Followup: More on New Harry Potter Mini-Movie Rumor for Theme Park

123

Jun 18, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

A few days ago we told you about the latest report from UK tabloid the Sunday Mirror that said author J.K. Rowling had written “a brand-new Harry Potter story which is being turned into a mini-movie” that will star the trio of Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint. This film would be played at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the “theme park within a theme park” at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida that is set to open late 2009 or 2010. As this report has yet to be confirmed and remains in the rumor category for the time being, today Shawn Adler, author of the MTV movie blog, has a rather interesting piece online regarding this report and his thinking this may indeed be true. In the article, he says he was able to get a statement from folks at Universal who said “We’re working hard to make the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort an exciting and authentic experience for our guests ” but we’re not ready to talk about its development.”

While this statement neither specifically denies nor confirms the report about this possible mini-movie, Mr. Adler continues on with these interesting thoughts:

I’m guessing this story is somewhat real.

First, the statement from Universal is patently untrue. Here’s an example of the very same people who told me they weren’t going to talk about the park, talking about the park ” on the Universal homepage no less. They have a FAQ and you can even sign up for email updates.

Secondly, and we’re in real “murky marshes” here, the feeling I got from talking on the phone with reps was that something WAS going on, and that they were trying to figure out how best to spin it. I had more than one conversation end with the person I was speaking with promise to send me “information.” Not a statement, not confirmation or a denial. But “information.” Something’s going on, and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to find out that it was a mini-movie.

And, frankly, it wouldn’t surprise me for the simple reason that I always expected it anyway. Anyone familiar with theme parks knows these sorts of things happen all the time. If you’re a fan of Disney World, think the mini-Muppet movie before their show, or Eric Idle’s little talk before “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience’ or C-3PO in the line at “Star Tours.” There has to be something to watch while waiting in line, and Harry Potter is no different.

I have no doubt that this will include mini-movies with the stars of the films, and since J.K. Rowling has been so involved with the process, I have no doubt it will include her as well.”

Editor’s note: While all this is interesting to be certain, please feel free to weigh in with your thoughts below:Would you like to see a new Harry Potter mini-movie at the theme park? Would this make you want to see the park even more, or add to your enjoyment of the park?

71 Responses to Followup: More on New Harry Potter Mini-Movie Rumor for Theme Park

Avatar Image says:

It doesn’t really affect my overall desire to go, but if I went to the park I think it would definitely make the experience even more fun. Having Jo involved gives it the stamp of authenticity that we fans crave.

Being one of the first to post really is kind of fun, more so than I had thought!

Avatar Image says:

First post?? I’m sure rumors will always be flying everywhere, every time something new comes up about Harry Potter, but that’s half the fun!!

Yes, it would. :)

Avatar Image says:

If Jo is going to write it-I would love to see it——bottom line.

Avatar Image says:

yay! good news… i think ;)

Avatar Image says:

As a theme park devotee, I couldn’t agree with Adler more. A mini-movie fits here. As a fan of the HP films, a mini-movie would DEFINITELY make me want to visit the park more. But I’m going anyway, day one if possible, butterbeer in hand at the park’s version of the Leaky Cauldron!

Avatar Image says:

I think that this is a really good idea, and I hope that it’s true.

Avatar Image says:

bring on the mini-movie! Anything Potter is great for me. They could even have Slytherin toilet seats and I’d still be happy, waiting in lines or not.

Can.Not.Wait.

Avatar Image says:

Now all they need it to get Jim Dale to do the voices for all the rides.

Avatar Image says:

yaaahh!! first post any ways yes this would be a great thing to have!!

Avatar Image says:

Yes ONLY if they were availble for all to see, not just park guests; perhaps included on an extra for the DH dvd.

Avatar Image says:

I definitely would LOVE to see mini-movie(s) at the park. Rather than making me ‘want’ to go to the park more, I think it will just enhance the experience when you are there.

Avatar Image says:

With all the time and money and emotion that I’ve invested in this franchise thus far, it would be completely out-of-character for me to not be sold hook-line-and-sinker for the theme park. To hear that maybe even possibly there’s going to be an exclusive mini-movie playing at the park only makes me that much more determined to get my reservations and tickets as soon as they become available.

Avatar Image says:

i don’t think so but it would be cool

Avatar Image says:

yeah! it’d be great! I can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

How Fun! I love the mini movies and facts that are in the Disney lines, It is almost as enjoyable to wait in the lines as it is riding the ride. I would be interesting in knowing what mini movies they would do, I would love to see Hermione and S.P.E.W. and then get a badge at the end of attraction.

Avatar Image says:

Minny movie -Mickey movie. Whatever! I’ll be pleased with any shenigans they do. But with something from Jo, definitely.. Gotta be there.

OMT

Avatar Image says:

Interesting. My speculations for the HP theme park are more along the lines of ‘STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE’ (http://www.startrekexp.com/) located at the Las Vegas Hilton; only much bigger. In this ride, you experience as if an episode within the series. With the richness and imagry of the HP world, think of the possibilities; maybe a motion ride involving a broom and a quidditch match, or a mission involving the use of hippogriffs or thestrals. Gift shop and restaurant; Leaky Cauldron of course.

Avatar Image says:

If there were mini movies, I would be more inclined to fly across the world to see it!

1st ??? It would be really awesome if this was true! =]

Darn, so close.

Avatar Image says:

I think this mini-movie thing would be quite fun to see… but that’s not a heavy influence on me wanting to go to the park. I’ve been wanting to go there since you guys kindly posted here on leaky that there would be a park. God… I haven’t gone to Disney or Universal Studios since I was six or seven years old. This park is the perfect excuse to pay Orlando another visit. I already set it up with my girlfriend and my friends.

I guess now I only have to get a job to pay for the trip… Oh man! I wish I could just apparate!!

Avatar Image says:

I would fly to Orlando just to see another of JK’s stories! The park would just be gravy.

Avatar Image says:

I think it would be great to see a mini movie at the park, or within a ride. I would think they have to do something for those who are going to be waiting in 2 hour long lines for rides, just to keep them on their feet. It would be a nice little reward for us all to have those types of little surprises here and there.

Avatar Image says:

i would not be suprised if this was true or came to form. like at universal, they have terminator video.

Avatar Image says:

What kind of question is that? Is there anyone reading this who WOULDNT want a mini movie?

Avatar Image says:

Although, I absolutely LOVE the idea of a mini-movie – it’s not going to effect my decision to go to the theme park when it opens one way or the other. I will be there IN SPADES. CAN”T WAIT. The theme park AND the first half of the last book in the same year (assuming it’s 2010 opening) THAT ROCKS – as for a MINi movie – BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Of course it would add to my excitement to see the park, and add enjoyment! I’d love for there to be a mini-movie or 10 XD;;;

Avatar Image says:

I definitely want to see mini movies!

Avatar Image says:

it certainly would make sense.. as long as we dont treat it like “a missing piece of harry potter”, like most of our die-hards and buffs are bound to do, there’ll be no need to resent it or make it a lifes mission to see it (if you’re living in the uk/europe and simply dont have over 1000 pounds or euros just to see one attraction at an american theme park)

Avatar Image says:

It would definitely add to the experience of the park. I hope it’s true. I hope I can sit in the muggle version of the Three Broomsticks drinking a Butterbeer and chasing it with a Firewhiskey….

ww

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to go to the park, I’ve been planning a huge family vacation to Orlando. We won’t be able to go for a couple of years, because we have to save up the money, and waiting for the younger memebers of the family to grow a little more. I am really excited about it. But when we do get to go, it will be really awesome!

Avatar Image says:

The only issue would be whether this would affect the longevity of the park. We’re all obviously hoping that it’ll be there for decades and decades, but it might be weird seeing the trio as teenagers if they’re all in their 40s!

Then again, they had Captain EO at Disneyland long after Michael Jackson got, erm, interesting …

Avatar Image says:

to be honest, befor i was getting really sick of the harry potter theme park. it was like, totally overrated. b/c you know, there wasnt anything there that we didnt already know. there wasnt and 8th harry potter book stached underneath a rollercoaster car or anything, so i wasnt interested. BUT NOWWW!!!

i still doubt if my parents would ever let me,b ut i hope the video goes online somehow. vive xe

Avatar Image says:

Well, I get the feeling it’s somewhat true too. Jo never misses an opportunity to surprise the fans, and the fact is that she must be missing writing about the world just as much as we miss reading about it. I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t mind writing the story for a small movie involving the trio just for the kicks, and hey, we’re not complaining, are we?! And it’ll just be an added bonus for the Theme Park as well, and more canon for us (I’m guessing it’s a new adventure of the trio). Oh, please confirm this fast, I can’t wait!!

Avatar Image says:

ABSOLUTELY makes me want to go even more, and that desire was already huge, huger than huge, ginormous!! I cannot wait. Several of us here at Leaky are already planning a group trip together, this will be the icing on an already fantastic cake. :) Now…. if we could only get a trailer my day would be complete. sigh

Avatar Image says:

mmmmmmm, i think that a mini movie would be super, i’d love it.

haha, also confession- haha, i use the leaky song to remember how to type in the web site.

Avatar Image says:

The mini-movie would be really cool, though I doubt (if this is true) that it will be shown anywhere else (maybe on youtube o.O).

But, after reading the comments, I think I’m the only one who says: I don’t like the idea of a theme park. I won’t say “It’s crap” or anything, I just don’t like it.

I’m sorry for everyone who want to go so much. Go and have your fun and tell about it. Maybe you can change my mind and I’ll fly across the ocean to see it ^^

Avatar Image says:

As Jo’s involved, it would be totally amazing to have small mini stories (perhaps some more backgroundstories on the books?? )

Avatar Image says:

To KillerKitty, if i made you cry then honest to God that was not my intention, but after hearing you you say that then i am happy i posted my message as would not be feeling the satisfaction i feel now. Thank you KillerKitty and may every kitty killer have a nice day. Your #1 fan and fellow kitty killer Ed Tom. Just so you know if i didn’t make my self clear before. OOPT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I suspect the mini-movie to be a something similar to T2 3D, Shrek 4D, Muppets, Back to the future-the ride storylines. They all have some sort of chase sequence to capitalise on the Hydraulic/3D ride technology. I think JK will write a plot synopsis (if she is involved at all) then a specialist screenwriter will then adapt it tailored for the ride. I think that alone would be enormously fun to speculate what this story will involve. For sure, I really really believe there will be a ride on broomsticks! That would be so cool.

Avatar Image says:

This sounds like a good idea. It worked in Universal Studios for Terminator. They made a little extra film for that as part of a live cinema show. Its excellent btw.

OH WOW OH WOW I LOVE IT

Avatar Image says:

Woohoo, I have a fan xD!!!

I hate to ruin your satisfaction, but I wasn’t really serious Ed Tom muahahahaa….. ;)

Avatar Image says:

That would be awesome! but it sounds like a rumor.just a rumor. but I want it!

Avatar Image says:

I have a hard time respecting any so called “journalist” or blogger who uses the word “Secondly” in a post, especially since the word doesn’t exist. I think this is the same guy who compared Stephanie Meyer to Kurt Vonnegut. So, needless to say, I take his a opinion with a rather large grain of salt.

As for the park, I’ve had reservations about it from the beginning. So the idea of a mini-movie makes me even more uncomfortable. It certainly doesn’t make me want to go to the park more so if it didn’t exist. I’m much more interested in getting a chance to walk through Hogwarts than a mini-movie.

Avatar Image says:

stephen fry is the voice of potter – he should do the voices for the rides, not jim bloody dale!

Avatar Image says:

i really wish i had something more constructive to add than that, but i’ve never been to a theme park. i’m british.

Avatar Image says:

i think it’s unconfirmed for now..since dan-doing equus too..but something could be worked out..to include a mini movie..

Avatar Image says:

If it’s done well, I’ll like it, and if it’s written by J.K. Rowling, then I’ll like it even more, but if it’s hashed together out of scenes that they didn’t really work too hard on, I’ll be mad. I’m agree with mollywobble, I’m much more interested about Hogwarts and Hogsmeade than I am about anything else.

Avatar Image says:

mollywobble, I have reason to believe that the word ‘secondly’ does exist, I got this out of the dictionary on my computer. sec·ond·ly [sékÉ™ndlee] adv as the second point: used to introduce the second point in an argument or discussion

Avatar Image says:

I would LOVE to see a 3D movie! Imagine Neville in his first day as herbology professor with a venemous tentacula reaching out and grabbing your feet! Or Ron watching the store and having wheezes going crazy all over the place! great fun. I picture talking portraits- so thats video, little films explaining the rides and of course there has to be the preview TV special where Harry, Ron and Hermione-and perhaps Ginny visit all the attractions as if it was a routine day in Diagon Alley. Can’t wait!! So glad we didn’t sell our Kissimmee condo!!!

Avatar Image says:

OMG! I am so gonna be there! and i’m not even living in the US!

Avatar Image says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didnt Devon Murray himself say they were working on this during Pottercast? John asked about the Theme Park and Devon mentioned they had been talking about it on set, and working on things? I just listened the Pottercast this morning. I think it only makes sense to have their faces and voices present. Would really add to the whole experience.

Avatar Image says:

Pellegrino, it’s an obsolete form of the word. Either something comes “Second” or it doesn’t. Something cant be “second-like,” which is what “Secondly” would refer too. This is basic grammar I was taught in grade school. This guy should know better. It’s just a pet peeve of mine.

Avatar Image says:

I’m with so many others here, if it’s by Jo, I’m all for it. I wonder inside what kind of time frame it’d be. It would be cool if it was just after the battle in Deathly Hallows. Or just as they are setting up the new uncorrupted ministry. How do you think (if true) Jo would write this: as a short story, as a few bullet points of new canon, or as a screenplay? Jo writing a screenplay would be kick ass cool

Avatar Image says:

Mollywobble, what are you talking about secondly, firstly: they are words! And they literally mean in the first place and in the second place shortened into an adverb. An adverb with -ly at the end can be called an adverb of manner. It’s not an adjective -ly like the way you were thinking. It’s more along the lines of greatly or hopefully, which are other adverbs of manner. (I’m really really sorry to go all Hermione, really sorry)

Avatar Image says:

It would be better if Dan, Emma, and Rupert weren’t involved at all… They’ll just remind us of the Harry Potter movies, which is complete sacrilege to the books.

That being said, OMG THEME PARK YAY.

Avatar Image says:

Kiwi, this is what I was taught it grade school and in college. Adding “-ly” to “first” or “second” is completely unnecessary, and stylistically incorrect and outdated. Sure, saying it isn’t a word was an exaggeration, but I’m not exaggerating when I say it is stylistically incorrect. Like I said, it’s just a pet peeve of mine, like nails on a chalkboard.

Sorry to hijack the thread everyone.

Getting back to the post, I have a very hard time thinking Jo wrote the story and or screenplay. Just seems to go against her normal stance on this.

Avatar Image says:

I think that a mini-movie would make the park more interesting but it would not be the reason behind my visit to the park. My reason for visiting the park would be my love of the Harry Potter universe both the books and the movies along with the other movies that are represented at the Universal theme parks. I would hope that the mini-movie (if it is being produced) would have the full support and backing of J.K. Rowling (along with her input) since she is the reason we have this wonderful series in the first place.

Avatar Image says:

I would really like to see a ride where they put you in one of those theatres with motion-simulating chairs that make you feel like you’re in the movie. or something like “honey, i shrunk the audience” at Disney, for those of you who know what i mean.

Avatar Image says:

mollywobble – secondly may have inexplicably disappeared in american english, i don’t know, but in english english (i.e. english) it is definitely valid and still in common use by academics and lay people alike. it is a word that means ‘in second place’ without having to say ‘in second place’. you can’t just say ‘second’, not in my england.

just a pet peeve of mine. that and pedants x

Avatar Image says:

Oh it would DEFINITELY make the experience better! It wouldn’t make the difference between flying over from Europe or not ( ;-) ), but if I ever go, it’ll be awesome to have new experiences. Though I’d hate not knowing what Jo wrote if I’d never make it there….....

I also think it’s just logical that they’d make their own, new mini-films… So hoping it’s true!

(I miss HP …)

Avatar Image says:

A mini movie wouldn’t sway me one way or the other about going to the theme park. I happen to think it’s possible to have the theme park without the images of the actors from the films. Harry and his story exist without the films, don’t they? But I guess they’ll use them since they can make a lot more money that way….Warner Brothers,and all the actors involved.

Avatar Image says:

I like the motion\sensory movie idea, like “Star Trek: The Experience” in Las Vegas. And Quark’s is a really good restaurant, despite the Klingon woman and the Borg that may visit the table. The Leaky Cauldron should hope to do as well. (LV has set very high standards for even buffet fare!)

And with JKR penning the adventure, I’m sure it’s a new experience for her, too, as less as increasing the chances of more canon!

Avatar Image says:

To those who would rather them not use movie imaging, you have to consider that this is Universal Studios. The movies are definitely playing a factor in this…..

I’d be excited either way, just being there and feeling I’m in the world of HP will make me happy.

I just consider this another attraction that will enhance the theme park.

However, regarding the trio. Just to have JKR actually pen the words that will come out of Movie!Ron’s mouth, make me happy.

Avatar Image says:

Um, YES. I can’t wait. I live in Orlando, be jealous. :) I’m gonna go and devote the whole visit to that section of the park. Ahhhh, this is exciting.

Avatar Image says:

Not interested in seeing any more Potter films directed by David Yates. He’s going to end up doing no less than four, for no other reason than that they couldn’t find anyone else. And if he’s got enough free time to fit in another one I doubt that he’s giving Deathly Hallows the attention it needs.

Yates, by the way, is the one responsible for the terrible “Queen’s Handbag” thing. Sure, it was done at short notice but the fact is that it still turned out awful. If he gets the gig for the theme park short film it will be just as unwatchable.

Give the reins to someone else for the short film. Please. David Heyman’s strength used to be that he would find the right person for the job, so let’s see that happening again.

Avatar Image says:

Lowerwolf, I guess I’m just a big dork in terms of American English writing style. I double checked my copy of Strunk and White to make sure I wasn’t inventing something in my head, but no, they say the same thing. This is very interesting. So in the UK you’re supposed to use “firstly,” “Secondly” and “thirdly”? Hmm. Cool.

Once again, sorry for hijacking the thread again.

Avatar Image says:

I cannot wait. They should totally make a Diagon Alley of giftshops and stuff with all the stores made like the ones in the book. i hope the rides are awesome.. with big drops and loops and all that great stuff.

Write a Reply or Comment