370

Oct 07, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Actor Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory) is set to be honored at the upcoming 12th Annual Hollywood Film Festival and Hollywood Awards which recognizes the achievements made by actors in new films, or based on their body of work. MediaBistro is reporting that Mr. Pattinson will being honored with the New Hollywood Award at the ceremony. Readers will remember that in addition to playing the character of Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter films, Mr. Pattinson is set to play Edward Cullen in the upcoming “Twilight” film. Actors Ben Stiller, Marisa Tomei, and the cast of “The Secret Life of Bees” are also set to receive recognition at the upcoming film festival and awards ceremony. Carlos de Abreu, Executive Director of the Festival, said the following of Mr. Pattinson being included in the recent announcement:

“It is an honor to recognize the great work and talent of Ben Stiller, Marisa Tomei, the principal cast of ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ and Robert Pattinson at this year’s festival.”

The gala and ceremony is set to take place October 27th, at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California. Many congratulations, Robert!

53 Responses to Robert Pattinson Set to Receive ‘New Hollywood Award’ at Hollywood Film Festival

Avatar Image says:

congrats to rob! he’s slowly but surely climbing up there! i’m sure he’ll have many, many more awards to come =]

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations! :) But seriously… i don’t really care about Twilight. I really wanna see him as Dali on the movie “Little Ashes”. Does anyone know when that is going to open!?........ I can’t find anything… Please let us know!...

Avatar Image says:

hurrah 4 rob! can’t wait 2 see him in twilight!

Avatar Image says:

I love Rob.. he deserves this.. he’s a great actor, seen all his work.. Greatness.. now i can’t wait to see “Little Ashes”, “How To Be”.. and of course “TWILIGHT”... i’m Robssessed!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

to carol carvalho: right now all i know is that “Little Ashes” is set to come out in early of 2009, in selected places.. but right now it’s just making it’s rounds in some film festivles like “How To Be” is….

Avatar Image says:

Not to take anything away from Robert Pattinson, I actually thought he looked pretty special and very promising just from his short role in GOF, I think he will reach great heights in his acting career. So I looked up his portfolio on IMDB to see what he has done so far and…well its a very small one. Twightlight is his second starring role but it hasn’t been released yet. So I just like to know what is this “New Hollywood Award” honoring? His potential? If it’s for his work done so far then fair enough but is his portfolio really substantial enough? I do get the feeling that it is a marketing tool for Twighlight. I dont know, the award just doesn’t make sense but so do many others! Whatever, congrats to Robert anyway and I look forward to watching Twilight.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations, to Mr Pattinson! What an achievement! Looks like we can expect more, from this young man, as well! I wasn’t aware the was going to be in ‘The Secret Life Of Bees’! I so want to see that movie. Unfortunately, like many movies, it’s going to be in “limited release” here, in the US. But I hope it comes here. Now I have an even better reason to see it! Again: congratulations, Mr Pattinson! Well deserved!

Avatar Image says:

@Professor Potter: To answer your question, re: “what is this New Hollywood Award honouring?” I was quite curious, myself, never having heard of them. First, I would suggest that you follow the link, given by Leaky, to the Award site. Check out “About Us” and it will give you the answers. I would also add, that, the Hollywood Awards are NOT new…we just don’t hear about them, because they are not “major” awards….I hope this will help folks who are curious. I found it quite, interesting, myself.

@ dulse

Thanks! I guess i’ll have to be more patient…. :P

Avatar Image says:

I wish the press release had mentioned Twilight and How To Be. These are the roles that will show casting directors that Rob is a formidable actor. Congratulations Rob you are going to craft a wonderful portfolio of roles over the years. The next Depp for certain.

Avatar Image says:

for what? for being good looking? nothing personal against Rob Pattinson but twilight isn’t even out yet, and they’re giving him an award? just because mindless fangirls think he’s hot? I really hate twilight,t it’s just another cheesy, badly written romance story and the reviews for the last book pretty much all said how awful the last book was and that Meyer writes like a 12 year old. yet so many stupid girls just care about an absurd, badly written story just because the main character is cute, that’s so shallow.

Avatar Image says:

Well researched as usual, Confederate Lady :) So it is basically a best newcomer award but the fact it is given to Robert close to Twilight’s release still seems to be somewhat of a marketing influence, as no one has any chance to judge his performance yet! But Robert shows much promise and his role in Twilight may very well warrant the award. But many here thinks he already deserves it so I best shut up!

Avatar Image says:

@ Professor Potter: I guess it’s Kinda like the Academy Awards, as far as “hype” for an upcoming release goes.. Anyway, I too, am seeing a bright acting future ahead He’s “not quite there” yet, but, he’ll definately be one to watch! :D Good job, Mr Pattinson! Keep up the good work! [Glad to be of service, Professor!]

Avatar Image says:

He has about as much charisma as a plank of wood.

Avatar Image says:

Yay for Rob!!!! I cannot wait to see him in Twilight!!! has a countdown and everything I also cannot wait for the Twilight sound track to be released! Rob is actually singing a song for it!!!! Chero

Avatar Image says:

Totally agree Cian, that plank of wood deserves at least a Golden globe award.

Avatar Image says:

Rob=Awesome. Twilight=Awesome. (Don’t hate me… I still like HP…. obviously or I wouldn’t be on this site!)

Avatar Image says:

So… i’ve never see rob in anything other than GoF and Twilight trailers/teasers so…. im in agreement with the majority:

what are we honoring exactly?

Avatar Image says:

@ loonyluna: What’s the point of commenting if you don’t have anything positive to contribute?? There’s no need to be rude and hateful just because you don’t happen to like Rob or Twilight. I agree that Rob hasn’t had much Hollywood experience thus far, but I think he’s a great actor and has a lot of potential. Also, I think the Twilight books are excellent stories and very well-written. There are many people out there who think that Jo’s books are worthless, but obviously an incredible number of people, including you and I, love them. So it’s really incredibly shallow of you to post such childish and arrogant comments here.

Avatar Image says:

No, it’s not because he’s just good looking! He’s breath taking! God like features….HOTTIE HOT HOT HOT! Besides all that, he in my opinion, is the next Johnny Depp! If he could team up with Tim Burton that would be fantastic! Yeah, Rob! Cant wait for Twilight to come out!

Avatar Image says:

they dont say anything about how robert & rupert got tMF’s Weekly Top 3.. robert got number 1 & rupert got number 3… stoll down to see it

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait for the soundtrack to come out.

Avatar Image says:

I want to hear Bella’s Lullaby.

Avatar Image says:

Somehow this seems small compared to the Presidential debate tonight.

Avatar Image says:

That’s fantastic. I’ve really enjoyed Robert’s work so far & I can’t wait to see everything else he does in the future. I especially enjoyed him in “The Bad Mother’s Handbook”.

Avatar Image says:

I woul;d have to agree that Pattinson has not proven himself yet because aside from his few indie films, the organizers have nothing to base that award on. Twilight is his biggest film and it’s not even showing yet. But I went to that site and it would seem like this is a fan award which is determined by the number of votes one gets from online voters. So that explains why Pattinson is getting this award. He has replaced Zac Efron as the HOttest flavor of the year.

As for this being a marketing hype for the Twilight movie – maybe. They’‘re promoting it like crazy. Have you seen the Twilight posters? They’re hawking it as the next biggest thing after Harry POtter. I just get so irritated that they’re riding the HP wave even in their official posters. And they’re pimping Rob too like crazy. He even sings one track in the Twilight soundtrack.

Avatar Image says:

Get real everybody. Awards like this can be bought. The HP trio didn’t have much to show for it either but they were inducted into the “Walk of Fame” alongside greats like JOhn Wayne just before the showing of OotP. It’s a publicity stunt. Same with this, The Twilight movie is showing next month and the producers are spending a fortune for marketing. I doubt if Rob can even sing but that’s media packaging for you, giving off an image of a talented actor. He’s hot at the moment (#1 LOL) and thiswill only add to audience interest for the movie. But Let’s wait for the outcome of Twilight in the boxoffice. Just hope that the boxoffice returns would be more than enough to offset the huge marketing budget for this movie.

Avatar Image says:

Perry, maybe the trio haven’t been around that long, but the HP movies have proved themselves to be the highest grossing franchise of all time.

So far “Twilight” isn’t proved to be a hit or critical success, and maybe it will be, but then again, maybe it will be a huge flop. Time will tell.

Avatar Image says:

I’m rooting for a flop, am I the only one who thinks the trailers are lackluster and the posters dull? Yes i’ve read the books for anyone who is about to try and slam me.

Avatar Image says:

Based on the level of interest the film has, I’d say there’s little chance of Twilight being flop, financially anyway. It could be rubbish, but it’s looking like it’s gonna be huge either way.

Avatar Image says:

for all those who’ve see no or little of rob’s work need to go to youtube or google video and check out bad mother’s hand book, and the haunted airman (it’s a little creepy but he’s really good for what he’s got to do in the film). Plus he did get awarded best actor for How To Be at the Strausburg intl film festival. Both How to be and LIttle Ashes are getting additional or sold out screenings at the the other festivals they’re running through. So rob is getting plenty of buzz in his own write, yes probably from twilight, but what’s wrong with a little boost.

Avatar Image says:

I’m quite pleased for Robert and it has nothing to do with Twilight or even HP. I’m interested in seeing How to Be, so that’s really nice for him.

It’s great to see so many of the young HP actors doing well outside of the franchise….

Avatar Image says:

i read a lot of the comments and agree with some of them. From the little footage of the upcoming twilight I saw that he isn’t just a` pretty” boy but he also has a talent. All those scenes described in the books how edward moves or his expressions are extremely well played by robert. If I could see that much good acting in 2 minutes imagine what the film will be like! I think he’ll be one of the great stars in the world and not just Hollywood. Also he has very beautiful eyes and great hair…..

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think the award is solely based on Twilight…actually I doubt that it even is based on it. He has two other films currently running at film festivals, “How To Be”, and “Little Ashes”, both of which have been getting very good reviews. Rob already won an award for “How To Be”. Though “Twilight” is highly anticipated because of its fan following, I believe it is the other two that they pulled their nomination criteria from. And if they are also going off past works, like some said, he doesn’t have many, but it’s quality over quantity. His characters in “The Bad Mother’s Handbook” and “The Haunted Airman” are amazing, and he plays them superbly.

Avatar Image says:

to those wondering why he’s winning the award with such a small resume:

It’s the new Hollywood award he’s winning. Thus, someone new and upcoming. He’s not suppossed to have a huge roster of credits already. The award is about someone who shows potential and talent and they pegged him because of the advanced buzz he’s gotten for Little Ashes and How to Be, and of course for his high profile role with Twilight.

This is not something Twilight related in terms of promotion, this is an established awards ceremony people.

Avatar Image says:

To perry: Walk of Fame stars are given out to people much less than the trio, trust me. It’s not exactly a pretigious honor so much as a testament to having some celebrity.

And why would Twilight “buy” an award for some awards ceremony that isn’t exactly front page news?

Again, the award he’s getting isn’t a prestigious honor either, but more of a sign of his rising celebrity.

It’s not like he’s winning a freaking Oscar here!

Avatar Image says:

why the HELL DID HE GET IT? FOR NOTHING!!

Avatar Image says:

HE IS THE B-E—S-T !!!!!!!
I LOVE you Robert!! There’ll be many many more milestones to overcome and many many more heights to achieve!!
I’M PROUD OF YOU!!!!
Totally agree with kerri on Page 1, he’s totally God-Like!!!
GOD OF LOVE, that is!!
He’s gonna be great in the future, my belief, and so is the belief of many of his fans.
WILL THERE BE PICS OF HIM ATTENDING THE EVENT??

Avatar Image says:

Why did he get it, Jim? Cause it’s for an up and coming actor who hasn’t done much yet but has potential. I can’t believe people don’t understand the concept of “new” as oppossed to “experienced” or “packed resume.”

Avatar Image says:

im sorry because hp fans becoming twilight fans.robert news in daniel news out.sorry but robert couldnt be next johnny depp.johnny depp to be not easy.he is unique.robert is only lucky because he is twilight star.if he doesnt play in twilight many people not interest about him.for example gof.

Avatar Image says:

Good for Robert. Looks like from comments above he is keeping very busy and the people making the award must have seen the promise in his other stuff besides Twilight (tho cynical part of me also agrees with Prof Potter about the timing and marketing thing). Besides being great looking he also has quite versatile looks imo, he could look charming but also frightening if applied in a thriller for eg. He also seems to be very much the man of the moment.

@britanny, they never mentioned tMF rankings for any of the past weeks either, when Rob and Dan both featured in the top 3! Is it just because it’s Rupert who’s mentioned this week that you are mithering about it?

Avatar Image says:

Well none of Robert’s other films have been shown in Sydney to my knowledge and apart from the Twilight books, haven’t seen hide nor hair of any film promo stuff. Maybe a big deal in the US and UK now, but here it is very quiet….........

Avatar Image says:

The reason Rob is being recognized is for his “starring” role in How To Be. Its being featured in a film festival. I dont like the way people are getting all sniffy about it. Just because he plays Edward Cullen doesn’t mean the “hype” is uncalled for…Twilight is a package with a lot of attention and fangirls. He just needs a chance to get more of his work out there, which is why I’m excited to see How to Be and Little Ashes C:

They should have explained what he’s been up to a bit more in this post. He also won another award for “Best Actor in a Feature” in How To Be: http://www.strasbourgfilmfest.com/films-up-for-nods-08.html

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to Rob! :) I’m really happy for him. He seems like a genuinely nice and talented guy and it’s really cool that he is going to be recognized for his promising career. :)

Avatar Image says: My mom and i just recently got to see How To Be at a local film festival and Robert is completely deserving of this award. He is truly an actor, not just a celebrity. A lot of people just think of him as Cedric but when we were watching the film I didn't see Cedric or even Robert, I saw poor pathetic Arthur. I believe great things are to come in the future from such an amazing actor.Avatar Image says: I love this new. Robert is by far one of the most talented young actors. He has shot to fame so quickly. He has more talent then Dan and Emma have in their little fingers. Sorry but its true. I cannot friggin wait to see him as Dali in Little Ashes, its gonna totally change his career. People will take him a lot more seriously after that role. Everyone who has seen the screening of Little Ashes said its the most emotional, beautfiul love story ever and that Rob and Javier are just fantastic in it. But being a huge Twilight fan myself, i cannot wait to see how he plays Edward Cullen, Everything i've seen so far has been very good. And he is also a talented musican. Man is there nothing he can't do! To think that he started off in that small role of Cedric. He has completely surpassed Daniel Radcliffe in every single way, no offence to Dan fans. I find it laughable that Rob started off in such a small, teen role, because he's litterally the next Johnny Depp.Avatar Image says: P.S. Robert has a rare talent for becoming his character. As Kat correctly pointed out, you will never see any of Rob's personality in any of his roles. He completely changes. Its GREAT! Kat is totally right, He's a REAL actor. He doesn't seem to care about fame at all. Its his passion, his talent. In real life he's just your average typical British guy who hangs out and likes to drink but when he goes on set....omfg its just amazing. I read this article where they described his process. When they call "action" he stares at the ground for 30 seconds and when he looks up, he has litterally become the character. Isn't that cool?! He reminds me of actors like Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, James McAvoy, and Ewan McGregor. They all seem to have that talentAvatar Image says: I've been lucky enough to see some of his other work (as yet unreleased in the US), and I have to say that this award (though slightly surprising at this stage) is well-deserved. He's gotten a lot of attention thanks to Twilight, but his performance in How To Be (which I have been lucky enough to see thanks to the film festival circuit) is outstanding - very endearing and extremely funny. I haven't seen Little Ashes yet (though it too has recently started the festival circuit from what I understand), and from what I've heard, his performance in that is also noteworthy and will probably garner him a great deal of critical praise.Avatar Image says: I am in love with EDWARD ANTHONY MASON CULLEN (and Robert Pattinson!!!!!!!!!!!!) I have been a devoted TRUE Harry Potter Fanatic forever. My boyfriend is a little jealsoe of Edward because I talk so much about him and the Twilight book (Im actually draging him to the movie premeir!) In the 4th film of HP I thought Rob was hot, but when I found out that he was playing EDWARD -ome- [for those whom dont know what ome is it stands for Oh My Edward] Rob then 'sparkled' [lol -Twilight joke] so much more in thine eyes!Avatar Image says: Im his future wife. ... he doesnt know it yetAvatar Image says: lavidjioAvatar Image says: Avatar Image says:

Write a Reply or Comment