Dan Radcliffe on Dumbledore's Funeral for Half-Blood Prince, Emma Watson on Deathly Hallows Split

HBP Film
January 01, 2009, 08:44 AM

Happy 2009! To start our new year off, we have two new interviews from cast members of the Harry Potter films. First up: Entertainment Weekly is previewing the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by releasing a close up photo of an almost kiss between Harry (Dan Radcliffe) and Ginny (Bonnie Wright). There is a short article as well, featuring  a new interview with Dan, where he mentions filming Dumbledore's funeral. The piece reads: "Shooting Dumbledore's funeral was another tough scene for Radcliffe, as it took on the personality of an Irish wake thanks to some not-so-mournful extras: ''Because there's a lot of people there, it's one of those things that takes on a party atmosphere.'' As fans will recall, earlier reports had stated this scene was not in the film.

Also Dan comments on the budding romance of Ginny and Harry, by saying ''Harry's got a real thing for her, and that is slightly odd, because when we met, I was 11 and she was 9, and she was only ever Ron's little sister,'' says Radcliffe, now 19. ''But that all changed, and here we are snogging.''

MTV has the second bit of news, this in the form of a new interview with Emma Watson, who comments on the split of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the two movies. Noting she still has not yet received the scripts for the film which is due to begin next month in mid-February, she says she does not know where the break will take place: “I don’t know,” she replied. “I am as intrigued as you are. I am waiting at the moment to receive the script. It’s a tough call. I’m sure it will be some cruel cliffhanger.”

On leaving the role of Hermione behind after filming completes for the Deathly Hallows films, Emma Watson reflected by noting “It’s really mixed feelings,” Watson gushed. “It will be bittersweet. It will be very scary because it’s been such a massive part of my life. It will have been nearly over a decade that I’d been playing Hermione. It’ll be tough but I’ll be ready to go I think. I’ll be ready to take on other projects. It will be exciting.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Ravenclaw from Glenn

I know they will not split the Deathly Hallows moives where I think they should (when Harry breaks the protections by uttering Voldemort’s name) but wherever it is will be interesting, because it sets up the beginning of the second movie.

I’m reminded of the split between the first and second Lord of the Rings movies. There I was enjoying the story and all the sudden it faded to black, and I slumped in my seat thinking “Oh yeah, this is the FIRST movie!”. But when the second movie opened, it had one of the most dramatic scenes of all three movies with Gandalf following the Balrog into the abyss. So I’m going to remain hopeful that the filmmakers for DH will have that sense of drama in mind when they make the break.

Posted by Ravenclaw from Glenn on January 01, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Christine

I doubt that the funeral is in … I bet the people at EW just switched Dan’s words around thinking he meant a funeral. I mean, he was probably just talking about the part where they raise their wands — there were a lot of people there anyway. So yeah, I doubt the funeral is in. I hope it is, but I’m not that optimistic… :(

Posted by Christine on January 01, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Lucy

first of all happy new year to all!!!! 2nd I hope tht they didn’t cut the funeral scene because I think tht it is a. Very important part of the book and haven’t we seen tht photo b4???? Oh well another 6 months 2 go!!!

Posted by Lucy on January 01, 2009, 06:09 PM report to moderator
fizz

omg u dnt knw hw glad i am that there is a funeral!!!!!!!! hope it really catches the sadness!!!!! i guess filmin it was like a “funneral”-oh i crack myself up!

Posted by fizz on January 01, 2009, 07:19 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix's parole officer

Dan’s comments about his character’s relationship with Ginny are so insightful. I didnt think about it but it WOULD be like kissing your sister (that you fancy).

Posted by Bellatrix's parole officer on January 01, 2009, 09:55 PM report to moderator
Jen

JKMcGonagall i think you may have nailed the hammer on the head! It very well could be the funeral getting interrupted. As for the toning down of Harry/Ginny as much as i would have liked a true to book form, i do think that due to the lack of development in OoPT, this may work better due to the running of the MOVIES. It probably develops quite nicely and means that hopefully the kiss in DH has far more impact, which would be good because i loved that scene.

I hope that in DH they add scenes in terms of Hogwarts, cause that was one thing i missed terribly in DH. So i’m all for adding scenes that include Hogwarts. I suppose expanding on the stealing the sword scene. You could have the classroom scenes, a ginny missing harry scene (you could so make that into a “second trio” scene Ginny Luna Neville). It would be good to see some more snape too. Seeing as its two movies it would so work. You’d have time too specially in the first as most of its them travelling around anyway the real action doesn’t start till the second half.

Posted by Jen on January 01, 2009, 10:27 PM report to moderator
D.Vader

From a filmmaker’s point of view, I think it makes the most sense to break up the DH films at Malfoy Manor, which makes for a pretty good climax and includes an emotional ending.

As for Dumbledore’s funeral, it was always my theory that WB moved the film back 8 months to do reshoots after realizing they’d shot themselves on the foot with all the omissions they’d made over the years. I’d like to think they’ve taken this time to shoot DD’s funeral, but my gut tells me it’s just EW screwing up. Don’t get your hopes up guys, those in charge of the HP films don’t care about the fans.

Posted by D.Vader on January 02, 2009, 12:26 AM report to moderator
ravenclawguy1972

I really do hope the put the funeral in for many reasons even if its downplayed, it will be a shame if they don’t at least give a nod to it in someway

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 on January 02, 2009, 01:03 AM report to moderator
Rhiannon

I hate Ginny Weasley.

Posted by Rhiannon on January 02, 2009, 01:33 AM report to moderator
redreh

Well Ginny hates you.

And everyone reading Dan’s quote about kissing Bonnie as a sign that he didn’t like kissing her, that he doesn’t approve of H/G, reign back those horses just a bit, ok? That’s not at all what he’s saying.

As for the funeral, I’d love for it to be there (for one of my fav R/H moments ever), but I really don’t think it is.

Whatever the case, all I pray is that they did justice to the feelings, goals, and thoughts of the true characters on the page. That’s all I ever ask for.

Posted by redreh on January 02, 2009, 02:22 AM report to moderator
horax

Perhaps I got the wrong impression but it seems that they may not have been that happy with the way the filming came out. It was not an irish wake. They might only cut to the parts at the end of the funeral.

As for the relationship between Harry and Jinny. Jinny has much more experience in relationships than Harry does. I hope that shows through when the breakup happens. She does not like it but her maturity allows her to handle it. While Harry has many conflicts that continue through book seven.

Posted by horax on January 02, 2009, 09:10 AM report to moderator
kidding

Who’s Jinny?

I know who Ginny is but this Jinny character is new.

Posted by kidding on January 02, 2009, 09:29 AM report to moderator
hirsty

But what about Ginny and Harry breaking up?
I doubt it will be in because of the whole approach to their relationship throughout the different films.

They’ve shown nothing of Ginny’s crush on Harry apart from COS or even their friendship in OOTP. They’ve dropped the big kiss which is supposed to last for what feels like days for a quick peck so they can keep the relationship low key.

They seem to miss the whole point this is Harry’s future wife and Ginny has always loved Harry. They are soulmates and destined for each other.

Posted by hirsty on January 02, 2009, 09:34 AM report to moderator
BellaSnape

HELP HELP HELP GUYS I CANT CONTAIN MYSELF ANY LONGER! Okay, I went to a movie yesterday and over the concession stand they have a screen that shows movie trailers and HBP came on except…. I dont think I should say. But its killing me. It may or may not be that surprise. I cant find it anywhere on the web.

Posted by BellaSnape on January 02, 2009, 10:59 AM report to moderator
Beth D

OK – I’ll bite…WHAT DID YOU SEE?

Posted by Beth D on January 02, 2009, 01:35 PM report to moderator

Dudley was as vast as ever, but a year's hard dieting and the discovery of a new talent had wrought quite a change in his physique. As Uncle Vernon delightedly told anyone who would listen, Dudley had recently become the Junior Heavyweight Inter-School Bo

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014