EA Remains Undecided on HBP Video Game Release Date Change

115

Aug 18, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Electronic Arts, the makers of the Harry Potter video games, have confirmed directly to TLC that the company is still in the process of re-evaluating a possible new release date for the “Half-Blood Prince” game, despite the move by WB to postpone the movie until July 17 of next year. An official statement from EA reads: “We are making a great game that Harry Potter fans will really enjoy—we are evaluating the impact of the movie date change.” The release date for the HBP video game still reads November 13, 2008 on the official website, and we will update should there be any further developments with this matter.

There has been rampant speculation of course that the game would be delayed until next year with the release of the movie, given the previous statements from EA that the game closely mirrors the events seen in the HBP film. IGN had speculated on the potential move by EA, noting the company “now faces two hurdles if it still intends to ship Half-Blood Prince this November. First, it’ll be a game without a movie, a licensing faux pas that software publishers try to avoid at all costs. And second, EA’s title may feature content from the movie that the publisher could be contractually obligated to keep secret until the film itself debuts, thereby forcing the software giant to remove the content or sit tight with its Potter games until next July.”

In case you missed it due to all the outcry over the HBP movie release date change, be sure to check out our video galleries for the second trailer for the game, and our image galleries for stills from the video game.

38 Responses to EA Remains Undecided on HBP Video Game Release Date Change

first!

Avatar Image says:

They should keep the release date the same in order to “pacify” us…

Avatar Image says:

Ouch, it might be better if they wait.

They probably have the game done by now… but maybe they could take a little more time and make sure the game is exactly how they want it to be?

Avatar Image says:

This was the only thing that was going to pacify me. I actually emailed EA this morning and they wouldn’t give me a firm yes or no. However, EA may find that they do better this way with all the die hard fans getting the game now and then a second ‘hit’ on the same game when the film comes out next July. I will be extremely disappointed if this game is delayed as well. EA have to consider the Christmas market – this will have more of an impact on them sales wise than Warner Bros. They may also consider the people who buy their games and not want any bad publicity like money-grabbing Warner Bros are now getting and release the game on schedule. If Warner Bros. influence their decision I will be furious. Fingers crossed for a November release!

Avatar Image says:

Game looks great. I hope that this one is more focused on quality of gameplay in addition to the graphics. I have a feeling that EA will delay the game with the movie because I don’t believe they will take the chance of releasing it with no movie publicity. However, like someone said above, they could have two marketing potentials: the first with the hardcore fans and the secondtime around with everyone else who sees the movie. Having the game out in November would only mildly appease my want for the movie, though I doubt that I will even have that.

Avatar Image says:

It looks like Warner Bros didn’t think out their plan properly. I hope EA games release the game in November as planned.

Avatar Image says:

If you consider the cycle from movie-to-licensing-to-production-to-shipping-to-stores and sales, this cycle should be well into production of licensed products and shipping to the USofA. Then they must be shipped to stores. WB not only screwed the HP fans, but really stuck it to the licensees of the HP products who will have warehouses full of products with the movie delayed 8 months. Tons of product with no promotion, specifically, the movie that makes the fans want the products. If I were a licensee, my lawyers would have already filed Billions of dollars in lawsuits for breech of contract. It’s not like the movie “Titannic” when the release date was moved several times to allow completion of the movie, WB has stated that the movie is finished. But they are going to shelve it for a better release time. The lawsuits will eat the expected bonus income with just the legal fees and turn the bottom line negative with all the compensation due the licensees. I think WB has really jumped into a bucket of sh.. uhh, make that a bucket of poo.

Avatar Image says:

The should keep their release date. They’ll make a bigger profit due to people being too impatient for the extra wait.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sad about it, but I think they will have to postpone the game release as well.

The game is probably as closely connected to the movie as the OOTP was and WB are certainly not going to let people wach all the scenes from the movie this way and even half a year sooner…

Avatar Image says:

I think they might wait as well since the game might spoil most of the movie, especially if they have DD’s death in it somehow. I guess I could wait for the game. I wouldn’t be too upset if they pushed that back, it’s the darn movie I want. I can’t see WB allowing them to release the game like 7-8 months ahead of the movie.

Avatar Image says:

i think they should have kept the release date, more would buy it because they’re desperate for some HBP. although it was never gonna happen after WB changed the release date. GRR. im still angry at WB

HBP has been a major let down so far with date changes, totally killed the excitement D:

Avatar Image says:

They should keep the same date, from a profit point of view. Because I don’t usually buy the games, but I probably would this time if it came out in november in order to see what stuff they’ve left in the film etc. And I’m sure some other fans think the same.

Avatar Image says:

I think Phoenix1946 hit it right on the head with WB’s move to postpone. I really don’t think they thought about the money they would be making their partners spend to make the same move (storage and re-marketing costs). But then again, they have made enough with the past HP movies (not to mention Dark Knight this summer) to do pretty much whatever they want.

I will be really sad if EA moves the game release considering I’m almost done replaying the others. But I totally see why they would have to contractualy, sadly I do see that.

Avatar Image says:

They’d release it in november.i mean let us have at least that f**ing game! and i guess EA could even make more profit from this:for fans the game is a good xmas present and then when hbp comes it can be another ‘hit’.

Avatar Image says:

I can see EA being hit a bit financially if they wait till next summer and also if they keep the date. Because with the film, it gives EA a bit of free publicity and advertising. So if they stay with November they don’t have the film to help them sell. But if they wait, it costs them money too. I think WB didn’t think about this. This decision to move to next summer, could bring them lawsuits from their licensee’s. It all depeneds on the kind of contract they have with them. Though I’m no lawyer, I think the lincensee companies could sue for loss of earnings. Especially since they have to hold on to products in their warehouses for another 8 months.

Avatar Image says:

If the video game was supposed to be released on Nov 13 then it was already before the movie’s opening date, so they should stick to it. Now its just several months before, instead of a week. The whole controversy of the postponing the movie is a lot of publicity already for them. I think they will have even better sales if they still release it in November. The holiday market is important for games and I think actually not having the movie out will turn out to be an advantage. I would love to see them stick to their original schedule. Those guys worked so hard to meet the deadline and then Warner Bros does this to them? Not cool. Go ahead and release it!

Avatar Image says:

I think we should wait for the game, and so hopefully WB/EA will allow them to put more work into it, as OOTP wasn’t great….

Avatar Image says:

EA needs this game this quarter. Just like WB is moving the movie for money, EA really needs to keep it’s original release date for money.

Avatar Image says:

Of course it would be nice if they spent longer on the game, but have you any idea of how much it costs to keep a team that big going fulltime for another 8 months? That ain’t gonna happen. Whether they release in Nov or July, the game will wrap on schedule – like the film will. I personally think that, if they’re contractually allowed to, they ought to go with November and plug the hole left by the movie and then bring out a special edition or something in July. It could actually work in their favour. Just think how many HBP fans will buy this game in November. I think it all boils down to whether WB will allow the game’s release prior to the film. Having said that, what can be so secret anyway? The books/story are already out there. I can’t see the game damaging the film’s income, so I hope they go for Nov.

Avatar Image says:

Well, at least for a game you can always go in and change or tweak stuff that isn’t quite right. At least if the push the game back as well, it can actually be a more polished product. I want in November, o’course, but I wouldn’t mind it being released next Summer AND being it being better.

Avatar Image says:

it will almost certainly arrive when scheduled: y’all are forgetting the importance of the holidays for sales!

Zivlok, you can always go back and tweak a movie too. It doesnt happen often, true, but films are often re-edited, scenes added/deleted and in one very famous instance new footage shot (giving us the classic ending to Casablanca). there have been films hastily ‘tweaked’ between the premiere and the general release. so, it happens infrequently…but it does happen

so, as i’ve said several times in recent days, that is my hope: with an extra 11 months, go back over HBP, make it perfect both as a stand alone film, and as a crucial segment in a series of moveis. don’t expect that to happen, just wish it would

Avatar Image says:

Please don’t delay it please. I can’t wait for the movie but if they don’t return it I will be pleased with the game because like it said, it is close to the movie. So pleaseeeeeeeeeee don’t be delayed.

Avatar Image says:

i have just seen the trailer. If they delay this I am definitely going to die. It will be the best game ever. Did you see those movements??? I can’t wait for this game!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad there’s some non-reactionary discussion on this one. Knowing a little bit about gaming, I would imagine that the game is complete by now, has been tested, approved by console manufacturers and is in the final stages of language translation and production. I hope EA and every other company involved in producing HP merchandise sues Warner Bros. for loss of earnings. Warehouses will be stocked high with stuff all waiting for the anticipated rush at Christmas and to have this delayed and held in warehouses will cause mayhem and loss of earnings. Think of the calendars for example – all based on Half Blood Prince – with scenes from a film that is not to be released until 7 months into the next calendar year, will WB allow these calendars to be released – time will tell, but Warner Bros. have really shot themselves in the foot – what were they thinking.

Avatar Image says:

keeping the game date IS a good way to “pacify the fans”. because games today are such movie spoilers that playing the game (or watching bits of it being played on youtube) is almost as good as seeing the movie anyway.

this whole movie thing could easily be solved with a compromise.. if november is too soon, then push it back to january. march even. its harry effing potter. it doesnt matter what time of year is better for family sales or whatever BS they tried to choke up, its gunna be huge nomatter what. and i think they know that… mostly, they’re just doing this because they know they can. nobody is gunna boycott harry potter.

Avatar Image says:

I feel bad for EA. They bust their butts to get the game out by November and then they get the rug pulled out from under them. This date change is not great for them because they wanted this game in the stores during Christmas.

Avatar Image says:

Phoenix1946 is exactly right. Making such a move at the last minute is a complete disaster for every company who has manufactured merchandise for the movie. And we knows there is loads of Potter merchandise in every form. The whole move stinks, it makes absolutely no-one except WB happy.

Avatar Image says:

Goes to show that WB was not thinking of anyone else. Not EA, not the theaters and certainly not the fans.

Avatar Image says:

if this game has the abysmal gameplay of the previous games, then i hope they take advantage of the delay and spend some more time making this one really good. the others could have been okay if the controls weren’t so terrible. they spent too much time trying to make it look like hogwarts, and totally skimped on the mechanics and fun of the games.

Avatar Image says:

At least give the disappointed fans a game to play this November. Fans are feeling used and abused by big money movie franchises to make more money from tloyal fans of the books and movies. The delay of the movie and possible delay from the game takes away from the love of the Harry Potter books and movies where truth, courage, friends and honesty means so much. Warner Brothers is acting like the Minisitry of Magic whom in the HP books no one trusts anymore.

Avatar Image says:

see,this is what i mean. WB is acting like they are the big dogs,that they control everything. EA, release the game when you want. Just watch, JKR is the big dog and she controls it all,so wait until we see what she has to say,and the movie will go back to the original date. Just wait people. It will all turn out ok.

Avatar Image says:

I think the best situation would certainly be if they could take advantage of the delay and make the game AWESOME, but like Claire mentioned, the game is probably in a state of lockdown where no further changes can be made to it. They will probably have to sit on it until the movie comes out – I was in a similar situation on a game that I worked on. EA probably also has their next project lined up for the coming months, and won’t have enough resources to make any significant changes to HBP. :(

Avatar Image says:

I really hope they release the game in November. I think if the WB lets them they will. Though if they do wait until next year I may have a Wii so I’m kinda good either way :D

Avatar Image says:

keep the game release on nov 2008! let the game spoil the movie… BOYCOTT the movie…it’s their BAD for moving it next year

Avatar Image says:

I,The Bravest Sorcerer, Harry Potter ordering EA to Release the Half Blood Prince Game on Nov 14,2008. Don’t worry my dear fans, cheers !!!!!!!!! And I will kick on WBs butt, I swear.

Avatar Image says:

they shud release it in november gives a well good look about wat we gonna see in da movies curse you waner bros

Avatar Image says: lavidjioAvatar Image says: