MTV Looks Forward to “Half-Blood Prince” in 2008

115

Jan 07, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

With the start of the new year come the lists of anticipated films due in the months ahead. MTV has a new article now online regarding the movies they are most looking forward to seeing, naming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” at the number two spot behind “Bond 22.” They write of the sixth Harry Potter film as follows:

“Harry’s going to kiss Ginny! Ron’s going to get an intimate whiff of Lavender Brown! Somebody really, really important will die! Although loyalists already know the major “Prince” plot points, all eyes are on director David Yates as he attempts to bring them to life while matching the book’s emotional impact. Last year’s “Order of the Phoenix” gave us darker imagery and dramatically heftier acting from the leads. Now, with the magical series winding down, could “Prince” be the film that finally stirs up Oscar buzz for Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and/or Emma Watson? With enormous sets like the underground cave that houses one of Voldemort’s Horcruxes, and new characters that include Jim Broadbent’s enigmatic potion master, Horace Slughorn, Yates certainly has his work cut out for him. If only there were a spell that could transport us to November.”

As we reported previously, Half-Blood Prince is currently in production, with many of the scenes featuring the students due to be recorded in the following weeks. Actor Alan Rickman is also due to film this month, returning again in his pivotal role of Professor Severus Snape. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be released on November 21, 2008.

46 Responses to MTV Looks Forward to “Half-Blood Prince” in 2008

Avatar Image says:

Jim Broadbent should be pretty great as Slughorn, I daresay . . . I’m excited for that. He may not be as short and round as book Slughorn, but I’m confident he can rise above that!

Avatar Image says:

Yay! So exciting. It’s hard to believe that it is so close! It’s this year!! Months away. It feels like there is still so much production left. It’ll come faster than we realize. Go 2008!

Avatar Image says:

A really really reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cool description…I cannot wait to see the Cave scene…And I’m pretty happy that Rickman comes in late January to start filming for 7 whole weeks!And even if I don’t like the romance I think that this will be the funnier and more enjoyable of all films…Even if I think it will be less darker than OotP, PoA and maybe GoF (hope NOT), there will be fun with Slughorn,Lavender,romance and Quidditch combined with the Pensieve, Draco and Snape stuff and the emotional and really dark finale…it will be a satisfactory film. I cannot wait for the teaser trailer and some new pics.

Avatar Image says:

In a month or two, I expect several high res images, and by March or April we should hear about the Teaser trailer. Can’t wait.

Avatar Image says:

well, I most say I am positively beaming with anticipation! The relationship that develops between Ginny in Harry is one of my favorite aspects of the books!! I cant wait to see it realized and tacking place on screen!

Avatar Image says:

I find it amusing that they think we know the major plot points of the movie just because we’ve read the books. The movies have left out many plot points from the books in the past – some of which were rather important – and the HBP movie will be no different. True, these cuts sometimes unavoidable, but that doesn’t mean that they haven’t been made.

Avatar Image says:

I was just remembering in the past few days how someone had posted a short fanfic before HBP was published, the major characters were clusterd around the major character who’d died and were eulogizing…

... turned out to be quite accurate when all was said and done…

Avatar Image says:

Well, hmmm, I think it’s time to get a countdown clock going…. ;)

Avatar Image says:

Although I think Oscar is unlikely this is the first Harry Potter movie I’ve been excited to see since POA.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know if the insinuation of oscar buzz is really necesary. i highly doubt it will happen. maybe for seven, what with all the emotional aspects, i wouldnt be surprised, but for six, i would be really shocked.

but, im really, really excited! :)

Avatar Image says:

I was getting quite dubious about that list until I saw the caveat at the top mentioning Dark Knight and Indy IV, which will be THE biggest movies this summer, to be talked about later in the week, and this list is top ten movies not starring Harrison Ford or a psychotic Heath Ledger. But, yeah, definitely looking forward. rubs hands together

Avatar Image says:

In the UK, Empire Magazine is also featuring anticipated movies in 2008 with biggest feature on Indiana Jones. HBP was in there but sadly with no new pictures – just one pic of Dumbledore from OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

I would like to think oscar would fit good with our gang of wizards and witches however not many big production movies such as star wars, Lord of the rings(etc) ever win their actors awards. Then win for special effects and such. However if yates pulls it off he can win. If that happens he may lock up DH ? Who knows but i am one fan who say’s come on november:)

Avatar Image says:

Yes, if only we could use a time turner. XD

And I’m sorry, I agree with the list and HBP being #2 … I can’t wait to see my yummy guy in Bond 22. ;P

Avatar Image says:

“all eyes are on director David Yates as he attempts to bring them to life” that’s right, ‘attempts’. I wish Cuaron was in the chair for this one.

There’s no way HBP could ever be the most anticipated movie of this year. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull without a doubt is. Also Bond and Batman.

Sounds great.

Avatar Image says:

I cant wait for HBP, its my Favorite book, and maybe my Favorite Movie. I remember in 05, Star Wars 3 was most anticipated with GOF behind it. And i am a fan of Both. Go Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll ever see an acting Oscar for Anyone from Harry Potter for their performance in the movies. Not that they aren’t great actors and actresses in their own rights, but I’d be surprised if there were Oscar whispers.

Completely looking forward to HBP. I can’t wait. Hopefully WB throws us some official bones soon.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Mountain Violet, how about a countdown clock, Leaky?

Avatar Image says:

YES! Violet Beaudelaire is right! COUNTDOWN CLOCK!!!! By the way….I would LOVE to see any of the ‘HP’ films and/or actors get Oscars…but I would think that, the only category open, would be ‘Best Foreign Film’...because it was entirely an English cast…I’m probably wrong, but, there it is. Then, again, it IS a WB and the special effects (you must admit) are fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

“Could “Prince” be the film that finally stirs up Oscar buzz for Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and/or Emma Watson? “

OMG that made me laugh. An acting oscar for a children fantasy movie. WHATEVER.

If any of the 3 above ever get nominated it won’t be for Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

i hope this movie is the longest out of all the rest because it needs the most imformation for the rest of the series to make sence but i hope they do there best!!

Rachel,

So what you’re saying is that it would be impossible for Judy Garland to have won an Oscar for her performance in the Wizard of Oz because of the fact that it was a children’s fantasy movie?

Look it up and “OMG & WHATEVER” yourself.

Avatar Image says:

GOSH GOSH GOSHHHHH – this makes me so excited for the movie to come out! Oh my gosh! – dklajjkfsf!!

Avatar Image says:

Violet, I think Rachel is saying it’s very hard for any actor in a Blockbuster movie to be nominated for an Oscar, much less win one. Johnny Depp comes to mind, but he didn’t win. The films’ best chance at an Oscar (besides art direction) will be the 7th film.

Avatar Image says:

hey, they could get nominated Rachel. I agree with Violet.

Avatar Image says:

Oh yeah, I cannot wait for the movie =))) For me, it’s really the most anticipated movie of the year :))) But… well, I don’t mean to sound bitter or offensive, but I don’t think that the Ron/Lavender storyline was so hugely important in the book… And they keep highlighting this storyline when talking about the movie. Huh, I really hope they won’t cut out any episodes from the book for the sake of including more Ron/Lavender scenes. I have nothing against Rupert Grint (whose portrayal of Ron is just great, to my mind) or Jessie Cave, but Book 6 is my favourite, and I would like the movie to be as close to the book as possible =)))

@Rachel, Violet and Christine:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other! Yes, Judy Garland got an Oscar, for ‘Wizard Of Oz’. But the current “trend” in the Oscar Process has gone away from “Children’s Movies”. I think, in my humble opinion, that the ‘Wizard of Oz’ win was a bit of a “fluke”. If I am correct, that was the last “children’s movie” to receive an Actor Oscar. Johnny Depp, as you said, is a perfect example of the “just because you’re in a blockbuster doesn’t mean you’ll get the award”. He was nominated, and I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to see anyone, from HP films, get the nod!

Avatar Image says:

I cant wait!!!! this movie will be the best! and it is no suprise that it is practically the most anticipated movie of 2008, on other sites and lists it has been no. 1. These movies keep getting better with each movie, the reason they are not revealing the dark side of the story is to surprise the audience who isnt into the books you know mainstream people. It would give away too much.

P.S. if we are mature enough to post on here we should be able to respect others opinions, that is the thing I find the stupidest about people now days nobody can think outside of the box, its like the capacity of the human brain went from100% to 5%. that is in the catagory of understanding and caring, it is still 100% as far as conceited goes.

Avatar Image says:

I forgot to mention my favorite part – there will be the most Snape in this movie- YAH! BABY! and I cant wait to see the brilliant performances of Cissy and Bella from Helen McCrory and Helena Bonham Carter, its kind of a given that Alan will be great as Snape.

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree that the hbp probably won’t get niminated 4 an oscar. I’m also really excited that there’s gunna be more snape! He’s one of my fav characters!! The parts with ron and lavender are gunna be really good and I’m rele happy that harry and ginny r gunna get together!!! Also the last thing that i’m happy about is that quidditch is coming back! I think it puts a different kind of thrill into the movie that I personally enjoy!

Avatar Image says:

The Academy rarely gives Oscar nominations to male leads under the age of 30. Females have a better chance of being nominated younger. However, depending on the quality of the Deathly Hallows when it comes out (and it will be wonderful), they may nominate the trio as well as the movie for the staying power of the actors and David Heyman. Some nod must be given for keeping this hugely sucessful francise intact for so many years.

Avatar Image says:

i have to say that i really dont mind if they get a nomination or not (that is my opinion)...... what i really desire is to watch HBP as soon as possible ‘cause i can not wait any longer!!!!!

well…... i’ll have to wait ‘till November :( .....let’s see what happens with the Oscar academy…..

Avatar Image says:

I am beginning to wonder a lot about these last two movies. And worried because supposedly JK has complete control over the movies. How could she allow such all important events to be left out of earlier movies when Draco, Snape and others who have been simply background characters, become so important in the last two books that we are going to believe that Draco can actually to something like kill Dumbledore or that Snape can be so complicated when all he has really done is slap Harry and Ron around when they misbehave. He became a little more serious in OOTP but was too little, too late. I hate the idea they are saying #6 will have more humor in it. This is not a comedy and is perhaps the darkest of all the books, how can they even think of adding humor to this movie. Someone said to me after I mentioned that JK had total control over what was and wasn’t put in the movies and they replied that maybe she slipped up on all the Pound Notes scattered around her kitchen floor, and really doesn’t care all that much about the movies anymore as she would like us to believe. I would hope that WB and JK Rowling don’t let the most successful movie franchise in history go down in flames at the very end. To be honest, I am very worried about what I am hearing and reading about these last two movies. Very sad.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe HBP doesn’t come out for another 11 months! I want it NOW!!!!!! throws big temper tantrum....

Avatar Image says:

countdown clock- bah i had to make my own on a third-party sight and it’s complete garbage x/ and i just tried to explain the whole lavender thing to my friend last night, but i had to do it in a way that i wouldnt wreck the whole movie for her, but she was still confused. can’t spoil anything for her- i accidentally let a teeeeeny detail slip about harry nd ginny over the summer, and she chased me around cvs with a magazine [ow] xP [she only watches the movies not reads the books- i forced her to read the first book though haha]

Avatar Image says:

YOOOOHOOOO!!!!!! I cannot WAIT!!! YAY Bring it ON all the ROMANTIC scenes between Rupert & Jessie!!! I’m really hoping for this relationship to develop, and also Harry and Ginny of course, but I cannot wait to get the promotional pictures of Rupert & Jessie Kissing, please David Yates, don’t include just one Kiss, I want to see the whole thing!! DO a lot of CLOSE-UP s if you need to, and also I can’t wait to see Quidditch AGAIN!! and all the dark stuff tooo, this is so exciting I can’t even breathe!!!! :)

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Mollywobble & Confederate Lady that it what I was getting at. I should have explained it better. No need to get all upset Violet.

Like others have said this type of movie doesn’t “catch” the academy’s eye like it did in the 30s & 40s. Fantasy rarely gets a look in. Sir Ian got a nom for the first LOTR but he didn’t win and wasn’t nominated again neither were the rest of the cast and there were heaps of rumours flying around about Sean Austin getting a nom but he didn’t. I think of HP as a “movie” and the type of pictures that are nominated for the Oscars, Globes, BAFTAs etc are “films” like Babel, Brokeback Mountain or Crash.

I wasn’t trying to be negative. The trio are getting better and better and I wouldn’t be surprised if one day they are nominated. I saw Driving Lessons a few weeks ago and Rupert was fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

oscar buzz??? Come on now…

Avatar Image says:

Much as I love these books, films, and actors, I have to agree that the chances of “Oscar buzz” for the three young people (that is, for their performances in the “Potter” films) are slim to none. The reference to “Wizard of Oz” is noted; however, um, that was 69 years ago, and things have changed a great deal in the film industry in that time.

Avatar Image says:

“If only there were a spell that could transport us to November.”

Don’t we all wish that? ;)

Unfortunately, with all those films upcoming in 2008, I don’t think HBP would would win Oscar…even though I want Harry Potter film to win one.

I think Deathly Hallows is more likely….too bad we have to wait till 2010 for that >_<

Avatar Image says:

Confederate Lady-Judy Garland did not win and was not nominated for Wizard of OZ. -if you Google 1939 Oscars (which were held in FEB. 1940) Judy Garland was not nominated for an Oscar for the Wizard of OZ none of the actors were. The actresses nominated that year were Bette Davis, Dark Victory Irene Dunne, Love Affair Greta Garbo, Ninotchka Greer Garson, Goodbye, Mr. Chips Vivien Leigh, Gone With the Wind The winner being Vivien Leigh for Gone with the Wind which was the movie that just about swept the awards that year

The Wizard of OZ was nominated in a few categories like song and art direction, special effects -The same kind of categories that HP usually gets nominated for but I believe only won for the song Over the Rainbow-They did get a nod for best picture but Gone with the Wind took that also. So even back then a so called Children’s Movie did get some recognition but the actors were all over looked just like HP

Avatar Image says:

im really excited to see HBP! just a few months..! i would be proud if any of the three get oscar nomination. :)

p.s.what is the rationale of posting same message for several times??

Avatar Image says:

Yeah Oscar buzz is not going to happen for the trio. Maybe for the last one, but, blockbusters are ignored by the Academy. Which is rather stupid, conisdering they are the most successful films in the year. Also, the Oscars has a long history of not giving one to the most deserving film/director/actor. You just need to look at someone like Martin Scorsese. He should have had at least 4 or 5 by now.

Avatar Image says:

I CANT WAIT FOR THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE!!! WOOOOO!!!!! :p DANIEL IS HOOTTTT!!!!

Avatar Image says:

elkmaria, I agree, I hope they don’t waste too much time with that plot, there are much more important things in the book. I mean, Harry and Ginny’s relationship is obviously very importnat, but Ron and Lavender?? Lupin and Tonks’s relationship is much more important and I’m not hearing anything about it being included in themovie!! And the Horcruxes plot! the only one I’ve heard talking about it is Daniel, glad he talked about it, because all the others just care about stupid plots…

Write a Reply or Comment