Follow Up: Science of Harry Potter's World Display Now a Traveling Exhibition

Books
October 20, 2009, 09:25 AM

Back in 2008, TLC first told you of a special Harry Potter display, called Harry Potter’s World: Renaissance Science, Magic, and Medicine which "explores Harry Potter’s world, its roots in Renaissance science, and the ethical questions that affected not only the wizards of Harry Potter, but also the historical thinkers featured in the series.” In conjunction with the ALA, three copies of the exhibition are now traveling to various libraries and universities all across the US, with the first of the venues now open to the public in Charleston, IL, Lewisville, TX and New Britain, CT. Many more stops are planned through 2012, with the full schedule now available at this link. Update: Thanks to author Travis Prinzi (thehogshead.org) and reader Jan who let us know there are some dates missing from the schedule, with more available here

This exhibition has some fascinating background and insight on 'real life' things as well as the magical contained within the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling such as Potions, Herbology, Fantastic Beasts, Magical Creatures, and much more. We also encourage you to check out these links (online activities, higher education, middle &high school lesson plans & discussion topics) for additional material. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

M005_edited-1_thumb

First! Love it! :)

Posted by ginevrapotter07 on October 20, 2009, 09:39 AM report to moderator
M005_edited-1_thumb

First! Love it! :)

Posted by ginevrapotter07 on October 20, 2009, 09:39 AM report to moderator
Dsc_0249_thumb

Would be amazing if I lived in the US :/

Posted by OliviavdB on October 20, 2009, 09:44 AM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

Woot! It’s coming to Williamsport in 2011. That’s an awful long time to wait, though.

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on October 20, 2009, 10:12 AM report to moderator
Dsc05228_thumb

I will totally be there and maybe they will let you take pictures at this exhibit :)

Posted by ProfKnight on October 20, 2009, 10:41 AM report to moderator
Image

I need to wait until 2012 then go to San Diego.

Posted by magicmaniac on October 20, 2009, 11:02 AM report to moderator
Peeps_thumb

Wow, a travelling exhibit. Sounds quite interesting. Of course, if it’s about Harry Potter I would absolutley adore it, and quite possibly die if I can’t go, but I am running low on money at the moment and saving for LC ’11! w00t!!!

Posted by iWeasley on October 20, 2009, 11:39 AM report to moderator

xD Nice!

Posted by humbert0 on October 20, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

Sounds very cool, but it is not science, it is magic. Duh.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on October 20, 2009, 01:35 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

Cool. Hope it comes to NH!!!

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on October 20, 2009, 01:36 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

Hope it comes to NH!!

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on October 20, 2009, 01:36 PM report to moderator
Bookworm_thumb

Nothing in MA or RI (though I can’t really complain since I’ll be seeing the other HP exhibit soon)…I did, however, notice that it’ll be in Orlando July 24, 2011; maybe I can extend my LeakyCon trip long enough to see the display. :)

Posted by Bookworm Jen on October 20, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

And of course, it’s not coming close to me:( I guess I’ll have to drive to KC to see it:(

Posted by JessSnape on October 20, 2009, 02:09 PM report to moderator
Travisspeaking_thumb

There are a handful of dates that aren’t on this list, actually. Originally, this traveling exhibition was only going to a few places (one of which I’m speaking at). Here’s the rest of the schedule: http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/ppo/programming/potter/potter-ssn-itinerary.cfm

Posted by Travis Prinzi on October 20, 2009, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Harrypotter_thumb

I love it!! It’s nice that many of us are still enthusiastic on HP.

Posted by MikeMagpuyo on October 20, 2009, 02:38 PM report to moderator

"Oh, no, not you," he moaned.[br]"Doesn't know what he's saying," said Lockhart loudly to the anxious crowd of Gryffindors pressing around them. "Not to worry, Harry. I'm about to fix your arm."[br][i]"No!"[/i] said Harry. "I'll keep it like this, thanks.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014