Warwick Davis Talks”Deathly Hallows” and “Half-Blood Prince”

120

Jun 09, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Warwick Davis has given a new interview to MTV, where he discusses his role as Professor Flitwick. The actor addresses his role as the Ravenclaw Charms Professor in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, saying his character is “light relief, ” and notes “My character seems to get involved in fun stuff now’ Davis said. “I’ve had an immensely enjoyable time again. It’s a real honor to be a part of number 6.”

He also appears to be very enthusiastic about the two films of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows “I think that’s a good idea because when you try and squeeze these quite lengthy novels into a two-hour movie, a two-and a half hour film there is gonna be stuff that’s left out’ Davis enthused. “There’s so much in the last book, I think it’ll make two really good films. It’s worthy of that.” Please note: While this article does not confirm the actor will officially be back for the final films, he does seem quite positive about the role as he joked, “I very much like the scenes with Griphook’ Davis deadpanned recently when asked to name his favorite scene in “Deathly Hallows.” “I think that’s a great character to have involved more in the film.”

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be released in theaters November 21, 2008, with production to begin on both ” Deathly Hallows” films in February of 2009.

Note: As some noted in the comments below, the MTV article originally contained an error regarding the casting of Griphook in Sorcerer’s Stone, and this has now since been rectified.

49 Responses to Warwick Davis Talks”Deathly Hallows” and “Half-Blood Prince”

Yay! :D DH news! Hehee

Avatar Image says:

Warwick Davis did not play Griphook in Sorcerer’s Stone, Vern Troyer did.

Avatar Image says:

Warwick played the other Goblin in the first movie, the teller. He also plays Griphook. Verne Troyer plays Griphook.

Avatar Image says:

Hey, hopefully Flitwick will do some proper magic in HBP instead of just conducting orchestras or choirs!!

To comments above: The way I understand it, Troyer appeared in the credits as playing Griphook but it was actually Warwick. OR maybe there is one actor for Griphook’svoice and one for the body. I don’t know, but that’s how I understand it atm.

Avatar Image says:

Vern Troyer is american, not British… but as a goblin, it’s fair to say that it doesn’t really violate the ‘british actors playing british people’ rule: he’s a creature, not a person! And there just aren’t many people Vern’s size that are actual “actors”.

“I think I will call him… Mini-Hook”.

Avatar Image says:

It doesn’t matter either way, I mean, neither of the goblins were said out-loud in the first movie, so as long as Warwick looks the same as he did in that scene, movie goers will have no problem with it. Don’t be picky.

Avatar Image says:

I’m happy that Warwick Davis got to take off that horrible mask in the 3rd movie and look more like himself. He looked less like a “psychotic leprechaun” and more like a REAL PERSON. Hooray for Little People! I LIKE him directing the school choir and band. It’s one of the things that makes Hogwarts seem like a real school

@ mugglequeen:

i think you’re right. i read that verne troyer played griphook in body, and warwick davis dubbed the voice.

of course, i did read that on wikipedia, so it could be untrue. but it seems reasonable.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t understand: does that mean that Davis was Griphook in the first movie or was it Verne Troyer ?

Avatar Image says:

So, he played Griphook as a voice?! And Vern was the body?! Ahh, now I get it. :)

Avatar Image says:

“I’m happy that Warwick Davis got to take off that horrible mask in the 3rd movie and look more like himself.”

Have you seen Warwick Davis in real life?? He looks nothing like any incarnation of Flitwick! The PoA version is definitely better though, but he still looks more like a creature than just a small guy which is what he is in the books.

I don’t think he would play Griphook in DH, but Flitwick should be in it more. It want to see that part where he and McGonagall fight Snape!!

Avatar Image says:

Whens the teaser coming out, im so excited already!!

Avatar Image says:

Warwick Davis’s a really good actor. Did anyone know that he plays the Leprechaun in all the ‘Leprechaun’ movies… He’s also in the new ‘Narni’ movie, he was in ‘Labyrinth’ He also (If anyone of you lives in California & has gone to Disneyland, you’ll know what I mean..) Plays a uncredited

Avatar Image says:

Warwick Davis is a really good actor. Did anyone know that he plays the Leprechauns in the ‘Leprechaun’ movies? He’s also in the new ‘Narnia’ movie, he was in ‘Labyrinth’ with David Bowie… He was in a few of the ‘Star Wars’ films. Also (Which is quit funny, if you’ve ever been to DisneyLand & have been on ‘Star Tours’ & watched that stupid little video before you get into to ride…) he was a uncredited Ewok in the video! Ha ha!

Avatar Image says:

Oi! I botched my first comment…Sorry!

Avatar Image says:

HAHA! fake…It seemed fake anyway… I want teaser too! I’m dying for something that actually moves:D

Avatar Image says:

Guys, Warwick Davis DID provide the voice of Griphook for PS/SS while Verne Troyer played the physical role. I wouldn’t put it past MTV to rectify their mistake and correctly state that David VOICED Griphook, not played him.

Avatar Image says:

Actually, MTV has rectified the mistake now, to a point. They do not mention that Warwick voiced the role of Griphook, but they did correct the bit about Mr. Troyer.

Avatar Image says:

Warwick should play Griphook. Flitwick is only there for the battle at Hogwarts.

Avatar Image says:

I was going to correct Ava, but then I remembered that Warwick was not only in “Return of the Jedi,” (he turned 11 or 12 during production and is easily recognizable as the Ewock who sticks out his tongue called Wicket. I remember seeing him next to Jabba the Hut in episode 1, but can’t remember if he was in any of the the others. He was fabulous in the move “Willow,” when he was just 18 years old. I didn’t know about the voice-over in PS/SS so honestly I had no idea as I don’t think I’ve actually sat through the closing credits of the films. (shameful, I know.) There were two goblins in DH so maybe Mr. Davis and Mr. Troyer will have scenes together? I think that could explain why he commented on that scene…

Avatar Image says:

Along with enjoying watching Mr. Davis in various roles over the years, what struck me most was that he clearly has read the books….

Avatar Image says:

so maybe Warwick Davis is playing Flitwick and Griphook (in DH)... right?

Avatar Image says:

T-Vey – Warwick Davis will play Flitwick in DH and probably voice Griphook in DH, like he did in SS, unless Verne Troyers not doing it I suppose. (the Harry Potter Wiki page also mentions that Verne Troyer was the body and Warwick Davis was the voice). So I guess the real answer to that is – I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Avatar Image says:

That would be cool if he did play Griphook. I can’t wait to see the movie!!!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks again, Sue, for bringing us more news! I have been keeping up, with IMDb’s Pre Production of DH: Part 1, and DH: Part 2. [that’s how they are listed, on IMDb] Things are really getting tempting, aren’t they!? Trailer, trailer, trailer!

“Trailer, trailer, trailer!” I mean for BP, folks! :D

STUPID KEYBOARD [operator] I obviously meant HBP!!!! [sorry]

Avatar Image says:

Warwick Davis will always have a special place in my heart. As Wickett the Ewok who befriends Leia in ‘Return of the Jedi’, as Willow in ‘Willow’ and of course as Flitwick.

Warwick. You are my hero. I wanted to be an Ewok when I was little and as a teen (and lets face it, now as an adult) wanted to be a student at Hogwarts.

Awesome.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve been rather disappointed in the Flitwick of the movies. That’s not even Flitwick anymore. It’s a music conductor, coincidentally played by the same actor who played Flitwick several years ago.

I’m afraid all he’ll get to do in the DH is crash cymbals around Death Eathers’ heads in some sad cartoony bit.

Avatar Image says:

Warwick could’nt play Griphook because Griphook is more little that him

It’s true that he voiced Griphook read it on his official website http://www.warwickdavis.co.uk/index.php?page=71

Avatar Image says:

You said it ‘bella vita”: “I was sooo disappointed when OOTP came out and the only set they made was of Hogwarts and it really wasn’t that different from the older sets of the castle except that it had Umbridge and thestrals.”

This is proof that aids to the fact that the harry poter movies and franchies is meeting its ugly end. The books and film were on equal levels in both popularity and success in there own mediums, but everything changed with the release of OOTP film. The books by far are now better and surpass the films thanks to OOPT’s failure. The magic was lost with OOTP, why David Yates, why?

So know i ask of you, join me so we may bring back the magic. Help me change the minds of WB so that they once and for all do away with Yates. If we don’t he will destroy us all. Like that predicable over used line Hagrid said in OOPT ” storms coming Harry”, yates is on the move and now is the time to fight.

So i leave you with these last few words storms coming are you sure you are on the side.

Avatar Image says:

@Ed Tom OotP was my favourite actually and it really does get tiring hearing people rant about it. ‘Storms coming’? Seriously get a life. Or at least get some perspective.

Doodle, I agree.

OotP was a fine film, considering the book is meandering and disjointed. It can be trimmed down quite effectively (JKR has since said she would edit certain sections) and that is exactly what Michael Goldenberg did. David Yates’ visual style suited the tone and spirit of the book, and that constitutes a success, in my opinion.

Half-Blood Prince is a superior book and now that the cast are comfortable working with Yates, I anticipate that this could be the best of the films we have seen so far.

I wouldn’t worry too much about cast members talking about it being ‘lighter’ or ‘funnier’ than previous films – we all know the material and what happens at the end. I’m sure they will enjoy the Harry/Ginny scenes and play on Ron’s reactions but the heart of the story – Harry’s Horcrux education, his time with Dumbledore and of course, Snape’s story – will be more prominent.

I think that if they’d marketed the film as “the darkest one yet” for the fifth consectutive time, they would have left themselves open to ridicule!

Avatar Image says:

@EdTom: NOT ON YOUR LIFE! Mr Yates is the best director, yet, and he proved himself without doubt in OOTP. @Libatius Borage: THANK YOU! That is the best description I’ve heard about HBP, so far. You have hit every aspect, right on the head! The core of this story IS “Harry’s Horcrux education, his time wtih Dumbledore and of course, Snape’s story-will be more prominent” Each film, IS progressively “dark”. As for Warwick Davis and ‘Flitwick/Griphook,’ I’m t I think that ‘hi is an excellent actor. I see ‘Flitwick’ as being an intregal part of HBP and DH. He’ll be wonderful, which ever he plays [or both] Thank you, Sue, again for a great article!

Avatar Image says:

“If we don’t he will destroy us all.”

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

what a fruitcake.

Avatar Image says:

I WANT THE TRAILEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!! Sorry for shouting but we need it now! And some important pictures…the cave for example…or young Tom Riddle..Sth exciting anyway… I really hope the trailer comes out with GET SMART!!!! It can’t take them much longer!!!

I love Warwick Davis, he’s so funny in Extras

Avatar Image says:

I agree about OOtP being the worst movie so far. But I don’t think you can entirely blame Yates. The book itself is just not conducive to making a movie, because there are so many things that aren’t resolved until books six and seven.

However, I do feel that criticism of Yates is warranted. I feel like he is basically the “safe” choice. I feel like he takes no risks, and everything will be dumbed down and smoothed over until the movie is as safe (and boring) as possible, like a TV show.

An example of a director who was not “safe” would be Cuaron. Whether you loved or hated POA, you can’t deny the man took risks. Actually I think that movie was the key to the entire series because up until POA, Harry Potter movies were kiddie flicks with a “Home Alone” feel. Cuaron took the risks necessary to completely transform the series into films for adults, and in so doing made it possible for everything that has come after. Like I said, you can love or hate POA (I’m leaving my opinion out of this), but you can’t deny that Cuaron took risks and transformed the series into films for adults.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, have to disagree Baldrick. I think it was someone called Ms Rowling who ensured the series appealed to adults and kids alike. Yes, POA was darker in tone then the first films but so was the book. However, I dont deny that he took risks.

Avatar Image says:

I do agree with a previous comment about Warwick’s role as Flitwick, as since the third film he seems to have become less of a charms teacher and more of a choir conductor!

can’t wait to see the trailer for HBP!

would be good for Warwick to play Griphook too, give him more to do!

@ Doodle

Ms. Rowling? Who’s that?

Seriously though, I’m leaving her out of the equation and focusing on the tone and style brought to the films that reflect the directors’ choices. Although I have always thought that JKR could write and direct the films and they would be amazing, of course. But then she’d have no time for writing books, and that’s no good. Maybe if she had a time turner…

Avatar Image says:

EdTom – I realize you have some sort of personal crusade against David Yates, but how can you even say this: “This is proof that aids to the fact that the harry poter movies and franchies is meeting its ugly end. The books and film were on equal levels in both popularity and success in there own mediums, but everything changed with the release of OOTP film. The books by far are now better and surpass the films thanks to OOPT’s failure.” with a straight face?

I will never argue that the books are not better than the films (most books are better than the film based upon them), or that they are not more popular, but as far as movie popularity and success goes, OOTP was the 5th highest grossing movie of 2007. I don’t think WB is unhappy with Yates. See: http://movies.com/boxoffice?cat=2007

Avatar Image says:

Actually – to followup, OOTP is actually the 28th highest grossing movie of all time. In fact, all 5 of the Harry Potter movies fall within the top 44. Sorcerer’s Stone is the highest grossing of the 5 at number 20, OOTP is next, and ironically, POA is the lowest grossing of the 5 at number 44: http://movies.com/boxoffice?cat=alltime I’m not saying that the most popular movies are necessarily the best, I am just disputing EdTom’s assertion that the Harry Potter movie franchise is dead.

Avatar Image says:

I agree Cuaron took risks – the most laughable being to give H ermione the strength of The Incredible Hulk (picking Harry up with one arm!). Now PoA is my second favourite movie behind OotP but taking risks isn’t always positive.

Avatar Image says:

I agree Cuaron took risks – the most laughable of which was turning Hermione into The Incredible Hulk! ( Even Hagrid would struggle to pick Harry up one-handed!). I like PoA but taking risks dosen’t always make things better.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for the double post!

Avatar Image says:

MovieGal and Scully don’t give me facts on highest grossing films of the year, its the point im making with critics. OOPT did the worst according to critics and that is all that matters. You come here and give me worthless facts on popularity. OOpt did so well in getting the cash rollin in because so many people went in expecting a great film and got a major dissappointment. The Harry Potter series has built up its highly successful film reputation over the years that so many expected OOPT to be good. Thats why it did so welll in the Box office.

Avatar Image says:

I forgot to mention as well to the comment of MovieGal, Spiderman 3, I Am Legend, 300, Alvin and the Chipmunks were all in the top 10 for highest grossing films of 2007. That just goes to show that today society has no taste when it comes to choice of film. No Country For Old Men won Best Motion Picture of the year, but it was no were to be seen on that list.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for the double post!

Write a Reply or Comment