Printing Press Replica for “Deathly Hallows” Film

123

Sep 30, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

There is an article online from the Daily Record which reports that a ‘10-ton Cossar flat bed web newspaper press’ is set to be replicated for the “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” film. The paper reports, press owner David Phillips was approached by film producers to help develop a replica of the 100-year-old printing press. Noting the level of secrecy surrounding all aspects of the production, Mr. Phillips said: “I have no idea what part it plays in the movie because the set in Watford was like Fort Knox, security was that tight.” In the novel, a printing press used by Xenophilius Lovegood does appear, and it possible that those scenes are under consideration for inclusion in the seventh film. However, this is very much unconfirmed, as Harry Potter film producer David Heyman told TLC recently, even he has not yet read the script for the second half of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”

44 Responses to Printing Press Replica for “Deathly Hallows” Film

Avatar Image says:

Its the Lovegood’s printing press!

Avatar Image says:

Lovegood had a printing press in DH.

Great minds!

Avatar Image says:

Yep agreed! And thats fantastic news to know the Lovegood scene will be in. Loved that whole chapter, the discovery of Luna’s wall, the story of the 3 brothers (I onder if they do that fable visually?), Lovegood’s betrayal and the escape. So who will play Xenophilius? How about Bob Hoskins?

Avatar Image says:

Maybe this means that Xeno’s house will be in the first DH movie, since the script for the second half isn’t even completed yet. That would make the split at a later point than halfway through the book.

Avatar Image says:

I think Eddie Izzard would be great as Xenophilius!

Avatar Image says:

gotta be the lovegoods. that scene with xenophilious was actually the scariest part of all DH for me. i mean, i can picture it. dan walking up the stairs while we hear xeno babble in the backroung, and he looks up and see his picture on lunas wall and then the camera dives-dust, made bed, no clothes in closet—FREAKY!!!

Avatar Image says:

AWESOME! They’re already starting pre-production on the Deathly Hallows movie!!! I’m so excited!!

@ Taylor:

The scariest scene for me was the Bathilda Bagshot scene with Nagini hiding inside the corpse. It was so dark, smelly, cold, and dusty. It’s just soo creepy. I hope that scene is in the movie.

Avatar Image says:

I agree, it must be the Lovegoods – however, it could be used in the Ministry scene. In the book there was a crowd of people printing out propaganda flyers. However, it could be changed to allow the printing press to do the same.

Avatar Image says:

For those interested in what the press looks like: http://www.metaltype.co.uk/photos/photo68.shtml. I used to work with old printing presses, but had never heard of this one. It’s a monster!

I’d love to see this in the film actually chugging away.

Avatar Image says:

Ooooohhhh, they’re going to put in the trip to Xeno’s!! YAY! I hope that is true, I was afraid they would cut all that out and have Kreacher tell them the tales of the DHs or something.

Hi, Wolfie!! :)

Avatar Image says:

I hope the press is Xeno’s!

Poor Xeno. He obviously wanted to support Harry to begin with, when it didn’t cost too much to do so. But once they took Luna from him he was cowed into doing ANYTHING that might keep her safe, even if that meant handing Harry over to be killed. Once I realized what he was up to, I found him intensely unlikeable—but in a very disturbing way, because I wondered if I wouldn’t do exactly the same thing in his place.

Avatar Image says:

the press replica could be used for both the ministry and Xeno’s house, too early to be sure of anything at this point whenit comes to the DH movies, BTW Mimblewimble just because they are getting the replica and possibly filmit soon after its completed, which will take a while to do, it doesn’t nessasarlily mean that XENo willbe in DH part 1 when the filmed the LOTR films they filmed some parts for ROTK before they had finished filiming for FOTR, so its way too early to make guesses on when this printing press will appear or where, as for the split i just don’t know yet

Xenophilius Lovegood = Billy Connelly

Avatar Image says:

Oh No! Why do i get the feeling that there going to Stop the first part while Harry and Hermione are trying to Escape from Lunas?

Avatar Image says:

When you consider that Peeves had been in the original movie (played by Rick Mayall) until just before it was release he was cut out, you realise you can’t say anything for certain. The press is probably intended for the scene at Xeno’s but it could be used for a montage at The Daily Prophet, or the scene at the ministry, printing fliers. It wouldn’t be the first time the film was different from the book.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know what’s happened, but I don’t get a kick out of the movie news, pics and all anymore… Am I the only one who lost interest on the movies?... Kind of sad.

Avatar Image says:

I guess we’re all unanimous on this being Xeno’s Printing Press…how cool is that! @Kranendonkey: Don’t panic! Take a deeep breath! It’s gonna be alright. No matter WHERE it is. BTW: I’ll bet Mr Weasley would LOVE to get his hands on this. It’s just right, for someone like Xeno, to use! “Everything old, is new, again!”LOL

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know about “the only one…” but you may be in the minority….I think we’re all kinda excited about DH.

Avatar Image says:

Thats true Tim, but DH is being treated quite differently, Its 2 X apprx 2.5hrs films! So there is a much more larger canvas to fill this time. The Xenophilius chapter was one of the key chapters that actually drove the plot along in the book, Xenophilius makes for a good on screen character in terms of potential entertainment value (ie eccentric, yet slightly shifty because of his hidden agenda etc). It was also one of the most exciting chapters so I would be more certain that at least we would see this press machine in here. Of course nothing is for certain as you say but the odds are high on this one methinks!

Avatar Image says:

I really, really think that Tom Baker should be cast as Xenophilius! He’s got the fluffy hair, the moony eyes, and the ability to seem completely dotty! And it would so continue the Doctor Who connectivity!

Avatar Image says:

found a picture of what to expect:

it must be for the printing press of the Quibbler of course, althought the Daily Prophet looms great, no scene at the printing-works of it is used in the story. But imagine this beast in your living room, stinking, steaming and noisy. perfect for a scene at the Lovegoods… ... with Rowan Atkinson ( Mr.Bean) as Mr.Lovegood please.

Avatar Image says:

omg, i’m soo excited for DH! :)

Avatar Image says:

I really want Patrick Stewart cast as Aberforth (before they cast Michael Gambon, I wanted Stewart for Dumbledore).

But, if they won’t cast him as Aberforth, I think he’d do a great job as Xenophilius!

Avatar Image says:

bummer picture link did not came through try again http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/kamion/cossarflatbed.jpg

Avatar Image says:

Triofan that is a good choice. there was however a minor appearence of Aberforth in OotP ( including a goat), don’t know if the use the same guy.

Avatar Image says:

Carol- No you’re not the only one. I like the actors and everything; even Gambon who everyone gives a hard time. I just don’t like the fact that as the books they’re adapting have gotten longer, the respective film adaptations have gotten shorter. It takes more than an hour and a half to relate even a condensed version of an 800+ page book. Goblet and every movie that followed has been far too rushed and choppy. Now even those who don’t read the books can tell there’s a whole lot missing. I’m not even too optimistic about the DH movies. Why bother explaining all the stuff they cut out already. I just don’t see them having any of the impact the book has. Just like OotP didn’t have any of the impact the book had. Beautiful but dry. Well… I’m still going to go see the movies.

I do like some of the suggestions for Xeno (Izzard, Connoly, Atkinson) but I always kind of pictured David Bowie for some reason. His eyes are a bit too shrewd looking though, they need someone who can be more spacey.
Avatar Image says:

Anybody know why my post went all screwy?

And no I’m mot talking about the content I’m talking about that last line stretching.

ravenclawguy

Yeah but if Heyman hasn’t even read the script for the second movie, I doubt they would be creating a printing press for the second movie. Of course the Xeno scene is one that could be easily moved around. They may have moved it so that Xeno’s house comes earlier in the first film, so the split could still be at the Silver Doe or thereabouts. That way the Hallows would be introduced closer to the beginning. I just don’t see how the printing press could be in the second movie if Heyman hasn’t even seen the script yet.

Avatar Image says:

I guess most of the fans would like to see the movies more in keeping with the books. Of course this would be tremendously expensive and I’m not a director/producer but the time involved would be extensive. But I may be the only one who thinks that, even if it was done over the course of time, a canon movie would be something to treasure.

Avatar Image says:

Some great casting suggestions for X.L emerging here, I think the Patrick Stewart sounds the best though Izzard could well work. I think I scrap my Hoskins idea in favour Patrick now. Though just though of Ray Winston being another option. The important thing is that we have to feel a conflict of emotions towards XL, anger at his betrayal but at the sametime sympathy for his fear of losing his daughter, his only love left in his life. Poor Xenophilius. I agree with Arithmancer, this was a very powerful scene and yeah it does make you wonder what the hell would we have done if we were in his shoes. Rationally, our actions most be for the greater good. But can we possibly act so rational when asked to sacrifice our daughter? I for one dont think I will have such will power and bravery to make that choice, I may well have betrayed Harry but I like to think I wouldn’t. I dont think I would know unless I am faced with the dilemma. God, what a situation to be in. The more I think about it, the more certain I think Stove should keep this in. Its too powerful to leave out. It all relates to the running theme of making choices (ie between what is right, and what is easy)

Avatar Image says:

Kaimon, trioman, yeah that’s right, Aberforth did appear fleetingly in OOTP just before the kids start their DA recruitment. So lets start a campaign for Patrick stewart for Xenophilius because he is one of my favourite British actors!

I also just remembered Hoskins being on Jonathon Ross who also had Rowling on the show. Hoskins joked about wanting to have a part and Jo said there could be a character he can play that hasnt appeared in the films yet and he is a wizard. I think she might have been thinking of Xenophilius at the time!

Avatar Image says:

cool! I cant wait to see the lovegoods house.

Avatar Image says:

@ Leif Longbottom That is how I feel too…. I was talking to my husband (he is a major LOTR fan) and he asked me what book I like best and my answer was HP but when it comes to movies I think Peter Jackson did a much better job keeping true to the story than they are doing with Harry Potter and i is kind of unfair… it sucks really. Don’t get me wrong. i still love the movies and the actors are doing an awesome job, but i wish we had someone as passionate as Peter Jackson has always been about Tolkien’s work behind the Harry Potter movies.

Avatar Image says:

And people, don’t go all: ” don’t compare HP and LOTR again” on me…. because I’m not! I’m comparing two cinematographic adaptations, ok? Let’s get this bit clear.

Avatar Image says:

Cool, a 100 year od printing press replica in dh movie! Cool- that’s beast! I am kinda getting the vibe dh is going to be the best one yet, it’s going to be epic. I can’t wait to get to see what lovegoods house looks like, there so many visual stuff in the last one, batte of hogs, lovegoods attack on the house, the battle on the motorbike, the wedding attack, the lake…. tere’s so more… ohh and the dragon seen at gringotts. Bring on dh!!!

Avatar Image says:

Carol- Comparing the LOTR adaptations to the HP adaptations makes a lot more sense than comparing the Twilight book series to the HP Book series which everyone seems happy to do so don’t worry about that.

But I think you hit the nail right on the head there. I think in another generation when we get a great director/producer who grew up with the HP series and has that passion for it; that’s when we’ll get well made HP movies that cover the defining moments and aren’t made for the ADD afflicted. Do the bags at WB really think HP fans are so sophomoric that we can’t sit there for more than an hour & a half?

It’s too bad because they really did strike gold with all the talent that has gravitated to the movies.

It’s why I wasn’t too broken up over the movie delay; especially after hearing about all that’s been cut out. I don’t feel that urgency I felt to see the LotR movies or to read Deathly Hallows. The only kind urgency I feel is to make them just get it over with already; I want to see the re-makes in this lifetime.

Avatar Image says:

That’s interesting news. It does sound like they are gone to include the Trio visiting Xeno Lovegood in the DH movies. You can watch a video of the Cossar flatbed web newspaper press at this link:

Avatar Image says:

@ Leif Longbottom – That would be awesome…. * dreamy* I hope i get to see that too! :P

Avatar Image says:

I saw that Jonathan Ross show too I think on the internet where JK thought of a part for Hoskins but I thought she might of meant Slughorn for him. But I do see Xeno as being short, no taller then Luna and very spacey so I don’t get how any of you think of Patrick Stewart for that part. What part did he play that made you think of him as spacey. I definetly see him as Aberforth both gruff and angry but caring about Dobby and all.

Avatar Image says:

Patrick Stewart is very versatile and a great British actor, Aurora. He has played all sorts of roles effectively including angry/gruff roles such as Captain Abram in Moby Dick and grumpy old man etc. Thats why some of us think he could he could hack Xeno. Being short or the right hight shouldn’t be essential. Yes it would be nice to find an actor who has the exact looks and hight (such as Evanna for Luna) but I rather they concentrate on a getting the best suitable actor for the role. As for being spacey, any good actor should be able to do spacey.

Avatar Image says:

Patrick Stewart can do Abeforth with dignity and authority, Billy Connelly is a good one too for XL, Rowan Atkinson is too slap-stick and too young (yes I know make-up has been invented to age people). My first choice for XL is Christopher Lloyd. Find him on IMDB when he was in “Back to the Future”. Crazy hair, crazy eyes, caring, and totally animated. ANd Bob Hoskins was slated for Slughorn, still think he looks more like him than the current one…

Avatar Image says:

Even though they showed “Aberforth” in OOTP (complete with running goat) – I still think they could cast Patrick Stewart for DH. The actor was never addressed as Aberforth in the film.

Stewart opposite Gambon’s Dumbledore could be explosive (especially they have flashbacks with them looking younger and fighting over Ariana). As Xeno, I could see Stewart have great chemistry with Evanna’s Luna. I have no doubt that could play spacey – though Aberforth’s gruff, but soft demenour is definitely my first choice.

Whether it’s Aberforth or Xenophilius, I think Stewart would do a superb job. I know he’s even mentioned before that he would want to be a part of the movies, considering how so much British talent has been cast in the movies – he feels left out!

Write a Reply or Comment