Dan Radcliffe Talks New Movie Role as Dan Eldon

264

Jan 22, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Previously we told you actor Dan Radcliffe was taking on a new film role for a movie based on the life of late photojournalist Dan Eldon. In a new interview with Empire magazine, Dan Radcliffe confirms he is interested in the film, however notes it is not as close to production as various media reports have stated. Dan says:

“There’s a lot of stuff flying around about this at the moment,” he said. “I am absolutely attached to it and it would be amazing to play that part. But people are making assumptions about when it’s going to happen and it won’t happen ’ if indeed it does happen ’ for a while yet. But basically…Eldon grew up in Africa and discovered a gift and a passion for photography. Eventually he got too caught up in something that lead to his death”.

To prepare for the role Radcliffe spoke at length with Eldon’s family about his life. “They showed me some of his diaries, which the film will be based on mostly,” he continued. “They’re incredible. There have got to be 20 books and they’re all inches thick, with things sellotaped into them and with wires coming out and everything. He was someone who died very young, but seemed to live as full a life as much as anyone who lived to be a ripe old age. It’ll be incredible to play him”.

Dan Eldon was a young photographer who was brutally murdered in Somalia in 1993, when he and three other colleagues were stoned to death after an angry mobbed turned on the journalists in the aftermath of a bombing in Mogadishu. You can read more about Dan Eldon here, as well as learn more about journalists who are killed each year while bringing the news, here.

Thanks Cian!

26 Responses to Dan Radcliffe Talks New Movie Role as Dan Eldon

Avatar Image says:

Makes me feel as though I ought to start writing journals!

Avatar Image says:

I bet he is going to take an Oscar…whenever this is released.It is surely Academy Award material this movie.I am sure he will do a wonderful job,considering his performance in Equus.

Avatar Image says:

OMG, they posted the story i suggested!!! I’m squeeing all the way from Ireand Sue!!!!!!!

whats the movie called?

Avatar Image says:

the journals do sound amazing.

It makes sense to me that this may be a project for a couple of years down the line, post Potter 7. Dan Eldon was 23 when he died and it is more difficult to ‘age up’ for a role than it is to look younger, and Dan is only 19 in July.

I was also wondering how he’d fit it in next year with a long’ish Equus run as well as HP!

Wow!!

This sounds great. Plus you know anyone whos a Dan Fan will go see it! its a garanteed hit !!

Avatar Image says:

dia duit fellow potter obsessors! cnt wait 4 dans new movie! gud tip cian! nice 2 kno dat der is fellow paddys in da potter world! wer bouts u frm? slan abhaile! XOXO

Avatar Image says:

This sounds like an absolutely incredible story.

Avatar Image says:

It sounds like a great project for Dan. I am sure that he will play it well. What was more poignant to me in this article was the link to the fallen or missing journalists page. Even though I read the news headlines every day, I had no idea how huge a number it would be representing journalist that have fallen reporting the news. We take free press so much for granted here. The whole issue reminds me so much of the sacrifices made by OotP members in their battle with Voldemort to have good triumph over evil.

Avatar Image says:

I think when it is made Dan will be wonderful in it and I am looking forward to seeing this ,so much. Dan Eldon’s life was amazing and will make a incredible film,and inspiration for many who see it.Even those who had not heard of him. Hope they can work out all the production soon as possible. I would hate for Dan to not have this role,I think it well be a incredible opportunity for him .

@ hannah

The movie is called “Journey”

Avatar Image says:

Do you think Empire could have found a more current picture of Dan? That one must have been taken between CoS and PoA. It would be a very challanging role for him. I am glad this new project isn’t being shoehorned bewteen the end of filming HBP and Equus in NY. It just sounded like too much

And isn’t it sad about Heath Ledger? I pray our Potter Kids continue to keep their heads about them.

Avatar Image says:

I have the feeling Dan will film this movie when the HP movies are finished, right now he has not time with so many proyects. I can not wait to see it!

Yes, Gable, I just heard about it, I still can not believe it… he was so young! Dan met Heath Ledger once in Australia too, Heath was recieving an award and Dan was the one who gave it to him. And he was playing the Joker in the new Batman movie with Gary Oldman… this is such a small world. I’m so sorry for his daughter. :(

Avatar Image says:

I am so proud of Dan, Emma, and Rupert for branching out. I just saw parts of Ballet Shoe on youtube…and honestly, I did not think of Hermione at all when I saw Emma portraying Pauline. She did such a fantastic job- and Dan will nail this role as well. I was really worried for them, and I was praying that they wouldnt be stuck with their HP titles for the rest of their careers, but that seems like it wont’ be happening!

Someone already said it, but I agree- this role could definetly be Oscar worthy for Dan! I like how he chooses roles that aren’t exactly run of the mill, but really have some major character depth.

Avatar Image says:

“A friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be somewhere else.”

“A mirror reflects a man’s face, but what he is really like is shown by the kind of friends he chooses”

“There comes that mysterious meeting in life when someone acknowledges who we are and what we can be, igniting”

“A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.”

“A part of you has grown in me. And so you see, it’s you and me together forever and never apart, maybe in distance, but never in heart.”

“A friendship that stops existing, was actually never there.”

“Never shall I forget the days I spent with you. Continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours.” the circuits of our highest potential.”

Avatar Image says:

First role not playing an orphan… good one Dan!

Avatar Image says:

Scratch that… I forgot about “My Boy Jack.”

Avatar Image says:

and you forgot about equus too

Avatar Image says:

He does like roles where he ends up dying though. :)

Oh well, the role seems too good to pass up anyway, regardless of if you died on the last one or not.

Avatar Image says:

That film is gonna be great…I love that kind of films…and Dan will be great too….he’s gonna have big successful career…can’t wait

Avatar Image says:

Another role tailor made for Dan. Another great film for him and awards will follow I’m sure

Avatar Image says:

i’ve never heard of this Dan Eldon before.but im only 12 (going on 13) so i guess I’ll learn more about him later. but i dont think it would hurt to see the movie…..haha I LOVE DANIEL RADCLIFFE!!!!

woot woot

and he seems like such a great guy and from the reviews i’ve read Dan Eldon sounds like a very interesting person and im sure daniel would do great!!!!

Avatar Image says:

You have never heard of Dan Eldon??????? Well, I guess since you’re only twelve we can let it slide…..haha but you are right, Daniel Radcliffe does seem like a great guy!

The role would really suit him and I’m sure he would make us all very proud!

Avatar Image says:

Dan is the best actor and I think he’s going to do great!!

Avatar Image says:

Well of course this movie is not going into production anytime soon. Dan’s just 18 and Dan Eldon was around 23 when he was stoned to death. DanRad will be too young if he plays him now. Besides, he has commitments to the POtter series. The media and the moviegoing public just seems to be waiting with bated breath for what Dan’s next project would be. He does have a knack for choosing good projects.

Avatar Image says:

I know the film will be riviting and Dan will be amazing. I will go see it, but I will HATE to see his character die. I was very moved by the actual event that has inspired this movie. There is just so much evil in the world, and we sometimes just associate KILLING with “WARS” and that is so far from the truth. Dan is truly growing into his acting abilities. He was always such a cute little guy, and now he is a handsome and intellegent and caring young adult. He is such a gentleman, and with his wonderful parents guidence, he will remain firmly grounded and live to see his full potential.

Write a Reply or Comment