Balmoral Hotel Offers “JK Rowling Suite”

Jul 20, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

The room in Edinburgh’s picturesque Balmoral Hotel where J.K. Rowling finished writing Harry Potter has been renamed, with the author’s permission, the J.K. Rowling Suite, the Telegraph reports. It costs £965/night to stay there.

The suite is room number 552 in the hotel, and reps for the Balmoral say that since it was revealed on ITV‘s JK Rowling: A Year in the Life documentary last December, “wealthy fans from across the world have stayed there, specifically requesting the suite.” A hotel source told the Telegraph that the 180-square-foot room is exactly the same as when JKR wrote there, including the writing desk she used “as well as the queen-size bed in which she slept.” (However, TLC can report she used the room mostly as a day office, and went home at night; she didn’t spend the whole time there, and likely didn’t spend the night in the bed at all.)

The hotel also has on display in the room is the marble bust of Hermes on which JKR wrote, “JK Rowling finished writing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this room (552) on 11th jan 2007.” You can see a picture of the signature here in our galleries. The bust was originally removed from the room, but has now been replaced and sits in a glass case.

The room also now boasts a brass plaque on the front door and a brass owl instead of a door knocker.

56 Responses to Balmoral Hotel Offers “JK Rowling Suite”

Avatar Image says:

Thats really cool, but WAY to expensive!

Avatar Image says:

1st to comment! Woo! This would be awesome if it wasn’t so expensive! Oh well..

Avatar Image says:

even she cant afford a night there now!!!

Avatar Image says:

If I had enough money then I would SO stay there. But woah… £965 a night, it must be luxurious!

Avatar Image says:

It makes so much sense to learn that she only spend days working there. I have always thought it strange that she would move away from home for a long period, away from her family who obviously mean everything to her, in order to finish the book. I much prefer knowing that she used the room for a day office and went home at night. As someone who works from home I understand the need to have the desire to “go to the office” to work. If your office is in the house, it’s difficult to separate the two sometimes. Someday when I win a lottery or something, I’ll visit Scotland – one, because I have always wanted to go and two, to stay in that room and maybe read some of The Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

This is so cool, one day I’ll spend the night there

Avatar Image says:

How much???? Oh to be rich instead of having to buy cheap bread and baked beans.

Avatar Image says:

They should deck it out with HP bedding and posters and a bunch of other stuff! It’d be awesome!

Avatar Image says:

I wonder how much her old council flat is worth? Can we all chip in and buy it? We could let it for Potter pilgrimages!

Avatar Image says:

That is so great! I remember last year when we learned that she finished the book in that suite and signed a statue, how we speculated (and wished) that they will do something of that sort. But as I recall there was doubt that the hotel was going to actually turn the room into a sort of a shrine. I’m glad they changed their mind!

Avatar Image says:

Wow thats really cool! i live about 2 and a half hours from Edinburgh…but then again i doubt i’ll stay there just a tad out of my price range lol!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, now I understand the message to write in a hotel room where it is peaceful. hehehe! Thanks Jo…. though I may have to put that idea on hold for a while.

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know how long it took her to write Deathly Hallows? Did she rent the hotel room for a year? Week? How long?

Avatar Image says:

I’ll be staying there one day.

Avatar Image says:

This is hilarious! What a way to rip people off.

Avatar Image says:

But wow… imagine going there for like your honeymoon or something. :)

Avatar Image says:

Its really cool but a correction – Its a door handle not the knocker thats the owl Its also not all that expensive when you consider the Balmorals top room (penthouse) is £1500 a night

Avatar Image says:

I hope that I can stay in that room one day. Still that is a little under $2000 per night, I’ll abstain for a while.

Avatar Image says:

I would love to visit Edinburgh and stay there in that room, but as everyone else has said, It’s just a little too expensive! when I say little I mean a LOT!Still, I think it’s cool that they named the room after her.

Avatar Image says:

how much is that in the US?

Avatar Image says:

1928.55 USD Too rich for my blood. It’s pretty neat that they named the suite for her though. As Rupert would say … COOL!

Avatar Image says:

that’s great! it would be amazing to spend a night there but that’ll only happen if I get a whole lot richer. oh well, that’s still really nice to know.

Avatar Image says:

yet another reason to visit scotland, i wana visit scotland so bad ! all because of jk, this hotel is definatly going to be in the visit, not to rent the room mind, im not that wealthy ! but just to go into the hotel would be cool.

Avatar Image says:

Omg, I MUST….. GO… TO… THAT….ROOM… hahah.

Avatar Image says:

Pity it’s only for the rich people…

...But still nice

Avatar Image says:

Wow. I bet it would still be expensive even if you wanted to look in there! Lol.

Avatar Image says:

OMG I’m going to have to save up money until I’m 80 years old. :)

Avatar Image says:

@Hiin….ooooooh, that’s so tacky! It would be awful [and not a bit shoddy] for them to do a “Harry Potter Decor”. That would be like having a “StarWars” room at Universal Sharaton, in L.A. Nice, simple and elegant.

Avatar Image says:

That is way cool. If I ever got the chance to even go to that hotel, I would try everything to get that room. Even though it is very expensive, it is reasonably priced for Jo.

Avatar Image says:

i would stay there if i had the money. maybe it would give me some inspiration to right my own story’s.!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Well, when you multiple the rate by 2.5 to get the current exchange rate to change it into dollars – VERY expensive!!!

I remember when the bust thing came out, everyone was wondering if the Hotel would eventually do this very thing… gee, we’re all prescient! How I would love to just even walk through the room, much less stay there.

And, Melissa, can’t wait for your book to come out so we can read all about that new interview you got with her! Awesomeness.

Avatar Image says:

Please tell me all proceeds go to opening a soup kitchen in the basement.

It’s pathetic what ‘some people’ will spend their ‘pocket money” on. They’d be better off by giving their secretary a raise; spending the night in their own room; and attempting to get closer to an author by actually reading his/her books. I guess the books are over…so they have a market. But isn’t she (in court) basically against people using her name for their benefit?

Whatever floats your boat. I’m not sailing that sea.

Avatar Image says:

wowwwwwwwwwwww. thats so neat!!!!!! i wouldnt really want to spend the night there though. it would be a little creepy it think. like, the ghost of Hedwig would come flapping in there in the night or something. i would like to spend 20 minutes in there, to walk around and to just be. like in the potter world. ahh….............. vive xe

Avatar Image says:

OMG! My license plate for the longest time (and I still have a JPG of it) was “GO 552”. How funny is that?

Avatar Image says:

So… unrelated but Happy First Birthday Deathly Hallows! thanks Jo!

Avatar Image says:

I would love to go. Now all I need is about 19 other friends and we could party in the room all day. I think that would be the only way I could ever stay in this room.

Thanks Balletbee for pointing out the date. I do not believe that I did not notice it before. It seems like both forever ago and just yesterday I finally got my hands on my copy of Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

Why would the hotel refuse to comment (as reported by the newspapers) if they had “officially” renamed the room? And why would they place an unguarded bust in a well-publicized room when that bust must be valued at several hundred thousand pounds? They must have a very flexible and sympathetic insurance underwriter, and/or a VERY secure glass case!

Avatar Image says:

wtf.please clarify, as a big fan of JKR I actually agree with your sentiments on this one. However I’d point out she’s suing (rightly imo) over the use of her many years of work not her name – there’s a big difference. Hope I’ve clarified that part at least (lol).

Avatar Image says:

oh and what a claim to fame that would be… “guess what i did with 1000 pounds?” “what?” “i slept in the same bed as J K Rowling did once…” pffft. i can think of a thousand more worthwile things to do with all that money thankyou very much.

Avatar Image says:

how much did it cost before she stayed there? i bet it wasn’t that much. j k rowling aught to say something.

Avatar Image says:

wow I’ll have to wait until I win the lotto for this but very cool.

Just me though or does Jo’s writing on the bust say room 652? Not 552? Could just be my eyes :-)

Avatar Image says:

to be clear they are not charging £965 because jo stayed there- thats what it cost before!

Avatar Image says:

AAAHHH!!!!! ssoooo much awesomenesss!!!!! by the time i’m twenty me n my friend are going to split the cost and stay for one night!!!!....even though she don’t no it yet…BUT STILL!!

Avatar Image says:

The things some people spend money on. The room is almost exactly the same, the cost for staying there must have gone up, but for staying in the same room she used, on the same desk and looking at the same bust… Ka-ching! Forget it if you were expecting more luxury… the whole point of the room is keeping it exactly as it was.

For some, overpaying for that room might seem silly… but for others the experience must be priceless.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with the High Price…

Keeps out the riff-raff.

A true Harry Potter Fan would treat the room with the respect it deserves. The same can’t be said about the rest of the world.

Avatar Image says:

She did have a camera crew with her… I expect that she did her work at the hotel to avoid disrupting her family’s day-to-day life. Like any working mom, she went to the ‘office’ then came home in the evening to be with her family.

JKR is such a class act… she deserves here bazillions of dollars.

Avatar Image says:

We were there three weeks ago, but we didn’t stay in the room. The door does have a brass plaque reading “the JK Rowling Suite.” The door knocker, which is just a plain thing on all other doors, has been replaced with a brass owl looking every bit like Hedwig.

Avatar Image says:

lol Finally a post about the room! I got to explore it for a good amount of time last July! It was amazing! We had a sort of harry potter movie marathon in our pajamas in the room the night before the book release! I have a video of it too! I should post it on youtube! I got to sit at the desk and go through everything in the room! It really was amazing!!! The view from the room is spectacular. You walk in and theres a bathroom to your left then straight ahead is the living room and ahead of that is this circular library alcove! There’s a mini fridge and a big screen TV and a nice couch in the living room. One thing I found cool was there’s a statue of a stag right near the desk. The desk is wooden and red topped and sits near a window facing a wall with an old fashioned hunting picture over it. It had a black crow statue on the desk as well! There’s a bedroom ahead of that and a bathroom. Here’s A picture of the desk at least If your curious!

Avatar Image says:

1200 euros!!! I guess I will have to save money for some time, or find some very rich and generous friends :)

Avatar Image says:

I got into Harry Potter about 2 months after DH. I never knew that she finished the book on my 12th birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is a sickness ;)

Avatar Image says:

HAHAHA I’ve just been catching up on old PotterCasts during my time off and this very joke was made at some point on the show (that her room would become some sort of shrine)—lo and behold, that’s what it’s become!! this is really cool though. One day when I’m rich and famous I’ll definitely stay in that suite = )

Avatar Image says:

Uh… judging by what Katherine and Hermione1308 say… it seems kinda fair. Sounds like the room was huge and classy, so of course it’d have a big price tag on it. Calling it the JK Rowling suite is more than enough of a lure to get people to stay there far more often than they did before.

Avatar Image says:

It’d be a perfect first price in a future HP contest: One night in this suite at Balmoral Hotel. Plus travel expenses (by train from London) covered of course.

So let’s find a contest for this price. :)

Write a Reply or Comment