Emma Thompson Makes New Comments on Decision Not to Return as Trelawney

Thompson
January 02, 2009, 07:56 PM

In an interview before the release of her latest film, Last Chance Harvey, actress Emma Thompson has made some new comments regarding her decision not to return to the part of Professor Trelawney for the final Harry Potter films. Speaking with the San Francisco Chronicle, Emma Thompson addresses the outcry over her decision, and her upcoming work on the sequel to Nanny McPhee. Quotage:

Thompson does have a creative outlet other than acting, which is her writing. She's been working on a drama about British art critic John Ruskin, and this year filming will start on the sequel to "Nanny McPhee" (2005), which she adapted from a children's book series.

While this project might seem innocent enough, "Harry Potter" fans have been all over Thompson because of reports suggesting that she chose Nanny over Sybil (in the forthcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows") when both were scheduled to be shot at the same time.

"I wasn't being rude at all," says Thompson, who adds that she loves Sybil. "It's so typical, where they take something very, very small and turn it into a big deal. I was never going to be in the next 'Harry Potter.' I sort of put that to bed."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

allie

omj omj omj omj. no no no no nooooooooo. the world is coming to the end.

Posted by allie on January 03, 2009, 12:18 AM report to moderator
The Hollow

Michael Gambon: Hello, Ms. Thompson!
Emma Thompson: Hello.
Michael Gambon: Sit down. How are you doing?
Emma Thompson: I don’t see why the ‘Potter’ fans can’t understand my obligations.
Michael Gambon: Well, they are dedicated fans. Believe me, I know their concerns.
Emma Thompson: Be that as it may…How are you doing? Something bothering you?
Michael Gambon: Oh, just got one more ‘Potter.’ Bit worried of how I’ll be received by the fans.
Emma Thompson: sighs Cheer up, it’s your last, then you’re done!

Posted by The Hollow on January 03, 2009, 12:25 AM report to moderator
marypao

It would have been nice to have her in DH but as everyone has stated – it’s only a short scene. I would have been better if they had used her for HBP.
I’m be happy as long as Gary Oldman comes back as Sirus in the forest scene.

Posted by marypao on January 03, 2009, 12:26 AM report to moderator
H

So, she says its been blown out of proportion but it still sounds like she chose “McPhee” over “Potter.” As it has been mentioned here she has a very small part; but its a good part and she should dedicate a couple of days of her life to finishing what she’s started.

Posted by H on January 03, 2009, 12:38 AM report to moderator
ravenclawguy1972

tis a shame she isn’t coming back , and i am with T-Vey I was hoping to see her take out some death eater with her crystal balls in DH

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 on January 03, 2009, 01:42 AM report to moderator
Svgbtz

I don’t even remember her from DH.

Posted by Svgbtz on January 03, 2009, 02:12 AM report to moderator
Eeyore

I find it interesting that she said she was never going to have a part in the last film anyway. Really? How does she know that, since Emma Watson said she was still waiting for a script. So Ms. Thompson, who I really do like as an actress/writer, must not have read the final HP or she would think she might have a small role.

Putting that aside, though, she was only in two of the movies anyway. She was in POA and OP, and some of the funniest deleted scenes ever were the ones in OP where Umbridge is addressing the school at the start of term feast. But then her part was cut for HBP (I checked and she’s not listed in the cast at all), so maybe that’s why she assumed that she wouldn’t be in the last movies.

The thing they could do, is show Trelawney from the back, throwing the crystal balls and passing them around. That way we could all enjoy the scene and anyone else could wear the costume. But I agree that it wouldn’t be that hard to do two or three days of shooting if she really wanted to do it, especially since they filmed Nanny McPhee in the UK as well. The only other thing listed that isn’t complete is “The Boat that Rocked”, also being filmed in the UK. I just think she doesn’t want to do it, and has found a way out.

Posted by Eeyore on January 03, 2009, 02:15 AM report to moderator
Eeyore

Just a note to clarify: the funny Trelawney scenes that were deleted were the ones where she is eating while Umbridge is talking. Emma Thompson was hillarious, looking confused and befuddled during that part. It’s too bad more of it wasn’t included in the movie.

Posted by Eeyore on January 03, 2009, 02:19 AM report to moderator
Kevinval_HPfan

Too bad she isn’t coming back as Trelawney in DH but I do hope there’s another one who will do the job.

Posted by Kevinval_HPfan on January 03, 2009, 02:20 AM report to moderator
hambro

Oh well, she was a great Trelawney. But she didn’t have a very big part in dh but it’s sad that she’s not committed to hp movies. Her choice…

Posted by hambro on January 03, 2009, 05:30 AM report to moderator
hambro

It is a big deal, Emma! I have changed my mind and I agree with you Jack, she was annoying and in the deleted scenes in ootp it just waasn’t funny, it just agrivated me. Don’t call Harry Potter small, Emma, Harry Potter is big, it’s a legend.

Posted by hambro on January 03, 2009, 05:34 AM report to moderator
MuggleQueen

“It’s so typical, where they take something very, very small and turn it into a big deal.”

They meaning us? Or they meaning the media?

Posted by MuggleQueen on January 03, 2009, 05:48 AM report to moderator
Ravenclawed

I have to admit that while I love Emma Thompson, I never thought she was a great choice for Trelawney. I think Helena Bonham Carter could have done a good job (though she’s so great as Bellatrix!)

Posted by Ravenclawed on January 03, 2009, 05:48 AM report to moderator
bec majec

I think it’s a real pity that she isn’t coming back for Deathly Hallows, i was looking forward to seeing her ’ tenis serve’ the crystal balls all over the great hall. I’ve always thought she was one of the very well cast characters in the films. Oh well, it’s her choice and it’s not like it will make a huge impact on the movies.

Posted by bec majec on January 03, 2009, 06:08 AM report to moderator
Martha

I don’t care much since her role in DH is so small. I’m more concerned about her not being in HBP where she does play a brief but important role when she reveals that Snape heard the prophecy. They better reveal that information some other way, otherwise the non-book reading movie audience will never know Snape’s role in the Potter’s deaths and that would be a completely unacceptable thing to leave out, not that I really trust WB not to cut something like that. They’ve cut really important stuff before. But if they don’t explain the whole Snape/prophecy thing (as well as Snape’s WM) somehow in HBP or DH, I will never forgive them. Snape overhearing the prophecy is so essential to his character. So I’m definitely scared now.

Posted by Martha on January 03, 2009, 06:20 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

He had been hugged by a complete stranger. He also thought he had been called a Muggle, whatever that was. He was rattled. He hurried to his car and set off for home, hoping he was imagining things, which he had never hoped before, because he didn't appro