The HP Alliance Presents “One World, One Dream!”

Aug 14, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

The HP Alliance has a new episode of its Potterwatch podcast out today – click here to get to the feed’s iTunes listing to subscribe! You can also listen to the episode by direct-downloading it here!

This episode, “One World, One Dream!” asks Harry Potter fans to help embrace Olympic/TriWizard goals of unity, by working on behalf of people in Darfur, Burma and Tibet. Listen and spread the word! And to find out how you can take action, visit The HP Alliance Web site or email [email protected] to throw an HPA house party. Also remember to watch Mia Farrow during the Olympics this year (click here) if you wish to peacefully protest China’s aid to the genocide in Darfur.

Remember, the HPA has a new podcast feed, and you can subscribe to it as well as listen to this episode right here!

22 Responses to The HP Alliance Presents “One World, One Dream!”

Avatar Image says:

This all sounds like a worthy cause! This is a great effort! First? Oh and… WHERE IS POTTERCAST?

Avatar Image says:

I’ve been watching Mia’s Darfur olympics and they’re just heartbreaking :( I just don’t understand how the IOC could allow such a government as China’s to host an event meant to symbolize unity and peace.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think people should use the Olympics as a means to promote a political end, no matter how good their intentions.

Avatar Image says:

Europe medium’s news report about Chinese is no impartial.

Avatar Image says:

The child who comes from Iraqi is suffering hardships, our soldier is really criminal.

Avatar Image says:

it’s quite good for someone to continue their daydream

Avatar Image says:

Anne look back through history, the olympics have continually been used as political protest, in fact almost every year there is a protest of some kind or major political significance synonomous with the games. Because it seems the entire world is watching, it produces an opportunity to stage an opinion that may not have been voiced before. It has never been against the olympics themselves.

Avatar Image says:

Have you all been to Tibet? If you haven’t, just shut up your mouths! You know nothing about what actually happened since the media you get informations from have no intention to know the real China!

You can comment whenever you want, but you can not deny the truth that China has done a successful job in hosting the Olympics!

Avatar Image says:

When you are criticising a nation or a government, please think over if your own country is doing well or not. The Olympics is for gathering, sharing, unity and peace, but not for political purpose. We Chinese have the right to be respected and we’ve been doing so much to host the game succesfully with all our heart into it. London is the next to have the opportunity to hold such a brand, I think you reall want to be respected and supported, right? We feel so sorry to see that you are holding such a protest. As Potter fans, we should unite and share. When meeting problems and divergences, we ought to try to settle them together in a peaciful way, but not to dispraise now and then. China is a good country, although she has all kinds of problems to be solved, we Chinese people are doing our best to show a whole new China to world and we ask for esteem!

Avatar Image says:

Wildly off topic (sorry), new HBP pictures on trading cards: http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/larger-half-blood-prince-trading-cards-scans-58190/

Avatar Image says:

When a government restricts its citizens of, for example, simple resources of information like the internet, there’s a problem- if you haven’t anything to hide, why restrict at all? I respect the Chinese people (as well as some of my own friends who are Chinese) but not some of the actions of its government.

Avatar Image says:

I’m a Chinese Potter fan and I’m really shocked as well as sorry to read this. Before doing this so-called ” working on behalf of people in Darfur, Burma and Tibet ” thing,have you ever asked yourselves that do you really know these palces? I dare say that some of you even do not know where they are. Actually, you are just led to the wrong direction by your media. During the past 7 years, we Chinese did a lot of (much more than you can imagine) things in order to make the Olympics successful. But instead of enjoying the wonderful Games and trying to know us more, you spend so much time to spread these unreal things about China. Tibet has changed a lot in the past 50 years, and most of the people there appreciate their lives in Tibet! The Olympic Games is for athletes and all the peace-loving people in the whole world but not politicians. I hope you can see the efforts we have done. Please do not be Rita Skeeters.

Avatar Image says:

as a Chinese HP fan ,I am rather disappointed and ashamed of you TLC for your prejudice against China and your blind credulity about the untrue reports via thoses misleading media source,and it’s so pathetic that you try in vain to gloss over your prejudice by “criticism of the Chinese government’s policies”but ” speak with respect toward the Chinese people”.I have more than one Tibetan friends myself and they are all so happy about their current lives ,I don’t think they have any needs to tell lies.So do your own job and stop criticizing something you don’t know at all.

Avatar Image says:

All of the world have seen what our chinese did and also believe what we will do then must be a great success!!!

Why don’t we ignore the “bad-smell mouth”

Cosidering it as a crazy person are showing his/her fool!!!

“One World ,One World” is the goal we chinese people show to the world !!!

Speak out from yours is really a big shame!!!

SPORT IS JUST SPORT ,THERE IS NO BUSINESS OF POLITIC!!!

Avatar Image says:

奥运非政治化,请不要借奥运的名义来为政治开辟新的战场! “同一个世界,同一个梦想”是北京奥运会的口号,我们现在已经用中国的力量来证明了这一切。但是我们不希望看到我们关于体育的美好愿景主题被用在一个反华活动上。 如果你没有来过中国,请不要评论他!中国政府的能力已经在这次的四川大地震中给世界了说明,我们的政府是为人民服务的! 台湾、西藏是中国不可分割的一部分,它们自古都是中国的领土。不容别人用任何意图分裂! 哈利波特系列小说对于任何人来说都是美好的事务,它所宣扬的关于爱的力量是我们所倡导的,但是中国的哈迷们不希望一些别有用心之人借哈利波特的名义来达到分裂别人国家主权的事情。

I think Cynthia.Wu has a point…. =p

Avatar Image says:

Good to hear. I can’t help but wonder why we haven’t heard anything about Guantanamo Bay….

I feel it necessary to respond to some of the things posted, and I use my usual disclaimer: these are merely my opinions and are not meant to be a personal attack on anyone.

Well, I believe that the IOC gave China the Summer Games this year in 200 or 2001, while the genocide in Darfur began in 2005, so at the time they wouldn’t know what’s happening now. Of course, China was still doing some terrible things, but the IOC isn’t exactly too picky about that. The Soviet Union and its sattelites hosted quite a few games.

The Olympics has pretty much historically been used for political propaganda. 1936, the Nazis hosted it trying to prove their so-called “Aryan Master Race” was superior, but that backfired of course. (Is it worth mentioning that they started the tradition of the Olympic Torch?) Everytime it was hosted by the USA or the USSR during was too prove that one was superior to the other. Sure, it’s supposed to be about Peace and Unity, et cetera, but that doesn’t really mean much. They’ve said for about two centuries that America is the land of oppurtunity and freedom and equality. Anyone who believes this is quite ignorant. Now we abuse human rights! It’s pathetic! Our president was basically chosen by the Supreme Court! More people were against him than for him! It’s pathetic!

Not sure what was being said about Iraq….It seems to be saying that a soldier is a criminal? Well…some are….I mean, there are definitely those who have shot civilians…I believe it was Marines in 2004? And some others more recently? And the fact that convicted felons are hired.

Anyone who says that China has done a poor job of hosting so far is delusional. Only slip ups might be having the government tell a child she isn’t cute enough to be shown internationally or choosing to host it in such a heavily polluted area, but that doesn’t seem to be much of an issue so far. The opening ceremony was amazing.

China isn’t a bad country by my measure. It’s the government….I mean, I don’t think America is a bad country despite what I’ve said above, I just believe that it has been under terrible governernment. Need I go into the politicization of the Department of Justice, which is supposed to be non-partisan? Denial of global warming? Human Rights Abuse? Forged documents for the invasion of Iraq? Deregulation responsible for the mortgage crisis? Tax breaks to only the wealthiest? Attempts to privatize Social Security? Evidence that 9/11 would have been preventable if only the President had read a report? Converting a budget surplus into a $3,000,000,000,000 plus debt? And for the House, refusing to impeach the President after the lies? Dick Cheney?

Remember, I am simply stating my views, I mean nothing personal to anyone.

*With the exceptions of George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, perhaps John McCain, and perhaps Nancy Pelosi.

Avatar Image says:

Well said, Helios Lightra.

Avatar Image says:

Not meaning any serious offence to the people of China, but….Considering that your government approves what you can read, watch, and hear as far as news goes, has it ever occurred to you that they aren’t telling you everything? In other words, that they have lied to you?

Avatar Image says:

我想中国政府并没有打算通过本届奥运会来达到任何政治目的! 中国现在以开放的姿态来向世界表达中国、中国人民的好客之情,我们用自己渊源五千年的历史来向世界证明。 请不要将这次中国举办的奥运会与1936年纳粹德国举办的奥运会相提并论,两者之间并没有可比性。 奥运会不应该被政治化,那么哈利波特应该被政治化吗? 利用网络这个平台,利用全球喜爱哈利波特的哈迷们来宣传政治目的这样是否是妥当的? 如果只是个人意见,请将这些新闻放在你的私人博客或者其他私人网站里,这里是为更多人推广哈利波特的,而不是推广政治!

Avatar Image says:

Really Cynthia… I was kidding before, about the “good point” thing… I can’t understand a word you’re writing!

Don’t you have a way to write with ocidental types? Otherwise you’re not making much of a point at all…

Avatar Image says:

Pseudonym,have you consider that maybe you’re the one who’s really lied to? You really haven’t ever been to China, I can tell from your words, otherwise you’ll know that Chinese are actually more free to read,watch,and hear the news than you think. How many of you can actually speak Chinese? Have it occurred to you that whatever you read,watch,and hear about China has been TRANSLATED? Have you get any good information about China? Not much, right? Do you think a gouvernment as terrible as you think the one of China is could lead a country as big as China? So, the Amierican gouvernment is not lying to its citizens? The British governmrnt isn’t lying to Britishes? I don’t mean anything personal,but I ask you to think twice before you state your opinions.

Write a Reply or Comment