“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” Audio Book Honored by ALA

114

Jan 15, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Today, the American Library Association announced their winners for the year’s top books, videos and audiobooks for children and young adults. In the first ever Odyssey Award for Excellence in Audiobook Production, the audiobook of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows narrated by Jim Dale was named an honor title, with the winning title going to Jazz. The US audiobooks of the Harry Potter series are produced by Listening Library, and you can hear excerpts of all seven of the narrations by Jim Dale via this link.

Thanks biblo!

21 Responses to “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” Audio Book Honored by ALA

Avatar Image says:

Good for the publishers and Jim Dale! I sure enjoy listening to these books on audio. Bloody ‘ell!

Avatar Image says:

Way to go Jim! I love listening to you!

Good for Jim Dale!

Avatar Image says:

Good for Jim Dale-I love the way he performs! Now, when is iTunes going to offer DH? I’ve got all the books except Deathly Hallows-whats the hold up?

Avatar Image says:

Jim Dale makes the audiobooks worth listening to. He is perfect for it, and way to go, he definitely deserved to win!

Avatar Image says:

I Love the audio books and I love Jim Dale’s reading of all 7 books. Congrats!

Avatar Image says:

When will iTunes offer The Deathly Hallows?

Avatar Image says:

WOW i must say congratz Jim, you earned it, i must say i never listen to something so amazing the way you play each person is great, i would never be able to read HP without you great help yeah great men Jim dale..

Avatar Image says:

I read all the books and use the audiobooks as way to enjoy them again while driving to work. Best audiobooks hands down!

Avatar Image says:

IDK, I never really liked the way he read the books. Maybe I just don’t like being read to but sometimes he was good, other times he kind of annoyed me. I’m glad that the potter series was honored though.

Avatar Image says:

Like the rest of the world, Jim Dale’s reading is a mystery to us in the UK where we have, thankfully for textual reasons, the peerless Stephen Fry. So I thought I would give the US reader a chance when I was recently on holiday over there. Well it is certainly very different to the Fry versions and Mr Dale does not do the voices anywhere near as well as Mr Fry who has the rather priceless advantage of having the author in the studio with him. But I still enjoyed his reading of “Deathly Hallows” and to my surprise found it beneficial to have heard two versions. He has a nice tempo (albeit a bit too one paced) and is good at the action sequences.

Avatar Image says:

I find it strange that Jim Dale’s legacy in US is the voice of Harry Potter books where as here in UK, he is the legendary star of many Carry on Films in the 60s and hilarious he was too. We have the great Stephen Fry as the voice of Harry Potter and i find it a shame that US listeners do not get to hear him. Fry is as close to hearing God as you can get. Jim Dale is rather too frenetic in his reading for my liking whereas Fry is music to the ears. But it is still wonderful that Jim Dale is honoured.

Avatar Image says:

Prof Potter – Yes – it has never been explained to me just how and why the US missed out on Stephen Fry. I have always assumed it was down to the textual changes but surely that could be easily arranged. I do not want to be overly critical on the subject of Jim Dale as our American friends (rightly in my view) are very sensitive to being patronised by us smug Brits, but they do seem to have got a raw deal in this respect. Jim speeds through the passages at breakneck speed and when he does attempt to use character voices…well, lets just say, he is no Stephen Fry ! Stephen’s Dumbledore is so definitive that he leaps out of one’s IPOD at regular interval. We in Britain should never forget however, that if it were not for Amercian money and enthusiasm and yes, creativity, we would never have had the films which so well compliment Jo’s books. Now if only someone would shake Warner’s trees and tell them to release extended DVDs, I would be happy !

Avatar Image says:

sorry to say but Dale sucks. Ever hear his Tonks voice? That explains it all. A mid-twenties woman really shouldn’t sound like that or I’d be concerned.

Avatar Image says:

I love HP Audio Books!!! Jim Dale’s voice’s are wonderful, they really are relaxing and enjoyable. Does any one know when Deathly Hallows will be on iTunes? The wait is killing me. I have it on CD but I want to complete my iTunes collection!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Ive heard a little bit of Jim Dale but he doesnt really bring it alive much for me anywhere as near as well as Stephen Fry. Stephen Fry is considered a kind of public treasure here in the UK which makes us Brits a little biased but Stephen is the “potter perfect narrator” as far as Im concerned. Im almost certain that Jo prefers Stephen Fry as well (as if that settles the matter XD)

Avatar Image says:

Leaky – can you do a little investigative journalism and find our why there are two narrators for the HP audiobooks? The reasoning behind having Dale for the US and Fry for the UK seems to be a mystery.

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know how one gets to become an audiobook narrator?

It’s one of my dream jobs. I want to go into a speech therapy career once I graduate high school (not long now, ahh!), and I’m avid in community theatre and have read the HP books aloud to my parents for almost 10 years.I have studied accents so much that when I’ve gone to foreign countries they have yet to realize I’m American! I really am curious as to how one gets this kind of particular job. Does one have to be an established actor/actress first? (If so, that puts a bit of a damper on it, lol sigh ).

Libby -Well Good luck !

But there is no reason to think that Americans are not great audiobook narrators as they are as good as anyone else. Do not be ashamed of your accent. I only have to mention the great Paul Hecht, whose wonderful New England tones would have, to my mind, been much preferable for the Amercian edition than Jim Dale.

But generally speaking, in the absence of author -star-quality editions (ie Bill Clinton) , evidence would seem to suggest that actors make the best audiobook narrators. Obviously they come posessed with the right vocal abilities and, of course, they can “act” !

In fact, if you ever get a chance to listen to Stephen Fry read the Potter books you will well understand why Jo and so many others are in absolute awe. To give one of a hundred examples, his reading of “The Dark Lord Ascending” (Ch1, Hallows) is astonishing and will put any future film version to shame.

His chilling Voldermort maliciously toys with poor Bellatrix and the other Malfoys like a mouse before dispatching poor Charity Burgbage -and then…....as the most evil of mine hosts…..”Dinner Nagini ?.......”

But good luck and who knows, we may be listening to your narrations before too long !

Avatar Image says:

We enjoyed Jim Dale’s readings quite a lot. In fact I’m starting to collect his other readings as well. I bought a copy of Order of the Phoenix read by Stephen Fry since I’d heard good things about his readings, and I’ve enjoyed him in the Hitchhiker’s Guide productions. My husband and I were both disappointed. In our opinions (which are just ours) Fry was unable to do convincing voices, and his women were too Pythonesque for my taste. I tolerated the slow pacing, but hubby did not like it. I did like his “alternate” pronunciations for names and spells, and I’m glad to hear these are as the author intended! Well, I will certainly give Fry another chance afetr reading the other remarks, but only if I get a windfall to be able to buy the other 6 audio books.

Now…on to a full cast, unabridged production! Anyone else for one?

(By the way, I read Deathly Hallows in print before I listened to Dale’s reading, not my usual practice. Any reader will put his/her own interpretation on a line, and I wanted this last book to be just Jo talking to me.)

Avatar Image says:

DALE VS FRY I love Jim Dale but am now, after all these postings, curious to hear Stephen Fry too. Interesting that you in the UK can get him on your IPOD. I asked around and could only get the series on disc no electronic versions at all.

FULL CAST PRODUCTION Full cast!! Yes that would be lovely but I imagine that’s not a possibility nor a full-length series until the last film is done.

Write a Reply or Comment