PotterCast 167: The Truth About the Veil… and Dobby’s Eyes

364

Sep 30, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

It is back to the regular format of PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast this week for our 167th episode of Harry Potter news, discussion, and more. Sue opens up this episode with the latest in Harry Potter news, including updates on a number of the Harry Potter cast, the city of Edinburgh honoring Jo Rowling, the 10 year anniversary of “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” release, the cover to cover reading in New York City, and the announcement of the paperback version of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” release date. In addition to this, there is new canon from J. K. Rowling via “Harry, A History,” along with more from our interview with David Heyman. On the other side of the news, Canon Conundrums comes back for a special segment to discuss new canon given by Harry Potter J. K. Rowling in “Harry, A History,” about the veil. The PotterCasters talk about the great amount of detail J. K. Rowling gives us on this subject and how many of the characters respond to its magical properties. The show wraps up with a bit more about Melissa’s book, Banned Books Week, and much more. To listen, just hit the “Play” button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

“The Truth About the Veil… and Dobby’s Eyes”

- Catching up in Potter news.
- PotterCast is all ADD this week.
- “I’m a Harry Potter Star, Get Me Out of Here!”
- Recounting of Leaky’s talks with Harry Potter film producer David Heyman.
- A Canon Conclumdrum answering the question of the mysterious Veil from the Book Five.
- Where’s Waldo… BANNED!

RT: 66:09

Producer: John Noe

Additional Editing: Andrew Garner

LeakyCon 2009: A Harry Potter Conference in Boston
“Harry, A History” Website
Podcast Alley
Digg

Direct download (30 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (10 MB).

Remember you don’t need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

25 Responses to PotterCast 167: The Truth About the Veil… and Dobby’s Eyes

Pottercast!

Avatar Image says:

YAY! The tour shows have been awesome but I’ve missed our regular PotterCasts. Glad they’re back. :)

Avatar Image says:

yaya! Harry a History! Go milissa! cant wait to read the book!

Avatar Image says:

Yayy!!! Finally back to the old Pottercast!! The tour was wonderful, but I missed the regular episodes. Can’t wait to listen!!!

Avatar Image says:

yeah!!!!!!! the normal pottercast is back, when are u guys doing bit by bit agin of Harry potter adn the deathly Hallows

Avatar Image says:

So basically, this episode is a big ad for Melissa’s book? Not that I’m not looking forward to it but geez, way to really take advantage of the listeners by pushing HAH talk on us. Posted by Mevio on September 29, 2008 @ 11:33 PM LOLOLOL, my thoughts exactly.

Avatar Image says:

Actually, the canon stuff from Jo that they cover on the Pottercast is actually stuff CUT from the Harry, A History (so I think, as I recall Melissa saying this). Its not relevant to the book as the book is about the impact on people’s lives. the fans, world events etc. Its not about what goes on behind the veil or other canon. SO Melissa decided to tell us about the cannon rather than it be buried. So I for one is thankful for that!

Avatar Image says:

what’s new about dobby’s eye?

Avatar Image says:

squee! I agree with the Hufflepuff Giraffe, I’ve missed the regular shows! But it will have to wait until I get home from work for me to listen:( And Melissa – dont listen to the haters! Plug your book and share more canon with us all you want! I cant wait to hear more about the veil and whatever else you’ve got for us:)

Avatar Image says:

Loved the episode, as always it was a lot of fun. Just one thing though. I may have been a little hyper-sensitive while listening to the episode, but I felt atheism was being a bit maligned. It just took me aback somewhat with how everyone seemed to think it was necessary to make it clear that Hermione wasn’t an atheist, treating as though that would be a bad thing. Is it such a problem if she was? It sounded like you were being (for lack of a better word) defensive. I’m sure that wasn’t your intention, but it just came across like that a bit. Sorry for the gripe.

From a PotterCast-loving Atheist

Avatar Image says:

Melissa—I’m glad you aren’t shying away from talking about your book on the podcast. I’ve worked with big publishing houses and know first-hand how little publishers do for the first-timers in terms of publicity. You have to be your own best advocate, so rock on, girl. And I think discussion of HAH is appropriate for the podcast. Long-time readers of Leaky are likely to be interested in your book, as it’s an extension of what goes on here every day. Congratulations!

Avatar Image says:

CONGRATULATIONS MELISSA!!!!!!!!! :D I’m so happy your book got published; it’s got to be exciting! :)

Hooray for Pottercast!

Avatar Image says:

yeah what is the dobby eye thing? i am not going to listen because that person said it was offensive to atheists and i am not in the mood to get offended. there is nothing wrong with being an atheist (actually i think it is the right thing perosnally, but i dont act like religion is bad) so please tell me!

Avatar Image says:

OK, there really is nothing to be concerned about the little debate on atheism…I understand where Leo T is coming from but I don’t think it was quite like that. It was an opinion of Frak that Hermione “may” be an atheist. The rest of the pottercast didn’t have this view and simply gave their interpretation as to why they think she is not an atheist. I dont think they were defending the possibility as if it was an attack. I am actually disappointed in the depth of the debate. It was brushed over too quickly and Frak unfortunately was the only person with the “Hermione is ‘possibly’ an atheist” view and was totally outnumbered to have any strength to argue his opinion but also thy probably didnt want to dwell to much off tangent. Personally, I am with Frak and would have brought up more examples such as the fact that Hermione finds comfort in material proof, scientific and logical rationality. Examples are: Hermione always dismisses Luna’s apparent outrageous beliefs quicker than anyone else on several occasions. Hermione was given the the Tale of 3 Brothers to look for clues but fails to find it despite her brilliant academic abilities in research (lack of spiritual belief perhaps? Since Ron and Harry were both ready to accept their cloak to be the one in the book, Ron even arguing that the cloak would have lost some power by now if it was a normal invisibility cloak yet Hermione still dismisses it instead of pondering over the possibility). Then there is her total despise for divination classes so much so that against her own academic principles, flunks out of it! Basically, Hermione’s reaction to anything remotely irrational or spiritual is a firm “Dont be silly, there’s no such thing” or “Please dont tell me you believe that!”, “its just a fairytale” etc. This does not mean that Hermione is an atheist, but its a strong case for a debate. I wish Frak could have pursued! And if Hermione turns out be an atheist, then great. It would mean we have an even more richer wizard world than we first perceived where we have wizards of different spiritual beliefs including atheists, different sexual orientations, prejudisms, even debatable slavery!! But I really don’t hear anything to be offended by. Its just a little canon debate which actually spun off from the main canon of the meaning of the veil.

Avatar Image says:

poor Harry he loses his owl Hedwig and Dobby is killed by Bellatrix, then he goes to his Mum and dads grave and breaks down. in the sixth book Dumbledore dies then he breaks down and starts to cry.

Avatar Image says:

With regard to Hermione being an atheist, the real question is whether any of the 6 in the Ministry believe in a god, because believing in an afterlife and believing in god are two different things. In the Potterverse, the afterlife is basically a fact of life, since aside from Harry’s experiences in King’s Cross and meeting his dead parents and friends, there are ghosts roaming around Hogwarts, and the whole business of making Horcruxes by splitting souls, and I don’t think Hermione (by DH at least) would have any problem accepting things on that level. She seems to understand the Bible quote on the Potter’s gravestone, but since the Bible is a book, Hermione has probably read it.

But I don’t see any concept of a god in the Potter books, though there does seem to be an inherent morality, with Voldemort being punished for his crimes by ending up as that baby thing in the afterlife, because he refused to feel remorse.

Avatar Image says:

Eww, got a very “Event Horizon” feeling from this veil discussion, especially when John mentioned tethering someone to something and sending them through…

Avatar Image says:

Why are you totally ignoring talking about the delayed opening of the movie, how it affected the fans . Its like you don’t want to discuss real tough issues. Just keep pretending that everything is fine and no one wants to discuss this.

Avatar Image says:

Harry: I think the reaction to the delayed movie was expressed vehemently when the news first came out (at the beginning of August?) and by now most people have already said what they want to say and vented their anger, and so have moved onto other topics.

Avatar Image says:

The issue is in my opinion is that it should not be forgotten and the pottercast did very little on discussing this subject. So its OK to screw the fans with no repercussion about what they did.Just for your info , they (Pottercast/Sue)didn’t even have the courtesy to email me back when I asked them questions on this subject. I think thats poor taste.I don’t need to say anything else on this subject

Avatar Image says:

Well, I suppose you could go in your room, close your eyes, and hope real hard WB reconsiders. Maybe that would work. Or maybe you could bang your fists against the wall. Or you go outside and rail against the wind and the rain. Assuming it’s windy. Otherwise, you’re screwed!

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry, could someone just tell me what the thing was about Dobby’s eyes? I tried to sift through all the boring faith talk to find it, but I got tired of listening to it.

Yeah, don’t know what in the world that atheist debate was about. Since JKR never goes into detail about the religion of each of her characters…who cares…? The books aren’t about that at all, and I’m so glad they aren’t. I don’t think they would’ve been half as good.

Avatar Image says:

Where’s Waldo was banned because there is a nude woman on one of the pages. I learned about this in my children’s lit class and thought I would pass it on.

Write a Reply or Comment