RoundUp of HBP Set Reports Previews: More on Harry and the Waitress, Quidditch

HBP Film
December 16, 2008, 12:28 PM

In addition to the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Set Report preview posted by TLC and other Potter fan sites, a few more have now appeared online that give some additional quotes and insights of the sixth Harry Potter film. Of interest is more on a scene that was widely reported on several months ago, regarding Harry Potter flirting with a waitress. Rotten Tomatoes reports on this, noting this creative new addition to the plot came from the mind of screenwriter Steven Kloves. Director David Yates elaborates:

"Steve came up with this notion that, after Order of the Phoenix, Harry's in this quite intense, dark place and he's riding the trains to free his brain a wee bit and he meets this really attractive waitress who he really likes," he told us. "You immediately set up the notion that suddenly these characters are a bit more aware of the opposite sex. I thought it was a really charming, lovely idea."

Sci-Fi Wire also posted their preview that contains new information about Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and Quidditch. Quotage: We also observed the filming of a scene in the Great Hall, which is filled with Hogwarts students at breakfast (big platters of sausages, racks of toast). It's the day of Ron's (Rupert Grint) big Quidditch match, and he's nervous as heck. Ron enters the hall, kitted out in full Quidditch gear.

Students call out encouragement: "Good luck, eh, Ron?" "Countin' on you, Ron!" "I've got two galleons on Gryffindor!"

The camera, on a crane, tracks Ron as he walks into the hall and down the central aisle. He encounters a towering student; they stop, do that left-right dance. Ron edges around him, then emits a big sigh. Not happy.

The article also goes on to have more from actor Dan Radcliffe on the developing romance between his character of Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley, played by Bonnie Wright. "Yes, I've got everything with Ginny, which ... has been fun. It's good, fun scenes, and hopefully that'll come across on screen," he says. He adds: "It's slightly odd, though, with Bonnie, because when Katie [Leung] came in to play Cho on the fourth film, it was very much the case when she came in, we always knew she was going to be as a love interest. Whereas, of course, when I first met Bonnie, she was just another character; she was, I think, 9-10 years old when I first met her, and so it's very strange. I've sort of grown up with Bonnie, and now suddenly having to play love interest scenes is very--it's kind of odd."

Thanks much Joe for emailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Zivlok

SL – I actually felt exactly the same way. When reading HBP, I actually talked back at Harry, mostly “WTF?”ing him, and I do think a few “Ew!”s were thrown in there. Now, I did come around to the pairing, and I really liked that scene at the Burrow in the beginning of DH, but it still took some getting used to.

Also, to me at least, it seemed a little out of the blue. I mean, there had been almost no build-up, and suddenly there was a chest monster. Now, I personally loved the chest monster, but to me it just smacked of “But why are they in love?” “Because I said so.” So, smacked of Twilight-esque romance, essentially.

Posted by Zivlok on December 16, 2008, 08:13 PM report to moderator
drummersgirl

I never thought Harry finally noticing Ginny was off. I thought it should have been sooner as I could tell by the way Jo was writing her that she was good for harry. For Dan and Bonnie its different because they don’t have the hots for each other – but I think they can play their characters effectively in the romance department. I’m looking forward to it!

Posted by drummersgirl on December 16, 2008, 08:34 PM report to moderator
iheartpink

I AM OUTRAGED!!!! there can not be a flirting scene. it would be completly changing the character of harry potter!!! he’s supposed to be a completed idiot when it comes to girls or at leasts that’s the way i remember reading it!!!! plus, when would harry be at a random resteraunt? isn’t he still under age and supposed to be watchin out for voldemart? there’s no way dumbledore would just let harry wander the streets by himself!!!

Posted by iheartpink on December 16, 2008, 09:09 PM report to moderator
sl

I agree “iheartpink”. Even more than Harry flirting (which does seem a bit off), my first thought was, why is he wandering around outside of the Dursley’s house where he is unprotected? That is so wrong in so many ways.

And yes Ziviok – I too felt it was out of the blue. He all of a sudden smelled her scent in potions and it was like OMG – I’m in love with Ginny!

Posted by sl on December 16, 2008, 10:38 PM report to moderator
Crow Skyler

What? Harry has been aware of girls in every single movie from Chamber of Secrets onwards. It’s like they think this relationship angle is new or something.

Posted by Crow Skyler on December 16, 2008, 10:42 PM report to moderator
ginny

You need chemestry to have a romance…it looks like dan and bonnie doesn’t have it…I’d better be wrong…still think Alfonso Cuaron has been the best director ever, he really got the essence of the JK book…while Ootp…hum, David Yates know too little about heart and romance…

Posted by ginny on December 16, 2008, 11:37 PM report to moderator
porpy1

Ginny and the rest – I agree with you. David Yates was and still is the worst director for this series. It seems like Porkey’s from the 80’s. A stinking teen movie. Heyman needs to get a grip if he’s going to have Yates direct the rest. There will be no academy award like for the Hobbits. They at least were true to the books. Yates is the worst ever and we are in trouble if we think the final movies will be good. He thinks it’s only about him. He’s only interested in making a name for himself. He wants us all to think he’s creative. But guess what? It’s Rowling who is the creative one. Not him.
Sorry if this sounds angry. But it is.

Posted by porpy1 on December 17, 2008, 01:42 AM report to moderator
SB

WHAT THERES NO DUBLEDORE FUNERAL?!?!

Posted by SB on December 17, 2008, 01:55 AM report to moderator
porpy1

No. SB, there is no Dumledore funeral in this film. From what I heard about David Heyman, the producer, he thought that yes, he would like to see it – but there was already a funeral with Cedric. Yes, I know. He just doesn’t get it. David Heyman the producer of the Harry Potter movies, JUST DOES NOT GET IT!

Posted by porpy1 on December 17, 2008, 01:59 AM report to moderator
radcakesfan

Why are they wasting screen time on quidditch? Why is Ron doing the sidestep dance (a scene we’ve already seen played with Harry and Cho) important and driving the story? It doesn’t, plain and simple. THAT is the waste of time they could be using elsewhere. The Harry riding the rail scene is rather full of poignancy. Here’s a kid, who is suffering from abuse from his guardians and “other” threats , doing what other kids do when they have nowhere else to go or do. That he could find a little escape in the smile of a young lady who doesn’t know who he is or why he’s famous, is charming and i bet a little true to life. I imagine all of the actors find it a bit freeing when they realize or think no one recognizes them or treats them unnaturally. Also it’s just the fact that he resides in the house of his blood relatives is what protects him. It’s not that he has to stay inside all the time. The danger is if he should quit that protective site altogether.

Posted by radcakesfan on December 17, 2008, 03:15 AM report to moderator
Callisto Lamia

Why invent new stuff and new scenes? the book speaks for itself more than any film ever can. There is not need to add stuff to it, esp. when at the same time important scenes (D.’s funeral) are left out. I really, desperately hope, I will not be disappointed with the film in the end… after all this waiting!

Posted by Callisto Lamia on December 17, 2008, 03:55 AM report to moderator
Shefali

I’m just really depressed we have to wait until july to see this all come out. It doesn’t sound TOO horrible, I guess.

Posted by Shefali on December 17, 2008, 04:40 PM report to moderator
aliemo

Seriously guys, you say Harry being flirtatious is so unlike him.Well, he’s gonna be hiding while Dumbledore is about to get killed, i think THATS more unlike harry. Its not like hes paralyzed like he was in the book, hes just hiding, the book harry would’ve stunned malfoy. And i think since Harry is 16 he should be more mature (he’s not the 11 year old innocent harry anymore) so flirting is a bit natural of him.And please stop whining about the movies not being loyal to the books, i think its time for everyone to get over it and accept the truth!

Posted by aliemo on December 18, 2008, 01:34 AM report to moderator
Marc Vibbert

Wait… Why would they cut Dumbeldore’s funeral ?

Posted by Marc Vibbert on December 18, 2008, 09:15 AM report to moderator
alyssa

Flirting with a waitress??? what happened to Harry/Ginny? = P

Posted by alyssa on December 18, 2008, 11:27 AM report to moderator

Dudley looked furious and sulky, and somehow seemed to be taking up even more space than usual. This was saying something, as he always took up an entire side of the square table by himself.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014