Alan Rickman to Receive Queen's Honour: Report proves false

Rickman
December 29, 2008, 03:46 PM

UPDATE: Several readers let us know the full list has now been published and unfortunately the name of Alan Rickman is not included. We do not know if he declined the honor, or the Daily Mail article was simply incorrect, and we will update with more if we can.

Actor Alan Rickman is apparently on a list for those due to receive a special honour from the UK Monarchy. The Daily Mail is reporting that the Severus Snape actor is among those due to be listed in the annual Queen's New Years Honours, with the paper noting:

Alan Rickman is one of the few from the entertainment industry tipped to get an award.

The 62-year-old actor, who plays Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films, has been one of Britain's most respected stage and screen actors for the last two decades.

As noted on their official website the "UK honours system is used to reward people for merit, service or bravery. Honours are normally awarded twice a year. A list is published on The Queen's Birthday in June and at the New Year. The British honours system is one of the oldest in the world. It has evolved over 650 years as the country has found alternative means of recognising merit, gallantry and service."

Readers will recall of course that Harry Potter cast members Julie Walters and Richard Griffiths were honored last year at this time. If true Mr. Rickman joins those such as Dame Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, Imelda Staunton, Emma Thompson, Robert Hardy and Sir Michael Gambon among others who have also been recognized by the UK Monarchy with these distinguished honours. The official announcement on these awards is due by the 31st, and we will update with more when we can!

Thanks Jill!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Rickman News

Dumbledores man through and through!

YAY! Let’s keep our fingers crossed!
I hope we get a Sir Alan Rickman! How cool for him, he really deserves it!

Posted by Dumbledores man through and through! on December 29, 2008, 06:33 PM report to moderator
E<3

THAT IS SOOOO COOL!

Posted by E<3 on December 29, 2008, 07:05 PM report to moderator
H

That’s great; I don’t think I’ve seen anything Alan Rickman did that I disliked.

Posted by H on December 29, 2008, 08:01 PM report to moderator
BellaSnape

Oh I fall in love with him everytime he plays Professor Snape. I totally agree that he deserves whatever award or honor anyone can receive in the movie business. I think he even deserves an Oscar for what he has done in Harry Potter, or what he will do in the movies by the end of them all. Congratulations to him. I wish him the best. I am dying to see HBP. Its killing me. Helena should get one in the future in my opinion.

Posted by BellaSnape on December 29, 2008, 09:01 PM report to moderator
Professor Cassandra

Good for him! He’s one of my favorite actors, and he really deserves it!

Posted by Professor Cassandra on December 29, 2008, 09:30 PM report to moderator
stitch

sir alan rickman… i like the sound of that :-)

Posted by stitch on December 29, 2008, 11:35 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix's parole officer

And he deserves it because……he is hot.

Posted by Bellatrix's parole officer on December 29, 2008, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix's parole officer

I dont really know if the Queen uses “hotness” as a criteria however (but if she had seen him in truly, madly, deeply she would! buggar philip).

Posted by Bellatrix's parole officer on December 29, 2008, 11:41 PM report to moderator
Dr Blockbuster

Indeeeeeed … Alan Rickman is tipped to receive an award in the forthcoming New Year Honours 2009 which comes out on Wednesday night. Alan Rickman’s work is overdue Honours recognition … like someone else

Dr Blockbuster
“Give Bruce Forsyth a Knighthood” Group
Facebook

Posted by Dr Blockbuster on December 30, 2008, 12:21 AM report to moderator
Prenz

Wow! Wonderful news! He completely deserves it!

Posted by Prenz on December 30, 2008, 04:16 AM report to moderator
Helen

I have mixed feelings… he definitely deserves recognition, but I find myself wondering why he has accepted this time, from this dreadful PM who has dragged the country down (sorry, just IMHO), when he’s always declined in the past because he doesn’t believe in the system?

Posted by Helen on December 30, 2008, 04:49 AM report to moderator
maria

What will be interesting to see is will he accept it? Alan Rickman does not do bowing and scraping!

Posted by maria on December 30, 2008, 05:28 AM report to moderator
Eeyore

I can’t think of anyone more deserving. Alan Rickman is not only a great actor (in every role he does), but he is also very active in working to help others, in his own profession as well as in human rights causes.

He is fabulous, and I’m glad to see that he is being honored.

Question though. Is this award the same as being knighted, or is that a separate thing. Not really understanding the British awards, I just got confused when I looked at the description from the link.

Posted by Eeyore on December 30, 2008, 06:29 AM report to moderator
Bandersnatch

L Smith and Helen, the article doesn’t say that Rickman has accepted any honours, just that he is rumoured to receive an honour.

(I’m American, by the way, but somehow sticking those "u"s in “rumour” and “honour” just seemed appropriate here.)

Eeyore, someone from the UK would be able to answer much better than me, but I don’t believe being honored is the same as being knighted. Receiving knighthood is the highest honor, but there are others “lower down.”

Posted by Bandersnatch on December 30, 2008, 08:25 AM report to moderator
DL_Hector

To tell you the truth, I don’t really know much about all these british actors. I might go as far as to say that Harry Potter is all I know about them (Dame Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter whom a friend of mine loves and calls “Tim Burton’s muse”, she was so excited to see her in OOtP, etc.).
But what I see in the Harry Potter films does tell me how excellent these actors are, since they truly portray their characters very, very accurately; I mean, just by listening to Slughorn’s voice (“it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession”)… man, he (Jim Broadbent) IS Horace Slughorn; Bellatrix, Lucius, Vol… er… You-Know-Who, Prof. McGonagall, and of course, Alan Rickman’s magnificent performance as Snape, which seems to be magically taken directly from JK Rowling’s mind and possessed Alan Rickman. He’s a superb actor, he really is.

Posted by DL_Hector on December 30, 2008, 09:34 AM report to moderator

...he sank backward through the ragged veil hanging from the arch...[br]And Harry saw the look of mingled fear and surprise on his godfather's wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil, which flutter