Actor Daniel Craig Buys Uncorrected Harry Potter Proof at British Movie Auction

115

Jun 18, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Previously we told you of the Great British Movie auction that was to include several rare props from the Harry Potter films as well as a uncorrected proof of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J.K. Rowling. That event was held in London, with James Bond actor Daniel Craig the new owner of this rare proof. The Guardian reports that the bidding for this Harry Potter copy was actually between actor Hugh Grant (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Bridget Jones) and Daniel Craig (Casino Royale), with the paper noting:

“The bidding for the Potter proof escalated into some serious splashing of cash, as Grant stepped in at £11,000, only to be joined by Bond man Craig. As diners held their breath the two were locked in a bidding tussle until it was knocked down to Craig, at a princely £18,000. The auction was conducted by Lord Dalmeny, deputy chairman of Sotheby’s UK, with such panache that several directors were said to be eyeing him up for a character role.”

Photos of this event, attended by actor Alan Rickman (Professor Snape), “Goblet of Fire” director Mike Newell, and Potter producer David Barron can be seen here via WENN,with photos of actor Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid) here via Getty, along with others such as Hugh Grant and Daniel Craig. Proceeds from this auction will benefit the National Film and Television School, the same school that OotP and HBP director David Yates attended.

33 Responses to Actor Daniel Craig Buys Uncorrected Harry Potter Proof at British Movie Auction

Avatar Image says:

Daniel Craig is a great actor. He is SO LUCKY!!!!!!! I wish I could at least see that proof! Lucky!

I KNOW!!!! I WISH I COULD SEE IT!!!! Lucky Him… mutters Darkly

Avatar Image says:

That’s a lot of money though, A LOT of money. Oh, and First!

Avatar Image says:

Well… That’s cool. It would be better to see her uncensored notes, but I guess we’ll have to wait for the Scottish book for that.

And I’m sorta getting tired waiting for the teaser, though at least I have the best game in the whole world holding me over (Metal Gear Solid 4) so one of my two obsessions is sated. Hurry up, WB, and sate the other.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome – 18 000 is A LOT of money! I didn’t know Daniel Craig was a HP fan though, that’s real cool.

Avatar Image says:

Well. That makes him just about a thousand times hotter.

Avatar Image says:

Excellent!,I was not aware Daniel Craig is a fan! That is wonderful,he is a terrific actor,and would love to see him IN a HP film ,also. Glad he got it instead of Grant.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, Daniel Craig? That’s really interesting! Though Hugh Grant? That makes me laugh xD

Avatar Image says:

Bond buy Potter! That is just class!

Avatar Image says:

Wow… that’s cool. would love to see it. Um… who was that Barbara Broccolli person? She seemed to be pictured on everyones lap at one time or the other. Made me laugh.

unrelated ps: why is everyone so upset that we havent seen a trailor yet? I mean, I know that we all want to see it (me too!), but is it really late? The movie is still 5 months away. I’ve been to the movies several times so far this summer, and every preview I’ve seen has been for more summer movies. Only one was not a summer release: it was a Brad Pitt film, releasing in December. I guess I didnt expect we would see one until July/August.

@ Ethan

Daniel Craig ain’t lucky, he’s RICH! ;-)

Avatar Image says:

barbara broccoli bond girl and its albert r broccoli who started up the bond films

Avatar Image says:

Fun fun! That was definitely a good investment move. When in doubt on what’s worth money, go with the name you know is bank.

Avatar Image says:

forgice my ignorance…but what exactly IS a ‘proof’?

Avatar Image says:

Good on both Craig and Grant. Doing there bit for charity – i love the idea of competition there!

Avatar Image says:

A ‘proof’ is a draft of a book that’s been mocked up with a cover, used for advertising or promotions, so that the publisher and the author can “see” what a book will look like before it goes to print. You check the fonts, etc, to see that they all are the same, check for colors on the cover, and such.

Great article about wizard rock here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080618/ap_en_mu/music_wizard_rock

Avatar Image says:

Hehe, I love that it was between Hugh and Daniel. I love me some Daniel, and if this is the closest we’ll get him to anything HP-related, I’m happy. XD

Avatar Image says:

Barbara Brocolli isn’t a Bond girl she’s the producer its thanks to her we have Mr Craig as the new bond! God bless her and HOW LUCKY is she, she won a bid to be snogged by BOTH Hugh Grant and Daniel Craig… unbelievable! Anyway can anyone think of a possible role for Craig in HP… anything? I wana start the petition now to get that man in the series

Avatar Image says:

um…i would have rather seen Hugh Grant buy it. He was almost cast was Gilderoy Lockhart in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I hate Daniel Craig! Daniel Craig is such a bad actor, it’s not even funny

Avatar Image says:

um…i would have rather seen Hugh Grant buy it. He was almost cast as Gilderoy Lockhart in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I hate Daniel Craig! Daniel Craig is such a bad actor, it’s not even funny

Avatar Image says:

I’d love to see Daniel Craig in DH. Like as Yaxley maybe.

Avatar Image says:

Ali, Daniel Craig is not a bad actor, if you actually had any idea of the previous work he has done (Our Friends in the North, Some Voices, Munich) then you would realise this. But you’ve probably never heard of those. And Hugh Grant wasn’t nearly Lockhart, that was just a rumour.

Avatar Image says:

sorry.. but could someone tell me how much that is in American dollars? thanks!

Avatar Image says:

It’s cool to see that Hugh is actually a fan of harry potter…or well it seems that way…considering he was meant to be in the movies and you hope all those lucky ppl in it love it/appreciate it…and the amount of money hugh was proposing may seem like he does.

Shame coz now i feel bad knowing he probably wanted to be in the movie but couldn’t.

That’s COOL!

Avatar Image says:

The bidding stuff is all fun, but ah, if I read the Guardian article correctly, not only did Barbara Broccoli snog Hugh Grant and Daniel Craig, much more importantly, she snogged ROBBIE COLTRANE!! That’s too BRILLIANT!! Definitely, should have been the lead part of TLC’s story!

Avatar Image says:

Really cool news, maybe he could be Grindlewald or Xeno Lovegood???

DONT WORRY ABOUT THE TRAILER!!! Quantum of solace (new bond film) also doesnt have a trailer yet, and its also coming out in november and that movie doesn’t need nearly the amount of CGI HBP will need…

Avatar Image says:

I love Daniel Craig in My opinion he is the best James Bond yet. Yes I know the boy HP fans are all going to come after me now saying and screaming ” Sean Connery” but I think he is. I also think he is very handsome. Did anyone notice that Alan made a rare appearance at a Harry Potter event or is it just my imagination? Maybe he had “fun” with all his extra screen time and now he is happier to talk about it or be seen in the prescence of HP stuff. Did I say talk about HP, oops! my mistake- He never talks about his character ” before you go anyfurther, I never ever talk about that character”. Yes I can quote the man, Snape and being himself. Scarey isnt it. ” Then I suggest you take EXTRA CARE Mr. Potter , Loss of limb! will not excuse you, page 394!” ” you want to be careful people might think your…up to something?”

Avatar Image says:

Oh joy! I think some of you will have already guessed this, so I think it’s safe to say now:

One of those people mentioned in this article is going to be involved in HBP & another in DH 1.

I won’t guarantee that all of any of their scenes will make the final cut, but right now, it looks good!

Hi T-Vey,

18,000 British pounds is somewhere between 35,000 and 36,000 US dollars.

Avatar Image says:

Wow ! It’s nice to know that other actors are also major harry potter fans because no small fan would spend so much ! lol , can you imagine them (hugh grant and daniel craig) waiting in line for the 7th harry potter book to come out last year ? hahaha !

Avatar Image says:

Well … I bet Daniel Craig pre-ordered his copy of HP7 online. He’s nifty like that ;)

Avatar Image says:

What exactly is an Uncorrecterd Proof. How would anyone know?

Write a Reply or Comment