Book Containing JKR Signature Helps Raise &£10,000 for UK Church

103

Apr 17, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

A church in Tutshill, Gloucestershire, England has raised £10,000 ($19,909) after a viewing of a Visitors’ Book containing the signature of Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling. ThisIsGloucestershire is reporting the money was raised during a fundraising launch where the book was on display. The book, which was featured in the 2007 ITV documentary “J. K. Rowling: A Year In the Life,” contains the signature of a 12 year-old Jo as well as a name for a character Jo revealed to have used in the novels.

The Reverend Royston Grosvenor of St Luke’s Church said of the auction: “The event went very well, we had a great response.” He went on to note that they also have a signed, first edition of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” which they are currently deciding whether to award as a prize or to hold another fundraiser. A brief glimpse at the book and Jo’s signature can be seen in the trailer for the documentary here in our Video Galleries.

16 Responses to Book Containing JKR Signature Helps Raise &£10,000 for UK Church

That’s great! :)

Yeah, first comment!

I was really curious about JKR’s writing when she was a child…

Avatar Image says:

That’s neat! Don’t really support the cause, but cool!

Avatar Image says:

ooooh i hope some one looks up that name!!

Avatar Image says:

Awh always good to see positive things coming from the Christian community :)

Avatar Image says:

The visitor book wasn’t sold, it was just on display.

Avatar Image says:

I saw the book on youtube in a new in a life of J.k. Rowling I saw her Signature..

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s a pity in a way, because I liked the idea of her name being in there, within a small forgotton church. It sort of seemed more… I don’t know.

Avatar Image says:

Omg, I have to swallow my words.

Roonwit, you’re right of course, it wasn’t sold. So let me rephrase: I think it’s nice in a way, her name being in there, within a small forgotten church… (Although I’ll bet it’s nowhere near forgotten now!)

Avatar Image says:

I think it is wrong that they make money off one of their past parishioners.

Avatar Image says:

just a video yahoo did on the tales of beedle the bard. dont know if this was posted yet, but just thought i would pass it on.

Avatar Image says:

It is fantastic that J.K. Rowling helped support this church, but hopefully seeing the signature wasn’t the cause for the donations.

Avatar Image says:

rococofied – it pretty much was the signature that sold all the money. But there’s all the memory and faith/hope that it holds that made it so valuable.

It’s amazing, JK R owling going back to the church and seeing her name, all those years ago. Back when she was not yet a superstar….wow….

It was also heartwarming when she went to visit her former home.

Anyone watch the real thing on TV???

Avatar Image says:

Wow, that’s amazing! But I wonder about the name of the character…Jo said it was a nasty character and she said, “hide the book, lock it away!” Now that’s definitely not happened,LOL, so I’m betting that name will be out pretty soon too! ;-)

Avatar Image says:

Anyone know if the documentary is available to view anywhere? I didn’t get to see it on TV.

Avatar Image says:

judeloren, go on the itv website, you can watch all old tv shows on the web there

Write a Reply or Comment