Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Amy

What was the last fad that lasted 11 years?

Seems to me they’ve largely proved their staying power already.

Posted by Amy on October 21, 2008, 02:16 AM report to moderator
WannabeWeasly

one has to wonder if sue changed professor brown’s results to those of her liking… ;) haha just kidding. love ya sue!

Posted by WannabeWeasly on October 21, 2008, 02:16 AM report to moderator
Alison aka NobleBirth Descending

Hopefully we Hufflepuffs can keep this series alive long enough to still have interest when Half-Blood Prince is FINALLY released in the theaters… Surely, anyone who has actually ‘thought’ about the HP series rather than glazing over it for a quick read weekend of entertainment will agree that it has staying power.

Posted by Alison aka NobleBirth Descending on October 21, 2008, 02:21 AM report to moderator
Bowtruckle

Interesting…Yes, I have always considered myself a Hufflepuff and am definately a Hufflepuff reader – slow, steady and systematic :)

Though I have to disagree on his final statement that HP books would lose staying power – these books are classics and will be read for many generations to come :)

Posted by Bowtruckle on October 21, 2008, 02:28 AM report to moderator
Jen

amazing, I’m a hufflepuff and a hufflepuff

does that make any sense at all?

Posted by Jen on October 21, 2008, 02:31 AM report to moderator
Katie

I very much disagree. In this logic, we would all be Hufflepuffs, would we not? Not to mention the things that he said about the books. I’m not entirely sure this should even be worthy of a post.

Posted by Katie on October 21, 2008, 02:36 AM report to moderator
Agustin

As I always have said, then it seems like I am a Hufflepuff because of the way I reacted to the books. I still enjoy every once in a while reading passages of them and rediscovering the joy.
Nice guess Prof Brown!

Posted by Agustin on October 21, 2008, 02:46 AM report to moderator
Liza

Hufflepuffs for the win! : )

Posted by Liza on October 21, 2008, 02:47 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

I am, most definitely, a Gryffindor. I have not read all through the comments, but this begs one question: Where is Slytherin, in all this? Are they not one of the houses, in Hogwarts? No mention, that I can see, of Slytherin! Hmmmmm!?

Posted by Confederate Lady on October 21, 2008, 02:53 AM report to moderator
SybilT

Amen, fellow Hufflepuff!

Posted by SybilT on October 21, 2008, 02:58 AM report to moderator
Olga

I guess I’ll claim my Ravenpuff side for this! I’m still rereading the books!

Posted by Olga on October 21, 2008, 03:04 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Did go back, and re-read Professor Brown’s article. The last paragraph [“Finally….”why did we ever read this stuff"] is rather interesting. NOT He, apparently has never been, as someone else we know, to a fansite. Also, this is not a “fad”…I think, possibly, that many adults may grow to not read ANYTHING, after a while. Then, again, I may be wrong. Before everyone jumps my collective arse, let me add: ‘Harry Potter’ will be about as much of a “fad” as Shakespeare or Dickens! It is an historic series of books, written by an extraordinary lady, about an extraordinary “world”. And it has sparked a reading frenzy, that will never be equaled, in our children, as well as ourselves. I know that my child reads them. I’m pretty sure his children will read them, on and on. I can even see ‘Harry Potter’ becoming a “staple”, in High School English classes. Along with Tolstoy and Steinbeck. After all. There are already College English Courses that focus on JKR and ‘Harry Potter’….I’m just sayin.’ Forgive my long windedness! A true Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw [and yes, even Slytherin] knows the way!

Posted by Confederate Lady on October 21, 2008, 03:07 AM report to moderator
H

I guess all of us here are Hufflepuffs. Surprise! Who would go back and wonder why we read Harry Potter? That is blasphemy, I tell you! Harry has staying power and the potential to become a classic. I, for one, will love his tales and the world he spawned my entire life. Harry forever!

Posted by H on October 21, 2008, 03:10 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

I should really “porf red” before I post! LOL A couple of minor “corrections” #1: should read “NOT!!” #2 should read " He, apparently has never been, [as someone else we know POINTED OUT] to a fansite" Sorry about the “errors”

Posted by Confederate Lady on October 21, 2008, 03:15 AM report to moderator
Rebecca Gossett

I am a proud Slytherin who definitely prefers the books over the movies and has read each book more than 10 times. Yeah, this guy definitely did not do his homework. No staying power? Tell that to the millions of fans who have been loyal for years.

Posted by Rebecca Gossett on October 21, 2008, 03:27 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Hermione's obsessed with house-elfs," Ron muttered to Sirius, casting Hermione a dark look.