Beedle the Bard Becomes UK Fastest-Selling Book of Year

Books
December 09, 2008, 04:36 PM

The Tales of Beedle the Bard have become the fastest-selling book of the year in UK. The Bookseller is reporting the new book by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling " shot straight to the top of the bestseller charts with sales of 368,000 copies in three days." The article noted that Beedle "comfortably became the fastest-selling book of the year, beating the likes of Delia Smith's How to Cheat at Cooking (Ebury), which sold 49,000 copies in 48 hours in February this year, Sebastian Faulks' Devil May Care (Penguin 007) which sold 44,000 copies in four days in June and Christopher Paolini's Brisingr (Doubleday) which sold 41,000 copies in 24 hours in September."

A rep for the Bookseller is also quoted elsewhere as saying: "None of the other big releases managed to get near the sales figure for Beedle the Bard. I would be very surprised if it is not Christmas number one, but it's not a dead cert." The rep also said he felt "reports of Rowling's imminent demise in the book world were greatly exaggerated. "I think that this time next year retailers and publishers will be wanting Rowling to have picked up her pen again," he said.

While this has been a strong seller so far, there is not much in the way of new information specifically about Harry and Co, as noted in the Washington Post by TLC's webmistress. "There are no new secrets to get your hands on," says Melissa Anelli, author of Harry, a History. "So there won't be quite the hysteria that there was" with the novels.

The article continues to note that there are still fans out there who are hoping there will be more from the world of Harry Potter.

"Heidi Tandy, the Miami Beach, Fla., founder of Potter fan site fictionalley.org, hadn't allowed herself to read the epilogue of Deathly Hallows until Wednesday. As in, the Wednesday before Thursday's release of Beedle."As long as I didn't read the epilogue, I wasn't done reading her story," Tandy explains. Thursday's release finally freed her to finish Hallows; now she'll choose a new Beedle story not to read, until Rowling comes out with another installment. The rest of the book she'll read with her son, who is named Harry.

The Beedle release proves that we will never truly be over Harry.

"We can't help thinking, 'One day, she might get the urge,' " Anelli says. "She just might write another book."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

mollywobble

That’s a lot of copies for the UK. I wonder what the US numbers were?

As for Twilight, not really a surprise since it’s not very big over in the UK. I think Breaking Dawn only sold 20,000 copies in the first day over there. Twilight is very much an American “thing.”

Posted by mollywobble on December 09, 2008, 11:23 PM report to moderator
celia

No surprises there. Tales of Beedle the Bard is now Number One in the US too…so they may have to reprint soon if all of the copies sale out…they only printed 8 million worldwide. But I absolutely ADORED this book. I was BRILLIANT…classic JK Rowling.

Posted by celia on December 10, 2008, 12:45 AM report to moderator
celia

@Mollywobble: That’s what I keep saying…I live in the US and I can tell it’s just something that would interests teenage girls between the ages of 12 and 17…I’m sure there are other fans that don’t fit that demographic..but the majority of the fan base are those girls….those very ANNOYING little girls who love Jonas Brothers and High School Musical. But I think alot of the American media talks about it so much and tries to create competition with Harry Potter is because one’s British and the other is American…but the comparison is completely ridiculous…the two series are not even CLOSE to being on the same level…it’s Harry Potter all the way for me though…I didn’t like Twilight at all.

Posted by celia on December 10, 2008, 12:49 AM report to moderator
pottervfd

Yay for Beedle! Can’t wait to finally read it this weekend! On a related note of proceeds going to charity, Jingle Spells 2 is now available for sale on iTunes!

Posted by pottervfd on December 10, 2008, 01:09 AM report to moderator
Natalie

Yay!

And the best thing is, some of the money goes to charity! :) I got mine pre-ordered, hehe

Posted by Natalie on December 10, 2008, 04:29 AM report to moderator
p

loved it! >:) the fairy tales for the kids of the next generation. just had to be part of the first day. XD

Posted by p on December 10, 2008, 05:41 AM report to moderator
Bez

Lucky Girl, you really are lucky. Are you sure one of them wasn’t signed?
I didn’t get my collector’s editon until this morning and I ordered it July 31st.
I have never been disappointed in Amazon before. But it was worth the wait now that I have it.
Congratulations, Jo.

Posted by Bez on December 10, 2008, 06:06 AM report to moderator
Miriam

That’s great. I received my copy last week. Haven’t had a chance to read it yet. I think I might take a gnader over christmas. It’s a lovely looking book though.

Posted by Miriam on December 10, 2008, 06:47 AM report to moderator
Lucky Girl!

Bez, I ordered mine on Aug 1st and just got them yesterday. I’m just waiting on my UK version now. : ) I wish it were signed! I havent opened the other one. Oh how I want too. >: ) I’m taking it to the post office today.

Posted by Lucky Girl! on December 10, 2008, 07:32 AM report to moderator
Maggie the red

Of Course it’s #1. It was wonderful to read JKR’s witty humor again. She is sooo good.

Posted by Maggie the red on December 10, 2008, 08:21 AM report to moderator
Heidi

Hi lily_luna – I will know the contents of it, just like I knew basically what happened in the epilogue, but I won’t see Jo’s exact words until I know there’ll be something new. And there will be in HBP: The Movie, and there may be at Universal’s World of Harry Potter… Here’s hoping!

Posted by Heidi on December 10, 2008, 08:44 AM report to moderator
KT

I got my the Collector’s Edition BUT it’s all wrapped up and under the Christmas tree. I’m not allowed to open it till the 25th!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0(

I know what I’m doing on Christmas and Boxing Day!

Posted by KT on December 10, 2008, 08:56 AM report to moderator
SproutMdme

The real telling difference between the Harry Potter series and Twilight is that in 20 years, Harry Potter will still be read by many people, and Twilight, just another series in a long line of adolescent vampire romances will have been long forgotten. HP will stand the test of time!

Yeah!, for Ms. Rowling and HP!!! Congratulations!

Posted by SproutMdme on December 10, 2008, 08:40 PM report to moderator
llol

wait even faster than like deathly hallows???

Posted by llol on December 10, 2008, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Lily

yay! SUPPORT JO! ROWLIHG THE BEST AUTHOR!!! take tat, meyer! NO ANY OTHER TITLES CAN BEAT THIS!

Posted by Lily on December 11, 2008, 10:38 AM report to moderator

"But now, your beds await, as warm and comfortable as you could possibly wish, and I know that your top priority is to be well-rested for your lessons tomorrow. Let us therefore say goodnight. Pip pip!"

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014