116

Mar 12, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Big News everyone! The L.A Times is reporting an exclusive today: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be made in two films, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1″ , and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II. Furthermore, the paper cites producer David Heyman confirming the return of David Yates as director for both films, with Steven Kloves to finish out his duties as screenwriter for both Harry Potter movies as well. The movies are to be filmed at the same time, and will be released several months apart, with Part One due November 2010, and Part Two, May 2011.

Update: The article has additional information now, with quotes from producer David Heyman on his conversation with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling on splitting the book into two films. “Heyman said he approached Rowling with some trepidation about the strategy but found that she signed off on its logic rather quickly. “I went to Jo and she was cool with it,” Heyman said, “and that was quite a relief.”

The newspaper continues saying “Producer David Heyman said the decision was made with some anxiety and only after considerable deliberations. The producer joked that “while my wife and Warner Brothers were pleased” to hear that the Potter movie magic will continue into the next decade, he himself fretted that the cynical observers would see the decision as a purely mercenary move.”I swear to you it was born out of purely creative reasons,” Heyman said during an interview in a converted airplane factory outside London that has been home base to all of the “Potter” productions. “Unlike every other book, you cannot remove elements of this book. You can remove scenes of Ron playing quidditch from the fifth book, and you can remove Hermione and S.P.E.W. [Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare] and those subplots . . . but with the seventh, that can’t be done.”

Actor Dan Radcliffe who portrays Harry Potter in the film is quoted as saying “I think it’s the only way you can do it without cutting out a huge portion of the book,” Radcliffe said recently during a break on the set of “Half-Blood Prince,” the sixth “Potter” film, which is due in theaters on Nov. 21. “There have been compartmentalized subplots in the other books that have made them easier to cut – although those cuts were still to the horror of some fans- but the seventh book doesn’t really have any subplots. It’s one driving, pounding story from the word go.”

Of interest to many fans is the spot in the book where the films will break, and producer David Heyman addresses this as he notes: “The question will be, where do you break it? And how do you make them one but two separate and distinct stories? Do you break it with a moment of suspense or one of resolution? These are the interesting challenges. But each book has presented its challenges.”

Warner Bros. Chairman Alan Horn and Jeff Robinov, president of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, are expected to discuss the new plans for “Potter” on Thursday during a presentation at ShoWest, the convention of movie exhibitors in Las Vegas.

UPDATE 2The LA Times has a second story now online, containing new comments from WB Chair Alan Horn on the decision to split and the additional film time for the story “This way, we have an extra hour and a half, at least, to celebrate what this franchise has been and do justice to all the words and ideas that Jo has put in the amazing story,” Horn said. “This is the end of the story too. We want to celebrate it. We want to give a full meal.” Mr Horn continued on, remarking about the epilogue to “Deathly Hallows” regarding the beloved trio and how that would be translated to the big screen. “Horn said that particular denouement has the filmmakers fretting about how to keep the young familiar stars on the screen just before it goes dark. “That,” Horn said, “is something we will need to deal with. People have watched these kids grow up, and it’s been very special to do so. That’s important to us.”

Thanks much to the LA Times, Jimbo, and TML!

653 Responses to Official: Two Parts for “Deathly Hallows” Movie, David Yates to Direct Both Films

That will be awesome!!

Avatar Image says:

yayy first post(: hmm… i really hope this is true! I would love to see a two part Deathly Hallows

Avatar Image says:

Brilliant II !!! Still expect Cuaron to get a look in though. Fantastic news.

darnn! i was so close

Avatar Image says:

I would love this to be true! Let’s hope all the actors are on board for it as well.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! another thing to look forward 2!!!

Avatar Image says:

This is huge! What a great way to bring an end to the series by doing the last book justice.

Avatar Image says:

Yaaaaay!!!! I can’t wait!! I’m not tooooo happy about how far apart they are, but oh well. I’m soo excited David Yates is going to do it though. Freakin’ AWESOME!!!

Avatar Image says:

omg i cant wait, it will be so much better in 2 parts as they will be able to keep important scenes for when they get horcruxes!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so excited about this! Now hopefully, there will be lots of details left in that might’ve been skipped over if there had only been one movie. woohoo!

Avatar Image says:

This is so awesome! Now we’‘ll get a lot more detail! And Yates at the helm – Kloves… well… Yates, Yeah!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow. I’ve been against this idea from the beginning, but if you guys like it, that’s OK I guess. I think I’m in the minority for wanting just one movie. Oh, well.

Avatar Image says:

I do I don’t like this. One… They’ll be able to get everything from the book and not miss out on anyting. Two… We’re going ot have to wait several months after part one to see Rupet and Emma kiss!!!

Avatar Image says:

This is going to be great! I’ve been telling the news to everyone!! haha Wish that Alfonso could help out though…

Avatar Image says:

Oh for the love of heaven?! I never thought I’d say this, but it looks as if I’ll be taking MY KIDS to see the last Harry Potter film. (and for the record, I don’t have any as of yet). Jeebus!! Way to squeeze on the ‘ol cash cow, WB.

Avatar Image says:

YES YES YES HAHAHA FINALLY THEY ANSWER THE FAN’S CALL!!! by the way I’m a little exited by this news

Avatar Image says:

I just read the article. And I honestly did not think I could get any more excited about Harry Potter, but right now I feel like I’m about to explode from excitement. OMG!!!!! I love how Heyman talks about where they’re going to split the movie!! It’s awesome!! I don’t know if I’m going to be able to wait if they decide to split it during a suspenseful moment. That is going to be unbearable.

Squeeeeeeeee!

I’m really happy it’s definitely gonna be two parts! Sucks that they’re so far apart though. As for Yates…. meh I would have preferred Cuaron. Never mind though.

Now we’ve just got to wait for an announcement about original/new actors in the epilogue crosses fingers for originals

Avatar Image says:

@Saffron: I’m shocked and appalled. How could you not have any of the movies?? but whatever, I’m waaaay too excited right now!! I think I’m about to watch movies 1-5 to celebrate. LOL.

Avatar Image says:

Two films is fine by me. The cut – I’d suggest – at the arrival at Shell Cottage and the sad demise of Dobby. Making his “funeral” the opening scene of HP7/2, soon after which there will be no popcorn chomping until the final credits.

Avatar Image says:

yay!!! I thought they’d do that. And even though a lot of people will say, they only want to get more money out of the series, I dont care. I hope this way they’ll put a lot more from the books in the movie and that’s always a good thing :)

Waheyy!

Dunno why I’m celebrating lol. I’m still not sure whether I like this idea or not.

I’m just glad to get some proper news xDD

Avatar Image says:

nO YATES!!!!!!! tHOSE MOVIE WILL SUCK!!!

Avatar Image says:

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you DON’T like the idea of possibly 5 hours of DH film, I question whether you’re a true fan. I want every second of the book (but do the ‘camping’ as a montage!) and don’t mind paying twice for the pleasure.

I would have loved to see the Quidditch in OotP. Would have loved to see more about the Marauders in PoA. Would have loved to see S.P.E.W. in GoF. It’s been quite a shame that the subplots that basically support the overarching themes and morals had to get cut to make a compact movie.

If anything you should be critical of SHORTER films that allow more showings per day at theatres, but leave the fans shortchanged.

More is better! (within reason, of course. 3 films? Maybe not :-) )

Avatar Image says:

What????? OMG I really wanted to have two parts DH but the fisrt part would be relised a year before the second :(((( But I still can’t see it. I believe in david and I know that he would do a really great job so I am waiting:)

Avatar Image says:

YESYESYES! OMG i am so excited! i have been hoping this would happen! how else would they have doen it? Dan said it all, “It’s one driving, pounding story from the word go.”

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

And why are they too far apart?!

Avatar Image says:

and also…2011 as release date for the second part?

Well, I hope that means we’ll get to see PotterCast #365 ;)

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

And why are they too far apart?!

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I: Rising Action: The Wedding, Battle at the Wedding, Escape from the Death Eaters at the Café, Planning to Infiltrate the Ministry Climax: The Battle at the Ministry End: After the Ministry Battle in the forest.

Avatar Image says:

@Madam Hooch’s other:Im gonna have disagree. I think they should cut it at Shell Cottage but right before Harry chooses between Hallows or Horcruxes. He can open the door and then the movie can go off. And at the beginning of part two we can see who’s room he chose. But of course the book readers will alreadly know….

Avatar Image says:

I am beyond excited about a two-part Deathly Hallows with David Yates directing. I was going to say that I think they should end part 1 with the destruction of the locket Horcrux and Ron’s return, however I think I’ve just been sold on having #1 end with Dobby’s death/funeral, and part 2 begin with the planning for breaking into Gringotts.

Avatar Image says:

I humbly suggest to WB that they call the final movie “Harry Potter 7 3/4.”

You get two movies for your birthday, Sue! And both of them will probably star Jason Isaacs! ::party::

Avatar Image says:

i am really not thrilled about it. i hope that they make it worth while and tie up alot of loose ends….

Avatar Image says:

Now you are talking. Will anyone redo film Number Four in two parts Please?

Man lives with hope in his heart.

So long!

Avatar Image says:

@TML: they’re definitely not going to put the whole movie into one part and then leave nothing but the conclusion in part two. that would not work at all. lol. I think it’s definitely going to end somewhere in the middle like around the Silver Doe or at Malfoy Manor or Shell Cottage.

Avatar Image says:

Thank God that ends any possibility of having to suffer another bout of Alfonso Cuaron!!

One boooomoy ride was more than enough.

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one that is upset that I’m going to have to wait TWO years after HBP to see another movie! I better get another set of DVDs cuz I know I’m going to wear the first set out!

Avatar Image says:

Oh this is the most AWESOME NEWS EVER!!!

My sister and I said that we thought they should do this while reading the book first time round and now they’re actually going to do it!! I think it is absolutely the best thing to do, so they can really be true to the books.

I think the end of the part one should be a moment of suspense. Before Malfoy Manor just after Harry says ‘Voldemort’. “Come out with your hands up!”

Avatar Image says:

o my god i am going to be 30 when the last one comes out.. 30!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

@Serge Gingras: And what exactly would go into part two? lol. there was nothing cut out of movie 4 that would make it long enough for a two part film. and there also nothing that important to the plot that was cut out.

I can’t wait for movie 6 though. LOL. i think people have sort of forgotten that we still have a whole movie to go before they even think about filming movie 7. lol.

Avatar Image says:

I AM ABOUT TO DIE OF THINKING HOW MUCH THEY ARE GONNA PUT IN THIS MOVIE THIS IS SO AWESOOOOOMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay

Avatar Image says:

In case Half-Blood Prince is not a good movie and gets below 75% in Rotten Tomatoes,I am going to protest outside the headquarters of Warner Bros and go on a hunger strike for a month.I really hope David Yates is up to the task.As a fanbase we ought to request the best,don’t we?I think that this move by Warner,to entrust the rest of Harry Potter to him is a bold one.I liked OotP,but I don’t want to see the same thing three more times.I wish Yates brings something fresh to its movie.I am very excited for the two parts DH movie bit….very excited…very excited…very excited!And now a message to Warner:If the remaining Harry Potter movies are anything less than perfect,we-the fanbase-are going to hex you with Rictusempra!Thank you for your understanding.

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II: Rising Action: Battle at Godric’s Hollow, Mr. Lovegood’s, Malfoy Manor, Gringotts Climax: The Battle of Hogwarts End: 19 Years Later Malfoy Manor and Shell Cottage are too far into the story. There’d be little but the battle left for the second part.

Avatar Image says:

HECK YES OF A MOTHER GOL DANG BANSHEE! HOORAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! David Yates, the two parts, HOORAY! :) I’m so happy! But wait, I don’t like the wait between part one and two. No, no, no. I’m not so pleased. But I’m sure both the parts will be great, so yeah. :) Hooray ! =)

Avatar Image says:

Break it at suspense! Break it at suspense! Woooo, go WB!

Avatar Image says:

i wish they werent so far apart….it sucks to have to wait that long. dont get me wrong im glad its in two parts so that everything (or most everything) can get included but i wish they would be released closer together…... o well…im still excited!!!!! :)

@Celia:

Avatar Image says:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA! Now that’s what I call some proper NEWS!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m liking the idea, but I must admit calling them “Part One” and “Part Two” just sounds weird. It’s not bad, just sounds weird! I can’t help but think that it will cut any Oscar chances (not that there was ever much hope). As for where to cut, I hope they cut after a resolution (i.e. Ron coming back to Harry and Hermione) – by far the most successful ‘in-between’ film was The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers – and I remember hearing PJ talking about how he was worried about the film not feeling complete with a resolution, hence why the Shelob sequence was moved to Return of the King. I’m excited too now that I may be able to make it to London for one of the premieres – I was always disappointed that I was going to struggle to make one because of university.

Avatar Image says:

FINALLY! What took them so long?! Yay, I’m so excited about this! I absolutely can’t wait, and I’m so glad Yates is directing again! Now if only they could get Goldberg back in there…ugh. Kloves is—well. Y’know.

Avatar Image says:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!

I’M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!! 2 DH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that’s going to be brilliant. hmhmhm….Yates? OK. after OOTP I was little disapointed but he has a chance to improve in HBP. If I like HBP then why not!!! But I think Yates and Cuaron should work together on DH.

..........but I think thats not official yet. I will believe it when I see David Heymans interview!!!

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!! hehe i was so happy I yelled!! YAYAYAY!!!

Avatar Image says:

Yes i am so glad this is true. Dispite the director, i cant wait to see the movie! I bet the openining of part two is at shell cottage.

Avatar Image says:

I agree. Harrypotternewsreel.blogspot.com has been calling “Part II” “The Battle of Hogwarts (Film)” since the rumours cropped up. Oh, well, though.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know if I like the idea yet…I think I do. I’m confused lol!

Avatar Image says:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYY YAYYYYYYYYY! The director curse is finally over! DH is going to be AMAZING!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hmmmmm… A drastic move I’d say, the 2-parts move I mean, I hope it works alright….

As for Yates, I was kinda hoping for some new blood, not because I’m against Yates in particular, but I wasn’t particulary impressed with any of the 5 HP films made so far, so I suppose it’s not meant to be, being impressed with any HP film that is. (shrugs)

Avatar Image says:

The Silver Doe is the only chapter that one could cut it at. The Return of Ron and the destruction of the first horcrux would be an excellent way to end part I.

Shell Cottage and Malfoy Manor are too far into the story to be cut there, as some one already said.

This….is gonna be interesting….

Avatar Image says:

I’m kind of surprised . I didn’t expect Yates to direct the final film, even with the whole Lois Lowry thing. The two part thing I did expect, though.

Heck yeah! :D

Avatar Image says:

Well, I have mixed feelings right now. On one hand, I’m so excited for David Yates to return. He’s my second favorite director in the series. (first is Cuaron). Then I’m glad for a longer movie (albeit two). Then I’m disappointed that Goldenberg won’t return, I loved the OOTP script. And then I’m sad that it is two parts separate…coming out on different dates. But I understand it. Not just due to money but also intermission would be weird in America which is their largest audience.

What I really hope is that Patrick Doyle comes back to do the music. =-D

Avatar Image says:

YES YES YES!! THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER IM SOOO HAPPY ABOUU THIS I HOPE IT IS DEFINETLY TRUE!!! IM SOO GLAD I KNOW THAT DAVID HEYMAN IS WANTING TO GET THE WHOLE STORY IN THANK GOD!! The actors should stay on board as they are filing it all at the same time :) yey! this has really made my day :D

Avatar Image says:

GREAT IDEA!!Why don’t they call the first part “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:The tale of the three Brothers” and the second part “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:the Elder Wand”?After all “the elder wand” was the runner up for the book 7 title,according to JKR,wasn’t it?I love the idea of splitting book 7!I started celebrating when I first read it,but noone seems to notice that we will have to wait 2 WHOLE YEARS after the release of HBP.It is going to be very agonizing!!

Avatar Image says:

NOVEMBER 2010MAY 2011? Holy crap! We still have 3 more years of Harry Potter! SQUEEE!!!

And David Yates too… omg… SO EXCITED!

Avatar Image says:

The OOTP script was awful. That couple with the cutting killed the movie.

Avatar Image says:

I feel like squeeing a young school girl! This is soooo awesome. The best way ever to finish of the HP Series! Way to go!

OOOOOOOOHHHHHH Mygosh.!!!

I’m definitely excited! When the question of one movie vs. two came up, i was kind of neutral, but i’m especially excited to have two with yates as director. Hurray!

SO… as for the breaking point: i’m thinking when Ron leaves the group. WHat about that? i think it’d be so maddening, but it’d be a great place to stop, because then you have high action in the beginning with them going to Godric’s Hollow, etc.

Anyway, great news. :)

Avatar Image says:

YAYAYYYYYAAAAAA. WOOT WOOT! SQUEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):) CANT WAIT!!! and i think the wait is for suspence, cause the longer you got to wait the longer u have to get people to come to watch…......I decided that mine wasnt excited enough before so im posting another one…. YAAAAAY!!!!!`~```~` WOoOt WoOot ~```~``~

Avatar Image says:

Never mond about the director. I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i SO CANT WOIT FOR THE FIRST HALF 2 COME OUT!

Avatar Image says:

I wish they’d go back to the old style for long epic movies. 3 and a half hours with intermission!

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!! I’m super excited!! All except for the November-May separation. People who havn’t read the books might forget what happened in the first part (unless in May theaters run the first part). I will probably not be able to wait until 2010 though!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, that’s just an terrible idea, and I’m very susprised it got the greenlight.

Personally, I’d MUCH rather have one tightly edited, to-the-point, well-paced film, rather than two bloated, disjointed, mediocre films, Unfortunately, it seems most people here would prefer the latter.

Avatar Image says:

Wow!!! Oh my God!! That’s fantastic. This is probably the best news we have had this year so far. Now if we get some HBP film news, then it will be a pretty great news week.

Avatar Image says:

DH can be easily split into two without compromising the story. It’s not Goblet of Fire.

Avatar Image says:

I am happy that it is split into two movies, however I hate David Yates and I hate that the movie will be spread apart by 7 months. that seems just too long!

Avatar Image says:

Oh GOD. I’m so disappointed. Yates is not that great of a director. Two films just means more money. This whole thing is selling Potter short. I hope someone comes around in 20 years and does the films again the RIGHT way.

I don’t even want to see these films.

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm. Well, I’ve been fairly outspoken in my opposition of this idea from the off, and now that it’s official, I’m filled with doubt; simply put, as of right now, I feel that this move ha been made purely with commercial interests in mind, and that creatively the split will be not only unnecessary but actively harmful, and will result in two bloated, needless exercises in expensive fanservice rather than the single great film we might have had.

But, what can you do? Life goes on. I don’t mind Kloves as a screenwriter, and I actively like Yates as a director, but at this point, they have it everything to prove, as far as I’m concerned. Let’s hope I’m wrong…

Head explodes

I’m having to resist the urge to jump up and down. This is so cool!

Does the “More Canon” dance

Avatar Image says:

This is exciting news! Actually, the wait between DH Part 1 and Part 2 is only six months, not one year as a couple of posters have mentioned. November 2010 to May 2011 is only 6 months.

I seriously hope they do the Battle of Hogwarts chapters justice. It will be hilarious to see Professor McGonagall and those running desks! And the scene in the Room of Requirement/All Hidden Things with Harry, Ron, Hermione, Malfoy, Crabbe & Goyle…that should be awesome, too! Not to mention the final showdown with Voldemort in the Great Hall…so many scenes to look forward to!

I’m getting so excited just thinking about the possibilities. Now that they’ve admitted that they can’t cut anything from the script and maintain the integrity of the story, I believe that Kloves, Yates (and company) will produce two movies that satisfy hardcore fans.

Of course, let’s not forget there’s still HBP coming later this year. Squeeeeee!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Squeeee!!! OMG guys I can’t believe we were all right! The splitting of the book seemed logical in order to fit everything into the movie. Or you could spend eight hours on the theater. XD

I’m thinking that a nice place to split it could be where Ron leaves the group or maybe after Harry visits Godric Hollow.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if Matt Lewis’s comment forced WB to make the announcement sooner than they had planned.

Avatar Image says:

@TML: Yeah true. but on your first post you said that they should end part one during the last battle. unless i read that wrong. and that’s very far into it. I think tons of stuff happens after shell cottage. i mean after a kind of lull right when they break into Gringotts it’s just action-packed. there’s no pauses. and it’s all one day. you got the break in, the dragon, his scar burning and find out where the last horcruxes are and then they’re in hogsmeade and then they’re in the hog’s head and then they’re going through Ariana’s portrait to the room of requirement and then harry’s in the ravenclaw common and then snape flees and then the battle begins and harry goes to the great hall and then he’s talking to the ravenclaw ghost and then he’s trying to find ron and hermione and then they’re in the room of requirement again and then…...!!!!!!! THERE’S just so much that happens after Shell Cottage. That’s got be where they cut it.

Avatar Image says:

Madam Hooch, you and I are on the same page as to where they should cut the movie. Dobby’s demise is a great way to end because it really packed an emotional punch after all the nail-biting horror/action at Malfoy Manor. The Trio (and Luna, Dean and Olivander) basically just escaped/survived by the skin of their teeth—at a huge, huge price, and it’s a point at which the action in the book slows down somewhat before we get into VERY expository territory that I don’t think people’s brains can handle or absorb very well at the end of a movie.

Remember, that the audience has got to absorb all the stuff about wandlore, Gringott’s, coupled with Harry having visions of Voldie. I think that it would be very hard to present the whole Harry-can-see-what-Voldie-is-up-to-and-is-making-choices-between-Horcruxes and-Hallows-all-while-he’s-interrogating-Griphook-and-Ollivander. Yet, there is still a LOT of action left in the book and would give ample time for all the wonder that is the break-in at Gringotts and of course the epic battle at Hogwarts—which battle (and all of Harry’s running around) could take an entire hour plus all on its own.

Avatar Image says:

@Lilibeth: I really don’t think they’re going to end part one at a funeral. that’s not going to make people really want to come back. I mean it would be interesting if they ended it right when they arrive at Malfoy Manor and they find out where they are. That would be cool.

@Caracticus

I AM a true fan. I’m just not so blinded by my fanboyishness that I can’t judge the Harry Potter films objectively as films. As nice as it would be to see a live-action picturebook, the movies suffer when they try to get bogged down in all the details of the book and lose sight of the actual story and relevant plots. The Columbus films proved this, and I thought WB had learned their lesson since then.

Good idea !

I hope they ‘ll make the best of it with two 3 hour long movies !!!

Avatar Image says:

So I WAS happy until I realized NOVEMBER 2010?? Thats TWO YEARS after HBP!! And thats only part 1! How will we survive the 2-2 1/2 year gap??! At least it looks like the Dobb-ster will be in it!!!

@Caracticus

I AM a true fan. I’m just not so blinded by my fanboyishness that I can’t judge the Harry Potter films objectively as films. As nice as it would be to see a moving picturebook of every scene from the books, the movies suffer when they try to get bogged down in all the details of the book and lose sight of the actual story and relevant plots. The Columbus films proved this, and I thought WB had learned their lesson since then.

Avatar Image says:

@remipau: if they make two 2 and 1/2 hour movies. then that will be a total of 6 hours. That’s a long freakin’ movie. Yes!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh my God! I think this is just SO fantastic. Wow. I think the two moviws will ensure that nothing of importance gets cut and that with Yates as a director makes me really believe that they are going to be brilliant! Woop woop! Harry Potter madness will continue for may years to come!

OMG!!!!!!! YES FOR THE TWO MOVIES. No for David Yates. Yes FOR STEVEN kOLOVES

tHEY SHOULD SPLIT THE MOVIE AFTER RHE WHOLE SILVER DOE /RON COMES BACK/ GRFFINGOR SWORD/ DESTROY HORCRUX SCENE

SO ECXITED OMG I CANT EVEN SPELL PROPERLY CUZ IM SOOOO EXCITED

Avatar Image says:

“Unlike every other book, you cannot remove elements of this book…”

I disagree. You could remove the whole DD backstory, seeing as it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PLOT. Not to mention that it’s repeated over and over…

Sorry, but after the way some of the other books got condensed to confused messes in the other movies, NOW, with a book that spends a lot of time sitting around on its butt and another large portion talking about stuff that has nothing to do with the main plot, they give a crap?

Avatar Image says:

I have mixed feeling about this. I would have liked one long movie but I seem to be in the minority. When I read the book I wondered how they were going to film all the important parts but I never considered a two part movie. I am a fan of long movies like Gone with the Wind and Titanic and could not fathom those movies being cut and shown 6 months apart. Also, a 2 YEAR wait just for part 1 2 ½ years for part 2-WHY? I wonder if it is scheduling conflicts with the actors. I just hope it works. What is funny to me also is that many of the people on here get so excited anytime there is new movie news then the movie comes out and it is –I hate the movie, I hate the director, I hate the screen writer, I hate the music, I hate the hair styles, where is Harry’s scar, they cut this, they should have never cut that, Ron was not book Ron, Hermione was this, Harry was that, my popcorn was stale, Blah,Blah,Blah I can’t wait to see the board after DH part 1 is out and everyone is tearing it apart like they have done with OOTP this past year and some that are already anticipating a bad HBP. Why did they stop it there, they should have done this, ETC

WOooOOoooooo.

We all knew it would happen.

Avatar Image says:

I am so STOKED at this!! This way they can get everything in, hopefully! I cannot WAIT! I wish it was earlier than 2010 and 2011, though!

Avatar Image says:

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I really wanted this ! They will be able to include all the great parts without major sections being lost and them having to change the story to cope with this. Would of prefered a new director but you can’t have everything! 110% for this !

Avatar Image says:

I think I am happy with David Yates staying. I liked his style in OotP. Alfonzo Cuaron would have been interesting, seeing as he had the whole darkness thing down in POA, but overall he wasn’t my favorite.

I also think they should cut right after the whole Ron coming back and Locketcrux and everything there.

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm … Interesting!! .. I was hoping they would make one looong movie instead (i wouldn’t mind sitting 3.5 hours to see a Potter movie!! ..) ..... But since the split is now official, we’ve got to move on from there …

so now to the talking point … where should the split be??? ... I think the best point to end the first movie would be the destruction of the first horcrux. It would have something of a climactic feel as it is the first victory in their quest for destroying Voldemort.

But, If this is the breaking point, it wouldn’t make much sense to call the movie ‘Deathly Hallows’ as they don’t figure into the story at this point.

Avatar Image says:

I say we start a petition to get more Harry Potter Books written. Maybe on the next generation. The demand is there, we want more and more!

Avatar Image says:

Ive changed my mine. I think they should cut it after shell cottage . it would make a pretty good ending seen for dobbys funeral thingy. AND I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING. WE HAVE TO WAIT TWO STINKIN YEARS TO SEE DEATHLY HOLLOWS PART WONE THEN ANOTHER SIX MONTHS TO SEE HARRY KILL VOLDIE. NONESENCE! THAT IS REDICULOUS. IF THEY ARE TAKING THAT LONG TO MAKE THE MOVIE THEN IT BETTER BE GOOD.

SOO ECXITED SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Avatar Image says:

As long as Dobby is not replaced by Kreacher…

But how can they do this without Bill, Fleur, and Mudungus?

Avatar Image says:

Keith, I think that is disrespectful of Jo. She has already given us 7 wonderful books and 17 years of her life. Give her some closure. Because if we milk a next generation out of her, we’d still demand more and more. She also wouldn’t be putting as much heart into it, I’d say. She’s had 17 years to work out everything with Harry, and couldn’t possibly continue on the same feel with the next generation.

She says she’s done, and she’s done. I’m actually satisfied with the Harry Potter story. I still crave Jo writing, but I’ll wait until the Scottish book and for her non Harry Potter stories to come out. :)

Avatar Image says:

Cant say I’m pleased I rather just see one long movie with an intermission then to have to wait 6months to see the 2nd part. Clearly a way for WB to squeeze even more money out of HP franchise. Of course I’ll go see both assuming I’m still alive. It just very freaky to know that when the 2nd part of DH comes out I’ll have just turned 28.

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm, I’m not so happy about this – seems to be a minority on this side. It’s not that I want them to cut a lot of stuff, but I’d much rather have a really long movie. I read the book all in one go and I think there is an arch of tension that should not be broken.

If I had to make a break, where would I put it? Probably at a moment of rest, maybe at Shell Cottage after the escape from Malfoy Manor or even later, after the escape on the dragon. That would make a great final and leave enough space for all the detail in the epic last 24 hours.

Avatar Image says:

“Unlike every other book, you cannot remove elements of this book…”

Posted by fenm on March 12, 2008 @ 05:56 PM

I totally agree with you. This is just so WB can milk this cash cow a bit longer. Look they have it going until mid 2011. This is not for the fans so don’t kid yourselves they will still cut things and change things such as Bill and Fluer since they droped them from HPB.

Avatar Image says:

@Fenm: Obviously all of that backstory is NOT going to be in there. but to cut it out altogether…NO WAY!!! do you like Harry potter???? how could you have not liked finding all of that out. That was brilliant. But I pretty sure they’re going to cut down some of the tent stuff. there’s no way all of that is going to be in there. But I think it’s safe to say all of the big stuff is going to be in there aka: the 7 potters, the wedding, the ministry break in, godric’s hollow, the ron fight, the silver doe, malfoy manor, xenophilius lovegood, shell cottage, dobby’s death, gringotts break in, hogwarts battle, ron and hermione kiss, ravenclaw common room, snape’s death, harry’s “death”, neville cutting off the head of nagini, the voldemort battle, the epilogue!!!! i’m sure i left some stuff out, but there’s a good chance all of that is going to be in there and that’s awesome!

Avatar Image says:

YES, it happened the two part films, GOOD idea.

Avatar Image says:

Speaking objectively, I don’t see the movies as anything spectacular. Sure, they offer a visual aid to the books, but personally I prefer my imagination; the books were the main thing for me. The acting by the ‘kids’ was generally sub-par to begin with but they’re slowly coming into their own, finding their feet and I hope by 2010/11 they’ll have had enough experience to become really better actors.

On an entertainment level the films are good, but I don’t think it’s going to be the end of the world because of the delay. However, from a marketing aspect, they might want to re-think their strategy with the two-year gap between films. . .

Avatar Image says:

That is FANTASTIC news!!!!!!! Can’t wait!! I was wondering how they were going to fit that fantastic book into a measley 2 1/2 hour movie.

Avatar Image says:

YES, it happened the two part films, GOOD idea.

Avatar Image says:

Now they remember there are subplots that should make it into the film? Oh, sad oxymoron: I’ll be there to see both both films of course, but I find the decision a mere pretext to keep squeezing the HP money maker for one more year.

Avatar Image says:

Happy to hear it. I think the first part will end with the escape from Gringotts, and the dragon flying off into the sunset, and Ron (or Harry?) joking that Hermione wants it as a pet.

Avatar Image says:

@Jimi: I think they can probably introduce Bill and Fleur in book 7 or just Bill. We’ve already met Fleur. But I think they could maybe just have Kreacher say that Umbridge took the locket from him while he was in diagon alley or something. that sounds like something umbridge would do because she wouldn’t think an house elf deserved something as valuable as the locket.

This is fantastic news !

It might have taken them 6 years but -finally, both the source material AND the Potter fam network are being treated withe respect they deserve just as the Lord of The Rings and its fans were.

Avatar Image says:

I have a version of the book in MS Word and the EXACT halfway point of the book is when Hermione is trying to attack Ron in the tent after he returns. However, maybe there is more stuff in the first half of the book that can be cut so they will choose to make the halfway point later. It seems like in the second half of the book there is just about nothing that can be cut, except maybe some of the time spent hanging out at Shell Cottage.

Avatar Image says:

@Daniella: No way. that’s way too far into the story. I think it has to end somewhere around the Silver Doe, Malfoy Manor, or Shell cottage. A lot of stuff happens before, after, and during all of those points in the book.

Avatar Image says:

To all those concerned about Bill & Fleur: With Film 7 & 8 they can ADD both into the films. It won’t be that hard ‘cause they won’t be nearly as pressed for time.

Avatar Image says:

Shell Cottage, Malfoy Manor are both way too far in. The Silver Doe is even pushing it.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, wow. I love this. I think the cut will be made after Ron comes back, and they’ve destroyed the Horcrux. It just makes sense, since it’s exactly in the middle of the book, and we have a climax and all that. The last scene could be them apparating outside of Xenophilious house, and Yates will have like a majestic landscape and sappy music and all that stuff, LOL, I can see it right now!

Avatar Image says:

I dont know why some of you are complaining that WB is just trying to squeeze more money out of us. THATS NOT WHY. they specifically said that they cant cut too many of the parts out so they are splitting it into two movies. AND WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING ANYWAY. AT LEAST WE ARE GETTING MORE HARRY POTTER FILMS JUST LIKE ANOTHER HARRY POTTER BOOK (ENCYCLOPEDIA) you should be ashamed that you are accusing them of just trying to get money out of us. IF YOU’RE SO UPSET ABOUT IT THEN THERE IS ONLY ONE SOLOUTION. DONT GO SEE THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JEEZ. ... MOST OF US ARE REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THE TWO MOVIES AND YOUR NEGATIVITY IS JUST BRINGING US DOWN SO IF YOU HAVE ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS….. DONT BOTHER POSTING THEM

THANK YOU.

@Isabel.

I rather like that, actually.

Avatar Image says:

They need two films if they want to put everything they left out in the 5 and 6 first movies !

Yay for two! And Happy Birthday Sue! This is the best present for you! :D

Avatar Image says:

I like that we’ll be seeing a lot of DH on the big screen. Though kinda gutted, we’ll have to wait a bit longer to see the end. Now wonder where they are going to split it.

Avatar Image says:

No,No,No,No,No!!!!!! I am so upset about this!!! I’m not so upset about Yates, but I really don’t like the idea of the two movies being split so far apart!!! I mean, the idea of releasing the movies about 6 months apart from each other is pure torture!! I think it’s wrong and cruel!!! Ugh! I am so mad!!! I mean, are they saying that by the time the DVD for part 1 comes out, we’ll get to go see the 2nd part?! Oh my god, I am so dissapointed!

Avatar Image says:

YAY! And that goes for Yates too, though I’m a little sad (a lot sad) that its not Cuaron. OotP was good, I expect Yates will make the next three even better. :D

But OMG, we have to wait a whole YEAR for the next part?! .... ok,, not a whole year, lol, but still. This is going to be awesome either way!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

One place to split it would be just after Xeno’s house, because then you are still close to the midpoint of the book, but you’ve introduced the Hallows, so the title will make sense. However, that’s not a very climactic place to end a movie. They’ll probably make the split later like Malfoy Manor or Shell Cottage like some people are saying because there is so little that can be cut from that point on that they’d have trouble fitting it all in to the second movie.

Avatar Image says:

You can really tell now that Yates is indeed a TV director. I can just imagine the end of Deathly Hallows: Part 1.

RON: I get it, you choose him. HERMIONE: Ron, don’t go, don’t go! RON: disapparates HERMIONE: sobs VOICEOVER: Will Ron ever come back and reconcile with the love of his life? Will our heroes ever find the sword? Where will they ever find the remaining horcruxes? Find out, in 6 months, on the next episode of Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

Gringotts can be easily cut; they can be captured fron Xeno’s rather than from a random spot in the camp. That’d actually help speed up the film.

Avatar Image says:

Mixed feelings here. SO excited that Yates is staying on! Was very nervous Cuaron might come back, but now no worries about that. :) Also thrilled at the idea of very little plot being cut. BUT I can’t help but wish it were one long movie. I just think the first movie is going to be very lame and that we’re going to lose a lot by breaking it in two, but I hope to be proven wrong. I will stay optimistic and trust that these guys are pros. The other downer is, as many have mentioned, that it will take them TWO YEARS after HBP to come out with part 1 and then another 6 whole months for part 2!!! Good grief—what if we get hit by a bus between now and then???? But all in all, I can’t help but feel more happy than frustrated, mostly due to the talk about how they just can’t condense and slice and dice this one. I suppose the best thing is to not encourage our friends who haven’t read the book to go see part 1 until shortly before part 2…I just think part 2 is going to mean a lot less with part 1 so far behind it.

Avatar Image says:

This is wonderful news! I am in complete agreement, w/Mr Heyman and others, that there is no way to “pare down” this book. No “subplots”...By the way, kids! The projected release will be 6 months…NOT a year! I know, it’s still a “long time”, but it will give everyone a chance to see the first half, and then the second. It’s so unfortunate when the movies are too close together…or too far apart. Either you don’t get to see the first part, before it’s “pulled” or you “forget’ what happened in “the first half” WOW! This is great. And, it looks like I got my wish: MR DAVID YATES, AT THE HELM!!!!! By the way, from what I’ve seen, so far, Mr Kloves is the perfect screenwriter. He’ll know just how to put it all together…..two movies….nothing “lost” in the translation! I’m jazzed! [can you tell???] LOL [and lest than an hour between the article, with Mr Lewis, and the “offical announcement!”

Avatar Image says:

In fact, the split probably HAS to come after Xeno’s house or else no one will know what a deathly hallow is.

Avatar Image says:

YES! I’m so glad there will be two parts to DH! I can’t wait, it’s going to be great. I’m totally fine with Yates directing the films since I loved what he did with OotP (although Alfonso would have been awesome too). Madam Hooch I completly agree with you that the arrival at Shell Cottage would be a perfect scene for the split.

Avatar Image says:

Shell Cottage is far too late in the story.

Avatar Image says:

I KNEW IT! I bet they’ll cut it off around the silver doe, after Ron and Harry become friends again.

Avatar Image says:

I am so happy they decided to do this, I was worried they were going to butcher the last book, but now we know it will be done right and done with the best of teams at the helm! Great news for Potter fans across the world! =)

Avatar Image says:

I have to agree with TML on this: Shell Cottage is too far into the story to have the break. I still maintain that after Ron leaves is a great place to stop the first movie (even if there is a cheesy voice over. haha. —actually, i think yates would have much better taste to do that, even if he is a TV director.)

OMG OMG OMG! yes!

i am speechless and happy and excited and omg! how unfortunate though to how far apart they will come out.

A year between them? Bleh. :P

Avatar Image says:

YES!!! Although, I still don’t agree that cutting out S.P.E.W. was okay, which they seem to think it was. However, woo- hoo! They’re teasing me with the months apart release though. I think the original actors will probably play their characters in the epilouge but perhaps a little make-up magic will be performed to make them look older than they did at the Battle of Hogwarts. It’s kind of cool that we’ll get Potter releases so far into the future even though the wait will stink. (It’ll be nothing compared to the pain we had to endure waiting for the book) I’m happy about Yates as well.

Avatar Image says:

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I am screaming right as I type. I DO NOT want Yates 2 film these!!!!!!!! I am so P.O.ed!!!! The spliting thing is cool. I was hoping they would do that. But November and may is a long gap…hmm..oh well! I am happy at sliting it and VERY ANGRY that Yates is directiong!!!!!!!!!!Gotta go scream some more….....

Avatar Image says:

I love how everyone is moving up where part one should end. First it started out with Dobby’s funeral and now every seems to think cutting it after Ron comes back or when they’re at the lovegoods is a good place. I was thinking the Silver Doe would be a good place, so I guess that is around the time Ron comes back. But the Lovegoods is an interesting theory because I just thought that whole chapter with Xeno was pretty suspenseful. it was really creepy how Xeno was trying to keep them there and then when Harry saw Luna’s room. that’s a really good chapter.

TML

You can’t cut Gringott’s! That’s where they get one of the Horcruxes! And if you think WB are going to skip the chance to show the trio riding on the back of a dragon blasting through a bank… well I just don’t see how you could think of cutting Gringotts. I agree they probably should just be captured from Xeno’s. That makes a lot of sense. They’ll probably cut Potterwatch.

le woot!

Tyler

I completely agree. Who in the world would even suggest that they should cut Gringotts. That chapter was absolutely fantastic. It’s one of the most suspenseful and exciting moments in the whole book.

Avatar Image says:

They could lower the number of Horcruxes by one, move the Horcrux to Malfoy Manor… all sorts of easy fixes. The fact is that the most excess garbage from DH comes from the lead up to the whole scene at Gringotts. It being cut would fix most of their problems and allow for a better flowing story.

Avatar Image says:

Mixed feelings here… YAY for two movies (I was very much for this on the staff cast), but I dunno about Yates. He needs to commit to making two more-than-full length movies, I think, for it to be successful as a two-parter. He’s been quoted in interviews as saying that he’s a fan of the 90 minute film, and I just don’t think that will cut it for this (or for HBP, for that matter).

Avatar Image says:

My bet has always been that they’ll end the film after the attack by Nagini, with Harry nearly dead and Hermione knealing over him, wonderfully cheesy. Then open part II with Voldemort’s vision of the night of the Potters’ murder. In my non-screenwriter’s mind, that’d be perfect.

But, thankfully, I’m not the poor bloke who has to make these sorts of decisions… seeing as no matter what they choose, it’s bound to piss off a lot of people!

Tyler:

With all due respect, they can’t cut Potterwatch! It’s an essential part to connecting Harry to the wizarding world. Ron had to leave and discover Potterwatch. If he didn’t Harry and Hermione would have been cut off.

I know i’m being nitpicky, but still. If they’re doing two movies, i don’t think they’d have any reason to cut potterwatch. It reconnects everyone together.

Avatar Image says:

i do not like the idea of two films but i know(hopefully) i will change my mind when the movies come out. what upsets me is not knowing where they will split it and if its going to be a goood ending.

@Scarletti

If they change Xeno’s little bit to him suceeding to turn them in, Potterwatch won’t really matter.

Avatar Image says:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN CAPTURED FROM XENO’S??? It’s way more creepier if they get captured right after Harry says Voldemort’s name. And then Ron makes the lights go out. That part is alot better if it happens in the dark cause then it would make more sense for the snatchers to not immediately recognize Harry, Ron, or Hermione. And I think Malfoy Manor would look alot creepier if they arrive there at night. I’m surprised you guys are talking about what should be cut out now when there’s a good chance alot of stuff won’t be cut out. i thought some of you were hated the other films because “they cut alot of stuff out of them.”

Avatar Image says:

Captured from Xeno’s would be just fine and could be at night, too. It would be just as creepy.

Avatar Image says:

I think the end of the first part should be-in the water,Harry chokeing,and something pulling him….and then: MAGIC CONTINUESAWESOME!

and we’ll not be waiting 2 years for 1st DH than 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! filming begins in february 2009-so that means 2 years of filming-—-man…...........but thats ok.that means about 4 more years of HP.I like it. And it’s ok that DH1 and DH2 are 6 months apart. we have enough time to enoy in the first one(+DVD,I hope) and then all that excitement anout the grand final!!!!

thank you, God! and Jo:)

TML:

I think that small change would really affect the whole mood of the movie though. I think it would go in a direction that i wouldn’t really like. I still maintain Potterwatch as a good thing in the movie, though it’s such a small detail i wouldn’t be suprised if the took it out. But if they are going to be more accurate for the 7th book, there’s a hope that they might keep it.

Avatar Image says:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES! THIS IS AWESOME NEWS! I LOVELOVELOVE YATES! great. they’ll include EVERYTHING! can’t wait for filming to start February! i think they should end at Ron leaving. or dobby’s death! YES YES YES I’M SO HYPED!

Avatar Image says:

How would it change the mood? Being captured from Xeno’s is little different that being captured by random Death Eaters at some random camp. This way, rather than escape… wander the forest… THEN get caught… they just get caught.

Avatar Image says:

I think this calls for a SQUEEEEE!!!! I was a bit nervous about the whole 2 films thing at first (I voted “No, No, No!” in the poll), but then I thought that if Yates directed both I’d be fine with it. I am SO EXCITED!!!! Oh, and this means Hooper will be back to score, probably! Hooray!!! This is the BEST DAY EVER (except for July 21, 2007, of course…)

@Scarletti

I completely agree. Potterwatch is very important because it gives the trio a renewed hope. they kind of lost some of their hope when they went to see Xeno, who they thought they could trust and then he betrayed them. so Potterwatch is definitely important and plus it will let the audience know that Fred, George, and all the others are safe and still alive.

and that just reminded FRED DIES! Oh no! i forgot about that. that’s going to suck. Of course Potterwatch has to be in there because that’s like the last time we hear Fred before he gets killed.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! Squeeeeeeeee!!!!! <<<>>>>>

Okay, okay, I’m calm….. sqeee! :o)

@ Celia

PotterWatch would actually be a good way to bring film eight into an opening.

TML,

Yeah it would be kind of cool. If part two came on to the sound of the Potterwatch guys talking. That would be awesome actually. And then it could focus in on the trio listening to it. FREAKINAWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

Can’t say I’m too happy about this. One, I don’t particularly like David Yates’s treatment of Order of the Phoenix, and think different, better Directors deserve a chance. I can’t see why he gets to do three/four HP movies, when nobody else did. Two, I don’t like the idea of it being split into two movies, and having to shell out twice as much money to see them.

Not pleased.

@Celia

Yep. That was the brilliance behind my little idea, there.

Avatar Image says:

Good work. LOL. That is actually a really good idea. I can see it and everything. but i wonder if that’s too far into the film? I guess it’s not because that’s right before they get captured and taken to Malfoy Manor….

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm…so how likely is it that they may show new footage or a new trailer at ShoWest on Thursday?

Is it possible that we might get new photos or footage with the release of all this new info? Possibly by the weekend…?

Oh! It’s all very exciting!

Avatar Image says:

TML, i think i see your point. I think the trio gets captured by snatchers, right before malfoy manor (which might as well be death eaters). It would be easy to switch the two, but I guess my line of thinking had to do with everything in between these two points being lost, and i really don’t want any of it to be cut out. Harry obsesses with the hallows while they’re searching, and Ron gets reacquainted in the group.

Avatar Image says:

After the horror of cutting that was OotP, I’m hugely disappointed that Yates, who refuses to make movies over 2 hours long, is still at the helm of this. His direction and vision of book 5 was awful. It’s the only of the HP movies I haven’t watched more than twice.

I agree that nothing can be cut out of book 7 – but I’m sure Yates will still find a way to do it.

@Celia

The position of PotterWatch could easily be moved to earlier in the film. That’s not really a problem.

I’ve actually written a whole screenplay for Deathly Hallows… I’ve gone over all these dilemmas before; granted, I did do it before the rumour of two parts came to be, but I still did it. All 188 pages of it. X.x If you don’t believe me… well… Melissa, John, or Sue can use the e-mail address I used to send this tip in to chat with me… ‘cause I DID do it. (I wasn’t fond of the screenwriting for the fifth film so vented by writing the seventh.)

I wouldn’t mind guest hosting on PotterCast. (Hint, hint)

Avatar Image says:

I think everyone is forgetting something. David Yates completely rushed Order of the Pheonix so what makes you think hes not gonna rush these last two? PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS CUZ IM CURIOUS AS TO WAT U GUYS THINK

Thanks Celia!

I completely agree. I think in order to keep DH as accurate as possible, they can’t just cut something like that out. It might just make me really mad if they did, because it was SUCH a pivotal aspect that brings the trio together again. This revived hope is essential, and it really helps Harry move on, especially hearing friends voices.

Avatar Image says:

I agree/disagree with a two part movie. But I do agree, if there’s two parts, with Madam Hooch’s idea of breaking it up before Dobby’s funeral. I would love to go to a Harry Potter movie where the entire audience is silent and crying. It will be a highlight of my life.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not saying they SHOULD cut Potterwatch, I’m just saying they might since they might consider a scene with people just listening to the radio to be too slow.

TML, I can’t believe you’re serious about moving the Gringott’s Horcrux to make the story flow better. You’re kidding, right? That would be like deleting the whole Battle of Hogwarts to make it easier for Harry and Voldemort to have their final showdown.

Ah well, if I had my way nothing would be cut but I’m just trying to think like the makers of the movies will be thinking. I do like the idea of the Potterwatch lead-in to the second movie.

Avatar Image says:

I blame the screenwriting and editing for the flop that was HP5. I don’t think it had to do with Yates. I don’t know if you noticed, but the acting was better in 5 than any of the others, the direction was better… it’s just the script and editing that lacked… and those really aren’t the directors bits. More the Producer, Editor, and Screenwriter.

Avatar Image says:

I hope the same actor plays Olivander. We do not see that actor often enough. May be he prefers theatre. We do not even see him on British Television.

Chrismas may come more than once a year.

Avatar Image says:

I’m happy it’s being split, but I wanted ALFONSO to direct at least one of them. I’m so sorely disappointed by this. Ron and Hermione are my two favorite characters, and Alfonso got pretty good performances out of Rupert and Emma. Now we’re probably going to see more of the same :( Oh well. The movies are fun, but I guess it’s about the books in the end.

Avatar Image says:

OMG! i am so freakin excited! my sister called me to the computer and she was just screaming and i read what it said and i almost like died because my life was complete! i love david yates and now we have the full DH story in BOTH movies!!!!!!!! The only porblem with me is the wait. I can not wait for like 6 months for the other half. well, i love this book and i hope that the movieS will me awesome!:)

@Tyler

Removing or moving a Horcrux is not really detrimental to the story.

Avatar Image says:

I think Dobby’s death and funeral following the Malfoy Manor would be a good climax for the first film, with Harry making his decision of Hallows over Horcruxes as a sort of resolution. Stuff with Ollivander and Griphook (tough without Shell Cottage though) can be part of the wind-down. That way, the second one can start at the beginning of the 24 hours (May 1st/2nd) of Gringotts and the Battle of Hogwarts, which will get awesome screentime of course!

TML

You would be a cool guest host. LOL. but I’m really excited now. You probably shouldn’t have brought that whole Potterwatch opening part two idea, because now if part two doesn’t open that way, i’m gonna be extremely disappointed. I literally can’t see it happening any other way. But that’s sooo cool. I can’t believe you wrote a whole screenplay…actually yes I can but maybe you should send it to Steve Kloves. You could co-write the screenplay of DH together and you’ve already got a headstart lol. but Steve Kloves is definitely going to need some help. that book is huge. i still can’t believe you wrote one and you didn’t even get paid do it.

@TML

I do agree that the acting wAs better except for hermione and seamus. they were talking WAY TO FAST. and nowone in the theatre could understand what they were saying. Emaa watson is my favoutite actress but i think she diditn do as well as she did in philosephers stone

Avatar Image says:

You would be a cool guest host. Thanks. Make sure to mention that to the staff of PotterCast. =-D

but I’m really excited now. You probably shouldn’t have brought that whole Potterwatch opening part two idea, because now if part two doesn’t open that way, i’m gonna be extremely disappointed. I literally can’t see it happening any other way. But that’s sooo cool. I am too… I’m really riveted. I have my own site that keeps up with the news, too, Harrypotternewsreel.blogspot.com, so I had this bit just before Leaky. is thrilled.

You could co-write the screenplay of DH together and you’ve already got a headstart lol. but Steve Kloves is definitely going to need some help. that book is huge. i still can’t believe you wrote one and you didn’t even get paid do it. I thought about that, but I know It’d never happen.

Avatar Image says:

alright! i guess this is as good as official.

so its quite simply Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 and 2?

a bit unimaginative dont you think?

Avatar Image says:

I just realized something else. THERE IS NO WAY THEY CAN CUT MOVIE ONE AT SHELLL COTTAGE. ITS IMPOSSIBLE. .............Bill and Fleur are not even introduced in movie 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 . they cant just introduce them in movie 7 out of nowhere. WAIT A MINUTE…... THAT MEANS HARRY CANT EVEN BURRY DOBBIE AT SHELL COTTAGE

OMG SOMEONE REPL IM SOO CONFUSED

TML

Actually removing Gringott’s would be detrimental to the story. (I can hear this argument continuing. IS!! IS NOT!!! IS!!! IS NOT!!!) We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Avatar Image says:

OH MY GOSH!! I am SO excited right now. I can easily get over the director part. I just absolutely HATE the wait between the two films though! I told everyone who was near about this as soon as I read it. It is funny to think that I will be driving myself to see the second half of the movie! I will be the first one in line at my local theater. YES!! FINALLY SOME STRAIGHT FORWARD, AWESOME NEWS!!

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You hear that? It’s the agonised cries of the cash cow as WB milk every last drop out of her.

I welcome Yates to direct but two movies – bad idea. A really bad idea. Make one movie that lasts three hours. Way to go to split the tension up. URGH.

Avatar Image says:

Actually removing Gringott’s would be detrimental to the story. Not really. Other than the bit about the Horcrux, what purpose does it serve?

Avatar Image says:

@michy: I agree with the whole not understanding some of the actors. I personally can’t understand what Alan Rickman is saying, but he has a good excuse because of his whole jaw problem. But I can understand the trio perfectly.

Avatar Image says:

THEY CAN NOT AND WILL NOT REMOVE THE GRINGOTTS SCENE . AS SOMEONE AID BEFORE….. THERE IS NO WAY THAT THEY ARE GOING TO SKIP A CHANCE TO SHOOT THE TRIO RIDING A DRAGON INTO THE SUNSET. AND THE HORCRUZ PART IS IMPOTANT TOO.

Avatar Image says:

I’M STILL SHOCKED THAT SOME OF YOU ACTUALLY WANT THE GRINGOTTS CHAPTER REMOVED! I’m getting sick just thinking about it. That part is amazing in the book. It’s sooo suspenseful, there’s no way they’re going to cut that out. That part is sooo good that it was on two book covers. The UK edition and the US deluxe edition. so there’s no way they would even think about cutting that out. Plus if they do then Hermoine wouldn’t get her revenge on Bellatrix for torturing her and they also wouldn’t get the goblet horcrux.

@ celia

What about the whole shell cottage thing. Do you think they are even going to do that scene cuz bill and fleur havent been introduced into any of the movies and they definately cant do it now

Avatar Image says:

You can’t understand Alan Rickman? He has a jaw problem??

...

I didn’t know that, honestly. Ofcoarse I would understand him. I’m Dutch. We’ve got subtitles.

Avatar Image says:

I didnt know alan rickman had a jaw problem either and I can understand him perfectly. the most actually

Avatar Image says:

will they have to re negotiate everyones contracts?

Avatar Image says:

@Michy: Uh hello. The wedding is going to be in there. I’m pretty sure they can easily introduce Bill sometime during that. And we’ve already met Fleur so it’s not a big deal. It’s a wedding. The wedding itself isn’t that important anyways, what harry finds out DURING the wedding is what’s important: he sees that symbol the first time, aunt muriel tells him a lot of stuff about dumbledore that turns out to be true, kingsley comes and gives that line that will be awesome in a film, “Scrimgeour is dead. The Ministry has fallen. They’re coming.” That line is going to give everyone in the audience chills. They have to have bill and fleur so that they can have the wedding, just so we can hear Kingsley say that line.

Avatar Image says:

Im so happy about this!! .

Is the best they can do, to close the series with two good movies that honour the books.

I think the best part to cut the first movie is when they arrive to Shell Cottage after Malfoy Manor, when Harry decides not to go after Voldemort for the Elder Wand. The ending scene could be when Voldemort retrieves the Wand from Dumbledore’s tomb. That is at the end of chapter 24.

Avatar Image says:

I can understand Alan rickman most of the time. but i usually can’t. i still love his voice though, it makes me swoon. but like in the occlumency scenes with Harry, when we see the flashback with sirius and harry hugging and then snape is behind them and says something. i could not understand what he said all three times i saw that movie in the theatres. but everytime it got to that part the audience would laugh and had no idea why?! but after i watched it at home with subtitles i figured out that he had been saying, “I may vomit.”

Avatar Image says:

will they have to re negotiate everyones contracts?

Posted by jain on March 12, 2008 @ 07:21 PM

I thought the same thing. If I remeber they get the contracts signed for the trio before DH came out so they would not know that they would be making two films so they would need new contracts. I am sure it is all one film shoot but it will take longer then the other films especally for the trio who will be in 90% (100% for Dan) of the movie. This will get into Dan’s other filming he may have commited too. Maybe that is why it is taking longer to get movie 1 out because they had to work around other commitments.

@celia

But its going to be really weird for people who havent read the books to be introduced to bill. And they havent seen fleur in 2 movies so shes just going to pop up and get married to this random old guy who claims to be the eldest weasley even though we havent seen or heard of him in all movies. Also, they are not going to have a lot of time to introduce him cuz the wedding is at the beggining. Its going to be really weird even for me even though I have read the books. Like is harry just going to be sitting at the wesley table and say: ” Hey, Bill . It is nice to finally see you after like five movies. Just to let you know Hermione, he is the eldest Weasly”

Thats really weird. Bill and Fleurs part is so important but it seems like its too late. If they were smart, they would put bill and Fleur in the sixth movie so that we already know who they are (phew..that was long)

Avatar Image says:

What cool news for my birthday!!!

Avatar Image says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! amid a confusion of feelings i seriously DON”T know what to make of this! I’m happy theyre making twoo DH parts, but I’m driving myself nuts to whether David Yates was the right person.. I just don’t know! X@.

Avatar Image says:

About shell cottage and Bill and Fleur not being in HBP movie, for me it is pretty ob