Dan Radcliffe Talks Epilogue of "Deathly Hallows" Movie and more on Inside Actors Studio

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
October 16, 2008, 11:53 AM

As readers will remember, a few weeks back we first told you that actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) would be a guest on the Bravo channel show "Inside the Actors Studio" for their new season.  The recording of the program took place early last week at Pace University, and the first snippets from the interview are starting to appear online via a new article from The Pace Press newspaper.  Among the many topics discussed with interviewer James Lipton, Mr. Radcliffe briefly mentions the Epilogue in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" in regards to actors Rupert Grint and Emma Watson portraying characters Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger in the film adaptation.  He says: "It's going to be a source of entertainment to see Ron and Hermione together."

In addition to this, Mr. Radcliffe speaks further on the Harry Potter films and his experience working with the cast and crew.  When speaking of the "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" film, he remembers during the interview that director Alfonso Cuaron was able to push him to his limits when acting.  He says of Mr. Cuaron's directing style:

"You want somebody you can suggest things to, not someone you're intimidated by. You also want somebody who will turn to you after a take and say, 'That was not very good at all.' That's how you know you can trust his judgment."
Mr. Radcliffe continues, speaking on his childhood and what brought him into acting after he describes himself as being "crap at everything."  When asked if, as a child, he lived through his imagination, Radcliffe replied:  "Yes, and I still do. I have this fascination with the world. I like to observe weird things like how a door closes, or the grates on a subway platform."  Mr. Radcliffe also feels he shares a few characteristics with the character of Harry Potter, including a "innate curiosity about the world…" and, he says, "We have very good friends too."

Finally, Mr. Radcliffe's performance in the Peter Shaffer play "Equus" leads to talk of his preparation for the physically demanding role, the psychological aspects of the story, and his experiences with the American audiences.  Of the differences between the UK and Stateside audiences, he is quoted as saying: "[New York audiences] are amazing. They pick up on everything and are more generous."

As we've reported many times on Leaky, "Equus" currently runs through February 8, 2009 at the Broadhurst Theatre in New York City.  A limited number of tickets are still available and can be purchased via this link.  More information the play and performances can be found on the official “Equus” website.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

sam

Thank U, izzywitch, that’s a great interview!!!!!! Don’t know why it’s not on the NY Times TimesTalk podcast, tho. But that lead me to subscribe to their podcast so thanks are in order for that as well.

Posted by sam on October 17, 2008, 06:20 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Hi, Professor Potter! You always seem to see the “whole picture”! I absolutely believe you are right on the money, when looking at the “door closing” thing. I do that too…and I especially am impressed by those who can go on this show and come back, later. There is so much to be learned about how an actor grows! I love ’Actor’s Studio’ and have seen many aspiring actors return. Not only once, but maybe twice. I was so impressed with the growth shown, with Tom Hanks. He has come a long way, and you’re right…we’ll see Dan again!

Posted by Confederate Lady on October 17, 2008, 06:36 PM report to moderator
Pamlovestoread

Just a question for anyone who knows: will there be any way to get a copy of this show (once it’s aired, of course)? I don’t get the Bravo channel & I see on their web site that only certain episodes are available for purchace. Any suggestions? I will be SO bummed if I don’t get to see this!! Thanks.

Posted by Pamlovestoread on October 18, 2008, 02:23 AM report to moderator
Regan

Aw, I was excited to hear what his favourite curse word is ;D

Posted by Regan on October 18, 2008, 03:25 PM report to moderator
kassia

Exactly, Professor Potter. That’s what I do. I like looking at things, like a ipod, and thinking what people hundreds of years ago would think of it, or how computers can manage to fit all that information in such a small space, or how paint works.

Posted by kassia on October 18, 2008, 10:46 PM report to moderator
qwill

Dear Professor Potter,

Okay, I thought about well-worn tables, and hinges too. Mostly I had a good laugh about home improvement projects gone wrong. What IS that black gooey stuff around the hinge pin?

I also thought of the magic created when a fourth grader is home alone with a bouncy bed and a popcorn ceiling.

Maybe I should send Mom some flowers.

Posted by qwill on October 19, 2008, 04:51 AM report to moderator
DragonRider348

Hmmm I didnt even think they would be filming the Epilouge. It should be interesting.

Posted by DragonRider348 on October 19, 2008, 10:37 PM report to moderator
mki

I was lucky enough to attend the taping and he was really good – it’s a shame that it’s going to be cut down from the over 3 hour interview that took place. It was a long evening for sure! He was very quiet at first & Dean Lipton had to ask him to speak up quite a few times. He was really getting into it as the night went on. It was really funny how “pained” he was to see himself up on the big screen.

Posted by mki on October 20, 2008, 01:33 AM report to moderator

"I went to see Professor McGonagall this morning, just before breakfast. I've decided to drop Muggle Studies."[br]"But you passed your exam with three hundred and twenty percent!" said Ron.