US Borders Stores to Hold "Beedle the Bard" Release Parties December 4

Books
December 02, 2008, 06:40 PM

Previously we told you there were to be release parties in the UK for the release of The Tales of Beedle the Bard along with a possible shopping event here at some stores in the US. Borders has now issued a press release stating they will be holding special evening parties on December 4 for the release of the new book from J.K. Rowling,  along with providing special holiday discount shopping for teachers. The release says that "Borders and Waldenbooks will salute educators for their tireless work and commitment to their students by giving them 25 percent off regularly priced books, CDs, DVDs, gifts and stationery and cafe items."

In addition, the statement continues: To celebrate the release of this must-have book for Harry Potter fans, most Borders and Waldenbooks stores will host release parties beginning at 6 p.m. on Dec. 4. The events will include trivia games, arts-and-crafts activities and a discussion of a crucial chapter from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" that features one of the fables detailed in "The Tales of Beedle the Bard." A second release notes, "After reading and discussing the fable, kids will have their knowledge of the characters, animals, spells and magical objects in each of the Harry Potter books tested during the exciting "Harry Potter Challenge" trivia activity. Then, the creative juices will flow when fans put crayons to paper and draw scenes from "The Tales of Three Brothers." For those who cannot wait to buy the book, select Borders stores will stay open later than normal Dec. 3 to accommodate customers who want to buy the book immediately when it officially goes on sale just after midnight. To find your local Border store, please click here.

A rep for Borders is quoted as saying: "We could not be more excited to celebrate the release of 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' with in-store parties," said Diane Mangan, director of the Children's category for Borders Group. "Our customers have been awaiting the release of this book for months and Borders and Waldenbooks are the perfect place for Harry Potter fans to revisit their passion for the stories that gave them so much enjoyment -- and pick up this great book of fables."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

hpboy13

Merlin, what complete and utter BS. What if (bet no one thought of this one) kids and teens have gasp SCHOOL tomorrow, and things to do after school like gasp HOMEWORK, and can’t make a Border’s party – which would be lame because said teens would get the book from the Barnes & Noble’s next to their school in the morning? Who in the name of Merlin’s drawers thought of this?

Posted by hpboy13 on December 03, 2008, 05:45 PM report to moderator
Raymond

So the book came out this morning at midnight? I thought the book comes out tonight at midnight (Dec. 4). This is confusing.

Posted by Raymond on December 03, 2008, 07:03 PM report to moderator
Carol Carvalho

OH SOMEONE JUST SHOOT ME!!!!!
Why Am I always left out……. ????
The two Borders around here are NOT having anything!!!!! I hate this little hole where I live.

Posted by Carol Carvalho on December 03, 2008, 07:12 PM report to moderator
dee

That’s weird. So the party is the day AFTER it comes out? Why would anyone stick around if they’re not waiting until midnight to get their books?

Posted by dee on December 03, 2008, 08:15 PM report to moderator
WhizzingFizzbees

Honestly, I’m disappointed in this release! Why aren’t people more excited for this? Why isn’t Barnes and Noble doing anything? Why is this a totally last minute notification?
I visited borders.com and they don’t even have any notification up about the release or the parties!
I wish we could have more huge release days like for the series. They were amazing. I’ll always remember going to the book store to get Goblet of Fire at midnight with my Dad. It’s one of my best memories- I was so excited.
Anyone else sad this isn’t a bigger deal?

Posted by WhizzingFizzbees on December 03, 2008, 08:18 PM report to moderator
Crystal Hoover

What?? But I can’t find anything about this on the Borders website and I just called my local Borders, and they said that they weren’t having a release party!

Posted by Crystal Hoover on December 03, 2008, 10:03 PM report to moderator
Frankee

My Border’s in Minnesota stayed open till midnight..
I was, however, the only person who showed up.

Posted by Frankee on December 04, 2008, 07:42 PM report to moderator
Hermione' Mom

Just wondering if anyone else ran into the problem I did: I took my daughters last night to our Borders, which according to their website was having a party. My fifth grader had finished her homework in record time so that we could get there. Lo and behold: no party! And the clerk looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him about it. He then proceeded to check with his manager about “a ‘Twilight’ party or something.” So instead of happy memories, I went home with two very sad girls. Quite a disappointment in Borders.

Posted by Hermione' Mom on December 05, 2008, 09:28 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Percy definitely not showing his ugly face, then?" asked Fred.[br]Mrs. Weasley turned away before she answered. "No, he's busy, I expect, at the Ministry."[br]"Or he's the world's biggest prat," said Fred, as Mrs. Weasley left the kitchen.