“Deathly Hallows” Receives Andre Norton Award at 2008 Nebula Awards

115

Apr 29, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

A follow up today as the seventh book, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” won the 2008 Andre Norton Award at the Annual Nebula Awards Ceremony which took place in Austin, Texas this past weekend. As we first told you previously, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America’s Nebula Awards had nominated the seventh book in author J. K. Rowling’s series in this category which recognizes ‘outstanding science fiction and fantasy novels that are written for the young adult market.’ The SFWA awards honors to novels, novellas, novelettes, scripts, and short stories that their voters have named the best of the year.

Many congratulations Jo!

27 Responses to “Deathly Hallows” Receives Andre Norton Award at 2008 Nebula Awards

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! I hope it wins every award it can! Go JKR!

Avatar Image says:

The award could not have gone to a better, more worthy book! Jo Rowling, once again, shows her eloquence and I, too, hope it wins every award it can! JKR is a phenom!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know about you all, but I feel so proud. But like really proud! congrats Jo!

Avatar Image says:

One of the highest honors in the genre, and I can’t think of any other book this year in the YA category that deserves it more, and I’m not just saying that as a fan. I’m actually saying this as a literary expert. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”, as a book unto itself (and you must look at it that way), was excellently written and displays enough literary art to solidify its place in literary history for years to come. The highest congrats to J.K. Rowling.

Avatar Image says:

Great. Glad Deathly Hallows got an award. Deserves it.

But c’mon, where’s the interesting news lately? Sure, the RDR vs. WB/J.K. Rowling case is something to read up on; great, Half Blood Prince is still being worked on; fantastic, Deathly Hallows has won an important, outstanding award. But where is the magic of Harry Potter news anymore? Not at all blaming Leaky, that would be ridiculous. Leaky reports the news they find. But there just doesn’t seem to be that much news anymore!!! I want to hear thing that’ll bring up speculation but not end up making everyone sad like the Lexicon case is doing. I want to hear news that makes me go, “Oh, yeah, this fandom is totally worth the hours of time I spend on it!” I just don’t feel that anymore.

I wish something would appear in the news that is interesting, fun, and gets everyone excited like no one seems to be anymore.

Sorry for the rant.

Jenny

Avatar Image says: I know what you mean, Jenny. The thing is that Jo is done writing. So there aren’t any more leaks about plot or anything to stir people up. There’s movie news, but at most it’s a casting news or otherwise a leak about something that will or won’t be in the film. And that sort of news I don’t really want. Jo-controlled plot leaks about upcoming books is one thing, because we can speculate about something no one knows, but film plot leaks don’t stir up speculation for anyone who has read the books. So it’s just a sad part of the way things are now.Avatar Image says:

Fantastic!!! Go HP!

Avatar Image says:

And yet another win goes to Jo and Harry. I would expect nothing less of the best author in the world and of her books. I must say, I am a bit bias…..

Live, Love, Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but what the heck happened to Pottercast 149? I saw its news post last night then it disapeared and it’s not up or anything… What happened?

@ Felipe

I’ve been wondering what’s happened to PotterCast this week as well, although I didn’t see it go up last night like you did. Hmm, I wonder what’s going on?

/off-topic

Avatar Image says:

Straaaange…. (about PotterCast #149) ..... Anyways, Go Jo! and HP rocks Planet Earth and the Universe! Of course it’s a winner!

Avatar Image says:

I really liked Deathly Hallows. Congratulations to Jo, it is one of the highest honors! She’s in good company, Orson Scott Card has won this in the past, too.

Avatar Image says:

Now that is one grand award to win. Sometimes, I had wonder if HP books are winning awards because of its large fan base shamelessly multi clicking on the online votes etc but this highly prestigious award confirms what most of us suspected…that Deathly Hallows is brilliant! he he. I am assuming that this is voted by a panel of judges, though, right?

And strange indeed about PotterCast #149…the plot thickens…mmm….You know, I think we are so hard up for an intriguing story, arent we? Jo, write another book now before we get delirious and believe in an imminent alien invasion, or something…

Avatar Image says:

“Jo, write another book now before we get delirious and believe in an imminent alien invasion, or something…” Posted by Professor Potter

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! It’s so funny cuz it’s So true! ROFL!!

Aww. Congrats DH & JKR (:

Avatar Image says:

You know, Jenny, I’m thinking about what you are saying and upon reflection, I would have to strongly disagree! Everyday (almost), I come onto Leaky and I always find more than 1 latest news item. The Harry Potter books have now reached an end almost a year ago. Only the films, and a theme park remain in our anticipation and they are no where near the level of anticipation that the books had. In all honesty, I would have imagined the HP fever to have simmered by now and certainly never expected new HP news EVERYDAY! So I am, in fact, flabbergasted that we do. I still feel that delicious HP vibe each day I come on this site, and we get all sorts of news, from stuff about, Jo, the books, HP actors and film crew, film news, books being published in other countries, actors expressing their views on the books, court case action, JK rowling in supreme counter attacks on a cross-examining lawyer, WEEKLY Pottercasts, contests, and so much more. I dont know about other fan sites but I think here at Leaky, we as one big happy family are being spoilt for news, if anything! Counter rant, over ;)

Avatar Image says:

I’m Saria, and I approve of Professor Potter’s message.

(Er, sorry, been watching too many political ads lately.)

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Professor Potter (Not to gang up on Jenny or anything of the sort)... It’s amazing the dedication of Leaky’s staff in bringing us even the smallest piece of news related to the HP world. Going further off-topic, I am a fan of the Inheritance Trilogy, Cycle or whatever its called now-a-days (you know, Eragon, Eldest, Brisngr, and 4th untitled book), and all the fan websites both in English and Spanish are so dead even with the third book coming out in a couple of months, it’s frustrating… I am very appreciative of Jo Rowling, Leaky and the entire HP fandom because we are so hardcore that HP will NEVER go away and we’re all so passionate that I know I can come every day to Leaky and find something new to keep me updated. Thanks Leaky and everybody!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm. I want to know about the phantom PotterCast. What happened? Did it have to be re-recorded to change the content? I wish someone would have nabbed a download before it was taken down.

Yep, Prof. Potter, definitely hard up for some intrigue.

WTG! JKR you deserve it!

Avatar Image says:

WHOOP WHOOP! Good Job Jo! YES!

Avatar Image says:

YAY! first on the page !

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic news! Was there ever any one else who should win? :)

As for the news or lack thereof in some people's view, I am appalled that there even has to be news about the JKR vs RDR thing.  Shouldn't have happened in the first place, IMO.  I will gladly take the "lighter" side of the news any day over the negativity.  I just finished re-reading HBP for the umpteenth time and it has just made me more excited about the film!  Any news at all about the upcoming film is MORE THAN welcome!
Avatar Image says:

well done jo!!!!!!!! you really deserve it ‘deathly hallows’ is absolutely amazing!!!!!!! x

Avatar Image says:

The victory is the sweeter because there were some really, really good books up for the Norton Award this year. The True Meaning of Smek Day was on the ballot, and Into the Wild, by Sarah Beth Durst, who showed up in person. She is totally cute! Matt Duarte, the son of the convention chair, accepted for Rowling. Oh, and the emcee was John Moore, who wrote my favorite funny fantasy of all time, Heroics for Beginners. And then after the award ceremony all the big name writers went downstairs and shot pool with the guests!

Avatar Image says:

Do you think that JK will totally snub the Norton Award this year like she did when Goblet of Fire won the Hugo award? From what I understand, she didn’t even acknowledge that she won the Hugo and even went on to say that she hadn’t won any adult awards.

I’m a fan, but that seemed like a pretty classless thing to do and I wouldn’t be surprised if she did the same thing with the Norton.

Avatar Image says: I think it was an insult to Hugo Gernsback to give the Hugo to any Harry Potter book. Have the people involved with that award forgotten what science fiction is? psik

Write a Reply or Comment