The Bravest Man I Ever Knew

Character Birthdays
January 09, 2009, 06:09 AM

Today, the calendar on JKRowling.com marks another birthday, but for us here at Leaky, this marks a day meant for reflection, remembrance and perhaps even celebration of a character who so vividly filled the pages of the Harry Potter series.  To some, this character will remain  a nasty, unpleasant man, a villain, others love and adore this complex and fascinating character who still merits long discussion in our fandom. To Harry, he was, quite simply,  the bravest man he ever knew.

Happy Birthday, Severus Snape!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Character Birthdays News

stitch

i never thought a book could make me cry unless it was an incredibly sad scene. but i did cry at “albus severus…the bravest man i ever knew”.

i had hoped SO MUCH that he would turn out to be the man i thought he was, and it felt so good, not only to see it actually play out that way, but to see harry so strongly aknowlage him as such!

i was SO FRIGGIN’ HAPPY!!

Posted by stitch on January 09, 2009, 02:09 PM report to moderator
Iggy

Happy Birthday, Professor! :D

Posted by Iggy on January 09, 2009, 02:15 PM report to moderator
Jade

Happy birthday, Severus. <3

Posted by Jade on January 09, 2009, 02:28 PM report to moderator
KatetheKeeper

Happy Birthday!!!

Posted by KatetheKeeper on January 09, 2009, 02:48 PM report to moderator
TrailerParkPrincess

Happy Birthday Severus. Just for the record, I never doubted trusting you. I miss you terribly.

Posted by TrailerParkPrincess on January 09, 2009, 02:59 PM report to moderator
mandy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SNAPE!!!,.I think you are one of the most complex characters ever,and really the bravest man ever. SNAPE IS A SYTHGRIFF!a brave slytherin!=D

Posted by mandy on January 09, 2009, 03:12 PM report to moderator
Bee

Happy birthday Severus! (^_^)

Posted by Bee on January 09, 2009, 03:19 PM report to moderator
Dory

Happy birthday, Severus Snape! Your sacrifice will always be celebrated. As will your hair.

Posted by Dory on January 09, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator
M

Oh, this is also the birthday of my dead best friend, she would have liked to share her birthday with Snape…

Posted by M on January 09, 2009, 04:45 PM report to moderator
Cat

Happy birthday Sev!
We have an incredible advantage (as readers) to know the thoughts and feelings of Harry. But in the final moments, when we discover the “real” Severus Snape, and his motivation, it is such an epiphany … the depth, complexity, torment, loneliness, and tragedy of his life. Truly a conflicted and horribly damaged person … a person capable of compassion and unsurpassed rancor, one can only feel sorry for him and admire him at the same time.
A MARVELOUS Character study!

Posted by Cat on January 09, 2009, 04:57 PM report to moderator
Me

Snape was the most AMAZING character,
Happy birthday Snapey:D

Posted by Me on January 09, 2009, 05:02 PM report to moderator
Professor Lily

There were two points in Deathly Hallows when I completely broke down: one, when Neville killed Nagini. And two, when Harry bent down to his young son and said quietly, "Albus Severus . . . he was the bravest man I ever knew . . . "

Posted by Professor Lily on January 09, 2009, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Witchchylde

Now where’s that elf-made wine gotten off to? I need to toast Severus!

Posted by Witchchylde on January 09, 2009, 05:09 PM report to moderator
Kerri

Here’s to Prof. Snape:
A True Wizard on the Inside.

Posted by Kerri on January 09, 2009, 05:19 PM report to moderator
Martha

Happy birthday Snape! You are truly the most wonderful and complex anti-hero in all of literature. I hope you somehow manage to reconcile with Lily and the marauders in the afterlife. That would make me really happy.

“Good night, sweet prince and may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.”
-Shakespeare (if anyone’s curious about the quote, it’s part of Horatio’s eulogy for his best friend Hamlet. I don’t know, it seemed appropriate here for some reason, I guess because Snape’s death really reminds me of Hamlet’s now that I think about it and I’m a Shakespeare geek (I really hope I got the quote right, it’s been quite a while since I’ve read Hamlet and I’ll be forever ashamed if I got it wrong), so anyway I’m going to stop before I start making comparisons between the characters of Snape and Hamlet. I can already think of a ton of similarities just as I’m writing this, I guess that’s what I get for being an English major and being taught to overanlyze everything, but darn it, there really are a lot of similarities between the two characters, both in terms of character personality (Hamlet would probably be in Slytherin too, lol) and even some elements of the plot too; someone should definitely write an essay on this. That would be too awesome.

Posted by Martha on January 09, 2009, 05:31 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"What exactly are you so happy about?" Harry asked her.[br]"Oh Harry, don't you see?" Hermione breathed. If she could have done one thing to make absolutely sure that every single person in this school will read your interview, it was banning it!"