New Preview Clips from “My Boy Jack”

267

Apr 02, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As reported previously, “My Boy Jack,” starring actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) is due to be released on DVD here in the US on April 22. As such, Warner Bros has released some new video clips, previewing the movie which will also be broadcast on PBS television stations April 20th. My Boy Jack is a drama based on the true story of author Rudyard Kipling and his son. The DVD (already available in the UK, available for US pre-order here in our shop) will contain the film along with additional interviews of cast members Dan Radcliffe, Kim Cattrall and Daniel Haig, as well as some deleted scenes. In our galleries you can see some stills which have just been released as well. UPDATE: The following clips are now in our galleries, and you can see them via the following links:

A Long Goodbye:

• Quicktime
  • Windows Media
  • Rudyard’s Influence

• TLC Galleries
  • Quicktime
  • Windows Media

• 41 Responses to New Preview Clips from “My Boy Jack”

Avatar Image says:

I saw that on the tv a few months ago. It’s kinda sad…. but good if you like war films…

Avatar Image says:

I very much admire Daniel’c choices when it comes to his career, he is very bold and is becoming an excelent actor. Can’t wait to watch this movies, very interesting story.

I was wondering if they are going to broadcast Ballet Shoes… or at least release the dvd… I would like a chance to watch Emma Watson doing something other than Hermione.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Carol Carvalho…Daniel has made some great strides, for so young a career! I am looking very forward to seeing this film. I’ll need to go to my In-Law’s house, however, to see it :< Any idea what TIME it’s to be broadcast? I am not, necessarily a “war movie enthusiast” , but I believe it may be a good addition to my Historical Collection [Elizabeth R, Six Wives of Henry VIII, Gettysburg, Gods and Generals and Glory are my collection, at this time!] I would also like to know about ‘Ballet Shoes’...it just seems like an interesting film! [Also wish I lived in New York, but that’s a whole nother Quiddich Match] LOL

Avatar Image says:

@ Carol Carvalho…You should look for Ballet Shoes at YouTube… That’s where I watched it…You see I don’t live in the UK either… As for Dan, I admire him too for his choices and his efforts to be separated from Harry..(but he doesn’t look good with the moustache..).. Irrelevant but: Can’t wait for HBP!!

Avatar Image says:

I have seen that fim on tv in the easter. Didn’t see the end, but it was quite exiting

Avatar Image says:

Daniel looks like Jack Kipling with the moustache ,very handsome indeed and i am looking foward to seeing all of this film on tv. Dan has made some very good choices in his projects, i think he will continue to both be admirable and surprising in them, which is a good thing for any actor to do He has made a good start.

Avatar Image says:

This is such a sad, true story. Dan’s really taking the opportunity to branch out in various roles and I admire his determination and smart choices. I have to say his acting isn’t very striking in these clips, but maybe it comes together better in the entire movie. It’s nice to see him playing someone other than Harry. My husband and I thought he did a great job last year in Equus.

Avatar Image says:

December boys, My boy Jack, Driving lessons, Ballet shoes! I watched them all and I love them! Daniel, Emma and Rupert are very talented and I grow up with them,I’m the same age as they are and I’m a really big fan. I’ll always be by their side,even after HP.

My boy Jack is really thouching and sentimental film. I cried so hard on that scene-when a soldier comes to Jacks family to tell them he died! I loved the film!

Avatar Image says:

i saw the pictures and i must say dan looks VERY different with a mustche….hehe :]

Avatar Image says:

I saw this film and thought it was excellent. Dan’s part is quiet, but his character is determined and I think Dan did very well in it. Marie, the mother and children are somewhat overshadowed by Kipling and the three actors underplayed their scenes to underscore this.

It should be shown at 9 p.m. on April 20 on PBS (that’s when Masterpiece Theatre is on).

Avatar Image says:

The movie looks good from those clips. I have it marked on my calender. Confederate Lady -I it is on at 9:00 PM EST here in my area in Tampa Florida but you can go to PBS.org and look up your location. It should air when Materpiece Theatre airs. Also, I read that Ballet Shoes is going to be released sometime in the fall here in the US but I can’t remeber which website I saw it on so I am not sure if it is true or not.

Avatar Image says:

It’s generally a quite good movie. But, sad, I must admit that I cried, I mean; who wants to see things happening to Harry? And I think it was an interesting experiment, to place Kim Catrall as Dan’s mother, and she does it well! Quite surprising, considering the work she usually performs as sex-queen of the city.

Avatar Image says:

Who cares if he doesn’t look handsome with a moustache. Did you ever notice that those really atractive actors often aren’t the most talented or interesting ones. I’d choose a Jack Nicholson a over a Brad Pitt anyday.

AMEN to that, Redbeard! [Sean Connery looks pretty amazing too!]

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t call it a war film, more of a period drama with a war dimension. So don’t expect an ‘all guns blazing’ kind of film. It’s not like that at all.

I agree with bebe about the other characters being understated to contrast with Rudyard (who seemed to really like the sound of his own voice!). One reviewer said what made it so good was that the actors were quality enough not to have to speak all of the time.

I thought it was excellent, heartbreaking. I was awake for a long time after it finished thinking about the SPOILER (as if you didn’t know!) death scene SPOILER END, particularly considering the fact that it was based on a true story of someone Dan’s exact age. Kim Cattrell was excellent. I can’t speak more highly of her. I also loved the interaction between John (Jack) and his sister; they managed to give off a real brother and sister vibe together, which I thought very impressive considering how short those scenes were. Dan, as one reviewer put it, got across perfectly the clipped and stilted tone of an Edwardian middle class boy turning man and trying to live up to his ambitious father’s expectations.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not a big ‘war movie’ fan but since Dan is in it i’ll probably see it :)

Avatar Image says:

It was a very good film, slow profile meaning not a lot of people like in Harry Potter but it was very sentimental, emotional, family oriented ( parents wanting what they think is best for their children and want to live what they did not become through their children). I like the movies Dan acts in they are very good literature pieces with a lot of themes for day to day living and example to consider.

However, I do cried in scene while Dan’s character Jack died and how he died, it was really hard to take for me he was there looking for his glasses and no one to help him get them sometimes we have to all stand alone. And of course although I knew it was another film and character to me it was still harry potter and I cannot bear seeing anything happening to Harry Potter and even more to Dan.

God bless you always Dan, good work and long life.

Avatar Image says:

It is worth seeing and it’s good to see all the other actors in other roles. The story of Kipling reflects the feelings of other WWI poets, many of whom either died, were executed or unable to continue to write other prose sucessfully after the conflict.

kk WOW

I watched the clips.. and dan in the clip “rudyards influence” was AMAZING!! i kind of like him better in this setting than in harry potter!

Avatar Image says:

Oh My jesus!!! Wow Dan looks wierd with a mustache!!! LOL! But he has glasses here just like he does as harry. I havnt heard of this movie until now. I will have to check it out!!!

Avatar Image says:

I like him better as HP. For some reason, I cant get used to him w/o the thick round glasses….....o well

Live, Love, Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

Dan looks pretty fly with thats stache on!!! lol. I can’t wait for the 20th. I’m so going to see it. I’m excited. From what I saw, it looks pretty cool, and I like the way Dan portray’s his character. I think he does a good job.

Avatar Image says:

As one reporter says it, Dan is a wizard at choosing roles. He’s quite a talented young man and people sort of expected him to show us some undiscovered talent.. That’s why a many few were hooked on the many April fools’ joke about Dan. That he can sing ( HPnana) and dance (DR.com) professionally is not totally impossible. Looking forward to more from you Dan Rad!

Avatar Image says:

I loved Daniel Radcliffe and Carrie M as brother and sister. They had great chemistry.

I love when he comes in after SPOILER ALERT failing his air force exam and he goes for his smokes, lights it, and then she comes up from behind the couch and says “best beloved brother,” and he says “bird.” Then she asks “can I have a puff?” He hands it to her and then he pours them drinks and says “what shall we drink too?” And she smiles and replies , “to us.” They clink their glasses, he takes a drag and says “best beloved sister, and she says “best beloved brother.

Genius casting.

Kim Cattrall was also extremely moving when she SPOILER ALERT goes to Jack’s room, wraps herself in his jacket, and lies on his bead. I wept. Before that when he was leaving, I was so moved. I’ve always been a fan of her work on SEX, but I’m an even bigger fan now.

Saw this back in January (perks of being part of the Commonwealth, by living in Canada), and I was extremely moved. I’m heading straight for best buy when he comes out here.

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m definitely going to buy it if it’s out on DVD! Even though I’m not much into war movies, I think I’ll like it, considering the good reviews and the fact that Dan’s in it!

Avatar Image says:

The thing about seeing Dan in a mustache, is that we at least get to see him in a different way. The different uniforms and outfits go along with that, so i’m all happy. Heh, at least we fans get to see him doing different things!

Avatar Image says:

Dan is great, but the actor who plays the adult Rudyard Kipling also plays a very funny character in a British comedy sitcom called The Thin Blue Line (along with Rowan Atkinson – aka Mr Bean). So all through these scenes, I keep expecting him to burst out into his usual tirade about, “It’s all a load of namby-pampy, wishy-washy, fannying-about, pinko-liberal, psycho-social, claptrap cr*p!” – which kind of made it hard for me to take him seriously in this. LOL!

Avatar Image says:

I watched the film a few days ago, and I loved it (cried so much). Dan is so perfect for that role, and you do not think a second of Harry – as you didn’t in Equus or DB. Imho, he’s an amazingly talented actor, and his choices are simply fantastic. Way to go, Dan!

Avatar Image says:

It is a very good drama, and not just a “war film”, it just happens to be within the setting of WW1. Everybody involved is fantastic, and Daniel does a superb job. People should get over the fact that he looks different in the role and accept that he is an actor playing a part. I would definitely recommend it, but have to warn everyone, when me and my bf watched it last November (I’m in the UK) we were both crying our heads off by the end. It’s very sad and there are some very moving and poignant scenes. It also shows the futility of war, and it’s disturbing how young the soldiers were when they went to out to fight. Jack (played by Daniel) was 17 when he went and 18 when he died, the exact same age as Dan was when he made this drama.

Avatar Image says:

I saw this back in November. I was rather impressed by Dan’s performance. Also for the people who don’t like war films, it’s not!! The only bit of war you see is when they go over the top. It only lasts for like 5 minutes.

Avatar Image says:

Well done Dan u deserve it!!! But get a big head. My m8 used 2 fancy him!

Avatar Image says:

I would agree that this really isn’t a war film. It’s more of a family drama, with the father-son dynamic and wife-husband dynamic as the focus. There is a lot of tension underlying the family and the son trying to please the father is particularly poignant.

I actually really like seeing Dan outside of HP. I thought he was excellent in December Boys and in this. It’s not that I don’t like the HP movies. It’s just that I like smaller stuff where he has room to breathe outside of the world of blue screens and endless hype.

Avatar Image says:

Its a wonderful story, its very sad. Daniel make a good performance in this drama-war story. I cried a lot!!! Its had a very good message for all fathers.

Avatar Image says:

In the begining I didn’t expect much from Dan as an actor, but I’ve had to suck it up and admit, the guy can act. I think he was excellent My Boy Jack. They were right to take him up as Harry because, if I remember correctly, they thought he had a sort of thoughtful, almost haunting quality about him. He does! Just watching him in My Boy Jack, like when he prepares to leave for war and has a smoke with his Dad, made me all teary. I could just feel how proud the boy is at living up to his father’s expectations. Dan somehow manages to project what is going on in his characters hearts & heads. Don’t know how he does it. Loved him in December Boys too. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DAN!

Avatar Image says:

is that seriously kim cattrall??

Avatar Image says:

Can’t wait to get it. I truly believe Dan can and will do great things after Potter is finished.

Avatar Image says:

Alright, Dan….this should teach us all an important lesson. Never grow a cheesy mustache! It’s like the Earl Hickey mustache from my name is Earl. On another note, Im very glad that Dan is stepping outside of the wizarding world and doing roles he’s passionate about.

Avatar Image says:

Just so you know Leaky, the link to the cauldron shop doesn’t work

Avatar Image says:

Its a really impressive drama. People should definitely check it out. Its fantastic that Dan is taking (and being selected for) such good roles. Hopefully Emma and Rupert will take on such demanding roles.

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who thinks its weird of seeing Dan in an other role then Harry Potter the first few seconds??? And he does look weird with a mustache hihi :-) (I’m not the only one thinking that lol)

Avatar Image says:

For those in the U.S “My Boy Jack” might be known as Masterpiece Theater.If you can’t find it

Write a Reply or Comment