Tales of Beedle the Bard Pre-Orders "Shipping Soon"

Books
November 29, 2008, 07:23 PM

With just four days left until the release of the new book by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, fans (including this editor) who have pre-ordered their copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard have started seeing their order status set to "shipping soon" or "dispatching soon." Very exciting business indeed!
On a related note, the LA Times is one of many papers starting to preview the book which goes on sale this week on December 4, with the paper giving some new details on a time frame for the book and a quote from Dumbledore. It reads:

It's J.K. Rowling's new book of short fable-style stories set in 16th century Muggle society, a time before the wizarding world went into hiding (as they are in the "Harry Potter" novels). Thankfully, Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore puts the collection in context for modern Muggle readers, noting that "Beedle was somewhat out of step with his times in preaching a message of brotherly love for Muggles." (Thursday)

As a reminder, The Tales of Beedle the Bard were first mentioned in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and are now being published in 23 countries on December 4, 2008. All proceeds from the sale of the new 128 page book will benefit the Children's High Level Group charity. As reported many times previously, Scholastic, the US publishers of the Harry Potter novels, describes this new book as follows:

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers’ attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  Now, thanks to Hermione Granger’s new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: “The Wizard and the Hopping Pot,” “The Fountain of Fair Fortune,” “The Warlock’s Hairy Heart,” “Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump,” and of course, “The Tale of the Three Brothers.” But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.

The stories are accompanied by delightful pen-and-ink illustrations by Ms. Rowling herself, featuring a still-life frontispiece for each one. Professor Dumbledore’s commentary—apparently written some eighteen months before his death—reveals not just his vast knowledge of Wizarding lore, but also more of his personal qualities: his sense of humor, his courage, his pride in his abilities, and his hard-won wisdom. Names familiar from the Harry Potter novels sprinkle the pages, including Aberforth Dumbledore, Lucius Malfoy and his forebears, and Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington (or “Nearly Headless Nick”), as well as other professors at Hogwarts and the past owners of the Elder Wand. Dumbledore tells us of incidents unique to the Wizarding world, like hilariously troubled theatrical productions at Hogwarts or the dangers of having a “hairy heart.” But he also reveals aspects of the Wizarding world that his Muggle readers might find all too familiar, like censorship, intolerance, and questions about the deepest mysteries in life.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

givemesomeTLC

OMG Sue I love you! squee! I almost wish I’d ordered it in the mail just so i could participate in this experience of true excitement over a book once more.

Posted by givemesomeTLC on November 30, 2008, 08:25 AM report to moderator
Dawn

My status now says they “posted” it last Wednesday! Eeeee!

Posted by Dawn on November 30, 2008, 11:53 AM report to moderator
scurvy_cur

I just checked my status (I ordered from play.com) it says it was posted on wednesday! YaY!

Posted by scurvy_cur on November 30, 2008, 01:44 PM report to moderator
emmy

With me, it’s ‘not yet dispatched’ :(

Posted by emmy on November 30, 2008, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

I am sooo excited for this book. I will be going to the midnight party on Wednesday night at Picaddilly. And get my CE from Amazon following morning! This however caused me a great deal of stress in answering the current Leaky poll ;)

Posted by Professor Potter on November 30, 2008, 09:01 PM report to moderator
Moody One

Still no change in my order status! : (

Posted by Moody One on November 30, 2008, 11:06 PM report to moderator
Carebie

I pre oredered mine the Leaky posted about it, but Amazon is saying that it won’t be shipped till the 8th

Posted by Carebie on December 01, 2008, 12:59 AM report to moderator
Cindy

You all are so lucky, those of you that have the ‘shipping soon’ from amazon massage. This morning after I read this post looked at amazon and it says ’Shipping December 8th". I hope it will ship earllier.
Though if it dose ship, as it is a christmas gift to myself, should I hold off and open it on Christmas. I will be picking my standard edition up at barns n noble when it opens on the 4th.

Posted by Cindy on December 01, 2008, 08:02 AM report to moderator
Moody One

My CE says it will be shipped the 8th. My standard says the 4th. Still no change in shipping status. : (

Posted by Moody One on December 01, 2008, 10:16 AM report to moderator
Jared

I just ordered mine, but it won’t ship until it comes out :( it’s supposed to get here the 9th, but i don’t mind tooo much cause that’s my birthday!

Posted by Jared on December 01, 2008, 03:20 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

Just over one day to go!!

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on December 02, 2008, 11:22 AM report to moderator

[i]1. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favorite color?[br]2. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's secret ambition?[br]3. What, in your opinion, is Gilderoy Lockhart's greatest achievement to date?[br]... 54. When is Gilderoy Lockhart's birthday, and what would his idea