USA Today First Look at “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”

114

Jul 03, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

It would seem tonight is a great night for Harry Potter fans, as the USA Today has a “first look”
preview of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. While new photos from the sixth Harry Potter film do not yet seem to be online, this new article indicates there is new material to be had on Draco, Harry and Ginny and perhaps our first look at Jim Broadbent as Professor Slughorn as the piece states “the focus is on the evolution of Harry’s rival Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) into a malevolent force. Also introduced: Potions teacher Professor Slughorn (Jim Broadbent). Of interest to fans are details on the blossoming relationship between Harry and Ginny: “They’re about to kiss,” director David Yates says. “Then the bloody Death Eaters turn up and cause all sorts of anarchy.” A separate piece on the romance is as follows:

Harry develops feelings for Ginny Weasley (Bonnie Wright), the younger sister of his best pal Ron (Rupert Grint).

“Harry has these feelings for Ginny which he’s unable to express or fulfill because Ron is very protective of her,” says director David Yates. “Ginny is going through a time of exploration. She’s finding confidence with boys and has been going out with a few. There’s a kind of maturity that is quite adventurous.”

Yates chose to do more improvising this time around, particularly as the young actors have matured in their craft. One such improvisational scene is one between Harry and Ginny that is fraught with romantic tension.

Ron, for his part, is overcome with romantic fervor after digging into some charmed chocolates. “He’s in a daze and madly in love, which is kind of alarming to any warm body who comes into close proximity,” Yates says.

UPDATE:Thanks to hbpmoviepics, who let us know they have the scan of the article from the papercontaining new photos of Hermione (Emma Watson) and what seems to be our first look look at Romilda Vane (Anna Shaffer), as well as a new photo of director David Yates with Dan Radcliffe (Harry) and Bonnie Wright (Ginny) at Christmas time.

90 Responses to USA Today First Look at “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”

Yay!!!

Avatar Image says:

WOOWWW finally something!!! now wait for the trailer…

sweeeeet!!!!!!!! C’mon trailer!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Good review. Wonder when we’ll see the photo of slughorn. Maybe we will get the trailer sometime this week, next week or the week after. And maybe just maybe we might get a phew new photos.

Avatar Image says:

FINALLY!!! This sounds exciting, and it’s made me more curious than ever to see how they’ve developed the Harry-Ginny relationship. To me, it sounds like it’s going to be pretty intense!

And I’m DYING to see Ruphert’s love struck act! I’m sure he’s going to ROCK in it!

Can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

So wait….Harry and HellSpawn (I mean Ginny) are about to kiss, and then Death Eaters attack? So they don’t kiss? THANK GOD, I HATE GINNY WEASLEY SHE STOLE HARRY FROM ME!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I predict that the Harry/Ginny shippers are going to be soo disappointed in this movie. Yates “improvised” on H/G and it would seem that they don’t even get to kiss here. That explains why there isn’t any publicity on the H/G kiss unlike the Harry/Cho kiss which was exploited for promotion. Poor Bonnie ain’t gonna kiss Dan in this movie.

Avatar Image says:

this makes me excited for the movie! i can feel a trailer coming on!

Avatar Image says:

omgomgomgomgomg!!!! im so happy i have butterflies in my tummy!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!! omg im such a h/g shipper and DeatlyH, i have no idea what your talking about, and yes, ginny stole him from all of us, but they are so darned perfect for eachother!!! and i cant get the article. darn IM SO HAPPY! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!1 vive xe

Avatar Image says:

More more more more more!!!! YAY!!! I am doing a happy dance today, we are FINALLY getting some news!!!! Now just a few more days for the trailer and I will be able to make it through to the movie itself! :)

Avatar Image says:

I’m guessing the whole about to kiss and then death eaters show up part is referencing that added in scene where the Burrow gets attacked. I’m guessing that they nearly kiss then and then that moment is ruined, leaving us to wait till nearer the end when they finally do.

Avatar Image says:

ooh, and what was with that deatheartersinterruptingthebestkissingallbooks(besidesR/Hr)thing?? what about the song after the winning of the quidditch cup? please dear lor, let yates have put that it. i seriously think i would roll out of the theater seat and die in the popcorn infested aisle. vive xe

Avatar Image says:

oh H, i hope thats true. gotta have the song after quuidditch vive xe

Avatar Image says:

People Dan has already said THEY DO KISS at some point in previous interviews! Don’t worry it has to be there. Yates could just be referring to a specific scene that they get interrupted not necessarily the whole movie. The burgeoning relationship between Harry and Ginny sounds intense and the thing with the shoelaces is way too sweet. OMG. I have to see this movie RIGHT NOW.

Avatar Image says:

I am sure they get around to it eventually evil grin

Avatar Image says:

I am going to be sooooooo pissed off if they don’t kiss in this movie. To not have the Quidditch celebration kiss scene in this is absolute sacrilege.

Avatar Image says:

All Right! November can’t come fast enough for me!

Avatar Image says:

People, they kiss in the movie. Dan has said so in more than one interview.

The Harry/Ginny romance sounds wonderful and sexy. Can’t wait.

This is AWESOME!! Trailer can’t be to far away! <3

They do kiss, we saw that in the seek peeks! In the scene with the death eaters they don’t kiss, they almost. Like the part in the book where Harry passes by her in the battle and wants to be with her. I still think Ginny’s hair isn’t red enough but, she is cool! <3

Which one is Romilda Vane? please tell me she is the one with long hair!

Avatar Image says:

he probably doesnt want to give the kiss away to fans who havent read the book

Avatar Image says:

Blah, Draco. He’s really not a dynamic character at all, is he? I hope that the film isn’t wholly centered on him.

Avatar Image says:

Romilda looks too old to be a 4th year in that pic, but it is just one pic, and I’m probably overanalyzing. This is great, finally starting to get HBP news and pics. Trailer please! Oh, and can we see Jessie Cave in character, I’m dying to see how ‘Lav-Lav ” is going to look. Keep it coming, I can’t wait to see the look on “Ron’s” face, when “Harry” and “Ginny” kiss after the quidditch match. I wonder if this will be one of his infamous “bloody hell” moments?

Avatar Image says:

I think having a sort of awkward almost-kiss moment earlier in the movie than the actual kiss makes sense (maybe even more than the book). It establishes that Ginny understands harry’s attraction and harry understands hers.

Avatar Image says:

They don’t kiss? WHAT? Bloody hell!

Avatar Image says:

After receiving quite a few requests for HBP news, I’ve decided to let on a bit more. Don’t expect too much, though; the official publicity cycle has just about begun.

The opening of the movie is not like the book. I won’t say exactly how. There is a Scrimgeour-related reason for my silence on this matter.

The closing of the movie is not like the book. The splitting of DH has played a role in this.

I would love it if the MPAA gave HBP an R rating. However, the MPAA rates nudity relatively higher than violence, hence it is unlikely that WB won’t sneak a PG-13 rating through.

The Dark Knight: The IMAX experience is the place to be.

Think the Dumbledore vs. Voldemort battle was awesome? (effects-wise, not accuracy-wise) Prepare to be blown away by the Inferi scene.

Think the Harry’s-possesion scenes were dramatic? Watch the-emotional-blackmailing-of-Slughorn scene carefully.

Think that Rickman outperformed every other actor in OotP? With HBP, he outdoes himself.

Prepare for Michael Gambon to (almost) redeem himself for his slightly off-kilter GoF performance. You will reminded of good ol’ book Dumbledore moreso than Richard Harris.

And keep your eyes & ears shut if you don’t want to be hit left & right with images & descriptions of the movie before release. Mind you, not everything will be laid bare even by the time the trailers come and gone.

I will return with 1 final warning.

Avatar Image says:

“Checks calender: Is it November yet”

“Nope, still July”

Goes back to sleep

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Avatar Image says:

Please, ll, tell me there IS an actual h/g kiss and not just a near miss. I think I might have to puke if they left out at least 1 actual kiss scene for H/G. That would completely suck if he really didn’t put that in.

Avatar Image says:

To nubiana: I just pictured it. The part where ron says bloody hell when he sees that harry kissed ginny. It’s funny. They do kiss because dan said that there will be massive make-out sessions with bonnie. And dan day dreams about ginny, so the part where yates says they are about to kiss and they get interupted by death eaters a few scenes come to mind. 1 the attack at the burow. 2 where harry is dreaming about him and ginny about to kiss he gets woken up by ron or something or someone. 3 the part where harry aves ginny from the death eaters spell and he realized he hadn’t seen or kissed her all day and tries to but he just remembered that death eaters are attacking the school so he puts his love on hold to save other people. Whoever mentioned the one about Romilda she is the one on hermione’s (emma’s right) with the black curly hair. Hey by the way did anyone else noticed that Bonnie Wrights last name had been changed to Knight instead of Wright? So this could be fake.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry about that one. I ment to say that harry day dreams about ginny.

Avatar Image says:

I ment saves ginny. and hermione’s (emma’s) right.

Avatar Image says:

deathlyH, i loled at what you wrote. “Hellspawn” – i’m going to have to remember that one ! Love it , this is so exciting. I love that description of what Dan and Bonnie do! and ll, you have my interest piqued yet even more! I don’t remember, who blackmails Slughorn? Also, you’re telling us to go to the IMax showing of Batman- are they going to show an imax version of the preview? you’re killing me…

Love all this information!

Avatar Image says:

It would make sense that Harry and Ginny don’t kiss – it would just line up with their representation of the relationship(s) so far. They’ve consistently messed up both R/Hr and H/G by grossly underplaying Ginny in all movies and by throwing only a couple of awkward moments for R/Hr, but giving the real affection and friendship to Harry and Hermione and Harry and Luna.

Avatar Image says:

Im so excited i dont really care if there’s no trailer right now, i hope for one very soon but this article has just made my day.

Avatar Image says:

o and does anybody think that the girl on emma’s left looks a little bit like yasmin page from ballet shoes? or maybe its just me???

Avatar Image says:

^ I think Yates redeemed the films and their romantic storylines in OotP quite a bit though. H/Hr had NO sexual chemistry, while R/Hr had tonnes with their little tidbits and scenes. H/L seemed totaly platonic to me. Luna was his ‘mentor’ as Yates described it. They connected because they were ‘different’ from everyone else.

radcakesfan – Harry emotionally blackmails Slughorn into giving him the memory (about teenage Riddle and the Horcruz query).

|| – I want more! You might as well just post everything you know so a few people can see it. You’re anonymous on here and the mods will eventually delete the post anyway – but at least a few fans will get to read it. :D

Avatar Image says:

DAVID YATES!!!!!!watta joke i knew he was gonna stuff up this movie aswell.he cut out an important scene from this movie..imagine what he’ll do when he makes number 7

Avatar Image says:

Starfish: Romilda is the one on Hermione’s (Emma’s) LEFT. So, from our view, facing them she is the one on the RIGHT. Romilda has the long curly and thick dark brown hair.

Avatar Image says:

“H/G will kiss – as numerous people have said before me, Dan already said so in that HBP sneak peek we got MONTHS ago. People like to complain and overreact, don’t they?”

Hey, I resent that kinda. :-)

I can’t help it – for 3 years! I’ve been looking forward to the H/G scenes. Don’t tease me about stuff like that. : -)

Avatar Image says:

It wasn’t a personal attack. I’ve been waiting for news and I love things to stay canon too – it just annoys me that people think the worst before they get any true facts. There’s a fine line between protecting yourself from disappointment and being downright pessimistic. Plus, being are complaining and overreacting being pessimistic about something that seems to be misinterpreted.

We should be happy that we’re at least getting SOMETHING. Don’t rain on everyone’s parade.

• Plus, PEOPLE are..
Avatar Image says:

ARHH! I am so upset that Australia doesn’t get HP till 11 December. IT IS SO UNFAIR! I DO hope that they will put in a REAL kiss. It gets Harry through so many tough times weep He NEEDS it. :D

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t actually take it personally. Hence the smiley faces. ;-)

Avatar Image says:

I changed my mind. Of course they will put a kiss in. It is too important to miss out on and at WILL attract an audience (er me). If they don’t I will fly to London and make the biggest complaint know to man kind. :)

Avatar Image says:

did anyone notice they called poor Bonnie the wrong name? they put “Knight” not “Wright” in the article but the caption is correct

Avatar Image says:

WHO is II? WHERE are you getting all the information from? IS it reliable? ARE you deeply involved in the Potter films or just psychic? WHERE can I get more??!

Sorry if I sound like an english teacher. I am just getting a little excited :)

Avatar Image says:

iLOVEseamus – It must be a clue! The Dark Knight; here I come! YAY!

Avatar Image says:

To iLOVEseamus, yes I noticed that to. I was the first person to put that comment on here. Anyone else noticed it to. It could be fake.

Avatar Image says:

To woowhoo, Good point. They could of put that up there to tell us the trailer will be attached to the dark knight.

Avatar Image says:

omggggg ! this is great!! man they BETTER kiss in this movie or ill be really disappointed :( and wheres the trailer at? ahh

Avatar Image says:

i REALLY hope they kiss!!!!!!!!!!

they HAVE too….maybe Yates was talking about one particular scene!!!

& about dreamy hermione, thinking about ron, i totally like that!!!!!

...WE WANT THE TRAILER! WE WANT THE TRAILER…...!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I guess the oress finally got clearance to release everything HBP. FINALLY!!

Avatar Image says:

Woot woot! Bring on the publicity!! We are finally out of our Harry Potter drought!

I don’t mind them playing up the H/G stuff, they have to lay a foundation for non-book readers, especially because so much of Harry’s feelings are explored internally and not through dialogue or action. I figure that while they are at the burrow during Christmas Harry and Ginny will almost kiss and be interupted by the added Death-Eaters-Attack-The-Burrow Scene. But I REALLY hope that they do the first kiss like they did in the book, after the quidditch final.

I have faith that Yates won’t let us down!!

Avatar Image says:

The more I hear about HBP the more I thank God for David Yates – he’s exactly what this darkening series needed.

Avatar Image says:

omg, I think I have missed something! What is this added scene at the Burrow about?

Avatar Image says:

yuck :) I’m gonna be loving the Death Eaters at that part :) H/G shudders but sooo excited for the movie!!!! xx

Avatar Image says:

Potter Puppet Pals has a new video up – it’s called the vortex. It is very funny. I wish the movies wee exactly the same as the books and they didn’t change a thing. That would be the best.

Avatar Image says:

FINALLY! yay :] this can only be the beginning of the massive land slide of HBP stuff :]

Avatar Image says:

& they will totally kiss. They can’t leave us hanging like that! Hopefully it will go exactly like the book _

Avatar Image says:

I am looking forward to regular HBP movie updates. I will end up checking Leaky ten times a day. Sounds like fun! Don’t you love my life?

Avatar Image says:

almost obsessive HP girl – About 8 weeks ago we found out that they added a death eater attack scene on the burrow while Harry is there to show the audience that the world isn’t safe. It’s because they said that in the books JK Rowling slipped in lots of comments about killings and attacks but they can’t do that in the movie.

Avatar Image says:

Omg why cant they just leave the kiss like it is in the book. I think the millions of books sold show that Jo knows what shes talking bout.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks a lot ||! But didn’t you say that Scrimgeour will appear (maybe I’m a bit confused). But anyway, you said about the end

Harry will talk with Ron & Hermione about “the mission”. Movie ends…

They will cut the funeral, that’s all!

Avatar Image says:

I’m really excited! but have they completely taken out the post-quidditch kiss? That’s awful. XP But tying someone else’s shoelace is quite an intimate thing to do IMO. (o.o) It’s cute and it fits. [nods] And I’m unbelievably stoked about Draco being mentioned in relatively the “forefront” compared to other plots. Me wanty lots and lots of Draco in this movie. Even if he’s not being shown but just mentioned ^^; Maybe they’ll have lots of establishing shots of him whenever they do mention him. Anyway, on an off topic, I NEED A TEASER TRAILER REALLY SOON OR I MIGHT JUST DIE! And there’d better be some Draco, Snape, and Tom Riddle in it. :-I

Avatar Image says:

explain me something, so we arent gonna see the kiss from Harry and Ginny??? I was waiting for that scene….

Avatar Image says:

Looking at the scans, I ask “Why don’t they make Hermione officially blonde”?—Really, it’s becoming annoying, it just keeps on getting brighter film after film.

Avatar Image says:

The shoelace scene sounds so cute, although I have no idea who Bonnie Knight is rolls eyes

Avatar Image says:

This sounds really great! I am so looking forward to this film, considering it’s one of my least favourite books of the series it might even become my favourite film.

It looks like they’re really trying to get the balance right between the mushy romantic stuff, which I thought was too much in the book, and the proper DE business. I’m so glad Draco is going to get time to develop. I hope they get across how frightened he is too not just malevolent.

The picture of Dan and Ginny looks lovely. I really like the shirt Harry’s wearing. Can’t wait to see all the Christmas as the Burrow stuff (even though my favourite HBP book scene with Scrimgeour/Harry is not going to be there).

Avatar Image says:

Once again, can’t read all posts, at this point….but OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. The trailer won’t be far behind, kids! I love the picture on the front of the magazine. [got so excited, don’t remember which it was…] Ivy…shoelaces? You’ve lost me, again! I think, chelsea, that the reason “there isn’t as much publicity” on the H/G kiss is that there was so much on the H/C! Not needed, eh? Toooo cool! Bring it on, WB! We’re ready for anythiing….[evil grin]

Avatar Image says:

Let the onslaught of images and articles begin! Horray for the end of the embargo!

Avatar Image says:

Eeek! Shoelace. Well at least now we know the Ginny (Bonnie) has more than 1 line. But Bonnie Knight? ‘Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) and Ginny Weasley (Bonnie Knight) have a stolen moment where there lips nearly meet.’ Gee… get the name right…. Oh well.. This might happen but most likely I’m wrong-

I'm not sure but for example they are in the burrow and they then are alone (IDK how but maybe they were just behind other people) Then Bonnie does the shoelace thing, she ties it for him then stands up again they lean in for a kiss but gets interrupted by DEs then they, fight them and stuff. Things get very awkward between them and maybe Ginny is still with Dean when the DEs came after the the attack and the near kiss she breaks up with Dean then it's like awkward between Ginny and Harry then maybe  the Quidditch thing, yadeyadeyah then Quidditch kiss.

Most likely I’m wrong but it’s interesting to think about… :)

Avatar Image says:

I’m not sure but for example they are in the burrow and they then are alone (IDK how but maybe they were just behind other people) Then Bonnie does the shoelace thing, she ties it for him then stands up again they lean in for a kiss but gets interrupted by DEs then they, fight them and stuff. Things get very awkward between them and maybe Ginny is still with Dean when the DEs came after the the attack and the near kiss she breaks up with Dean then it’s like awkward between Ginny and Harry then maybe the Quidditch thing, yadeyadeyah then Quidditch kiss. Most likely I’m wrong but it’s interesting to think about… :)

Avatar Image says:

Do people not read the comments here before posting a reply? I’m really starting to question the intelligence of some here.

For crying out loud people; Of course THEY KISS! Dan said numerous times he’s kissing Ginny in HBP. Just because the article says they ‘almost kiss’ doesn’t mean it’s giving away the entire relationship. It’s called foreplay. To get your interest piqued. It’s for an audience who’s not familiar with the story line.

Avatar Image says:

Ooh, I absolutely can’t wait for this film now ! :-) Hopefully this magazine will have come over on the boat to Ireland so I can buy a copy!

Avatar Image says:

when’s this hitting newsstands?? today?

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Sasha. I ask the same question whenever I read some of these Leaky comments too.

Avatar Image says:

sounds cool. the thing about their kiss getting interrupted by the DEs though isn’t. i wanted their first kiss scene (even if there its an almost kiss scene) to be after the quidditch game like in the book. but i guess you have to change some stuff in the movie. pity, though.

Avatar Image says:

wait…if they don’t get to kiss… there being a few times where they almost do but don’t is great, but they really must. and i wish they could do it just like in the book. if not, oh well, but they must kiss!

Avatar Image says:

Neville looks freakin’ butch as hell, yo. i’m kinda scared of him already lol

@Sasha.

foreplay…you kinda rule now.

Avatar Image says:

With all this new material coming out about the film we don’t need a trailer. The less we see the bigger the surprise.

Avatar Image says:

doesnt it bother anyone else that they change all the love scenes? it seems to me ron’s gf isnt lavender, that he just likes her because of the potion. i dont like that idea, i want hermione to get jealous and go to the party with mclaggen. and i wish harry and ginny getting together would be as sudden as it was in the book. but thats just me

Avatar Image says:

Iheartrw, and others. I think that Harry and Ginny still kiss, this is just an added scene to play-up the tension between then; they can’t, after all, really film the beast in Harry’s chest. Also, we know that they’ve casted Lavender and McLaggen, so they’re in the movie; we also know they’ve cast Romilda Vane. It sounds like they’re just releasing small details that aren’t really a part of the central plot right now – which isn’t that surprising see as how quite they’ve been about the whole movie up until now.

Avatar Image says:

I love the pic with Daniel, Bonnie and David! Yates didn’t say H/G don’t kiss in this movie, he just said they don’t kiss in that particular scene. Daniel said in an interview that Harry kisses Ginny in a scene, so theyfilmed it, and I don’t think the director and producers will be so silly not to include it.

Avatar Image says:

Chelsea, are you crazy or something? Emma: “Yeah, Ron kisses Lavender, and Harry kisses Ginny. Dan: “Well, I kiss his sister!” Please refer to old interviews before stating false facts about Harry and GInny not kissing.

Avatar Image says:

When david yates says, “There about to kiss” it’s just for that particular scene. I’m pretty sure they’ll have the actual kiss. There is no way they can’t have it, or else i’ll go mad. Seriously. And they better have it after the quiddditch match too. They didn’t mention ron/lavendar. Ah well, that’s okay, i’m just excited about the part of hermione dreaming about ron in potions.

Avatar Image says:

is it just my copy of half blood prince thats missing the pages where deatheaters attack the Burrow?

Avatar Image says:

No, you just need to pay better attention to movie news. We’ve known about the attack on the burrow for months.

Avatar Image says:

thanku for infomation now wait fo a trailer . i love to wait for it

Write a Reply or Comment