Celebrate and Read a Challenged Book

114

Oct 01, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Earlier this week, our Melissa posted a reminder that this week is Banned Book Week here in the US. This is an issue near and dear to all of us here at Leaky, and many of us are meeting this week by reading and reflecting on those books that have been banned or challenged. Thanks much to TLC‘s project coordinator Doris Herrmann, via her Leaky blog, you can now watch short excerpts of readings from these books that also hold a place in our hearts, as well as read some terrific entries with perspectives on how the issue of banning books affects us all. Enjoy!

9 Responses to Celebrate and Read a Challenged Book

Avatar Image says:

Go harry potter! :) first comment!

Avatar Image says:

Smashing read Sue! Her intro is very heartwarming too. To think these banned books that has so much humanitarian is considered vermin to some is a little difficult to get my head around. Guess I’ll listen to the others now, sorry had to check Potter first as every one here will do, come on! Convenient SUe’s is the first on the blog :)

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, I meant to say “humanitarian values”.

Avatar Image says:

Oh my gosh…awesome reads everyone!!! Sue- that is my favorite scene from allllll seven books and the way you read it was almost exactly the way I imagined it! it totally made my day to see all these people celebrating some of the greatest works of literature that our world has to offer. Keep reading!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wearing my “I Read Banned Books” button as I type. Another way to celebrate Banned Books Week is to check out programs at your local library. Many of them have special programs and readings to commemorate the occasion.

Avatar Image says:

Sue had me in tears, very well done. I just had my baby 2 weeks ago but I already read to him every night, he even has his own Harry Potter book set. Next week we start the Golden Compass trilogy. Reading is just too important a part of life to let it go by the wayside.

On a side note, I can’t wait to read Melissa’s new book to see how the interview with Laura Mallory went ;)

Avatar Image says:

My book group is reading “His Dark Materials” right now. (We are all rabid Harry Potter fans, and our DH meeting was the BEST.) If you haven’t already done so, go to the ALA site and peruse the list of banned books—then resolve to read 5 or 10 of them! I was disturbed at the number of cherished favorites on the list.

Avatar Image says:

qzaxigsbncazrncfbibxtxzuskcekt

Avatar Image says:

I clicked on the Banned Book Week link in this article and the page said that I’m not authorized to view it. It said there was a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the website and mine was one of them.

Is that supposed to be a joke or something? I have no idea why I would be banned from a banned book webpage, or any webpage or site for that matter.

Write a Reply or Comment