Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Remus Lonno

Well, here’s one Gryffindor who’s an exception to this study, and will still be rereading into the foreseeable future…

Posted by Remus Lonno on October 21, 2008, 03:24 PM report to moderator
Bre

I’d really like to look at his research methods—from what I’ve read so far, it looks like he wasn’t exclusive enough in his sample.
Don’t get too in a tizzy—“studies” like this often are rejected by the scholarly community as being too flawed for approval.

Posted by Bre on October 21, 2008, 03:27 PM report to moderator
Bre

If anyone would like to ask about my above comment—or would like me to explain the mechanics of sociological research, and expound on why his methods seem flawed, feel free to email me.
This is a subject I could go on and on about.

Posted by Bre on October 21, 2008, 03:31 PM report to moderator
Loony

Well, like many people have said, I suppose I must be a Gryffinpuff or a Huffledor – I read them quickly, but enjoy rereading countless times. Yes, I will always be loyal to Harry and ALWAYS a HP fan. Once a fan, forever a fan (for me, at least) and Harry Potter will not fade away from me.
Why did we ever read this stuff? He thinks people will think. Is he a psychologist…can he foresee the future? Well, I for one know exactly why I read ‘this stuff’ and will still be reading it then, I can guarantee it!

Posted by Loony on October 21, 2008, 03:37 PM report to moderator
mandy

i’m a gryffindor but obviously this article has called me a hufflepuff. i’ve been reading the series over and over again since DH and haven’t stopped. good job professor so and so!

Posted by mandy on October 21, 2008, 03:39 PM report to moderator
Javier

I think there will be renewed interest in the books and the movies when the theme park opens up.

Posted by Javier on October 21, 2008, 03:53 PM report to moderator
LisaMarie

Well that is complete and utter…

Yeah, not accurate at all.

Posted by LisaMarie on October 21, 2008, 03:54 PM report to moderator
Caty

I’m either a Hufflepuff or a Gryffindor!! In real life iam actually one of the two!!

Posted by Caty on October 21, 2008, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Obidonwan

Like most professors, his opinions are only that.

Posted by Obidonwan on October 21, 2008, 04:29 PM report to moderator
rosie

Definatly a hufflepuff then. I’ve read the series so many times its ridiculous. I read hp every night without fail, finish 7 and back to 1. Will always read them.
Nothing can even compare to hp ever ever ever !!!

Posted by rosie on October 21, 2008, 04:45 PM report to moderator
Carol Carvalho

“It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say ‘Why did we ever read this stuff?’ "
OMG… this guy is an idiot… sorry! but is true. Is he a professor? Yes…. that’s exactly how books work, no other generation will “discover” these books… it will all fade away! Oh… gimme a break!

Posted by Carol Carvalho on October 21, 2008, 04:49 PM report to moderator
Louise

Okay, so I’m mostly Ravenclaw in real life, but partly Slytherin, so I’m Slytherclaw right? But according to this guy I’m a Gryffinpuff, that’s a bit of a change. I don’t think that anything that has affected so many of our lives so much will ever be out of fashion, maybe not as popular, but it is in no way a fad.
Does anyone else think he confused the Slytherins with the Squibs?

Posted by Louise on October 21, 2008, 04:52 PM report to moderator
Macarena Lovemore

Interesting… guess I am a Griffindor/Hufflepuff Hybrid as well.

“the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power”… Really? This magic will be everlasting as new readers discover and fall in love with the series… as we all did and will again. I for one can’t wait until my niece and nephew are old enough so I can read it to them… in the meantime, I read it to the elderly… great magic that keeps on giving!

Posted by Macarena Lovemore on October 21, 2008, 04:57 PM report to moderator
ogdensnut

What guff.

Firstly, I don’t fit into any of these categories, and neither does anyone else I know.

Secondly, it sounds like a joke. “the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube.” Hmm, I am also an academic, and this doesn’t sound… well, academic. At all.

I confess myself surprised that so many people here have been so quick to identify themselves with his little boxes. All he’s done is use a stereotyped idea of Hufflepuff intelligence to imply a criticism of loyal readers (please note that I intend no offence to any Hufflepuffs here at all, who I believe to be more than clever enough to read a book because they like it, rather than because they’re either slow or over-loyal) whilst implying that supposedly more intelligent houses like Ravenclaw and Slytherin (let’s leave Crabbe and Goyle out of this) are too bright to get sucked in.

Anyway, it smacks of a publicity stunt to me: it’s deliberately controversialist – “Harry Potter’s just a fad” and "People will look back and say, “Why did we ever read this stuff” – (Er… ‘cos it’s a really good story).

Just my opinion (but I think it’s better than his!)

Posted by ogdensnut on October 21, 2008, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Synne

I mean, this has got to be written by a non-Potter fan. I am a Ravenclaw, as I am a bit (slightly sarcastic here) theoretical – and yes, I write fanfiction, but I read the DH in 8 hours the night it came out and I still re-read all the books! No way this fandom will ever fade away, and no bloody way will people ever say ‘Why did we ever read this stuff?’!!! Jo is an amazing writer, and the Harry Potter books are classics alongside The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. Agree anyone?

Posted by Synne on October 21, 2008, 04:59 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Well, no one really knows until they get there, do they, but I know I'll be in Slytherin, all our family have been -- imagine being in Hufflepuff, I think I'd leave, wouldn't you?"