Rumor Alert: WB Planning a "Beedle the Bard" Movie ?

Rumor
December 08, 2008, 01:54 PM

Well, this didn't take long: the first rumors of a Tales of Beedle the Bard movie have hit the net. Just mere days after the release of the new book from Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, CinemaBlend is reporting  that Warner Brothers has "a strong interest" in making Beedle the Bard, the Movie once the Deathly Hallows films are done. The report says that :

Knowing that the magical gravy train is coming to an end, the WB is looking for ways to squeeze more out of Potter. According to one of our regular, reliable sources, they’re hoping to do it by digging deep into other J.K. Rowling work; specifically “The Tales of Beedle The Bard”.

The article then says that WB is grappling with how to include all five tales in the book, but notes that
"these are short stories after all, it’s unlikely there’s enough material in any one story to justify a feature film. According to our sources, Warners is still trying to figure out exactly how to make this work."

Please keep this very much in the rumor category, until official confirmation is released.

Thanks Paul and Cian for emailing.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Rumor News

lily_luna

I was kinda expecting this. I thought they might do this for QA and FB, too.

Posted by lily_luna on December 08, 2008, 05:37 PM report to moderator
Zara

If they did it justice, it’d be okay with me.

Posted by Zara on December 08, 2008, 05:38 PM report to moderator
eszti

To be honest, i wouldn’t be surpries if this turned out to be true.I’ve been just thinking about what WB’s planing to do once DH part 2 is done,‘cause let’s face it WB is a greedy movie company and surely as long as eveyr HP film makes more and more money each time they won’t let it die.Of course they wouldn’t be able to make their own sequel to the story(thank god!),but now that Beedle came out they’ll probably try to squeeze out some more money from HP.
On the other hand,it can turn out good.Maybe if Jo gave them more details and so.Personally i’d love to see ‘The Warlock’s hairy heart’ as a movie XD

Posted by eszti on December 08, 2008, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Eeyore

I just finished reading Beedle the Bard and love it – the fairy tales and the introduction by Jo and the commentary by Dumbledore. But a movie? Um, no.

Fairy tales are best when they are read, silently or aloud, it doesn’t matter, but read and not filmed.

Please, WB, leave this one alone.

Posted by Eeyore on December 08, 2008, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Moody One

I want to say it would be awesome. But I don’t think it’s enough to carry a whole movie. I still haven’t received mine in the mail yet! I think Errol got lost. :P

Posted by Moody One on December 08, 2008, 06:07 PM report to moderator
Zivlok

I’m totally fine with WB making more movies – what WB does with the movies DOES NOT AFFECT THE BOOKS IN ANY WAY. Unless you’re some sort of movie purist (which would be really weird), I see no problem in them making these into one movie. And they definitely can. I really think the FoFF could eat up a lot of screen time – make the battle with the word all sorts of epic, but a stalemate, until the whole tears thing, that sort of thing. And then maybe in between shots of a study or Dumbledore’s office, with Dumbledore speaking.

However, I will be interested to see what they do with the Warlock’s Hoary Heart – do you think that story alone could justify a PG-13 rating (semi-ironically enough)?

Posted by Zivlok on December 08, 2008, 06:08 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

I’m with you, on part, Peter. But I don’t believe that WB has changed the fact that there are 7 books….and ONLY 7. Because they are filming #7, in two parts, does NOT mean there are “more than 7” Sorry, Professor, but I think this is in the 100% rumor category. Movie OR “tv show”….sorry. Can’t see it.

Posted by Confederate Lady on December 08, 2008, 06:11 PM report to moderator
John

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

This movie would be a terrible, cheap idea. No no no no NO NO! I’ve never forgiven WB for… past events (lol), so I would never go see anything like this.

Harry Potter was always meant to be a 7-part series, and not a start to a bunch of crappy spin-offs. They should stop advertizing the movie aspect of Harry Potter, and remind us that the movies are based on the BOOKS, and not the other way around.

Posted by John on December 08, 2008, 06:19 PM report to moderator
lunaluu

OHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering if they would do that!!!

John its not like they are going to call it “Harry potter Eight.”

Posted by lunaluu on December 08, 2008, 06:29 PM report to moderator
Em

OMG a movie wud be so stupid
A tv show wud b better but it wud only be like 5 shows

Posted by Em on December 08, 2008, 06:38 PM report to moderator
Kari

Actually, when I read this, I thought it would be really cool if they could do something like they did with the Princess Bride where the grandfather is telling the story to his grandson. It could be made into something in which different characters are telling their children the stories with the children and the parents providing commentary throughout. Hermione could tell Hugo “The Wizard and the Hopping Pot”; Ginny could tell Lily “The Fountain of Fair Fortune”; someone could tell an adolescent Teddy “The Warlock’s Hairy Heart”; Ron (naturally) could tell Rose “Babbity Rabbitty”; and Harry could tell James and Albus “The Tale of the Three Brothers.” I would love to see something like that!

Posted by Kari on December 08, 2008, 07:03 PM report to moderator
Hermione Weasley

Yes! This would be sooo cool. If they don’t do it I’ll probably go into depression or something after DH part 2 comes out. I need more!!!!

Posted by Hermione Weasley on December 08, 2008, 07:05 PM report to moderator
givemesomeTLC

OMG LOVE the Rita Skeeter picture for Rumor Alert!

Posted by givemesomeTLC on December 08, 2008, 07:15 PM report to moderator
kelseycrucio

As much as I love the thought of it, I don’t think this is a good idea. I really don’t see how they could make this work without totally screwing it up. I’m glad they’re splitting DH into two movies, but I think that’s enough. As much as I hate to see it end, I just want them to do the series justice, and I think making Beedle the Bard (even though I loved it, btw) into a movie would just be going a little overboard. I don’t see how that could make it to theatres very well. Of course if they actually did it, I’d definitely go see it.

But honestly this sounds too much like a rumor to be true, I’ll be surprised if it is.

Posted by kelseycrucio on December 08, 2008, 07:17 PM report to moderator
H

????????????
I’m going to say they would be better as plays, just performed by more emotionally stable actors than those at Hogwarts.

Posted by H on December 08, 2008, 07:43 PM report to moderator

"[Lockhart] hasn't got a clue who he is, or where he is, or who we are... He's a danger to himself."[br]Lockhart peered good-naturedly up at them all.[br]"Hello," he said. "Odd sort of place, this, isn't it? Do you live here?"[br]"No," said Ron, raising h

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014