Jo’s Book Nook Opens Reading of “The Subtle Knife” on Leaky Lounge

124

May 19, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Our Leaky Lounge is buzzing once again as the start of the latest book club reading has just begun in the Jo’s Book Nook forums. Our Non-Harry Potter Book Club will be reading “The Subtle Knife” by Philip Pullman, the second book in the His Dark Materials Trilogy. Discussions on this book are open to all Leaky Lounge members who wish to join in and talk about the novel with their fellow readers. Those interested are welcome to jump into the reading group ” right here. Our Cauldron Shop also has this book available for purchase via this link. Enjoy!

28 Responses to Jo’s Book Nook Opens Reading of “The Subtle Knife” on Leaky Lounge

Avatar Image says:

what a coincidence I’m right in the middle of reading it :P

Avatar Image says:

Seriously? I just finished it a few hours ago myself. Fancy that.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve just finished the audio book for the fourth time. It gets better every time. If you haven’t experienced the audio books, I highly recommend them. Unlike most audio books (the Harry Potter series included) these are performed with a full cast of actors and author Philip Pullman himself serves as narrator. They are addicting to listen to.

Other than HP, the HDM trilogy is my favorite series ever. Great book =D

Though the audio books sound wonderful, I’ll have to pick them up!

Avatar Image says:

Ravenclaw, does it also have music which often adds a great deal to the experience? I love listening to audiobooks too but it really depends on the voices.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I love HDM! Wow, Ravenclaw, I’ll definitely have to check out the audio books!

Avatar Image says:

Pity they ruined the HDM as a movie experience. They totally shied away from the edginess of the books thus ruining the narrative sturcture. It looks like the franchise ends with Golden Compass due to poor box office.

Avatar Image says:

Love the Subtle Knife, Ravenclaw I’ve been contemplating buying the audiobook on itunes the past week and now you’ve just convinced me

Avatar Image says:

I don’t care for “His dark materials” I saw The Golden Compass movie and tried to read the book but I couldn’t get into it.

Avatar Image says:

Well I did manage to finish the Golden compass, i couldn’t get into the Subtle Knife, I am half way through it and every once in a while pick it up and read a few sentences and put it back down because its…frustrating to get through I guess…I found that while Golden compass is a little disturbing, it did hold my attention, and the Subtle Knife just isn’t doing that…but if other people can get into it, good for you guys.

Avatar Image says:

I really like this trilogy, but after the first few pages it was already very clear to me that pullman just doesn’t have rowling’s writing skills. But still good books!

Avatar Image says:

good book good series but for me it falls into the catergory of books that ill only ready once as it failed to entrance me like the hp books, LOTR and The HObbit and even the Eragon series have, have not seen the movie yet though

Avatar Image says:

The HDM audio books do have some music, mostly at the beginning of chapters. The Amber Spyglass does some sound effects as well. I think by the time they got to the third book, they were starting to really have fun with it.

Kitkat, I recommend the audio books especially for you. Listening to the book makes it harder “to put it down” in comparison to a book. If you want to continue in the series that might be an easier way to go.

The voice actors are terrific for the series and Philip Pullman has a wonderful speaking voice. You’d think he did voicework for a living.

I too was shocked at where they ended the movie of the Golden Compass. It made no sense. The director said that he didn’t want to end the film on a downer…though those scenes were seen in the trailer. So they have been filmed. I bought my wife a T-Shirt that says it all: Never judge a book by it’s movie”

@ Ravenclaw from Glenn

The end of the movie is cut off to be put at the start of the next movie, that’s what I read.

Avatar Image says:

All three books were good but particually the first one. They are interesting and unusual and definately worth reading. I wouldnt say Rowling was better then Pullman but I do think they are very different writers. The HP books are funnier! My least favourite was the third book but it did have some great moments!

Avatar Image says:

Hey! I like this layout a lot better!

Avatar Image says:

Lol that is a great t-shirt Ravenclaw from Glenn!

I love the HDM trilogy, although The Subtle Knife is probably my least favourite from the series. I will definitely check out the reading group later as I enjoyed discussing Northern Lights/The Golden Compass.

Avatar Image says:

I enjoyed reading the HDM trilogy. I loved the whole daemon theme. It was fascinating. “The Golden Compass” is my favorite in the series. I think “The Amber Spyglass” is a real thriller, but “The Subtle Knife” was less exciting to me.

Pullman’s treatment of “the church” is absolutely blistering. Is Laura Mallory familiar with HDM? I wonder how she would react. Oh, not really. I think I already know.

Avatar Image says:

i really enjoy hdm, too. i think pullman’s character development actually surpasses rowling’s, but i don’t find nearly as much subtle humor in pullman’s writing. two different styles, they needn’t be compared, really. but i must say, i loved ‘the subtle knife’... it sounds like a lot of people thought it was boring, but i couldn’t put it down…

Avatar Image says:

“The Golden Compass,” while it wasn’t a success in the States, made $300 million worldwide, so the chances are actually very good that the sequels will be produced. When is the question. A screenplay’s been written, but no director’s attached. It would be a shame to wait too long, because I thought Dakota Blue Richards was perfection as Lyra. Personally I thought the film was terrific, very well realized and entertaining, can’t really understand all the negative reaction.

Avatar Image says:

I already read all the HDM books and thought they were pretty amazing! Actually, my least favorite was Golden Compass, I enjoyed The Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass much, much more…it’s a shame there will probably be no more movies, New Line said that most of the sets they used in GC have already been destroyed and that the possibilities of making the sequels are pretty low :( it’s sad, I was really looking forward to it!

Avatar Image says:

Is this the book they kill god in the last volume?

Avatar Image says:

Neat. I read all three books a month or so ago. Well done. A little ‘deus ex machina’ , and a heartbreaking ending to the trilogy. (sniff)

OMT

Avatar Image says:

The ending of GC was left off so as to be the beginning of the Subtle Knife according to the director, but that makes as much sense as cutting the Sorcerer’s Stone movie as soon as Harry defeats Quirrell and starting Chamber of Secrets where Harry and Dumbledore are talking in the Hospital Wing.

The Subtle Knife is listed as “In Development” for release in 2009 on IMDB though that’s no guarantee of release date.

Avatar Image says:

The Subtle Knife… a most excellent book! I’d call it a good choice for Leaky Lounge, but I think most people here have already read it.

I just read The Subtle Knife for the 8th time ( no kidding, and i’m 9

Avatar Image says:

I just read The Subtle Knife for the 8th time ( no kidding, and i’m 9 years old) I also ADORE the HP books ( I’m also American)

Avatar Image says: BiEwxU