Updated: Michael Gambon Taken Ill; to be Replaced in UK Stage Production by Richard Griffiths

HP Cast
October 02, 2009, 11:00 AM

UPDATE: TLC has spoken directly to reps for Michael Gambon, who have reassured us that the beloved actor is on the road to recovery from this minor illness, and will be back to work, up and jumping again in a few weeks time. Of special interest to Harry Potter fans is word that yes indeed, Michael Gambon will be able to film his role as the beloved Albus Dumbledore for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows later this fall.

What's On Stage is reporting today that actor Michael Gambon (Professor Dumbledore) has canceled his upcoming appearance in a UK play this fall due to an undisclosed illness. While the appearance of this acclaimed actor on the stage again was widely anticipated, the part will now be performed by fellow Harry Potter actor and Tony award winner Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon). Quotage:

"Michael Gambon has pulled out of the upcoming world premiere of Alan Bennett’s new play The Habit of Art under doctor’s advice while he recovers from an undisclosed minor illness. He will be replaced by Richard Griffiths as poet WH Auden opposite Alex Jennings as composer Benjamin Britten in the production, directed by NT artistic director Nicholas Hytner which is still due to open in the NT Lyttelton on 17 November 2009 (previews from 5 November).  The actor said today: "I’m really disappointed to be pulling out of this play, as I’m temporarily not firing on all cylinders. The timing is very unfortunate, but I have been told to rest for a couple of weeks. This means I must let the show go on without me."

Please join us here at TLC as we wish Mr. Gambon a very speedy recovery.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP Cast News

I don’t get it… there’s kind of a big difference between these two dudes… why wouldn’t they pick someone who looks more similar? Any who… I hope he gets better :(

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on October 02, 2009, 08:31 PM report to moderator
Weddingedwardandbella-560x384_thumb

I hope this isn’t one of those things that tells you that he just has a bad bronchitis or something then we find out later that he has lung CA..O my word…

Posted by renaeofgryffindor on October 02, 2009, 08:42 PM report to moderator

GET WELL SOON!!!

Posted by ravenclaw_girl42 on October 02, 2009, 08:52 PM report to moderator
Electric_guitar_thumb

Don’t die Gambon, first you need to read the books!

Posted by Lloyd on October 02, 2009, 09:21 PM report to moderator
Orderphoenix_thumb

Hope you feel better soon.

Posted by superman82 on October 02, 2009, 10:08 PM report to moderator
R_film_02trio_study_thumb

Get well soon, Sir Michael.

Posted by LoyalGryffindor90 on October 02, 2009, 10:23 PM report to moderator
Pygmy_puff_thumb

Eh, Michael Gambon is okay, but I like Richard Harris better. I mean, Gambon didn’t even read the books! I understand how that might help acting in some situations, but reading the books would give him such a deeper meaning of his character! He’s a loser, he can stay sick for all I care. Maybe then he’ll have time to read the damn books…

Posted by arnoldismyHERO on October 02, 2009, 10:57 PM report to moderator
Pygmy_puff_thumb

Posted by arnoldismyHERO on October 02, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Get well soon, Gambon! :o(
Break a leg, Griffiths! :o)

36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

Be well, Sir Michael. Good Karma and energies….

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on October 03, 2009, 12:06 AM report to moderator
36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

arnoldismyHERO…highly uncalled for. The man is ill….this is not about wether or not he read the books, or how you think he should have played the character…etc.Please save your vitriol for another time.

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on October 03, 2009, 12:10 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

oh, Dumbledore #2, our thoughts and prayers and hopes are out to you for a speedy recovery!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on October 03, 2009, 12:20 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

and arnoldismyHERO was that really neccisary.
the man is sick! you dont wish ill tidings upon someone just because you dont like him! have some respect for someone who is not feeling well and wish them well! that was completely disrespectful and rude.

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on October 03, 2009, 12:54 AM report to moderator
M005_edited-1_thumb

I hope ‘minor’ illness, doesn’t turn into ‘major’. Get well soon, Professor!:)

Posted by ginevrapotter07 on October 03, 2009, 01:08 AM report to moderator
M005_edited-1_thumb

We don’t want another Dumbledore to ‘go’. Or else I’ll call the character cursed.

Posted by ginevrapotter07 on October 03, 2009, 01:11 AM report to moderator

"Malfoy's been giving generously to all sorts of things for years... Gets him in with the right people... then he can ask favors... delay laws he doesn't want passed... Oh, he's very well connected, Lucius Malfoy..."