Dan Radcliffe Talks Theater, Politics, Potter, and More in New Interview

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
January 26, 2009, 05:57 PM

There is a new interview online today from The Daily Beast with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), which features the actor speaking at great length about a number of subjects related to his craft, his experience in America, the political and social climate of today, growing up in the spotlight, and much more. (Note:  Caution to parents of younger readers regarding the mature nature of portions of the interview).  Among the topics Mr. Radcliffe discusses is his experience during the run of the play Equus, noting it is something he'll be "very sad" to see end.  Mr. Radcliffe says that his work in the theater has brought him a "certain amount of respect. It will always be my first experience on the stage," before going on to note that would be open to doing a musical in the future, " It’s just a matter of finding the right one."

Mr. Radcliffe goes on to more of his experience in the States, relating a particular privilege to be here during the recent inauguration of President Barack Obama.  Quotage:

I am so proud and happy for this country. He is everything the rest of the world liked about America and now likes again. He is both Martin Luther King and JFK. He is a pioneer. He is a symbol of progress which is what we dig about this country. What you love about England is all the old buildings and such. The traditions. I love that, too. But this is what we want from you.
Continuing on this subject, the young actor speaks of the landscape of the British political future, his British heritage, which tends to make him "go doubly British when [he is] away from home."  The actor also extends a personal invitation to the daughters of President and Mrs. Obama for "a private tour of the Harry Potter set."  Speaking then in relation to the world of Harry Potter, Dan Radcliffe observes that he has developed "two personas" to balance his day-to-day life with the sudden rise of fame.  He relates:
"It’s not even a conscious thing. Something happens...  People always say to me, “Oh, you’re so funny in interviews.” And I go, Well, I’m not really in real life particularly. That’s what fame does to you. You acquire another self."
The conversation continues, with talk of Goblet of Fire co-star Robert Pattinson's (Cedric Diggory) rise to fame and Dan's emotional approach to acting.  Daniel credits poet John Keats' theory of negative capability for this, and notes: "The truth is to be found in the things that are not certain and not solid and not easy and not simple.  Keeping your childlike attitude is important too. Having a sense of wonder about everything in the world. Harnessing that wonder is what acting is about."

Finally, the subject then turns to Mr. Radcliffe's work on the stage, and the kind of experiences he has had with various theater colleagues over the years. Acknowledging variances in the culture of theater verses film production, Mr. Radcliffe credits a wide circle of friends and homosexual colleagues during his youth as providing him with a different perception of homosexuality than his friends, who had "a rather different attitude toward it than I."

The full interview with actor Dan Radcliffe can be read via this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Karin

Radcakesfan: Check out the interview with Rupert on ICM (www.rupert-grint.us)…

Posted by Karin on January 28, 2009, 03:10 AM report to moderator
AJWC1

Karin, you ARE new to this fandom. Radcakesfan don’t give a I’ll say “flip” about Rupert.

Posted by AJWC1 on January 28, 2009, 07:40 AM report to moderator
miriam

@ radcakesfan – I know that they all end up getting the same questions, and most of the the Dan elaborates well and the interviewers tend to warm to him, but Rupert and Emma are both intelligent young people that should be able to at least come out with something half-decent. I’ve realsied that Emma has only ever revealed surface information – she never lets her true opinions through on topics. I’ve heard her talk about about clothes and her acting, nothing about her own passions (aside from those two I suppose, and none in any great depth). And Rupert has never said anything at all interesting. I find it astonishing after all these years he’s still a blank canvas. I haven’t got a clue about what type of person he is.

Posted by miriam on January 28, 2009, 10:17 AM report to moderator
FREDDOM FIRST

I LOVE THE MOVIES, LUV THE BOOKS AND DANIEL IS VERY TALENTED. HOWEVER, I THINK HIS COMMENTS RE: OUR RECENT PRESIDENTIOAL ELECTION SHOW HOW TRULY YOUNG THE FELLOW IS, OBVIOUSLY. THOUGH IT WOULD BE NICE FOR THE WORLD TO BE DOING BACK FLIPS FOR WHO OUR PRESIDENT IS, IT IS NOT A AMERICAN IDOL SPINOFF. THEN AGAIN, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IN ENGLAND. OH WELL.

Posted by FREDDOM FIRST on January 28, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Serge Gingras

Thank you, Rose.

Posted by Serge Gingras on January 28, 2009, 01:16 PM report to moderator
Cat

How young he is? I find that Daniel’s comments show a very old soul and very knowledgeable. Over several interviews he’s made insightful comments on Obama’s policies and leadership style that shows that he appreciates substance over style, which is what a majority of America did and of course, Obama won the election. I’m sorry your candidate didn’t win, but don’t go insulting Obama supporters and calling them “young”- at least we can spell Freedom. And no one held a gun to his head and forced him to talk politics. He’s like me, you ask and I’ll give you an earful.

And after watching and reading several Rupert interviews he is more than a blank canvas. He reminds me a lot of my best friend, where if he doesn’t know you, he doesn’t really say anything to you. But, once you get to know him he’s very interesting. He seems to be very open in his performances, but as a person he’s very quiet. I think it has a lot to do with confidence about being a character vs. being himself. He probably doesn’t enjoy talking about himself. I notice he tends to open up more about Ron than he does Rupert. And there’s nothing wrong with that, I’ve noticed Dustin Hoffman is the same way, and it hasn’t affected his acting. It also doesn’t make them less intelligent or valid.

But this was a great Dan interview. In this arena he never fails. For me, he’s an okay Harry, but I loved him in every other project he’s done and I like to watch his interviews, because we’re surprisingly a lot alike and I think he’s a pretty cool dude. I not a big fan of the interviewer, but he did his research and asked great questions, so I let the little things slide. I’m a huge fan of the Daily Beast and it’s great to see him on there! I hope he’s doing well on Broadway and enjoying New York.

Posted by Cat on January 28, 2009, 02:11 PM report to moderator
Kosmo

Cat

Obama has no experience, but he makes a good speech. That is the very definition of style over substance.

Posted by Kosmo on January 28, 2009, 03:08 PM report to moderator
Rachael

That was such a great interview! Very funny. I would definetly pick him over Robert Pattinson even though I am a big Twilight fan. Twilight will never beat Harry Potter! Maliah and Sasha are so lucky!!!!!! I loved the “I know – right.” comment! Hilarious!

Posted by Rachael on January 28, 2009, 03:17 PM report to moderator
sl

Kosmo – Obama has been in office for 8 days, and he’s hit the ground running. He’s already showing a great deal of substance. Let’s see what happens (and, at least he can make a speech. I’m thrilled that we have a president who I’m pretty sure is smarter than me).

As for Dan – I think he’s very well spoken and well-informed for a 19 yr. old. His interviews are very entertaining. I also am sometimes iffy on his portrayal of Harry, yet, at the same time, I can’t imagine anyone else playing him at this point. I’m sure I’ll enjoy him in Half Blood Prince, and I really feel that his Equus experience is going to affect his Deathly Hallow’s Harry very positively.

Posted by sl on January 28, 2009, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Cat

Funny, he kept his promises on how he would run his campaign and is now doing and setting up doing the very things he promised he would as president (even while he was Pres-elect). THAT’S substance.

Posted by Cat on January 28, 2009, 05:53 PM report to moderator
Cat

So the correct phrase you’re searching for is style AND substance. Because Obama rocks.

Posted by Cat on January 28, 2009, 05:55 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

@radcakesfan, I’m a big Dan fan too and I usually get a kick out of your “affectionate” posts about him. But honestly, you can love Dan and still not bash Rupert. IGNORE THE TROLLS. They’re not worth your time.

Posted by KB Prez on January 28, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator
Kosmo

I’m happy for you that you love Obama, but to say you voted for him as substance over style is laughable when he had no experience. You even cited his leadership “style” as an example of his substance. A little slip?

Posted by Kosmo on January 28, 2009, 07:04 PM report to moderator
miriam

@ Kosmos – did it occur to you that people voted for Obama because the alternative Replican nutters probably would have been the last people they wanted in charge of their country? Gun-toting, septegenarians just aren’t that popular these days. And their, frankly weird, “caribu-Barbies” aren’t all that encouraging either… And going for the style/substqance angle – be that as it may – but at least Obama didn’t have his Dad’s reputation getting him into office like Bush…

Posted by miriam on January 29, 2009, 05:15 AM report to moderator
miriam

Apologies, I meant to type “Republican” and “Caribou”.

And also – the politics discussed in the article are intersting, but it’s certainly not THE most interesting part of the interview. Dan’s views on religion, homosexuality, acting as a profession, racism and the royal family, not to mention class, are a lot more interesting.

Posted by miriam on January 29, 2009, 05:19 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Now look here, Hermione!" said Percy. "A high-ranking Ministry official like Mr. Crouch deserves unswerving obedience from his servants --"[br]"His [i]slave[/i], you mean!" said Hermione, her voice rising passionately, "because he didn't [i]pay[/i] Winky