J.K. Rowling Named Author of the Year at Children’s Choice Book Awards

May 14, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Back in March, we told you Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling had been nominated for a National Children’s Choice Book Award. Last night in New York City, these awards were presented, with J.K. Rowling named “Author of the Year,” for her work on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The press release notes that “children across the country voted for their favorite books, author, and illustrator at bookstores, school libraries, and at www.BookWeekOnline.com. Close to 55,000 votes were received. The Children’s Choice Book Awards program was created to provide young readers with an opportunity to voice their opinions about the books being written for them and to help develop a reading list that will motivate children to read. The program is a new component of Children’s Book Week, the longest running literacy event in the country.”

As reported previously, these awards were presented as part of Children’s Book Week, sponsored by the Children’s Book Council. Congratulations Jo!

49 Responses to J.K. Rowling Named Author of the Year at Children’s Choice Book Awards

CONGRATULATIONS Jo!!!!!

Deathly Hallows is one of my all-time favorites. I guess I must still be a kid at heart!

Avatar Image says:

CONGRATS Jo!! Although DH is not my favorite for the simple fact its the last, it is an excellent book and a wonderful series. Well deserved.

Wowowowowowowow! wacky wooo

Avatar Image says:

Her wonderful imagination has given so much to the children (and adults) of this world. Not only the wonderful story of Harry and the Wizarding World, but all the very generous donations she has made to the needy of the world.

Jo deserves any and all recognition and awards that she receives … and of course our undying admiration and gratitude!

Avatar Image says:

Way to go JO!!!! you deserve it, although Jo is not strictly an author of childrens books now as she has done what J.R.R. Tolkien did before her and that is to take a children’s book ( The Hobbit) and in its sequels blossom it into a seriesof books enjoyed by people of all ages

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to Mrs. Rowling for earning this marvelous award! She truly deserves this recognition.

Avatar Image says:

Ah. that’s amazing. Jo rocks…. and totally deserves this award. congraaaattts x 10^ 10000

Avatar Image says:

Congradulations Jo!! Squee! That’s a great award, afterall the fans are the ones to choose the winner! yeah for Jo again!!

Avatar Image says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself, Florence!

Avatar Image says:

Adding to the general joy and congratulations to the most creative and wonderful writer of our time….Anyone who can get children to read deserves not only accolades and awards, but a place in history…[which I’m sure she will always have!] and a deserved place in our hearts! Congratulations, Ms Rowling…..you’re one in a million!

Avatar Image says:

congrats jo!!!!!!!!! Deathly Hallows is my favorite and I’ll always be a kid at heart :)

Avatar Image says:

Congrats, Jo! You deserve this award completely because you are the AUTHOR OF THE YEAR. Wooh. :]

WOW!! thats VERY prestigious

congrats, JO!

Avatar Image says:

This should be the last year because she has written anything since! Yawn…

Avatar Image says:

If anyone agrees with my last comment, please speak up! Oh and, great job Jo! You REALLY deserve that recognition to your contributions to literature!

Avatar Image says:

CONGRATZ JO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its awesome, and of course she deserves it sooooooo much! This is awesome!

Avatar Image says:

And why I am I not suprised?! :) Congrats Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Go Jo! Great job! You deserve it!

Avatar Image says:

GO JO! GO JO! GO JO! WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

Congrats! i never ever doubted it wouldnt be you!

YOU ARE THE BESTEST! (grammar error on purpose)

Live, Love,Harry Potter & Jo!

New format is much better! Yaay! :D

We love you, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations! That is wonderful!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, I see where you’re coming from & I understand. I’m also trying to be nice & kind, but you do sound like a hippiecrit…You know that, right? Because you’re attaking Ethan.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I´m not surprised though. She got voted because the lack of an other writer. By default.

Had to be her! GO JO!!

And agree with Ethan and Ava, why do people come to a fansight to talk rubbish about the person for whom the site is made. I mean, seriousely, get a life!

Avatar Image says:

Did he/she personality attack Ethan? No! If Ethan just posted once, I would have had no problem with it. But then he had to be mean, and encourage other people to be attack he/she. I’ve seen people say a lot worst also! BE NICE!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

With Regard to kitkat, my response is to everyone who responded. It’s the same response I got when I was on another fan site for Harry Potter, and someone came in with a negative comment.

“Don’t feed the troll”

And to Jo….

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

@Ethan,

I understand what you’re saying too. Yes, it is VERY HARD to ignore these people, especially when they attack Jo Rowing, but the best response is no response. Karen is right – “don’t feed the troll”.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, this is my last comment, because I don’t want to “Feed The Troll” either. Michelle Breeze: Just to make myself clear (Because you obviously didn’t understand what I was saying) YOU’RE attacking Ethan, not KitKat. YOU’RE being a hypocrite, not KitKat… Do you understand? You’re talking about how “Mean” everyone is, but you’re doing the exact same thing. With saying that, I take my leave…

Oops, I forgot one little thing: CONGRATS JO!

Avatar Image says:

Okay guys, didn’t mean to start a war here, so everybody calm down and calm down Michelle Breeze because there isn’t a need to go lashing out at everyone for my annoyance at kitkat. But, to those of you who think I go out and yell at random people for having a different opinion than me, I don’t. I’ve seen kitkat’s comments quite a few times and I’m sick of not voicing my opinion! So Michelle Breeze, don’t have a go at me because of my disagreement, but you are entitled to your opinion. Everyone calm down. Thanks for whoever supports me in this, and I respect the people who disagree, but please tone down the language.

Avatar Image says:

I am just defending someone who is getting bullied! How is that being mean?? I agree with Kitkat, I’m kind of mad at Rowling too…but I would never say anything because you have people attack you! See you later, I’m going to Mugglenet!

Avatar Image says:

That seems a bit rude. I’m a bully now, eh? Funny how these things turn out, really. Thank you for that, Michelle Breeze, really the highlight of my day. Now can we all go back to being civil now?

Avatar Image says:

Michelle Breeze, calm down. He just said what he felt. Get over it. I’ve seen his comments before and this is the only real anger and hostility from him that I’ve seen. He can’t have expected this many people to respond.

Avatar Image says:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! You guys are so funny! Oh and Ethan is it? Don’t worry about a thing, I will still be posting!!!

Avatar Image says:

Yah, kitkat it is Ethan. That’s great. See what happens when I open my mouth! I made 2 comments and this happens. No more open hostile comments, at least for now. Good luck in your comments. Goodnight, I’m done.

Avatar Image says:

This should be the last year because she has written anything since! Yawn… Posted by kitkat on May 14, 2008 @ 03:45 PM

Not you again Kitkat! Come on, she has been busy with the VanderArk trial and the Scottish book! Now get off Leaky Cauldron, if all you want to do is abuse Jo! What kind of a schmuck comes to a site just to insult the person/series the site is dedicated too. I said this before! LEAVE JKR AND THE HP BOOKS ALONE! Posted by Ethan on May 14, 2008 @ 04:09 PM

I totally agree with you, Ethan: It doesn’t make any sense, at all,why someone would go on a fan site if they’re not a fan! Kitkat, you’re simply wasting your time, so would you stop bashing Jo!? Congrats, Jo! You deserve it! Posted by Ava on May 14, 2008 @ 04:29 PM

Thanks a lot Ava . I just have seen him/her make comments like this before and I keep telling him/her to shut it! It makes no sense why he/she would keep coming back to insult Jo! Posted by Ethan on May 14, 2008 @ 04:36 PM

@ kitkat – What did you expect? Five hundred million more novels from Jo? She’s obviously been busy with the trial and all that. How do you expect her to write a novel already? Just be quiet already, or leave, because we don’t want anyone on here saying stupid comments about Jo. Posted by Christine on May 14, 2008 @ 04:48 PM Ethan, I agree that Leaky does get some absurd comments from people who are happiest when they are bashing Jo Rowling or one of the HP actors. It seems to be a way (maybe the only way) for them to get attention. As hard as it is sometimes, the best way to deal with these people is to ignore them! Posted by Matt’s Girl on May 14, 2008 @ 04:55 PM

Christine,Matt’s Girl thanks for your support. Matt’s Girl, I’ve seen him/her do this a couple times before and although I think ignoring him would be the good and sensible way to handle this, I can’t go by letting him/her be so disrespectful and say nothing! Jo doesn’t need some one insulting her on this site! Posted by Ethan on May 14, 2008 @ 05:01 PM Ethan: yes, I saw KitKat’s comments before too… I personally think KitKat needs to get a life… (I might have already said that, I don’t remember…) Perhaps Matt’s Girl is right, Maybe He/She just doesn’t get attention otherwise… We love you, Jo! Posted by Ava on May 14, 2008 @ 07:46 PM

Shut the hell up Ethan!!!!! She/He can say whatever they want!!! Leaky doesn’t mind, why do you? It’s not like she/he posted 30 times, they posted once and if you don’t like ignore it!!!! Posted by Michelle Breeze on May 15, 2008 @ 12:16 AM

Michelle Breeze: chill-out, will ya?! & No, he/she didn’t comment 30 times…On this subject, that is. He/she has done this on other subjects, too… However, I do see where you’re coming from, people do have the right to speak there mind. But let me ask you this: If KitKat can speak his/her mind, why can’t Ethan? Posted by Ava on May 15, 2008 @ 12:37 AM

I don’t like it when people attack other people because they don’t agree with them!!! Posted by Michelle Breeze on May 15, 2008 @ 12:49 AM

Well ….........one remark that did not declair complete worship and about 14 reactions falling over it or over each other. And actually contrubuting nothing more substantial then: “when you don’t worship JKR you are not a fan and have no right to be here or to speak.” There is something of a difference between having a critical mind and being a troll. But those with little imagination and narrow minds obvious never heard about that. But that is the strong point of this site: sharp on the gossip and sharp of tongue.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, I know I said I wouldn’t comment again, but this has gotten out of hand! Kamion: It’s not that we think anyone you doesn’t “Worship” JKR shouldn’t go on fan sites. Ethan & I were simply talking about how silly it seems to be on a fan site if you’re not a fan… If truth be told: It’s kinda fun to battle it out with KitKat, & I’m sure he/she feels the same way, because it’s just clean fun & doesn’t really mean anything. But then ‘Michelle Breeze’ started posting & it started getting annoying. She started being hypacritical, which I pointed out (& Which you left out of your post, Kamion. You actually only reposted the most vicious comments.) We all have deferent views, which is (I think) a good thing…

“Thank you” to everyone you supports me & I Respect everyone you doesn’t.

Avatar Image says:

A new day and a 3 day argument started by me continues. Wow. Can’t believe it got so fun and out of hand. You know, this really got amusing! I keep checking in to see the news. I still can’t believe that this is my fault! This has been fun, and it has been weird too. It was mainly, I think, Ava, and I vs. Michelle Breeze and kitkat(who didn’t even know this was going on). many people mixed into this and this escalated into a Potter fan-war! So, on that note I think we need to move on and respectfully RESUME OUR NORMAL POTTER FAN-FICTION!!! This was fun but this is too much, plus I started it and can’t stop it now! Thanks for your support Ava, and thanks to all you who contributed to both sides of this “war”. I hope you all had fun looking at the affects of words. kitkat, I hope you are as amused as me about how big this got. I didn’t like us turning on each other but we all have to admit it was fun for a while!

Avatar Image says:

Cheers! You’re welcome, Ethan!

Avatar Image says: Автор, а скажите а куда написать по поводу обмена ссылок (на какое мыло)?

Write a Reply or Comment