Author Cornelia Funke Comments on the work by J.K. Rowling

Celebs on HP
January 15, 2009, 11:53 AM

At the screening of the film of her novel Inkheart, author Cornelia Funke gave some new comments regarding the work of Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. Speaking to Snitchseeker, Cornelia Funke apparently said "that she admires fellow author J.K. Rowling's ability to use visual imagery rather than realistic descriptions to help readers of all ages understand difficult topics." Quotage:

She clouds your reality into a "costume." For example when she does torture, in a children's book, she goes so close to what torture is – and you can bear to look at it because she clouds it in a costume. Or when Dumbledore has the pensieve, where he puts the thoughts that bother him - he doesn't want to get rid of the memories, but he can't stand them for awhile. What a perfect way to express the human condition!

So that, I think is the task of fantasy writers that put our human condition into story - not into realistic description. And she [Rowling] can do that.

Inkheart the movie features Jim Broadbent (Professor Slughorn in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.) Thanks to Snitchseeker for emailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

Zara

How lovely! Cornelia Funke’s work is wonderful, especially Inkheart and Thief Lord, so it’s wonderful to see her support Rowling’s work.

Posted by Zara on January 15, 2009, 08:32 PM report to moderator
Random Person

Bravo to Mrs. Funke for complimenting JKR!!!!! Cornelia is a fantastic author. Her books are amazing, especially considering that they are translated from German. I highly encourage anyone who has not read her books to do so, specifically The Thief Lord and the Ink-Trilogy.

Posted by Random Person on January 15, 2009, 08:40 PM report to moderator
paige

to nicole – jesse cave is in Inkheart she plays the part of a water nymph :) i love it when authors praise jo’s work but i absolutely hate it when others use their praise in order to boost their sales like what elder_swear was saying about stephanie meyer. i hate it how sm is constantly being compared to jo when her work is complete rubbish, about the only good thing about twilight was the first and last book, there was no need for the 2nd or 3rd and they were boring as hell. all she had to write was 2 books and be done with it but the series was drawn out probs just for profits. and dont even get me started on the movie…

Posted by paige on January 15, 2009, 09:25 PM report to moderator
Remus Lonno

I loved Inkheart, it was a refreshing change of pace to see how fictional characters cope in our world for a change. It was also lovely to see Anthea Bell still active as a translator, having enjoyed the English versions of Asterix from a very early age :)

I love how things came together for the movie — Paul Bettany blew me away in A Knight’s Tale, he’s perfect for Dustfinger. I was wondering who could play Elionr, and BAM, Helen Mirren. I’m quite looking forward to this!

Posted by Remus Lonno on January 16, 2009, 12:21 AM report to moderator
Remus Lonno

…sigh… Elinor…

Posted by Remus Lonno on January 16, 2009, 12:22 AM report to moderator
kelseycrucio

Nice what she said about Jo!
I love seeing writers compliment eachother, especially when it’s deserved.

Though I’m not a big fan of Cornelia Funke. I started reading Inkheart a few months ago and never did get through the whole thing. It just didn’t hold my attention. I do want to see the movie though.

Posted by kelseycrucio on January 16, 2009, 01:36 AM report to moderator
Kaelesa

Cornelia Funke wrote another very good book called Dragon Rider. The audio book is narrated by Brendan Frasier – with much enthusiasm I might add. I thought it was so much better than Eragon, and should have been made into a movie.

Posted by Kaelesa on January 16, 2009, 01:44 AM report to moderator
Karentheveggie

The trailer looks great, but when I first read the post I thought it said Cornelius Fudge!

Posted by Karentheveggie on January 16, 2009, 06:49 AM report to moderator
Martha

Terry Pratchett’s books are wonderful. Very funny, clever, brilliantly satirical, and irresistable. In other words, a lot like Rowling’s books in many ways. He’s one of my favorite authors. Besides he has said somewhere that his comments on Rowling were misinterpreted and that he doesn’t dislike her or her work (I’ll go find the information if I must in order to defend him). So please stop with the Pratchett insults. They are unfair. Besides, even if he is a bit jealous of Rowling and her success (and which fantasy author wouldn’t be?), or even if he hated Rowling’s books, that isn’t a good enough reason to refuse to read his books. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about books even if that involves not liking HP (impossible as that may seem to us) and, to my knowledge, Pratchett never actually said the HP books were bad or that Rowling lacked talent, did he? I never read the actual comments of his that you guys are referring to so I don’t know for sure.

Posted by Martha on January 16, 2009, 04:15 PM report to moderator
?

I liked Inkdeath, but the ending makes me think the boy at the end is going to have an adventure of his own…

Posted by ? on January 16, 2009, 04:26 PM report to moderator
Zivlok

What a wonderful and insightful way to describe what Jo does. Also, we’d known that Funke was a fan of Rowling for awhile – in all three of the Inkheart books there have been quotes from Harry Potter. In fact, a quote about the Pensieve that she references in the interview is in Inkdeath.

Posted by Zivlok on January 16, 2009, 05:14 PM report to moderator
hpboy13

I am absolutely in LOVE with the Ink-books!! Admittedly, Inkheart starts off a bit slow, but once i got into it, I couldn’t put it down! I rushed to the store to get Inkdeath when it came out, and I’m so sad that the trilogy is over! I can’t wait for the movie, even though it looks like another Ella Enchanted (in other words, a good movie, but an absolutely horrendous adaptation).

I’ve read the Thief Lord, and thought it was okay, nothing spectacular. I’ve yet to read Dragon Rider. And while I haven’t read Pratchett’s books, I have read Pullman’s. His writing can be summed up with one sentence: I liked the movie better.

Cornelia Funke is amazing, I loved the quotes from PS and GF in her books (she also quoted Pullman’s “Amber Spyglass” I believe). She’s one of those authors who isn’t just a writer, but a true reader like us. And she transferred that to Inkheart’s protagonist, Meggie, which is why I love her so much.

Posted by hpboy13 on January 16, 2009, 08:12 PM report to moderator
SybilT

Funke can’t be a very good writer if she usesmixed metaphors like “clouds it in a costume.” Good thing most of you understood what she was trying to say: that JKR disguises some things with a “costume,” such as the Cruciatus Curse for torture or the Dementors for depression.

Posted by SybilT on January 16, 2009, 09:08 PM report to moderator
Elie

That was so sweet of her! I love Cornelia Funke!

Posted by Elie on January 17, 2009, 03:25 PM report to moderator
Elie

That was so sweet of her! I love Cornelia Funke!

Posted by Elie on January 17, 2009, 03:25 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I would assume that you were going to offer me refreshment," Dumbledore said to Uncle Vernon, "but the evidence so far suggests that that would be optimistic to the point of foolishness."