Report: Stuntman for Dan Radcliffe Injured on Set of "Deathly Hallows"

DH Film
January 28, 2009, 07:57 PM

UK tabloid The Mirror is reporting tonight that a stuntman "who doubles for Harry star Daniel Radcliffe," was injured as part of prep work for filming on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The paper says that the accident with the stuntman happened while "rehearsing a flying sequence using a harness when he was sent plummeting by the blast, which was part of the stunt. He was conscious after smashing to the ground but told horrified colleagues: “I can’t feel my legs.”

The paper continues:

A source said: “The stunt double was badly hurt. He was rehearsing a flying scene which involved an explosion and it seems to have gone badly wrong. The guy was rigged up to a harness for the scene and was flying through the air.It is thought he may have been caught by the explosion and hit the ground very hard."

UPDATE: The UK Press Association now has more on this incident, with their article stating an "East of England Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed a man in his 20s had been injured on set.

He said: "Paramedics were called to Leavesden Studios after a man in his 20s sustained a significant back injury. He was stabilised at the scene and taken to Watford General Hospital." Watford General Hospital refused to comment on the man's condition, but said he had been transferred to another hospital.

The Mirror does contain a quote for a rep from Leavesden studios as follows: “We can confirm a member of the Harry Potter production was injured in an accident. We are awaiting further news.Out of respect for the family we are unable to comment further.”

TLC is working to obtain additional information on this matter, and will update when we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

radcakesfan

Still totally disgusted by those commenting on what scene it is from. Shame on you.

Sympathies and prayers to the stuntman and his family.

Posted by radcakesfan on January 29, 2009, 10:04 AM report to moderator
brucebat

My thoughts and prayers are with him!

Posted by brucebat on January 29, 2009, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Matt C

I hope the guy recovers, it’s no laughing matter if the stuntperson gets injured (or worse, dies from his injuries) — the film company might get sued and the guy could end up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

This incident is a clear reason why virtually all film productions (and some TV shows) have stunt doubles — so that the actual actor doesn’t get hurt and delay production. Heck, even Warners didn’t want Christian Bale to ride the Batpod for the action scenes in “Dark Knight” in fear that he might injure himself.

And as far as we know, this happened in pre-production. Radcliffe doesn’t start work on DH until a week or two from now (as does Emma and Rupert), and the director and crew want to go over the big set pieces and make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. This won’t delay production and release of DH pt. 1 unless one of the actors get injured.

Posted by Matt C on January 29, 2009, 10:13 AM report to moderator
Jen

Ouch that sucks! Not feeling your legs is never a good sign…….hope he recovers.

Posted by Jen on January 29, 2009, 10:40 AM report to moderator
BellaSnape

My prayers are with him, but on another note that must be the risk of a stuntman. I hope he recovers, if not they must have another to fill in for Daniel I mean they cant just quit the sequence. It sounds as though they were filming the the Seven Potters chapter to me. That Death Eater chase and fight and blast in the sky. Wow makes me happy to know that may be.

Posted by BellaSnape on January 29, 2009, 11:09 AM report to moderator
BellaSnape

I know that Helena doesnt start her work as Bellatrix until February sometime and Alan doesnt start his work as Snape until March because that is when he and Ralph Fiennes are both available to work together.

Posted by BellaSnape on January 29, 2009, 11:12 AM report to moderator
snape_snake_snack

I hope he gets better! It’s front news on Yahoo! now… But could we not get ahead of ourselves and wait for an official comment. I mean it’ the Mirror reporting, think of it as an army of Skeeters waiting for an accident and spinning it into a tragedy.

Posted by snape_snake_snack on January 29, 2009, 11:54 AM report to moderator
Tiddlywinks

I sure hope he recovers. Thanks to those of you from the area who have been able to report on his transfer to the specialty hospital and the surgery. I pray that the doctors will be able to repair the damage, so he can walk again. May the rest of the filming be injury free.

Posted by Tiddlywinks on January 29, 2009, 11:56 AM report to moderator
MA

That is sad and my prayers go out to the stuntman and his family. I agree with the people who said filming should be stopped. I hope the stuntman’s not paralyzed. I know that stuntmen are trained in how to land and deal with crashes to minimize long term damage. As bad a state as the stuntman is in, he likely saved himself from something even worse. The regular actors aren’t trained that way and will be using the same eqipment. Daniel will have to be on the harness, too, for closeups, and who knows how many other actors/stuntmen. So I pray for a full recovery for the stuntman and that they stop the filming and figure out what went wrong. Better to be overcautious and double check everything than someone else get hurt.

Posted by MA on January 29, 2009, 12:15 PM report to moderator
Scott

I hope he is ok.

Posted by Scott on January 29, 2009, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Lapis Lazuli

Spinal injuries are scary, I hope he’ll be able to recover and walk again.

Posted by Lapis Lazuli on January 29, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Marcheline

I’m with the ones just hoping the guy recovers okay. Discussing what scene it was is a little creepy, in my opinion. Does it really matter when the guy might never walk again? Jeez.

Posted by Marcheline on January 29, 2009, 12:48 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

Marcheline, I agree. I don’t care what scene it was. If it’s a back injury, it could be very serious. I hope he’s going to be OK.

Posted by KB Prez on January 29, 2009, 01:12 PM report to moderator
eiVega

This is horrible and tragic! My heart and prayers goes out to the poor boy. This is not a moment for comedy guys, so please drop the tasteless comments. Here we have a HUMAN BEING who has been seriously injured, could potentially be paralyzed and may have just ended his career. This is no laughing matter.

I was at Universal Studios not too long ago and the tram guide made a joke about being able to replace stunt doubles when they get hurt that absolutely disgusted me. They are STILL PEOPLE and still have dignity and worth.

Our only concern right now should be his health and recovery. It doesn’t matter how much worker’s comp he’ll get, what scene they were prepping, will this delay the movie, what silly magic spell would have saved him.

We should be caring about the person right now. Maybe Leaky can organize a Get-Well card drive or something? I truly hope he gets out of this okay and recovers swiftly. He’ll be in my prayers.

Posted by eiVega on January 29, 2009, 01:13 PM report to moderator
Donna

I am very sorry to hear about this. I will keep the young man and his family
in my prayers. Hope to hear that he will be OK.

Posted by Donna on January 29, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator

"[Percy's] not himself. His exam results came the day before you did; twelve O.W.L.s and he hardly gloated at all."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014