Chris Rankin Talks Percy in “Deathly Hallows”

123

Oct 09, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As we reported a few days ago several actors from the Harry Potter films attended Ring-Con in Germany. HarryPotterXperts.de attended this event, and was able to conduct interviews with several of the actors including Chris Rankin, Stan Ianevski, and Jamie Yeates. Of note is a new interview with actor Chris Rankin, who said he hopes to return to his role as Percy Weasley in the “Deathly Hallows” films. Chris also gave his thoughts on Percy and what scenes he is looking forward in the final Harry Potter films. Of “Deathly Hallows” Chris said:

“One of Percy’s finest moments is walking back through that portrait into the Room of Requirement at the end of the seventh one when he finally comes back. I can’t remember what he says, something like ‘Did I miss anything?’ (laughs). I just remember reading that in the book and going ‘YES! Good boy!’. That would be fun. And then obviously getting to do a bit of action would be quite nice because Percy doesn’t get the hardest job really. He just walks around a lot and shouts at people. They might actually give me a wand if I did the seventh film, that would be nice. I haven’t had a wand yet!”

On the role of Percy in the books, Chris was asked if felt Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling “wants to teach us some kind of lesson through Percy?” He responded: “There are a lot of morals in Harry Potter and everyone realises that Percy was an idiot and even Percy knew he was an idiot so whether or not she was trying to teach us that blood is thicker than water and all that, I don’t know. I guess so. He’s just a good character from the point of view that he is just a prick really. It’s nice that he has the chance to come right in the end. I don’t think it’s wise to try and work out what Joanne K. Rowling is thinking because you could be there a long time.”

At the link be sure to check out the various videos, including one of Chris singing! Enjoy! Of interest as well are two additional articles, including this new interview with Stanislav Ianevski who talks his role as Viktor Krum, noting on a possible return for “Deathly Hallows.” Stan said that he doesn’t “know yet. It depends if they want to bring Krum back. He comes in for a little part in the book but you never know. I would love to be back.”

Finally, be sure to catch the interview with actor Jamie Yeates, who played the role of Slytherin Seeker Marcus Flint, who revealed that he has been hard at work pursuing a career in the film industry as an Assistant Director. He also spoke of his character by saying “He is a real obnoxious, big-headed, alter ego character and has this presence in the book when he’s playing Quidditch that everyone fears him. He is a feared character because you know that he’s continously out just to hurt people. They are generally frightened by that and when he smiles they’re probably frightened even more.”

Thanks to HarryPotterXperts!

35 Responses to Chris Rankin Talks Percy in “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

Hm, well if there was a lesson to learn from Percy’s obsession with getting ahead through the Ministry, it would have to be that the twins got farther following their joy with the joke shop than his blind ambition could ever have gotten him. (responding to Chris Rankin’s comments about how it was sucha bright wizard could be taken in by propaganda)

Avatar Image says:

I am glad that he liked the “Percy Moment” in DH. I hope they give him a wand in DH becaue I would hate to be a actor/actress playing a wizard/witch (especially one that I think has a important role in the story) and not have a wand in any of the movies.

Avatar Image says:

Well here is an actor thats read the books! i really liked the percy moment to.

Avatar Image says:

I hope every actor who ever appeared in the series gets at a small cameo in the last film! Include Richard Harris via digital magic. And, while they are at it, add in every character and creature in the books that were cut from the scripts. Just a shot in the background or photo on a table would sell tons of DVDs for us to search in the long eternity of Potterlessness to follow the last film.

Avatar Image says:

Well, obliviously this actor is not very deep. Percy was sensitive about his family’s lack of wealth and prestige and hoped to advance himself by joining with those who appeared to have it. This might not have been so bad except the people he was following were unable to see to the reality of the situation. Like many of the rest the Ministry he rejected evidence to the contrary including that from his own family. In sum, he was blinded by ambition.

Avatar Image says:

Speaking of Deathly Hallows (and by “speak”, I mean ramble on a bit…), I happened to switch to the TCM channel just now and “My Fair Lady” is on. I haven’t seen it in years!

At Higgins’s, Liza mentions that she’s from Tottenham Court Road… and I thought, “wait a minute…” I had to check to make sure, but that’s where Hermione brings Ron and Harry from the wedding. Hm…

And with her early catchphrase “I’m a good girl, I am!”, Liza reminds me strongly of … Winky.

Avatar Image says:

Wahoo! I hope he comes back, too!

Avatar Image says:

I really liked that part in DH with Percy. The reunion made me get a lump in my throat. They better have it in the movie, though they haven’t had Percy in the films since either the second or third one, I can’t remember which.

Avatar Image says:

Remus Lonno, Totenham Court Road is in the heart of London, it is perpendicular to the top of Oxford Street. Historically, it was a bustling street for market traders, today it still is but it has now become the centre of computer/electronics trading. But unlike standard high street stores, you can barter in the old traditional way in any computer/electronics store you walk in. It amused me when it was featured in DH, but it felt as if JK was imagining a historical Totenham Court Road as opposed to the modern one. I know it well, as I shop there often being an IT engineer by profession!

Avatar Image says:

I know all that, prof… wish I was there, actually. :(

Avatar Image says:

Even though DH will be apprx 5 hours long, I’m not sure if Ranking will have his favourite moment (I loved that moment too) since the movies have never established his character. Sure we see him on screen but there is zero development. If there are priorities of which characters to emphasise on in DH, Percy would be a low, imo. The moral in Percy’s redemption is interesting. He was very naive and let his lust for offiice promotion etch away his rationality and care for his family’s welfare. But he redeemed himself at the very end, having been slapped on the face with a wake up call with the horrifying truth of Voldermonts uprising. But what is the moral? I think the moral is all about remorse and forgiveness (2 very strong Christian elements). That everyone should be given a chance to mend their ways or make up for wrong doings. Rowling demonstrated this with several characters, Dudley, Kreature, even Malfoy. Harry even gave Voldermont an opportunity but he alas was a lost cause!

Avatar Image says:

Freakin’ awesome hair, Chris. I hope he does return- I like him as Percy, if only they gave him horn-rimmed glasses. That quote about “you could be there a long time” is right on the money.

Avatar Image says:

I actually CRIED when Percy came back to his family… I hated his guts in books 5 and 6, I really did, but when he entered and redeemed himself, I actually cried and wanted to hug him so hard… and when Fred died, how Percy was the one that felt it most… it’s all so emotional and so beautifully written… I loved it

Avatar Image says:

@ Random Person: Percy was actually in the fifth film, as the personal assistant to Fudge! He doesn’t say anything, but everytime Fudge is on screen he’s in the background. Pretty neat. :) Don’t think he’s in GoF though, and I can’t remember him from PoA either.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah your right Linda Lupos. Percy was in the fifth moviebut he wasn’t in GOF though. Not sure if he was in the POA. So glad that Percy saw the truth in the end. It seemed to be killing Mr and Mrs Weasley, not that any of their other children seemed to care. I wasn’t angry at Percy for leaving his family and not trusting them at first because who would want Voldemort to come back, but when he realised that Voldemort was really back then I started to get angry with him. He just wasn’t being fair to has family. NOT AT ALL!!!

Avatar Image says:

Shame Rowling never redeemed Harry for using Unforgiveables, eh? So much for morality.

Avatar Image says:

@ Remus Lonno: That’s awesome!! I’d never caught that before. I did, however, catch a line in the song “Grizabella the Glamour Cat” from the musical CATS: “She haunted many a low resort/ Near the grimy road of Tottenham Court.”

Avatar Image says:

@ Plain Jane: Dude, get over it. It has been more than a year since DH was published.

Avatar Image says:

I honestly think they won’t bring back Percy for DH, even for that scene. I’ve always thought the only reason why they brought Percy back for OotP was because they owned Chris another movie on his contract. Other than that, his character was pointless in OotP. If you didn’t KNOW it was Percy, you’d just think he was some random ministry person.

Don’t get me wrong, I was upset that they let that plot (regarding Percy’s separation from the family and Ron getting that letter from him) go in the movies.

For for all intensive purposes, movie!Percy went to the same place the youngest Winslow daughter from “Family Matters” went, .............the father ate him.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, Out of My System, I forget that after a year dreadful writing, plotting and characterisation suddenly become good.

Plain Jane

Harry died to save his friends. Doesn’t that redeem him somewhat for using the unforgivables? What exactly would he have to do to make you happy, since dying isn’t good enough?

Avatar Image says:

Phoebe: Percy was in OOP! Don’t you remember, when the fat lady’s portrait was slashed? Percy was on the stairway yelling at everyone to get back and let the headmaster through. I’ll have to watch GOF again to see if I see Percy. Bill and Charlie are never in any of the films. ;-(

ygoudeau

Avatar Image says:

All in all, I hope I’m wrong and Percy will be there, but him showing up won’t have the same impact, because they never showed him deserting his family. More crucial they did not show Percy dragging Ron out of the lake in GoF too, which is sort of a prelude to his reaction on Fred’s fate and shows that not withstanding his obnoxious attitude Percy carried deeply for his family

Much of his careerblindnes is btw the fault of his mother, she is a carring but very pussy woman, who is convinced that only a Minstry career will bring social security, well she had not quite seen her work cut out by Bill and Charley and saturated Percy with the inportance of making career. When the twins showed at an early state to cast their own mold, she must have pushed Percy even harder. Her suffering for Percy turning his back on them was what Molly fully deserved.

But alash the Percy-theme was not developed in the movies and Percy was reduced from a minor character to an extra in OotP. When left out storywise not much will be lost. It would be riddiculous to portaying at the last moment as the Prodegal Son I think it would even be better when he does not return in DH at all and give Ron the part bewailing the loss of his brother.

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree about what Rankin said about Percy. I was just a little sad that he didn’t mention how Fred got to die in his brother’s arms. tear They’d better keep that in the movie…

Avatar Image says:

That’s harsh, kamion. I love Molly.

Bill was in banking, that seems quite respectable, although Molly did fuss on about his hair. She seemed to approve of Charlie’s job. She did go on about her boys becoming prefects, but I wouldn’t say she pushed Percy into the Ministry. As a middle child, perhaps he was trying hard to make his mark and felt that following in his dad’s footsteps, and then surpassing him, was the way to go. As others have said, he did seem ashamed of his family’s earthiness and relative poverty.

I like Molly. She seems very authentic, plumpness, pushiness, and all. It must have been exhausting raising all those kids (particularly the twins), and yet she rushed to embrace Harry as well.

I have sometimes wondered why, since all the kids were of school age, Molly didn’t get some sort of outside employment if the family were struggling so much. But the working mom vs. stay at home mom conundrum will never be solved in our lifetimes, so I don’t want to go there.

I don’t disagree with you on any particular point, kamion. Just sticking up for dear old Molly.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know why you’re bothering, either. The fact is the series turned out to be deficient, both technically (the writing going from mediocre but with potential to dreadful) and ethically. If you can enjoy it despite that, yay for you, but don’t try and act like it’s some marvellous example of morality, because it isn’t.

Avatar Image says:

CHRIS RANKIN fits in perfectly as Percy- “the ministry-loving, family-disowning , power-houngry moron’’.

well, i’m glad he came around in the end.

Avatar Image says:

Plain Jane, or Dense Jane as I prefer to call you – why did you continue reading a series you thought technically moderate at best? Surely someone so in tune with literary genius could have found novels more worthy of your time. I suppose it does give you and all the JKR haters an excuse to vent on HP sites such as this, so whatever floats your boat.

Avatar Image says:

“Wonder however if Rupert Grint is up to playing the necesaairy agonistic feelings. He is a nice guy but I did not see him grow like Radcliffe.” ~ kamion

I too think they should just leave it at Ron, or many more heart wrenching have George there. My heart breaks just thinking about it.

I think that Rupert is definitely up to the task. Setting aside my Ron/Rupert adoration for the moment, I think the lack of others seeing growth may have something to do with Ron and to an extent Hermione being relegated to doing nothing more than “oh Harry” type stuff. Whereas, though Harry, Dan has been given the opportunity to explore Harry in different stages and emotional periods of life.

I think that’s why Rupert and Emma seem to be excited about HBP, because they are given more to do with their characters than, “oh Harry.”

My biggest fear, is whether the filmmakers will allow the situations to take on the intensity of the book (ie. totally taking out the fact that Hermione had to contain Ron and that he wanted to go after the Deatheaters.) They always seem to make conflicts short and neat.

Avatar Image says:

Um, Percy was Head Boy in PoA. He was in the movie. I think they’ll show Percy in DH movie 8. And I disagree that Molly was some awful woman who pushed Percy into the ministry as the only good carer. It was Percy who wanted that! He wanted to be better than his father and all sorts of stuff. The fact is they showed Percy on the other side in OotP so I think they will have him in that last scene to show him back on Harry’s side. I guess we’ll see.

Avatar Image says:

It seems a shame that they elected to omit one of the the most entertaining and funny charactors in the books,that of Peeves the poltergiest,every on ive talk to that read the books agree that he would have been a asset to all the movies. To bad ,maybe they’ll make a mini series out of the books,and be able to do them justice. Regards Greg

Avatar Image says:

I hope they have Percy in DH, but I can see how it wouldn’t make that big of an impact because of his screen time in the movies. I think Ron could be a good alternate or even George. If it was George though, I think it would be extremely sad.

Avatar Image says:

yes gregory, where is peeves? what could be better as an ending than many people being killed, lord voldemort finally being defeated then to have peevsey chime in with his “voldys gone mouldy” song.

And got to say Plain Jane, i agree with Scully, if that truely is your opinion why continue to read? and why come on a fan site dedicated to that deficient, both technically and ethically, series.

But more on topic, i predict (probably wrongly- not so great at divination) that Percy will be in DH, but only in the war scene. I think that they’ll get many recognizable faces back to fight, Percy included, but i doubt very much that Chris will get his lines from the book, as they don’t give us anything to show the family division in previous movies.

I really do hope Ronald gets more interesting parts in these final two movies, i know he gets the whole lavender thing but i hope it lives up to the book as well as it can do.. i want more Ron Weasley!

Then again maybe thats just because i totally love Rupert (as much as you can love someone you have never met..) :D

Avatar Image says: I think they give the charactor of Ron Weasley an injustice,all through these movies they ave taken lines from him and given to other characters,for instance,in the C.O.S,the lines about her being called a mudblood,were all told by Ron,not hermione or Hargrid,seems like all they want to do is make the character of Ron into some kind of lunk headAvatar ImagecrazyforSeverus says: I really hope Percy does get a big part in the Deathly Hallows. I heard they are bringing Krum back (yeah for Stanislav Lanevski). I'm wondering how Marcus Flint's character will be reintrouced...he wasn't in the book. Death Eater or friend???

Write a Reply or Comment