RDR Books Files Notice of Appeal

News
Posted by: Kristin
November 11, 2008, 04:08 PM

As we reported in September, Judge Robert Patterson ruled in favor of J.K. Rowling and Warner Brothers in the copyright case against RDR Books, publisher of the book version of the Harry Potter Lexicon website. RDR Books has now officially filed a notice of appeal. An actual appeal will follow.

Past Leaky coverage of the trial can be found here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Kate I hate RDR and I hope the next judge rules against them quickly so that we don’t have to keep hearing about this rubbish
Posted by Kate on November 11, 2008, 07:28 PM report to moderator
Jessie

facepalm

Posted by Jessie on November 11, 2008, 07:56 PM report to moderator
Nimbus-X

Great…….

The judge’s name is hillarious though.

Posted by Nimbus-X on November 11, 2008, 07:56 PM report to moderator
Nimbus-X

Great…….

The judge’s name is hillarious though.

Posted by Nimbus-X on November 11, 2008, 07:56 PM report to moderator
Lazy Kitty

Just give up already. You’re never gonna win.

Posted by Lazy Kitty on November 11, 2008, 08:08 PM report to moderator
liz

I guess they like beating a dead horse.

Posted by liz on November 11, 2008, 08:58 PM report to moderator
wdieffenbacher09@elmira.edu

Even though I don’t agree with RDR, I have to say they’ve got guts.

Posted by wdieffenbacher09@elmira.edu on November 11, 2008, 09:11 PM report to moderator
Audrey

Ugh…

Posted by Audrey on November 11, 2008, 09:13 PM report to moderator
Kellianna

What do they hope to gain in doing this? They can’t seriously expect to get that book made.

Posted by Kellianna on November 11, 2008, 10:54 PM report to moderator
celia

I hope they lose again.

Posted by celia on November 11, 2008, 11:53 PM report to moderator
hpboy13

Oh thank goodness, RDR hasn’t given up – there’s still a chance to protect the fans’ interests. Maybe this time there’ll actually be some reasoning.

Posted by hpboy13 on November 12, 2008, 12:25 AM report to moderator
Elyzie

LOL I also thought it said Robert Pattinson. At first I actually thought I read that he had landed a new role as a judge in a Warner Bros movie… that’s what I get for reading Leaky half-asleep. ;) But yeah, the appeal seems pretty ridiculous at this point.

Posted by Elyzie on November 12, 2008, 12:59 AM report to moderator
Sophie

Not this again… I get this bad feeling in my stomach every time something about this case is mentioned. I was so scared RDR were gonna win the first time. I believe the appeal will go much the same way as the original verdict, but that though doesn’t stop the bad feeling in my stomach. It’s just so… worthless! and risky for us fans all over. What if something happens and the judge makes the wrong decision? Warner Bros. would have to shut down websites that had HP fan fiction in it, fan sites that used a version of their art, Podcasts that used the music from HP, fan videos on youtube, etc etc etc. It’s just too much to think of. A part of me comes dangerously close to hating RDR for doing this. I just don’t understand why they don’t agree to releasing a re-written version of the book with original commentary and analysis. One thing is certain, though, RDR has completely ruined their chances of ever selling any book to a Harry Potter fan again.

Posted by Sophie on November 12, 2008, 07:31 AM report to moderator
LMB3

Is anyone else suspiscious that they filed this the week after Melissa’s book came out? This could have been done months ago. It almost feels like they were waiting for it. I really, really hope I’m wrong.

Posted by LMB3 on November 12, 2008, 07:43 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

I think from RDR’s point of view, there is nothing to lose by doing an appeal apart from court costs and lawyer fees. In fact it was the most likely next step. The thing is, I get the feeling SVA was putting this behind him as he has now (astonishingly!) got a new Harry Potter related book set for release in a few days! The funny thing is Amazon.co.uk couples this book with Melissa’s Harry A History as a recommendation! lol.

Posted by Professor Potter on November 12, 2008, 07:57 AM report to moderator

[i]"Ministry of Magic?"[/i] bellowed Uncle Vernon. "People like you in [i]government[/i]? Oh this explains everything, everything, no wonder the country's going to the dogs..."