Photo of Professor McGonagall from "Half-Blood Prince"

HBP Film
January 26, 2009, 05:08 PM

Update: Originally posted  in small form back in November, there is a larger unmarked photo online tonight of actress Dame Maggie Smith in her role as Professor McGonagall from the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. You can see this photo, here.

Thanks to ScarPotter!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Tom M

I’m glad they’ve got some new clothes for the teachers to wear! I’m sick of seeing them in the same costume film after film! Don’t they ever change, or wash their clothes?? :)

Posted by Tom M on January 27, 2009, 11:03 AM report to moderator
TrioFan

Great picture of Dame Maggie Smith. She really is perfect in the role of Professor McGonagall.

I really hope that she’s given more airtime in the Deathly Hallows movies. Her scenes in that book were some of my favourites: confronting Snape, challenging Slughorn, defending the school and students, fighting Voldemort, when Harry stands up for her against the Carrows, and the emotional moment when she belives Harry died. The moment she screams “NOOOOO” just has to be in the movie. I pictured the gravitas with which Dame Smith would handle those scenes.

I too hope she is recovering from cancer. Has anyone else heard anything?

Posted by TrioFan on January 27, 2009, 11:34 AM report to moderator
Eeyore

Is there any word how she is doing? She is one of my favorite actresses, not just in HP.

And I love that picture, btw. I’m curious to see where it falls in the film.

Posted by Eeyore on January 27, 2009, 01:13 PM report to moderator
hambro

Good old maggie! I love minerva, she’s really perfect, thsi picture is interesting, i’m sure it is the opal necklace she is looking at as it corresponds witht he picture of snape and minerva and the trio. Can’t wait for the movie!….

Posted by hambro on January 27, 2009, 02:28 PM report to moderator
ele0206

Her interpretation of Minerva is just how I first imagined McGonagall when I read the first book ( and, believe me, the wonder of a seven-year old is pure and sincere). She does perfectly well the brisk manners typical of Minerva.
Anyway, I didn’t know she has cancer. I really really hope she’ll be better and sound soon.
I’m sorry if there are errors, I’m italian.

Posted by ele0206 on January 27, 2009, 03:33 PM report to moderator
decarus

I almost think you can see the necklace when you look at the desk close up.

Posted by decarus on January 27, 2009, 07:23 PM report to moderator
pixiel87

At first I would have thought this was post-Dumbledore’s death, but it’s snowing outside…. which would make it the wrong time of year. At least, it LOOKS like it’s snowing, it’s kind of hard to tell but I’m just guessing….

Posted by pixiel87 on January 27, 2009, 08:56 PM report to moderator
kay

shes old

Posted by kay on January 28, 2009, 01:43 PM report to moderator
Mobilephoto0038_thumb

She’s great as McGonagall, i’ve always thought she was just right for the part

Posted by HarriettPotter on January 30, 2009, 05:10 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hufflepuff067_thumb

Maggie Smith is looking, well, sicker? It’s nice to see her back though, she’s an amazing actress and perfect for the McGonagal role.

Posted by SylvieTheHufflepuff on January 30, 2009, 06:26 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

And we still don’t know why there’s a piano there…

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on January 30, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

I love Maggie Smith, I think she’s perfect for McGonagall.
Can’t wait for HBP!

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on January 30, 2009, 10:25 PM report to moderator
Mms_picture_thumb

Professor McGonagall looks so sad, I love Maggie! She’s such a great actress!

Posted by Kaylie Marie [FTC!] on January 31, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Greenavatar_thumb

I love Maggie Smith, she’s so perfect for Professor McGonagall! I’m so excited about the pictures, can’t wait to see her in the movie!

Posted by Vicky Granger [ROAR] *Prof Adrasteia Andraste* on February 01, 2009, 09:37 AM report to moderator
22860_thumb

Maggie Smith is fantastic. Great actress.

Posted by Steve on February 01, 2009, 12:01 PM report to moderator

"Er -- d'you want to come into Hogsmeade with me on Valentine's [br]Day?"[br]"Oooh, yes!" [Cho] said, blushing crimson and beaming at him.[br]"Right... well... that's settled, then," said Harry...

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014