JKRowling.com Updated with News on "Beedle the Bard" Launch

Books
October 28, 2008, 08:26 AM

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has updated her website this morning with a news entry on the launch of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Jo writes of the special tea party which will be held in Edinburgh, Scotland December 4, reminding us of the various contests being held to attend the event, as well as noting one of the original handwritten books she gave as gifts after the completion of "Deathly Hallows" will be on display in Scotland. Readers will recall that Scholastic editor Arthur Levine will provide his copy of Beedle for display at the New York Public Library December 4 through January 4, 2009 as well. The proceeds from the sale of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" will benefit the Children's High Level group charity, which helps vulnerable children in Eastern Europe. Jo writes that she hopes " The Tales of Beedle the Bard will not only be a welcome Christmas present to "Harry Potter fans, but an opportunity to give these abandoned children a voice."

For more on The Tales of Beedle the Bard, please click here to Scholastic where you can also download a poster of the book cover (pdf), here to UK publishers Bloomsbury, or here via Amazon.com which has short summaries of each of the tales contained in the book. You can also pre-order the book via our Cauldron Shop.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Madeline

Yaaaaaaaaaay for Beedle the Bard!! I’m so excited!! And I’m so glad Jo is involved with so much work for charity. It makes me even prouder to be a Harry Potter fan. :)

Posted by Madeline on October 28, 2008, 08:34 AM report to moderator
Eriskay

I can’t wait for this!!!

Posted by Eriskay on October 28, 2008, 08:38 AM report to moderator
Lillylove

I agree, Madeline! As it turns out, this Fall is turning out just fine with Melissa’s book out in a few days & then “Beedle” on it’s heels come December!

Posted by Lillylove on October 28, 2008, 08:43 AM report to moderator
Beeeeeeee

has JK ever specified as to why she never updates the site anymore?
I used to look forward to her journal entries etc. so much prior to the release of DH,
and ever since then its just been dead.

Posted by Beeeeeeee on October 28, 2008, 08:45 AM report to moderator
Johanna

I miss her diary so, so, so much. :( I wish she would update that too – or just the whole site more frequently.

I can’t wait to get my copy of Beetle the Bard and read it in my Christmas holiday. Which reminds me, JK didn’t even put up her Christmas decorations on the site last year. :( I wish she wouldn’t forget us so easily and keep us updated via her website.

Posted by Johanna on October 28, 2008, 08:54 AM report to moderator
Neil in Scotland

Lillylove and Beeeeeeee, you are both spot on! This autumn is really looking up with these two book releases!! And yes, it’s also great to get an update on Jo’s site after so long!! It would be great to see them more often, but I suspect Jo has her reasons.

I’d also like to say that I think Amazon deserve enormous credit for their part in this fund raising effort. I would have been very easy for them to have been against publishing Beedle when you consider the amount of money they spent on buying the original!! Well done guys!

Posted by Neil in Scotland on October 28, 2008, 08:58 AM report to moderator
emmy

Oh I can’t waaaaiiiitttt for this book!

Posted by emmy on October 28, 2008, 09:03 AM report to moderator
emmy

@ Neil and others

About Jo’s site: I assume she’s not updating it a lot because there’s not much new stuff to be said?… (Still, I’m with you guys- JKR more updates would be fun!)

Posted by emmy on October 28, 2008, 09:05 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Not that I am that fussed but since Harry, A history has its countdown and spinning book (which I am very highly anticipating), I would have liked Beedle the Bard to also have a countdown and spinning book! I am so highly anticipating it. I always wonder however, if this book would have been more anticipated if Amazon didnt tell all the stories?? I read all of the stories on there and wish I hadnt!

Posted by Professor Potter on October 28, 2008, 09:23 AM report to moderator
Manuela

there are a lot of questions she could answers! just take a look to the open letter of harrylatino

and this update is very dissapointing. she doesn’t say nothing new. and her excuse about the age limit is unbeliable.

Posted by Manuela on October 28, 2008, 09:53 AM report to moderator
emmy

@ Professor Potter

Amazon let us read the stories when there were no plans yet to publish the book?…
Although, they probably bought it with this exact intention, but then they’d be- well, pretty stupid then, to let us read it already. So I’m just assuming they hadn’t decided to sell the book at that time…
An personally I don’t mind that much that I’ve read them already… It’s like our muggle fairy tales: I’ve got a whole book of Grimm fairy tales, even though I already know what happens to the Sleeping Beauty- sort of…

Posted by emmy on October 28, 2008, 10:00 AM report to moderator
Michele

I cn’t wait for Beedle to come out. I hipe Amazon ships it early like they did with Harry a History. :)

By the way Melissa I received your book last night at 6 pm and I was going to sit down to read but then I got involved in the World Series (Go Rays-you have to love the underdog) but I did start reading at about midnight and stayed up unitl 2:30 reading it. I am really enjoying Harry a History and wish you the best of luck with it.

Posted by Michele on October 28, 2008, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Emily

I’m so excited!
And about the contests… I know there’s the Scholastics one (open only to US residents, argh!) but Jo said that Bloomsbury and Amazon have contests too. Does anyone know anything about these?

Posted by Emily on October 28, 2008, 03:31 PM report to moderator
steph

I agree with others who wished JKR still updated the sight. The lack of updates just makes the end of HP that much more real.

Posted by steph on October 28, 2008, 07:32 PM report to moderator

"My gran says that's rubbish," piped up Neville. "She says it's the [i]Daily Prophet[/i] that's going downhill, not Dumbledore. She's canceled our subscription. We believe Harry," he said simply... "My gran's always said You-Know-Who would come back one d