Reminder: Portus 2008 This Weekend in Dallas, Texas

Jul 09, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

A reminder today that Portus 2008, the HPEF Harry Potter symposium will take place this weekend in Dallas, Texas. If you have not yet registered for this event, you may still do via this link, with individual day registrations remaining as well. A note as well that the day registration for Saturday will allow you to to attend a special event with US audio book narrator, Jim Dale. To preview the gathering in Texas, the Dallas News has a new article online, showcasing some of the various topics and academic discussions due based on the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling.

“It’s a blast for academics because she has built the story onto so many levels,” said Travis Prinzi. Mr. Prinzi is working on a master’s degree in secondary English education from the University of Rochester and a book about how traditional fairy tales influence and are influenced by culture. He’s scheduled to talk about Christian symbols in the Potter saga.

One of the Keynote speakers, Dr. Henry Jenkins, is also interviewed for the piece.

Dr. Jenkins of MIT, for instance, is fascinated by how mass culture has been fragmented into minicultures, facilitated by the Internet. For him, the Potter phenomenon is a perfect example. The interaction between the author and her fans is evidence of how online access affects that relationship, he said. He points to the epilogue of the seventh book, where Ms. Rowling gives details about the future of major characters. That, he said, was her controlling response to fan-based speculations. “She slams the door on their fingers in the last pages of the book,” he said.

Portus 2008 will be held July 10-13 at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas, Texas.

16 Responses to Reminder: Portus 2008 This Weekend in Dallas, Texas

Avatar Image says:

I LIVE in Dallas and i just happen to be traveling to North C and Florida on those days! Lol that annoys me that i couldn’t register…but sounds awesome and i hope the people that go enjoy it!

Avatar Image says:

I live in Houston just a couple hours away. I never realized it was going to be in Dallas, or else I would have plans to go this weekend.

Avatar Image says:

ahhhhhhhhh! isn’t this just great ! I live in dallas, and i just got back from mexico, on a trip and boy did i get here just in time !

Avatar Image says:

I’m going! I’ll be speaking! If you’re going, check out Madam Puddifoot’s on Friday Morning in the Eidelweiss room! We’ll be discussing the fandom, shipping, and of course, lit comparison! Canon pairings only, so you can avoid the Harry and Hermione people. We won’t be talking about them.

Avatar Image says:

I’m Jen from PotterFicWeekly and I’ll be attending! I just wish TLC was going to be performing! I have been dying for you guys to come to TX!

Avatar Image says:

WOW! I want to go so badly but I’m looking forward to LeakyCon next year! Whooo! YAY!

Avatar Image says:

I live in Dallas, but we’ll be in Florida this weekend. I was so sad when I found out the dates conflicted.

Avatar Image says:

I live in Dallas but $220… whew!

Avatar Image says:

I’m another Dallasite. There’s no way I could afford to go, but for Jim Dale, I am definitely tempted. That would still be $75 a person (meaning $150 for me and my wife) though, so there’s no way I can swing that….

Man…...

Avatar Image says:

I will be there! I’ve been waiting almost a year for this. But I wish Pottercast would’ve been podcasting, that would’ve made it perfect.

Avatar Image says:

i would go but theres a dumb age limit

I love in Dallas but I ain’t payin’ that much. :P SHEESH

I ive in Dallas but I ain’t payin’ that much. :P SHEESH

szia

Avatar Image says:

I live in the Dallas area too but I can’t afford the gas it will take to get to the hotel, let alone the admission fee. BTW, the paper quoted is the Dallas Morning News, not the Dallas News. Hope anyone going enjoys the sights and stays out of the heat!

Avatar Image says:

And just for clarification…my book is on Harry Potter itself, with reference to fairy tale/culture studies.

Portus was fun, and I think most of us did manage to stay out of the heat.

Write a Reply or Comment