Author Cornelia Funke Comments on the work by J.K. Rowling

Celebs on HP
January 15, 2009, 11:53 AM

At the screening of the film of her novel Inkheart, author Cornelia Funke gave some new comments regarding the work of Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. Speaking to Snitchseeker, Cornelia Funke apparently said "that she admires fellow author J.K. Rowling's ability to use visual imagery rather than realistic descriptions to help readers of all ages understand difficult topics." Quotage:

She clouds your reality into a "costume." For example when she does torture, in a children's book, she goes so close to what torture is – and you can bear to look at it because she clouds it in a costume. Or when Dumbledore has the pensieve, where he puts the thoughts that bother him - he doesn't want to get rid of the memories, but he can't stand them for awhile. What a perfect way to express the human condition!

So that, I think is the task of fantasy writers that put our human condition into story - not into realistic description. And she [Rowling] can do that.

Inkheart the movie features Jim Broadbent (Professor Slughorn in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.) Thanks to Snitchseeker for emailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

tinagin

I couldn’t agree more. Jo knows the human condition.

Posted by tinagin on January 15, 2009, 11:58 AM report to moderator
Mills

i agree with what she said but not a big fan of Cornelia Funke her latest two books were terrible.

Posted by Mills on January 15, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Elder_Swear

I have been a huge fan of Cornelia Funke for such a long time, and I notice that whenever J.K. rowling puts out a new book, Cornelia always recommends it on her website. I just think its nice to see popular writers being supportive of jk rowling’s world. So many writers have spoken out in such a way that make it seem they are jealous, and others have tried desporately to use harry potter and jk rowling to make themselves more popular *stephenie meyer being wel known for prodding reporters before interviews to ask about what it feels like to be the next J.K. Rowling just so she can give a tittering laugh, a self indulgent smile, and says those are big shoes to fill"

I just finished inkdeath, and though it was dark, and there were a few things that annoyed me, I still enjoyed it overall.

Posted by Elder_Swear on January 15, 2009, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Mimblewimble

I don’t really understand what she said, but it sounds like she is being complimentary.

Posted by Mimblewimble on January 15, 2009, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Eeyore

What a great way to describe what Rowling does. Especially about the torture, which in a book being read by children, is a very difficult subject. But she’s right; rather than a lot of graphic words, you get an image of what is happening. And that ends up being more powerful. Because of the way JKR writes about diffiicult topics, even younger children can read it. But they “see” it on their own level of understanding, while still getting the point of the story.

Posted by Eeyore on January 15, 2009, 01:21 PM report to moderator
Alya

I love Cornelia Funke! Her ‘Thief Lord’ is a work of art! … I’m glad authors appreciate others in that sense… (I’ve yet to read Inkheart, though…)

Posted by Alya on January 15, 2009, 01:24 PM report to moderator
ScottMan

Jo always has such fun with symbolism. I think my favorite is the dementors, bad memories and regrets, and the only way to combat them is to summon up the most powerful positive memories you can, and focus on them…or sometimes just have a bite of chocolate.

Posted by ScottMan on January 15, 2009, 01:50 PM report to moderator
Madeline

That’s exactly what Jo does!! And I love it so much. :) I’ve never read the Inkheart books, but I’ve heard they’re really good. They’re on my miles-long list of books to read when I’m out of college.

Posted by Madeline on January 15, 2009, 02:35 PM report to moderator
liv

I totally agree! I like Funke a lot; her books are really good. I’m excited about Broadbent being in Inkheart and HBP since he’s such a good actor.

Posted by liv on January 15, 2009, 02:42 PM report to moderator
Louise

Jim Broadbent is fantastic in Inkheart, he really portrays (spelling?) the character well, I hope he does as good a job in HBP. I’m re-reading Inkheart just now and its good, but I think the Thief Lord is better.

Posted by Louise on January 15, 2009, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

LOL Millywimble. Sometimes when an author speaks metaphorically, I too draw a blank face. Clouding reality into a costume raised a “what the heck does that mean” reaction from me but as she gave an example I figured what she meant. However, “Clouding reality into a custume” still sounds like a rather silly way of putting it. But it is a great point about Jo’s writing. The most obvious example that spring to my mind are Dementors. They represent despair and depression, feelings of the human condition that literally feels like your soul been sucked out.

I agree with Elder_Swear, she sounds like a very nice person and to be recommending an author like JK is very gracious. Some author’s like Terry Pratchet and Phil Pullman tend to show a slight tendency of jealousy as they criticise her work rather than praise what she got right.

Posted by Professor Potter on January 15, 2009, 03:42 PM report to moderator
Johanna

That was lovley of her to say. I am going to read her books, I’ve been wanting to for a while and I might as well do it soon.

Professor Potter – this is exactly why I refuse to read the Terry Pratchett books (just don’t want to read something written by a grown man who can’s tand being a “second best” to JKR. And I couldn’t stand the Phil Pullman books and I read them before I ever knew of his negative comments towards JKR.

Posted by Johanna on January 15, 2009, 04:49 PM report to moderator
Lala(:

Awe, she’s so nice. I’ve been wanting to read Inkheart…. I didn’t know there was a movie till a few days ago XD

Posted by Lala(: on January 15, 2009, 06:16 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Oooh Joanna, it be a shame to boycott their books because of those flaws. Everyone has their flaws. Yes, Pratchett and Pullman are not too gracious with Jo and have come across as childish in mine (and yours) views but they are damn good story tellers! Pratchett books are incredibly charming, satirical and funny. Pullman on the other hand knows how to write epic fantasy and his Ruby in the Smoke series are pretty compelling too. Of course, none of them are as good as Rowling :)

Posted by Professor Potter on January 15, 2009, 07:09 PM report to moderator
nicole

Isn’t Jessie Cave (Lavender Brown) in Inkheart as well? In a minor character role?

Posted by nicole on January 15, 2009, 07:22 PM report to moderator

"They'll catch the maniac who did it and have him out of here in no time. I just hope he's got time to Petrify Filch before he's expelled. I'm only joking --" Ron added hastily as Ginny blanched.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014