Borders in London to Hold Midnight Release Party for "Beedle the Bard," Waterstone's Planning Day Release Events

Books
November 10, 2008, 04:43 PM

TLC has received word of what we believe is the first midnight release parties being planned for The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Thanks to TLC reader David  we now know of two parties being held at book stores in the UK. Borders at Charing Cross Road (near and dear to us here at TLC as it is also the location of the Leaky Cauldron in London) is set to hold a special midnight release party for the new book by J.K. Rowling due out December 4. Information posted on the Borders website reads as follows:

Join us in store on Wednesday 3rd December for events Harry Potter style, taking us right up to the release at 1 minute past midnight on Thursday 4th December. Be the first to own the long anticipated release from J.K. Rowling.

Additional London events are being held (Watford, Islington, Kingston) as is one by the London Colney Borders, where the site has a bit more on things planned for that event.

J.K. Rowling 'Tales of Beedle the Bard' MIDNIGHT PARTY!
12:01 pm, Thu 4th Dec 2008
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling returns with her highly anticipated new novel 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard'. Join us here at Borders London Colney for the midnight launch party and be one of the first to get your copy. There will be all kinds of activities on the night leading up to the release of the book at 1 minute past midnight. Reserve your copy for just £2.00 and get Jonathan Stroud's 'The Amulet of Samarkand' and Justin Somper's 'Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean' for FREE when collecting 'Tales of Beedle the Bard'.Pre-order before 21/11/08.

Dublin, Ireland will also see a midnight release party for The Tales of Beedle the Bard, as the Borders store there says "We'll have Face Painting, Fancy Dress prizes, Magic Potions and readings from The Tales once it's released at midnight and much more!"

Other UK Borders holding midnight release parties include: Dundee, Scotland, Glasgow-Fort,  Inverness, Scotland (day party only, plus weekend event), Fort Kinnaird, Scotland (midnight, plus weekend event)

UPDATE: Many Waterstone's stores in the UK are planning DAY RELEASE parties, starting at 8am on December 4 for the release. A full list of those stores is available here. Please note that at Waterstone's you can currently pre-order The Tales of Beedle the Bard at half-price! As of now we do not know of any Midnight parties planned here in the States. If you know of a special release party being planned for Beedle, please leave a comment below and we will update this post.

Thanks so much David of EvannaLynch.net!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Jessie

Freakin’ crap, what about in the states? Oh please please please let there be a few midnight releases here.

Posted by Jessie on November 11, 2008, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Kim

Trust the Waterstones I work at not to be on the list!!!

Posted by Kim on November 11, 2008, 04:05 PM report to moderator
rupertgrintILY

Jessie, hey stop being greedy ;P (lol jokes), you get part of a theme park over there and all that, we usually miss out on stuff.. especially those of us who live in the middle of no where ___
my local waterstones.. NOT on the list. oh well.. i’ll just buy it then i guess :| no release party for me..

Posted by rupertgrintILY on November 11, 2008, 05:53 PM report to moderator
Becca

I’m there! This might be the last chance to get to a midnight release, who cares what day it’s on?! =P

Posted by Becca on November 12, 2008, 06:40 AM report to moderator
LemonFaerie

I went to my local Borders the DAY we learned Beedle was being published to request a midnight release. They said it was “being discussed” and I have pestered them several times since. So far, no news. I am thinking they are not going to do it, which makes me SO sad, I was really looking forward to another HP event. I hope Jo is hard at work on the Scottish Book, you KNOW we’ll get a midnight release for that one!

Posted by LemonFaerie on November 12, 2008, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Ellatrix

I’m pretty sure there’s another midnight party, at Borders in Ellsmere Port (England)!

Posted by Ellatrix on November 14, 2008, 11:38 AM report to moderator
Zach

Here in the states I got our local bookstore to do one! It’s in the southern Ohio.West Virginia area. Here is the facebook page for the event. http://www.facebook.com/events.php?ref=sb#/event.php?eid=45030200406

Posted by Zach on November 20, 2008, 03:09 AM report to moderator
Phil

would really like to talk to any people going to this – msn me pmcmahonatlive.co.uk
facebook me: philip mcmahon devonport hight school
email: 13phil13atgmail.com

haha! yes this is a social plug :) wooohooo

Posted by Phil on November 30, 2008, 03:53 PM report to moderator
Saskia

I am reeeeeeeeeealllllly ANNOYED Ithought the Beedle The Bard was out on 4th of december at night but no ive just found out its on 3rd of december at night and my mum wont let me and my friend go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Saskia on December 03, 2008, 03:52 PM report to moderator

I wish that my Borders had one of these! :(

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on August 24, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator

I wish that my Borders had one of these! :(

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on August 24, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator

I wish that my Borders had one of these! :(

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on August 24, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator

I wish that my Borders had one of these! :(

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on August 24, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator

I wish that my Borders had one of these! :(

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on August 24, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator

I wish that my Borders had one of these! :(

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on August 24, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Why would anyone want to celebrate the day they died?" said Ron, who was halfway through his Potions homework and grumpy. "Sounds dead depressing to me...."