“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” Czech Translation Released

114

Jan 31, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Today brings the release of another translated edition of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” this time in the Czech Republic. Czech news source Rozhlas reported the main release event was held at the Kanzelsberger Bookshop where hundreds of eager fans lined up starting Wednesday to get their copy at midnight. The store held an all day event for fans of all ages, which included a discussion with the Czech translator of the novels, Pavel Medek. Klára Honzíková, who organized the release event at the bookstore, compared this event to the previous releases by saying:

“I think it was quite similar. I think this was the third time we’ve done this in the bookstore. The attendance was around the same. Maybe this time it was a little bit higher because this was the last book. I think it turned out great.”

Ms. Honzíková also spoke to why she believes the phenomenon of the Harry Potter novels captured so many people’s imaginations all over the world. She said:

“Well, if you read the book, you’ll know. It’s a wonderful book, it’s beautifully written. And it has this combination of magic and the real world. So you feel like it really could happen to you. So, you think that maybe sometime you’ll get the letter and go to Hogwarts school. So I think that it is this that makes it more real.”

21 Responses to “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” Czech Translation Released

Avatar Image says:

So late????? Here in Croatia came out 3 months ago…we’re fast….. Harry Potter i darovi smrti

Avatar Image says:

Any way we can see a pdf of the Czech cover art? It’s been a lot of fun seeing how the different publishers and their cover artists present the Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

^its the same as the American and I agree seeing the different cover art is so cool

why so late?

Avatar Image says:

I guess better late than never right?

Avatar Image says:

You should see, the mexican edition is being published 21 February, although, i could care less, i have mine in english, hehehe. (i’m from mexico)

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’m from Spain (Catalonia) andthe book release in spanish and catalan is also the 21th of February, like in Mexico. I can’t wait any more!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m from Hungary and here the translation will be released on the 9th of February. It took time for them, to prepare it precisely, that’s why we can get it so late.

Avatar Image says:

wow, they had to wait a loooong time. haha

Avatar Image says:

God, I was in Prague at Xmas, and I saw the translation in the book shop windows then. Perhaps it as just to advertise it.

Avatar Image says:

Goodness, I saw it in the windows of Prague bookshops at Xmas; perhaps that was just to advertise it.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry double post, I though the other one hadn’t sent. Anyway it is great news, perfect way for them to spent the cold February days.

Avatar Image says:

The Spanish translation comes out end of February, it’s freaking insane. You would think that being one of the most spoken languages in the world would speed up the process a bit. But no… same happened with the release of Half Blood Prince, and I didn’t think the work they did was that great :/

Avatar Image says:

This brings back memories of living in Brno, Czech Republic when “Order of the Phoenix” came out (“Harry Potter a Fenixuv Rad”)

Avatar Image says:

yah! for the people of the Czech repubic! as for why its taking so long for translations in some some countries, the have to produce a translation that will be readable to the majority of the peoplein those countries as many countries have a variety of dialects that are spoken, and in many cases they are varaitonons the main language that is spoken in that country, sometimes with signifcant differences as for the Spainish language version, at least in the case of Spain they may have waited to complete the catalan version so they could be released together,

Avatar Image says:

I am from The Czech Republic and I know why it was released so late. Bookshopers just wanted to sell another books on Xmas than Harry Potter. Maybe it sounds funny, but I am not kidding.

Avatar Image says:

I guess they didn’t want to rush the translation. I’ve read the English version and now also the Czech version and I have to say that the translator did a really good job. Better later than sooner and worse.

Avatar Image says:

I love my translators :P I got the Turkish edition in October. this time they use the chapter arts, and the translation was amazing. Is the Czech version good?

Avatar Image says:

I am from Slovakia. Slovakia is country which is neighbour of the Czech republic. We delivered Deathly Hallows (Dary smrti) 18th January. It was awful, but I am happy, that fortunately I can read the seventh book. Do you know that Hogward is in Czech translation “Bradavice” and in Slovak translation “Rokfort”? And dementor is “Mozkomor”. And other very funny names. Slughorn is “Kriklan”, Dumbledore is “brumbál”, Skeeter is “Holoubková”. It is different, but funny for me :)))))))))))

Avatar Image says:

It was because of publisher, that the book came out that late. Even as the DH came out in July, the publisher said they will wait with this book till after Christmas, so “people will buy also some other books”. This of course upset a lot of fans, but they could do nothing. And in December, where the publisher could see they made huge mistake, they suddently claimed that the book was delayed because of “legal rights”. Well, if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you… Anyway, the translation is quite good. Not great, but still above average, there are some mistakes, of course, but it´s written very nicely and reads well.

Avatar Image says:

i cnt wait 4 da new movie hurry up.

Write a Reply or Comment