More on Potter the Stage Production that Might have Been

Books
January 26, 2009, 12:00 PM

The Telegraph has a short article online, with more on a possible Harry Potter stage production that might have been. The paper reports that many years ago, acclaimed theater director and producer Sir Trevor Nunn had expressed an interest in creating a stage production out of the Harry Potter novels, but when he asked, he discovered he was too late as he was told 'Oh if only you had come to us a few weeks ago. We have just sold the movie rights'," he harrumphs. "It will be a long time now before anyone is allowed to stage Harry Potter."

Reflecting now on the possibility of staging such a production, Trevor Nunn continues "The movies are so spectacular – it's a bit like The Lord of the Rings," he says. "Unless you go in the opposite direction and don't go for spectacle, there's no way you can compete."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

MuggleQueen

Haha I would love to see HP on stage

Posted by MuggleQueen on January 26, 2009, 12:03 PM report to moderator
alan

i think you could potentially take the first book and turn it into a play; that would be ok. cos the story stands on its own — it has a nice beginning, middle, and conclusive-enough end. that could have been ok.

(but just, i think, the first book!)

Posted by alan on January 26, 2009, 12:19 PM report to moderator
Liz

I think if anyone could have done it, Trevor Nunn could have.

Posted by Liz on January 26, 2009, 12:26 PM report to moderator
Maggie

I realllllyy don’t think that is a good idea

Posted by Maggie on January 26, 2009, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Eeyore

A play, maybe – like alan said – of the first book only. But I think it would have been very difficult to pull it off and not make it look silly or cheesy. And I think the people that wanted to do a musical Harry Potter should be locked away somewhere so they don’t further hurt themselves. I still shudder at the thought of HP singing and dancing around the stage.

Pat

Posted by Eeyore on January 26, 2009, 12:40 PM report to moderator
eiVega

I could see a play in the distant future…once HP is an iconic thing of the past. Right now we’re still too in the middle of it and it would just feel wrong. The play would be another medium to enjoy the story and provide nice nostalgia for the series. I think if a book like Wicked can survive a musical adaptation, Harry also has a chance…but they would have to be very creative and careful. It’s just something I don’t really want to see right now but maybe eventually.

Posted by eiVega on January 26, 2009, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Barack Obama

Wowowowo, hold your horses, Harry Potter is a fantastic book which have been read by millions, making a film version of these books is great, but a musical, who ever thought of that idea, personally, I think it wouldn’t work.
I would rather let Warner Bros. make The Tales of Beedle the Bard movie, that would be great to watch, not a MUSICAL.
Well, there you have it, a opinion from the President of United States of America

Posted by Barack Obama on January 26, 2009, 12:58 PM report to moderator
brucebat65

No, no, no not theater.
TV!
A long beautiful TV series to Canon! Masterpiece theater
style with a host and everything.

Posted by brucebat65 on January 26, 2009, 01:21 PM report to moderator
Saturn

@ Barack Obama: true, but are u REALLY Obama??

Posted by Saturn on January 26, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw from Glenn

If anyone is a fan of the series “Avatar: The Last Airbender” they did a take on this, kind of poking fun at themselves (a clever episode recap before the show finale). I have a feeling that a Harry Potter play would look a lot like that .

And I don’t believe that that is really Barack Obama or it would have said “sent from my Blackberry” in the sig.

Posted by Ravenclaw from Glenn on January 26, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Andy G

I actually think it could make a very good stage musical, and I think Nunn hit the nail right on the head when he said that you should stay away from spectacle. If you focused on the emotions and the themes you’d have many opportunities to make the characters sing, and you wouldn’t drown out the beautiful story with flashy special effects. Personally, thinking of a Dumbledore ballad singing about the power of love makes me smile and I think it could be very chilling.

Posted by Andy G on January 26, 2009, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Isabel

Imagine Harry, Hagrid and a bunch of random wizards at diagon alley singing a song called ‘He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’.

The most evil wizard of all
what’s his name
what’s his name
Vold—
Shh!
He who must not be named!

LOLOL OK I’ll stop now, I swear. But man, would it be hilarious!

Posted by Isabel on January 26, 2009, 02:23 PM report to moderator
splinched

theres only one problem with a stage production, the magic, how would you really represent all the vivid descriptions of spells and creatures jo puts in the books, bad idea, it would be cheese of the highest caliber.

Posted by splinched on January 26, 2009, 02:45 PM report to moderator
Barack Obama

To Saturn,
To answer your question, yes, I am REALLY Barack Obama.
God bless America.
Thank you.

Posted by Barack Obama on January 26, 2009, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Great Uncle Algie

That would have been great!
but mabye not a musical, I would have to agree with dan on that one
My elementry school did a harry potter play. I wonder if they made it themselves or got it from someone else
but it was an elementry school production, so it was nothing special

Posted by Great Uncle Algie on January 26, 2009, 02:58 PM report to moderator

It happened in a flash of steely talons; Malfoy let out a high-pitched scream and next moment, Hagrid was wrestling Buckbeak back into his collar as he strained to get at Malfoy, who lay curled in the grass, blood blossoming over his robes.[br]"I'm dying!