J.K. Rowling Continues Fight to Help Orphans in Eastern Europe (Updated)

J.K. Rowling
February 27, 2008, 12:46 PM

Previously we have reported on efforts made by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling to help raise awareness and change regarding the plight of orphaned children in Eastern European countries. A founder of the Children’s High Level Group and active with the Children’s Voice campaign, Jo has written on her website in the past about the plight of disabled and mentally handicapped children locked in cages, and her commitment to seeing conditions improve for these orphaned children. Today, UK newspaper The Sun reports that Jo is continuing in this effort as she and the wife of UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown will meet with the wife of visiting Romanian President Calin Popescu-Tariceanu in London. The paper reports

The plan is to help tackle health care problems in the East European country that can lead to disabilities.Mr Brown also wants to support efforts to stop babies being abandoned at hospitals.A Downing Street insider said: “This is an issue which Sarah and JK are passionate about.“They’ve been grateful for the willingness of the Romanian government to engage in serious discussion about it.”

UPDATE: There is a new report online now, from the British Embassy in Bucharest, Romania, with a photo of JKR at this meeting. The press release says The participants at the meeting agreed on the impressive progress that Romania had already made and on the importance of further collaboration and exchanges of best practices… A second outcome of the meeting is that Bucharest will host a seminar gathering officials from child protection fora, NGOs and business representatives, later in the year.The British Prime Minister Gordon Brown commented: “I am delighted that this meeting has taken place today. Although there is still work to be done, Romania is helping to show the way on how to tackle the challenges faced by children with disabilities. Britain and Romania will continue to work together in this important area.”

Readers will recall Jo made a trip to Romania several years ago, and visited some of these children; photos from this previous trip are available here in our galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Posted by June on March 15, 2008, 10:58 AM report to moderator
Mamta childcare Trust
Posted by Mamta childcare Trust on March 17, 2008, 04:45 PM report to moderator
radish_earrings
Posted by radish_earrings on March 26, 2008, 05:44 PM report to moderator
Verle

I also have a question about someone calling himself Kelvin Dominic. He says he has an orphanage in Nigeria, but is in the UK trying to raise money to fly orphans from the orphanage to the UK for surgery. He tried to get me to loan him $1,000.00 and when I refused he bacame very upset. After that he went to the next approach of asking if I have a Bank of America account, which I do. He wanted to have “someone” wire $10,000.00 to my account which I would send to him and he would reimburse me when he got back to the US (Trenton, NJ which he said was his home.) Can you help me? Is he a scammer or for real??? I’ll appreciate your input. He contacted me on AOL IM. Thanks.

Posted by Verle on November 10, 2008, 06:36 PM report to moderator
Verle

I forgot to mention in my first email that I didn’t give Kelvin Dominic(?) my bank info. He hasn’t contacted me since. I wish the person who previously asked about Kelvin Dominic would contact me so we could share information.

Posted by Verle on November 10, 2008, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Verle

Does anyone on here know how to contact someone to report a scammer on AOL IM? Please let me know!

Posted by Verle on November 11, 2008, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Ferchu

I met a guy named Frank Diggs, i think is the same Kelvin Dominic, he also told me the same things that he said to Verle. He also said that he is from Trenton, he gave me the same tel numbers. He also shew me pics of the orphans. Please help to stop him. He is an scammer for sure….!!!!

Posted by Ferchu on December 28, 2008, 06:18 PM report to moderator

...Harry was borne toward the stands, where Dumbledore stood waiting with the enormous Quidditch Cup.[br]If only there had been a dementor around... As a sobbing Wood passed Harry the Cup, as he lifted it into the air, Harry felt he could have produced th