Matt Lewis Talks Neville and “Deathly Hallows”

319

Mar 12, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Actor Matthew Lewis appeared at Collectormania in Manchester England over the weekend, where he discussed his role at Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter movies. Snitchseeker.com reports that along with his brother Anthony (Torchwood), Matt made several comments about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. He was asked about filming the dramatic scene at the end of the book involving Neville, Nagini and the sword, and Matt apparently said “Oh yeah. It’ll be really cool but I’m going to have to have lots of training. We did with Order of the Phoenix and using the wands but this one is going to be much more extensive.” (His brother joked in response ””There’d have to be for anyone to trust him with a sword.”)

Of interest in the report as well is that Matt apparently said that Deathly Hallows would be made in two movies. This follows on many of the rumors we’ve heard previously, and we heard last month, the producers of the film said this possibility is being explored, but is STILL NOT CONFIRMED. Again, as exciting as all this is, the producers of the Harry Potter films, David Barron and David Heyman, have said filming on “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” would begin next February, and an announcement confirming the director and the film would be forthcoming in the near future. Stay tuned, we will update with more when we can.

Thanks much to Laurie and Snitchseeker!

37 Responses to Matt Lewis Talks Neville and “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

Matt is such a great guy! Awesome actor and such a sweetie :)

I really REALLY REALLY hope DH is two films… :) great article!!!

Avatar Image says:

O thank you Matt for informations!!! I think for sure it’s going to be 2 parts DH.YAY! Can’t wait to see Neville cut Naginis head off!!!

I think Matt is a big fan of Collectormania!!!

he’s the right neville!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hopefully DH won’t be in two parts, such greediness from WB would be very disappointing.

I really don’t want to boycott it.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think it’s greedy, I’m glad that they are seriously considering two films because that way, none of the major key points would be cut out. DH is so complex, there is so much going on in it, and Jo wrote it all out to make sense. I think if they cut even the slightest thing out, it would be total chaos, and personally, I’d really like to see Bill and Fleur’s wedding and that would almost for sure get cut out, you know? I’m really hoping for two films. .

On the other hand, go Matt! Kill Nagini! :D

Also – Milo from Evanna Lynch Fans (evannalynchfans.com) was at the bridge filming the other day, and he heard something about this. There’s a story on said website, go there and read about it. :)

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t it funny that no matter how high you rise, your brother will always bring you back down to earth . . . :-)

Avatar Image says:

im just praying that deathly hallows is split in 2 that would be brilliant!! as long as we dont have to wait another year for the next one!! i dont think i could wait a whole year for the battle it would be way to depressing! lol but matt lewis is awesome! i love him such a great actor !! cant wait for his scene in DH :) !!

Avatar Image says:

Right now I wish WB would just give us some information. The near future to me means the next two weeks but the same was said four weeks ago.

Avatar Image says:

Briliant! Expect Cuaron will be on board for the two-film DH, like Quentin Tarantino and Rodrigez on Grindhouse. Can’t wait.

Avatar Image says:

They can make a complex movie without splitting the film in to two parts. Just make it long enough and have a good script.

They’ve never bothered doing it before, but now they’re out of books and their moneymaking machine is about to run out, so they’re getting desperate.

If they had put up a better effort before to be faithful to the books, this wouldn’t bother me at all. But no, they didn’t care then, and I don’t think they have started to care now, so this is just greediness.

Avatar Image says:

All the crew know it is happening, so you will continue to hear more of these things until the official press release is made.

Avatar Image says:

There’s enoguh plot within the first half to make one movie, and that’s cutting a lot..

So, I guess I’m cool with it. This is the third time I’ve read someone pretty legit saying it will be two films.

Avatar Image says:

Where is Warner Bros these days? They haven’t confirmed the DH split STILL, nor have we had confirmation of a director, and nothing is happening on the HBP front either! Let’s hope for some news before the whole fandom loses interest!

Avatar Image says:

God,Mattie Lewis has got Hot recently!I saw him at the OOTP premiere and dropped!Anyway on this article…hum..i hope DH isn’t split into two movies!Alot of the book was just all that moving around stuff and that in film wouldn’t take up too much time…the material would be spread too thinly and it’d get boring.They should just go back to the 2 and a half hour film and keep all the important bits in that way.

It’s official: 2 films. On the latimes.com front page

I told ya so.

Avatar Image says:

I think the cats out of the bag- we seem to hear more news about the movie from other people than WB- I have no idea why, thats why we get so thrilled about something so little as a bridge scene-LOL, but yes I think it is most likely by now that it is two films which is a big relief to some of us who complain about them leaving stuff out- regardless there still will be stuff left out but less left out the better. Now we just need confirmation on this and the director- and would it be too hard to ask for more HBP news?

Well, boo for that.

I doubt I’ll watch it (in a theater).

Avatar Image says:

I vote for David Yates to direct DH….by the way, WB is not being greedy, in my view…they just want to do a good job. I think [if this is true] that two movies makes sense…they won’t cut as much [again, I hope] WHAT HAPPENED TO HBP? Did everyone forget that little “gem” that ends primary filming, in two months? Let’s get through that before taking on the “he said/she said” for DH, [as Mr Malfoy would say] “Shall we?” LOL! JMHO

Avatar Image says:

yup, i just saw it as well on latimes.com… there is quite a time gap between the 2 parts which sucks.. it would be better if the two were released closer together but oh well… They are also making it seem like David Yates/David Heyman are working on the two again, with that i hope they don’t butcher the final movie like that have been lately. I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

Avatar Image says:

yup it is finally confirmed.. i went back and re-read the article on latimes.com and David Yates is confirmed as the Director for the Final Movie (both parts).. and will film them concurrently… so there ya go!

Avatar Image says:

BTW: I would imagine [guessing, again] that DH will be filmed “back to back”. Hopefully, it WON’T be a whole year before we see it. I think the names could be ‘Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, Part I: The Horcrux Journey. And then: ‘Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, Part II: The Battle For Hogwarts. Just a thought! LOL

Avatar Image says:

According to the LA Times, the names will be “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II”. They’re supposed to be released November 2010 and May 2011. I’m excited to hear what WB actually has to say on Thursday. If the LA Times is right (which I hope it is).

Avatar Image says:

I just read that article on latimes.com! Holy Toledo! Yay! I like what Dan had to say.

Anyway, I hope Leaky confirms it with their source and posts about it soon. I don’t ever really believe anything like this until Leaky confirms.

Avatar Image says:

Well, color me disappointed. I’m one of those that has been against a split from the very first inkling of the rumor. To me it’s just a bad idea.

Having every single little detail in the book in the movie does not necessarily a good film make. I would much rather watch a good film than to feel like the story is dragging on, which I feel is likely to happen with this two parter. I don’t think average movie goers are going to want to see it. People that don’t like the first half will be more unlikely to go see the second half. And with the economy as it is, gas prices, etc, people are not going out and spending as much as they used to, and I feel confindent in saying that the average movie goer and families (which the films have been marketed towards), especially large families are going to be less likely to spend twice the money for what should be one movie (heck, I’m a Potter fan and even I’m not inclined to spend twice the money for one movie, especially with ticket prices and my own personal expenses (car payments, bills, etc) that I have to pay each month).

So yeah, chances of my butt and my family’s butts being in those theater seats has just drastically diminished.

Avatar Image says:

Obviously there’s going to be people who like the 2-part idea and those who don’t…but honestly, if you think 2 movies is going to be a waste of your money then don’t bother going. yes, the 2-parter may be less successful with the general public, may cost you a bit more money and usher out a whole lot of critics…but honeslty- i’d much rather movies that do justice to the books, the story and to fans alike then boycott something you have no control over. The studios will either make 2 movies or they won’t. if you’re upset about paying for another movie ticket, well id suggest not going to see other movies or take public transit. Perhaps it couldve easily be done just as 1 movie, but the extra movie can also better support local cinemas (if you go to those) the actors and a franchise you probably enjoy anyways, seeing as you visit the realted fansite. I’m stil skeptcal but excited no matter which way DH goes.

Avatar Image says:

I saw Anthony Lewis’s guest performance in Torchwood and it was just terrific! That episode could’ve lived or died based on his acting, and fortunately he delivers in spades. If you haven’t seen it yet then I strongly recommend it. It’s great to know that there are two incredibly talented actors in the Lewis family!

As for Neville’s pivotal scene in “Deathly Hallows” – it’s my favourite punch-the-air moment in the whole book. I’m sure Matthew will knock it out of the ballpark in the film. Can’t wait to see it!

Avatar Image says:

It was a punch the air moment for me, too! I can’t wait to see this scene in the movie. Matt will do a brilliant job with it and I fully expect audiences to cheer!

Avatar Image says:

Confederate Lady I like the idea of adding a little subtitle [and having JK Rowling decide on it] but those two you picked are great! By the way, I wonder where the stopping point will be between films??? IDEAS??

Avatar Image says:

His brother looks very much like him, and was playing such a sweet, Neville-y character over on Torchwood that it made watching the episode very crossovery indeed!

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if this made the producers confirm the whole thing. If so, then I thank Matt. The suspense was killing me and an official announcement was really really needed!!

Avatar Image says:

LOL where it said “filming begins next February.” I thought it said “Friday” xDDD I was like OMG ALREADY?!

I’m such an idiot lol.

Also, a link between Harry Potter and Torchwood! This means that I now have an excuse for watching it every week lol xDD

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry but who does his bro play in Torchwood? I think I missed that ep.

My comments on the movie split I think were lost on page 132 of that article or something so this is what I said (sorry to anyone who reads this twice):

I’m very wary of this decision. If these are just going to be two hour and 1/2 films, I’m going to be very upset.It’s like when gunsnroses had those two albums released at the same time instead of a double album. It is a very transparent way of milking the dead horse. Why they couldn’t just give it the Lord of the Rings treatment (long theatrical release & even longer dvd release; which really they should’ve done from movie 4 on) as Noe has suggested many times, I’ll never know. One thing’s for sure, they just ruined their chance of any sort of big awards.

But I can’t decide what’s preferable, to have them neuter it like OotP, or to have them drag it out to two separate films like this. And like Hayman says, where are they going to split it? There aren’t too many natural moments for that. I guess it could happen right after Neville saves everybody from Malfoy manor and gets stabbed. That way people might forget he’s dead by the time he shows up to chop off Nagini’s head.

We already know that as Bill and Fleur are omitted, the trio will have to flee when DEs attack Lee Jordan’s Bar Mitzfa. I thought they would just cut that whole part out altogether and have the DEs attack Harry’s birthday party at Hagrid’s hut (which won’t be burned down at the end of movie6) rather than the Burrow (which as you may have heard, will be burned down in movie 6).

What I’m saying is that I wouldn’t get too excited people. Just because it’s being made into two movies doesn’t mean they’re NOT going to mangle the story which I’m sure they most certainly will.

Avatar Image says:

I’m with you, Leif L. I think those who had hoped for a two-parter will be very disappointed when the movies still cannot include every single detail. Everyone has had to deal with a favorite scene being excluded, and that will continue to happen. I’m not afraid that the two movies will be bloated, but I do fear they’ll try to hard to put back in all the things they had left out, leaving the flow of the story choppy.

I’m eagerly looking forward to Neville’s big moment. I try not to do it, but I can see EXACTLY how the scene should look in my head. (Many HP moments have been uncannily as how I picture them, and I hope this is one of them!)

Avatar Image says:

He plays Tosh’s very doomed love, and it’s one of the sweetest eps of the season so far! ‘Cept I came out shipping Tosh/Neville. :P

I think, as well as plot-choppings, we can also expect a few things to happen in a different order? Meeting Xenophilius, for example, could happen anywhere in the books, and might be moved up to the first film.

Also, what I’m really hoping is that the film fleshes out the other trio’s role, and we actually get to see Ginny and co steal the sword and stuff. Because otherwise… there’s just not enough Ginny to sustain the two films.

Avatar Image says:

Well, this old lady think’s Matt Lewis is hot, even if I’m WAY too old for him.

What I like best is how the cast seems to have grown up with their heads screwed on straight – no McCauly Caulkins.

Avatar ImagecrazyforSeverus says: Can't wait for the scene with Nagini. Matt is awesome as Neville! This was one of my favourite parts of the book. It's good to know he's getting training/preped for the scene so it'll be done properly. Avatar ImageMrs. Longbottom says: I AM SO EXCITED FOR NEVILLE TO BE A BEAST! This scene in the book made me so happy that he finally got a chance to really shine and show what he's made of. :)

Write a Reply or Comment