Emma Watson to Attend, Present at Empire Awards

333

Mar 07, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Actress Emma Watson has updated her website with a diary entry noting she will be attending the Empire Magazine Awards this Sunday. The actress, who portrays Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series, says she is also going to be presenting an award, and she hopes it will be “a good night for Potter.” As readers will recall, Harry Potter received six nominations at this year’s Empire Awards, including a Best Actress nomination for Emma Watson. Also nominated is Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) as Best Actor. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was nominated as general “Best Film,” and was nominated as Best Film in the “Sci-fi/Fantasy” category. Finally David Yates was nominated as “Best Director,” with the music for the fifth Harry Potter film by Nicholas Hooper nominated for “Best Soundtrack.” These awards will be presented Sunday night in London, England and broadcast on UK Channel ITV2 on Monday 10th March at 9pm.

One related note, Emma Watson also recently did some charity work, when she attended an event in Monte Carlo, Monaco for Liverpool’s Safe Place Appeal. Proceeds from this event went to a center which helps abused children. You can read more about this here.

51 Responses to Emma Watson to Attend, Present at Empire Awards

Avatar Image says:

First! All the best to the films, hope they win something!

keep going emma..

Avatar Image says:

Awesome . I wish Rupert was nominated for something… hm.

Good luck Potter!!!

Avatar Image says:

Rupert Grint gets jipped out of everything lol. Personally, I think he’s the best actor out of the trio, yet he doesn’t get crap.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations !! to all nominated.Hopefull for some wins. Daniel was wonderful in this film and more than deserves this nominaton. I hope he sees the win but I will be beyond pleasently surprised if he is given it.

Avatar Image says:

man, i wish rupert got some credit on something.. he’s barely had any nominations…

Avatar Image says:

congrats emma n good luck to all-esp dan,emma,yates…am so happy n proud…my emma was in monaco 4 tht charity thing like y’day/day b4 n now she’s back in uk for tht empire awards thing..wow..ain’t she filming hbp?she really jet sets all over!hahaa

pray dan attends…good luck.

Avatar Image says:

Dan was up against some tough competition I seem to remember. But Emma has a chance of winning. I wonder what award she is presenting.

Avatar Image says:

by the way for people complaining that Rup didn’t get nominated, the nominations for this award was by public vote. So Rup fans only have themselves to blame for not voting on this one! Simple as that.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t care about these awards, but it’s nice to hear about Emma’s involvement with another charity.

WELL DONE Emma!

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Emma is one very classy girl. It’s been such a delight watching her grow up from the little kid in Sorcerer’s Stone into such a beautiful and elegant young woman.

Avatar Image says:

I love Emma Watson, but I don’t think she stands a chance against Cate Blanchet or even Keira knightley.. Not that she is not a good actress, I really think she is!! but she still has much to learn to get there.

Daniel sRadcliffe’s nomination is another story! The only one there that could win instead of him is James McAvoy… I hope Daniel wins thought… he has being doing such a great job on his career and this last HP movie really shows how much better he is getting. He doesn’t stop blowing us away and pushing always for better!

All the luck for them!!! :) Let’s hope

Avatar Image says:

I adore this girl. Go Emma :)

Avatar Image says:

i hope they all win expecialy emma i simply adore her!!

Avatar Image says:

First, let me add my congratulations, to all the nominiees….second, let me add my commendation, to Ms Watson, for her wonderful Charitable work. Lastly, to all my fellow “Rupertites”........I just know there’s something, in the wind, for our Red Headed Hero! Hang in there, Mr Grint! Your time is coming.:D

let’s seeeeeeeee

:: Best Sci-fi/Fantasy

Sunshine Stardust Transformers Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

although i simply adore ‘stardust’ i think OotP or transformers will win

:: The Sony Ericsson Soundtrack Award

Control Atonement Once Hairspray Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

i’m sorry but i listened to the HP soundtrack and it isnt as good as the others (the third one is my favourite :D) and if ‘once’ doesnt win i will be really shocked considering its the best there

:: Best Actress

Keira Knightley (Atonement) Emma Watson (Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix) Katherine Heigl (Knocked Up) Angelina Jolie (A Mighty Heart) Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth: The Golden Age)

katherine heigl has my vote but i really cant predict who will win this one, nooo offence to emma fans or anything (because i quite like her) but i dont think she compares to the rest, sorry :( ...well besides keira knightley…

:: Best Actor

Matt Damon (The Bourne Ultimatum) Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix) James McAvoy (Atonement) Simon Pegg (Hot Fuzz) Gerard Butler (300)

i looove all the guys there and i actually think dan has a good chance of winning :)

:: Best Director

Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Ultimatum) Joe Wright (Atonement) David Yates (Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix) Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz) David Fincher (Zodiac)

i dont know about this one…. i mean id say its a toss up between yates and greengrass

:: Best Film

The Bourne Ultimatum Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix Ratatouille The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford Zodiac

i’d say OotP will win this one but it would be so cool if ratatouille won!

Avatar Image says:

Should have known the Pooperts would come out. That’s a shame. Kudos to Emma for her charity work. Sounds like good cause to support. Good luck to Emma,Dan and all HP people who have bee nominated in one form or another.

Avatar Image says:

Cool! Dan will probably be there too. And I really hope Rupert shows, even though he isn’t nominated and would probably rather be just about anywhere else…

Avatar Image says:

emma watson is realy fit and is great

Avatar Image says:

No poor Ruperts on this one, guys! It’s just a popularity contest. No need to get the panties in a twist. I like that Rupert is underrated. Makes him more special.

I hope they all go like at the NMA’s! I would love to see what Evanna wears this time. And I loved Emma’s blue dress.

Avatar Image says:

Hey guys!!! I just want to share this very special day with my favourite website! I’m finally 18!!!! Happy birthday to me!

I’m really happy for Emma and Dan! But you’re all asking for Rupert. He really is fantastic actor,I love his films,but OOTP was so bad for Rupert and Emma. It makes us wonder-where are Ron and Hermione? So why would he(or Emma) be nominated? But anyway I love them so much : )

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry I love Dan, but if James McAvoy doesn’t win for Atonement then that’s just ridiculous.

Avatar Image says:

Gerard Butler was HOT in more aspects than one in 300!! Not only was his acting intense, but he also went through some serious training to sculpt himself for the role.

I wish Rupert would get nominated for something… He deserves it just as much as his companions.

I think a lot of people compare Emma to Keira because they are both known to play the “outspoken-female” roles, besides the fact that they are still learning and polishing their craft (no pun intended). I like Keira and feel she has much more to offer than when she first started. She was throwing a bit too many fits in Pirates… Come to think of it, most of her roles have required a considerable amount of fit-throwing. I look forward to seeing Atonement, and hopefully gain a fresh perspective. And please, let’s not get started on the outrageous Yule Ball fit that Hermione threw. They should have re-shot that scene until it didn’t look so…um…weird. Okay, I will let her live that one down, since I am still a big fan. Moving right along…

Dan stepped out of his Potter shadow for theatre and did it very well…I wonder if Emma would have gotten more credit for her acting had she done some theater by now instead of a made-for-television movie? In my opinion, she did a great job in Ballet Shoes, so the previously mentioned is just a thought.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t want to burst anyones bubble, but none of the trio should be nominated!!! They’re not awful, but nothing they do sounds or looks natural. Too stiff and forced, especially Emma. No real emotion comes from Dan’s face. Rupert is only good at the funny bits, and his I’m Scared acting is really grating on me now!

Avatar Image says:

Well Tom M I’m glad no one really listens to you, for some reason you are on the other side on your comp writing messages, like any others fan you have a say but it doesn’t mean you’re right!

Avatar Image says:

Well, I agree with Tom M- I think that Emma’s acting is pretty atrocious. However, I do think that an has significantly improved and Rupert does well in his part (as small as it is).

Avatar Image says:

Soory- that random “an” should be “Dan”

Avatar Image says:

groans Who keeps voting for her in this stuff? My cat is a better actor than she is.

Avatar Image says:

“Should have known the Pooperts would come out”

Are you six years old?

Avatar Image says:

If Emma is presenting, then there’s a big chance she is going to win. They usualy make sure that the possible winnrers will attend. Besides, This award is voted by the public after all and the NMA is a precedent. Dan may also have a chance of winning but I don’t know if he will attend. let’s see if that death threat news is for real.

Either way, Dan’s attendance or absence will create news. If he doesn’t go, then the tabloids will see that as a proof that there is a threat and they’re taking the threat seriously. If he goes but brings a huge retinue of SAS (lol) that still will be a sign thate there really is a threat. Can’t win either way…

Avatar Image says:

“If Emma is presenting, then there’s a big chance she is going to win. They usualy make sure that the possible winnrers will attend.”

Not necessarily… the HP kids usually attend the Empire awards but I don’t believe they’ve ever won in the acting cagetory. I really love Emma as I said before but I hope she doesn’t win, that would just look silly since she obviously didn’t give the best performance of the year.

Avatar Image says:

Except if he goes and just has his usual entourage…which would kill the rumours entirely. Who knows? Maybe he’ll bring his dogs!

Congrats to the OOTP team!

Avatar Image says:

i do so want emma,dan to win…and ootp..but we haf to see her chances..emma may win on popularity…but maybe not on talent..after all,i did c cate as Elizabeth..wow..keira is not a good actress at all.overrated.dan’s good.mcavoy is somewhat ok.but i dun like him as an actor.. i do think dan,emma,ootp,yates got a good chance..am proud emma’s presenting..wonder wht award-hahaa..it’ll be nice if she can present best actor award or best movie! good luck 2 them all!i do hope dan,yates will attend.barron,heyman too.

Avatar Image says:

Whodunit: “I wonder if Emma would have gotten more credit for her acting had she done some theater by now instead of a made-for-television movie?”

It would be more appropriate to say ‘had she done an adult role by now… regardless of whether TV or stage’.

Avatar Image says:

George Clooney once made a joke about the strange pecking order among actors. He said Stage actors look down on movie actors. But movie actors look down on TV actors. Thank God there’s reality TV so that we can all have someone to look down on. lol…

BTW, the HP actors have never been nominated for acting in the Empire awards. They’re inlcuded this time because it’s an online voting. And there’s a 90% probability that Emma and Dan will win. Dan’s only tough competitor is McAvoy whose fan base is minuscue compared to Dan. Emma is no match for Blanchett and Keirs but her fanbase is even bigger than Dan’s.

Avatar Image says:

ok loves i personally they all should win because i luv them

but emma is a overreacter though i suppose she would be better if she toned it down

second why is my rupe not nominated, he should be i luv him and all u rupert haters out ther dont call us the pooperts thats just plain mean

Avatar Image says:

Yup, the best way to shoot down the death threat rumors would be for Dan to attend the Empire awards and bring his dogs with him! lol. Yah, he must guard himself against crazed fans and attention seeking comedians who might want to steal another kiss from him again. rofl

Avatar Image says:

HBo and Showtime film productions being exceptions in the US for made-for-tv performing.That isn’t looked down upon. it is indeed sad that in the US acting on tv in those m-f-tv films and just tv in general are looked down upon.i like the way that acting and working as an actor is thought of in yjr Uk. All good work for any actor to have.

i loved Clooney’s statement-sad but true.lol!

Avatar Image says:

‘90% chance that Dan and Emma will win’. I really like both of them but I seriously doubt they will win. McAvoy was brilliant in Atonement and, yes, his fan base is not that of Dan’s but he is still greatly respected as an actor now. Whereas many people arent that impressed with Dan’s acting. Personally I think he does tend to overact a little bit, but I still think he’s great. And as for Emma, well, she is up against Cate and Kiera, two of the biggest names in acting at the moment. And Cate particually is hugely respected for her craft. Emma, for many non HP fans, just isnt in their league yet. Out od all the trio I think Rupert does the best job. He’s great, considering what he has to work with. I’ve also met him and he was really friendly but quite shy!

Avatar Image says:

Best Actor-James McAvoy of course.Sorry,Dan he was lots better.Dan was extremely good in the film but McAvoy was better.Just excellent.Dan may have a bigger chance for HBP even if I think that HBP won’t be that emotional-driven for Harry (except for the finale).DH will be Dan’s best time to shine.

Best Actress-Emma?No way…Knightley was very good and Blanchett too.I’d vote Blanchett.

Best Soundtrack-Atonement BY FAR.

Best Sci-Fi Film-hmmmm…I think it’ll be a tough choice between OotP and Transformers even if I prefer OotP.

Best Film-OotP may get that one!

Direction-hmmmm…that’s really difficult for OotP.But who knows?

I think it has a chance to win 2-3 Awards and I hope so because, let’s be honest…it doesn’t deserve “Best Actor,Actress,Soundtrack”...it may get all the other 3 awards, though and I hope so.

Avatar Image says:

Why is everybody talking about death threats? WB already said it wasn’t true. The story was written by the Sun, nuff said. If he doesn’t show up, who cares. it’s his choice. It would be considerate to show up since he is nominated but that’s his business. It’s also obvious that people thought Emma and Dan did a great job with their respective characters and decided to put them up for the nominations. They wouldn’t have if they didn’t think they deserved it. Both Dan and Emma won NMA’s, which means to me that people enjoy they way present their characters. The bashing on this site is pretty pathetic. Is it just so impossible to be happy for them.

Avatar Image says:

“‘Made-for-television’ is an American concept because you have a thriving big movie industry, and presumably (I get the impression from the derogatory way the phrase is used) because your made-for-television stuff is not highly regarded. The UK is not the same as America. Our television dramas have a long reputation for excellence and our top stage actors are also the same people as our best TV drama actors; see Broadcasting Press nominations for proof.”

@anne, I completely agree. My introduction to Helen Mirren was with the “Prime Suspect” series on Masterpiece Theater here in the US. It is some of the very best drama I’ve seen anywhere.

Avatar Image says:

GO EMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! emma should seriously win!!!! And for whoever is saying emma doesn’t act good…ur seriously wrong!!!!! that’s the reason why i’m an emma fan..not just coz of her looks or her popularity but coz of her acting skills!!!!! Emma crying scenes are really good and look real….i mean i haven’t seen any other actress that can act as crying and make it look so natural!! I mean in that scene of keira in pride and prejudice where she’s crying because lydie escaped…that just looked so fake!!! Not to say that keira isn’t a good actress…she’s good…but emma is the BEST!!!

Avatar Image says:

The reason why i like hermione is coz of emma…and the reason why i like emma is coz of hermione!!!! EMMA AND HERMIONE FOREVER!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

i luv HP I sooooooooooooooo whish i could meet them But that would be like a fairytale i live in South Africa and are actually Afrikaans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I really hope Dan wins. He did a fantastic job and really carried the movie. Tupert and Emma had so little to do- I think Luna had more lines. Heh, i’m hoping for some jokes -i’m sure Dan must be a leetle wary of going onstage now…

Avatar Image says:

Anne, I did enjoy the BBC’s Pride & Prejudice miniseries starring Colin Firth so much and regard it as a “movie” more than anything else (moreso since I have it now on DVD). I wasn’t looking down at Ballet Shoes at all for being on television, as I enjoyed it just the same. I can, though, see the self-consciousness that Brit t.v. has over the American generalization of a television production’s value in contrast to the silver screen.

It just seems from reading other posts that either Emma hasn’t expanded her talents fast enough for other people’s tastes, (and I assumed that the comparison of theater and television work might be part of the culprit), or she really has a long way to go, or she just hasn’t been given enough credit for how far she has come.

Personally, I’m on the fence. She has her great moments, but I do feel she can do much better. Just like many normal people. Nonetheless, my opinion of her is no less because of that one detail. I can’t wait to see the pictures!

Avatar Image says:

Good for Emma. That she will present at the award also means that her win is almost in the bag. But I don’t think poor Dan is attending this event. The recent death threat is not easy to dismiss. Yah, yah, WB denied it but you can’t be too careful. Dan is their goldmine and they have to care for the goose that laid the golden egg. At least Emma is free enough to even announce that she’s attending this event. No exaggerated protection measures have to be undertaken for her.

Avatar Image says:

Emma is not a great actress but she’s going to win this Empire thing, mark my words. She still has to curb her tendency to exaggerate her facial expression and her voice too. She’s getting there but still no match for Keira Knightley and certainly not kate Blanchett. it would take more than a few roles for her to be a believable winner. At least Dan has proven himself with Equus and he has improved aeons in OotP, so if he wins, it’s not totally ridiculous. But Emma? eehh…

Avatar Image says:

I’m going to make a prediction too. Dan is going home tomorrow with the Empire Best Actor award. BUT, he’s not going to attend. The reason is not the death threat. That’s false. Just tabloid rumor. The real reason is that Dan got insider info that the host is a crappy comedian who’s got the hots for him and Danny Boy is afraid that he might be kissed again. lol rofl…

Write a Reply or Comment