Dan Radcliffe Talks Theater, Politics, Potter, and More in New Interview

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
January 26, 2009, 05:57 PM

There is a new interview online today from The Daily Beast with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), which features the actor speaking at great length about a number of subjects related to his craft, his experience in America, the political and social climate of today, growing up in the spotlight, and much more. (Note:  Caution to parents of younger readers regarding the mature nature of portions of the interview).  Among the topics Mr. Radcliffe discusses is his experience during the run of the play Equus, noting it is something he'll be "very sad" to see end.  Mr. Radcliffe says that his work in the theater has brought him a "certain amount of respect. It will always be my first experience on the stage," before going on to note that would be open to doing a musical in the future, " It’s just a matter of finding the right one."

Mr. Radcliffe goes on to more of his experience in the States, relating a particular privilege to be here during the recent inauguration of President Barack Obama.  Quotage:

I am so proud and happy for this country. He is everything the rest of the world liked about America and now likes again. He is both Martin Luther King and JFK. He is a pioneer. He is a symbol of progress which is what we dig about this country. What you love about England is all the old buildings and such. The traditions. I love that, too. But this is what we want from you.
Continuing on this subject, the young actor speaks of the landscape of the British political future, his British heritage, which tends to make him "go doubly British when [he is] away from home."  The actor also extends a personal invitation to the daughters of President and Mrs. Obama for "a private tour of the Harry Potter set."  Speaking then in relation to the world of Harry Potter, Dan Radcliffe observes that he has developed "two personas" to balance his day-to-day life with the sudden rise of fame.  He relates:
"It’s not even a conscious thing. Something happens...  People always say to me, “Oh, you’re so funny in interviews.” And I go, Well, I’m not really in real life particularly. That’s what fame does to you. You acquire another self."
The conversation continues, with talk of Goblet of Fire co-star Robert Pattinson's (Cedric Diggory) rise to fame and Dan's emotional approach to acting.  Daniel credits poet John Keats' theory of negative capability for this, and notes: "The truth is to be found in the things that are not certain and not solid and not easy and not simple.  Keeping your childlike attitude is important too. Having a sense of wonder about everything in the world. Harnessing that wonder is what acting is about."

Finally, the subject then turns to Mr. Radcliffe's work on the stage, and the kind of experiences he has had with various theater colleagues over the years. Acknowledging variances in the culture of theater verses film production, Mr. Radcliffe credits a wide circle of friends and homosexual colleagues during his youth as providing him with a different perception of homosexuality than his friends, who had "a rather different attitude toward it than I."

The full interview with actor Dan Radcliffe can be read via this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Morgan

aww!! dan’s so sweet and insightful. i love reading his interviews.

Posted by Morgan on January 26, 2009, 06:06 PM report to moderator
Morgan

first comment! yay!

Posted by Morgan on January 26, 2009, 06:07 PM report to moderator
Titan the Great

First Post. That is a first for me. This is my first ever post and i am the first person to post as far as I know

Posted by Titan the Great on January 26, 2009, 06:07 PM report to moderator
Titan the Great

Guess not!!!

Posted by Titan the Great on January 26, 2009, 06:08 PM report to moderator
Flora

First post, yes, but have you got anything to SAY? Read the interview at all? It was rather an interesting interview, covering a wide range of subjects. if you’re going to post, at least post something worthwhile, or what’s the point in your existence?

Posted by Flora on January 26, 2009, 06:12 PM report to moderator
tory

i think…i think this might be my favorite interview he’s ever done! so witty and clever, and the interviewer wasn’t a complete bubbleheaded jackass either!!! very impressive :)

Posted by tory on January 26, 2009, 06:20 PM report to moderator
Marie

Daniel is just so darn eloquent. I have to say, I am incredibly jealous. He always has something interesting to say. Great interview.

Posted by Marie on January 26, 2009, 06:45 PM report to moderator
celia

AWESOME interview!!! DAn is sooo intelligent. He always gives the BEST interviews.

Posted by celia on January 26, 2009, 07:08 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

Another WONDERFUL interview from Dan!!!

His interviews are always GREAT. Every time I read a new one, it seems even better than the last. He is so insightful and I LOVE his sense of humor!

I mostly liked the interviewer’s questions, but the talk about Rob Pattinson’s sex appeal has gotten OLD. Since Twilight was released, too many in the media love to compare Dan and Rob. I loved Dan’s response in this interview. I guess I have a fondness for fidgety types!

Posted by KB Prez on January 26, 2009, 07:08 PM report to moderator
Sophie

I love his interviews! He always makes such interesting statements. It’s wonderful to hear that he’s so open minded. (You know, I actually thought I was going to stop crushing on Dan as I grew up, but nah.. I’m still as in love with him at 18 as I was at 11. Probably more as we know now that he’s a semi-genius and not just a pretty face.)

Posted by Sophie on January 26, 2009, 07:11 PM report to moderator
Billy

I’m seeing Equus the 7th and I was going to bring something HP for him to sign if I get the chance to see him at the stage doors but I was told he won’t sign anything HP-related? I’m guessing because of copyright issues or something. Maybe he’ll sign my playbill if I’m lucky…

Posted by Billy on January 26, 2009, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Sonja

Billy: I´ve read somewhere that he does sign HP related stuff, but he´s very reluctant (spell????) about it…It has nothing to do with copyright issues. So I think your best chance for an autograph is to bring your playbill…Oh and he only signs one autograph for each person. So there´s no need to bring 20 playbills from friends or family…

Good luck :-)

Posted by Sonja on January 26, 2009, 07:38 PM report to moderator
Cordelia

Best DR interview ever!!! Love him!!!

Posted by Cordelia on January 26, 2009, 07:43 PM report to moderator
Lionpaws

He’s so gorgeous!

I love his interviews, they always put a smile on my face with his witty comments.

Posted by Lionpaws on January 26, 2009, 07:49 PM report to moderator
iheartpink

I LUV DAN RADCLIFFE!! it would be so totally awsome to be in a broadway musical with him or any broadway show at all.

Posted by iheartpink on January 26, 2009, 07:52 PM report to moderator

One floor down, pandemonium reigned. Somebody (and Harry had a very shrewd idea who) had set off what seemed to be an enormous crate of enchanted fireworks.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014